PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 9r17 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output...

Pages : [1] 2 3

jdiner
07-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com (http://www.cygwin.com)

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-15-2004, 11:05 PM
TyTool 9r17 with DVD Support. The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it.

VSplit HAS BEEN updated to match this release and has been renumbers to match to make it clear. It is now vsplit9r16.exe. Also in this release are the unix versions of vsplit and the custom MPEG2DLL.so that is the equivilent of the libmpeg2.dll under windows. This library was renamed to avoid conflicts with an existing unix library of a similar nature.

Version 9 is a major upgrade from the earlier 8 series of TyTool. It adds Frame/Field Accurate Editing (FAE) to the mix. 9r16 adds substantially better MPG/VOB input support now with Dolby/AC-3 code as well.

Please check the included docs for information about it. The release notes for 9r1 up to the current as each contains detailed informtion about the FAE editing process and other changes.

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

123- Fixed the vob output for the Sony DVD players. The key was the internal buffer usage and the arrangement of data.

361- Added Ty/TMF/VOB-MPG source file type to the key files when they are generated. Right now all 3 types are supported during generation.

362- Rolled up the keyfile version to the next release number.

363- Added VOB/MPG reading support to the GOP editor.

367- Looked with great care at the MPEG files that PCI sat cards output. TyTool/GopEditor can now edit those types of files as well.

368- Fixed the new-mux being forced on, when an old mux call is made it now resets the flag allowing for both to be used correctly.

369- Fixed/changed the key file generation to handle the VOB-MPG and TMF files. Thought I had it before but several bugs crept along and the came back to bite me.

372- What is causing the audio errors that are now showing up in the MPG source files when making a DVD. The code was looking for a header byte 0xFC in the wrong place. Oops. That bug has been there for a very long time.

373- Fix the old mux'er be able to deal with these new non-TIVO mpeg sources.

374- Fix the new mux'er to properly handle that "we are right at the end" case when dealing with PTS values etc...

377- The mpeg files coming from some sat cards are serious crap. One had 13meg of 0 bytes, with no framing or information of any kind in it. Seriously overloaded the internal buffers.

379- Updated the VOB/MUX reader in GopEditor to be the same as the newer stuff in TyTool. They had gotten out of sync while trying to fix problems from the early beta testers.

380- Removed a few remaining static variables from TyTool that had been left over from various testing phases when dealing with the source files being MPEGs.

389- Fix the Just1Gop() code to give all that is expected. It has been broken this entire time. When doing editing occasionally, actually probably quite often, the display would include a few less fields in the editing display than it should have. This has been fixed.

391- Fixed the loading of BMPs or JPGs from a template file. It was broken for some time. As mentioned in the thread it was missing the code to set what was read into the reader.

394- Fixed everything that was showing up with a bad stream. So far everything I have been sent, baring the HD streams, has been fixed.

9r15a - Removed the debug "hit enter" from the DOS vsplit9r15 program.

9r16- Added the following:

395- Added the needed fixes for HDTivo TyStreams to be processed.

396- Added support for Dolby/AC-3 MPG/VOB files on import.

397- Make the unix version of VSplit produce the same key files that the Win32 code produces.

Lots of other very small bug fixes. Things to do with audio tracking etc... Those with problems streams will want to try them again.

9r17- Added the following:
401- Make the tserver window position a remembered/saved thing.
402- Get a longer UK stream, for testing the complained about failures.
403- Fixed the UK bug.

Once again a few other very small bug fixes.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Alright it is up. The new thread is here. So what is actually new... The main points:

1- vsplit has been updated and now has the same code for splitting, mux'ing, vob'ing, the new vob/mux, etc... It is found in the TyTool9r15/ directory. It must be left there to run as just like tyTool it requires the libmpeg2.dll file and the TyTranscodeDLL.dll and so on...

To access the new muxer mode use the -w flag along with the other flags to get it into that new mode.

2- The unix version of the vsplit tool is present in the unix-vsplit9r15 directory. The libmpeg2.dll file has been renamed to MPEG2DLL.so to avoid confusion with another unrelated library of the same name.

What is missing is the mpeg2enc program. I could not make one that would not segmentation fault and die. But when using the various files from the output under windows they are all byte identical and work properly. So a well built mpeg2enc executable should solve the problem.

3- There have been upwards of 200 bug fixes in this release. Lots and lots of things had crept in over the past little while. I took the time with this release to actually search them out and fix themk. Streams that would have cause issues before should now work correctly.

4- There has been a major major overhaul of the ability to use VOB/MPEG files as the source. With how things are made now everything I and my testers have tried to process works. I AM NOT saying it is perfect. Just that we are somewhere in the 99% success rate. If you find a bad stream look first at the stream to make sure it is good/correct before contacting me. I have done just about as much as I intend to with that portion of the code for now.

5- Coupled with #4 is the ability to FAE edit vob/MPEG files. You do what you did before with TyStreams. Namely:

1- Make a key file.
2- Edit the key file in GopEditor.
3- Using the Page-Up and Page-Down keys to set the FAE start and end cuts.
4- The F1 preview will also work.
5- Save the cut file and exit GopEditor.
6- Process to a new mpeg/vob the file you just edited.

6- The unix version of vsplit also has a fix for the file permissions. It now sets the correctly and makes it much easier to remove the files without constant warnings etc...

7- The last thing. Those that download TyTool will find that the first time there run it there is a simple NAG style popup. It is a request for donations. The tool is still freeware, but it would be nice if those that use it but have never donated would. It would help me a great deal personally.

The nag popup happens at the first startup and does not have anything to do with the functionality of the system. No features were removed or limited or in other ways held back.

As it is freeware those that wish to download and use without donating can do so. Those that wish to donate are greatly appriciated.

--jdiner

malfunct
07-16-2004, 12:51 AM
Looks great, Now I need to find time to process some tystreams.

jdiner
07-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Hehehe. Me too. I still have 200+ gig of streams to be processed. I have just been waiting for better copies of a few things to come back around.

--jdiner

dlang
07-16-2004, 03:31 AM
unfortunantly sourceforge is down at the moment (or at least not responding to my home machine) I'll try again later

thanks for updating vsplit on Linux

laserfan
07-16-2004, 10:39 AM
...that we love you.

You will find a more appropriate expression of my appreciation in your Xmas stocking.

koreth
07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
One of my extracted streams bombs out TyTool (9r14 and 9r15 both, so this isn't a newly introduced problem) with a "Caught the DD error with the end audio PTS" error message. Jdiner, I will PM you with the URL of the problem snippet of the .ty file.

jdiner
07-16-2004, 12:34 PM
unfortunantly sourceforge is down at the moment (or at least not responding to my home machine) I'll try again later

thanks for updating vsplit on Linux
Without a working mpeg2enc you can still test everything else but the FAE code itself.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-16-2004, 12:35 PM
One of my extracted streams bombs out TyTool (9r14 and 9r15 both, so this isn't a newly introduced problem) with a "Caught the DD error with the end audio PTS" error message. Jdiner, I will PM you with the URL of the problem snippet of the .ty file.
Yeah. That would be because the Dolby code didn't change in the new version. I thought we had the dolby problems licked but apparently not. I am out of town for work at the moment but hopefully I will get a chance to look at it a bit later today.

--jdiner

FredThompson
07-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Josh,

I've got some streams which must have errors you haven't seen yet. R15 is puking on the audio. Will send you copies sometime next week. We have one fewer family member so I've got to take off for a few days.

Bug report: GOP Editor working with one of the 352-wide trouble streams: keyfile is made properly. Dragging the GOP editor slider all the way to the right results in the window pulsing widths repeatedly as if the code is unable to decide the appropriate width for the window. The window resizes but the content stays 352-wide. Is that enough feedback or do you want to see the stream?

Darn it. Some of the streams for which keyfiles can be generated still crash GOP editor. Oh, well, guess you'll be getting a good set of test files...

jdiner
07-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Josh,

I've got some streams which must have errors you haven't seen yet. R15 is puking on the audio. Will send you copies sometime next week. We have one fewer family member so I've got to take off for a few days.

Bug report: GOP Editor working with one of the 352-wide trouble streams: keyfile is made properly. Dragging the GOP editor slider all the way to the right results in the window pulsing widths repeatedly as if the code is unable to decide the appropriate width for the window. The window resizes but the content stays 352-wide. Is that enough feedback or do you want to see the stream?
Very sorry for your loss.

I will need to see the stream to know what is going on. I work with 352 streams alot and that does not happen. But it does check each GOP to see the size. I wonder if that stream is actually changing sizes internally.

--jdiner

contemplativo
07-16-2004, 04:09 PM
What I'd like to do is take multiple unrelated streams...which would have mismatched timecodes and PTS/DTS codes and turn them into a single program stream with patched timecodes and PTS/DTS codes.

Part of the reason for the new MPG/VOB reader was to get this exact thing to work better. The code will stitch things together in such a way that they will line up perfectly every time. It will be ... "seemless".

Would correcting timecodes to show correct playback length and remove "gaps" in timecodes be something you would handle as well?

Yes. That is part of the process. To put them together 100% correctly rather than just smashing the file together.

First-time poster, long-time reader of your threads...

Did the patching of timecodes and PTS/DTS codes for producing a seemless stream make it into the new release?

Thank you for making your body of work available to us.

jdiner
07-16-2004, 06:16 PM
First-time poster, long-time reader of your threads...

Did the patching of timecodes and PTS/DTS codes for producing a seemless stream make it into the new release?

Thank you for making your body of work available to us.
No. Like I mentioned when it was discussed I had put a freeze on things and was only doing testing and bug fixes there at the end. It will make it into some future release.

--jdiner

ttabbal
07-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the updated Linux VSplit!! That is going to come in very handy if I ever get a spare minute to work on my player project. It sounds like it will work well for my DVDs under Windows as well. Many thanks for the great work!!

KEC
07-16-2004, 10:57 PM
Only GOP accurate cuts occur when using the vsplit9r15.exe "-p" option or TyToolr15 "File->Split Multiplex File(s)" menu selection.

These two cutlist files will have the same results when using the vsplit9r15.exe "-p" option or TyToolr15 "File->Split Multiplex File(s)" menu selection.

# This cut file created by the TyTool GOP Editor...

00:00:00.000 00:00:30.590 -1 -1
00:09:26.209 00:11:28.965 -1 -1
00:16:18.504 00:18:23.312 -1 -1
00:28:35.924 00:30:42.367 -1 -1
00:35:13.705 00:37:19.547 -1 -1
00:45:03.494 00:47:37.131 -1 -1
00:55:44.301 00:58:16.569 -1 -1
00:59:05.318 13:15:21.858 -1 -1
# Chapters!
# Done!

00:09:26.209 00:11:28.965 65 33
00:16:18.504 00:18:23.312 -1 33
00:28:35.924 00:30:42.367 77 29
00:35:13.705 00:37:19.547 60 15
00:45:03.494 00:47:37.131 58 -1
00:55:44.301 00:58:16.569 98 44
# Chapters!
# Done!

KEC
07-16-2004, 11:03 PM
When not using the "-p" option and processing a .ty file with a cutlist, I need to hit enter after the "save file out here..." message is displayed or else the two mpegenc temp files just sit around and vsplit9r15 does not continue.

I am using Win2K and a command line like the following:
C:\Program Files\TyTool9r15>vsplit9r15 -m -c"k:\1.ty.cut" k:\1.ty k:\1 k:\1

jdiner
07-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Only GOP accurate cuts occur when using the vsplit9r15.exe "-p" option or TyToolr15 "File->Split Multiplex File(s)" menu selection.

These two cutlist files will have the same results when using the vsplit9r15.exe "-p" option or TyToolr15 "File->Split Multiplex File(s)" menu selection.

00:09:26.209 00:11:28.965 -1 -1
00:16:18.504 00:18:23.312 -1 -1
00:28:35.924 00:30:42.367 -1 -1
00:35:13.705 00:37:19.547 -1 -1
00:45:03.494 00:47:37.131 -1 -1
00:55:44.301 00:58:16.569 -1 -1
# Chapters!
# Done!

00:09:26.209 00:11:28.965 65 33
00:16:18.504 00:18:23.312 -1 33
00:28:35.924 00:30:42.367 77 29
00:35:13.705 00:37:19.547 60 15
00:45:03.494 00:47:37.131 58 -1
00:55:44.301 00:58:16.569 98 44
# Chapters!
# Done!

The first is a GOP only cut file.

The second is mixed which can lead to issue. But apparently things were not connected correctly. Oh well. I will get to it some day. The split mux'er was done to try and keep someone happy and has been nothing but trouble ever since.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-17-2004, 03:52 PM
When not using the "-p" option and processing a .ty file with a cutlist, I need to hit enter after the "save file out here..." message is displayed or else the two mpegenc temp files just sit around and vsplit9r15 does not continue.

I am using Win2K and a command line like the following:
C:\Program Files\TyTool9r15>vsplit9r15 -m -c"k:\1.ty.cut" k:\1.ty k:\1 k:\1
Oops. Would seem some of the last minute testing code remained. I will have to remove that.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Alright the main archive has been re-released with a vsplit for DOS program without the pause during FAE processing.

--jdiner

BoB-O TiVo
07-17-2004, 04:43 PM
I have a TY file that I can make the key file for just fine, but it crashes the GOP Editor when I try to make a cut file. It did this with 14 and now 15. Any interested in seeing the TY or key file(s)?

Thanks for all your hard work!

BoB

jdiner
07-17-2004, 04:45 PM
I have a TY file that I can make the key file for just fine, but it crashes the GOP Editor when I try to make a cut file. It did this with 14 and now 15. Any interested in seeing the TY or key file(s)?

BoB
I need the TyStream file not the key file. What is the size of the file. Can you put it up somewhere where I can down it from?

Further how did it play on the tivo. It is fully possible to have something that is such crap no processing of it is possible. I have seen some streams that are beyond garbage...

--jdiner

skarmer
07-17-2004, 08:38 PM
I am currently involved in a project that requires:

1) Recording TV on my Tivo (Networked)
2) Moving to a video editing program (possibly Adobe Premier)
3) Exporting to create a VHS (exported through DV camera to VHS)

I have a networked Tivo and am attempting to use TyTool V9R15 to do this.
Everytime I create an mpg file it plays properly in an mpg player (windows media player) however each time I import it into Adobe Premier the audio starts out in sync and grows out of sync as the mpg is played.
I have seen an entry in the forum that some programs check the timing at the begining and does not check again. This may be the root cause of this situation.

So the question is, what would be the method using TyTool to extract Video,
edit it and export it to DV camera and ultimately to VHS without losing audio sync?

Thank you in advance
Steven Kramer

redstone
07-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot for your efforts. I know this release was not supposed to handle HD-TIVO files but it is a step in that direction.

All of the HD clips that used to crash the 14 version are being processed,albeit with warnings.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that IN & OUT that you have now plays as a VOB file nearly perfectly from MYHD.

Great going!

--JQ

lenroc
07-17-2004, 09:34 PM
So the question is, what would be the method using TyTool to extract Video, edit it and export it to DV camera and ultimately to VHS without losing audio sync?

How much editing do you need to do? Can you stand linear editing, or do you actually need the nonlinear editing features afforded by Adobe Premiere?

If you're just trying to cut ads or other irrelevant sections out, you can just use TyTools to do the editing. Then the only trick would be getting the video to play out over the Firewire port of your computer so your DV camera can read it.

skarmer
07-17-2004, 10:47 PM
We have a need to assemble clips from multiple TV shows. In addtion we need to place transition effects in between the clips. Does not seem like I can do this directly in TyTools.

jdiner
07-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Fixed it. You have a crap stream in a brand new way. Check your PMs...

--jdiner

jdiner
07-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks a lot for your efforts. I know this release was not supposed to handle HD-TIVO files but it is a step in that direction.

All of the HD clips that used to crash the 14 version are being processed,albeit with warnings.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that IN & OUT that you have now plays as a VOB file nearly perfectly from MYHD.
Interesting. So at least some of what was going wrong before was massive buffer size issues.

So what kinds of warnings were you getting. Post them in the other thread or send me a PM or something.

IN & OUT? I didn't know I had a clip of that. I have not yet tried to load anything I was sent. I have still been looking for various pieces of information.

--jdiner

bato
07-18-2004, 07:45 AM

Check your PM. It's better to post this question in a new thread and remove these posts (check the rules for this thread at first post). You can post my PM in your new thread if you want.

Hi8
07-18-2004, 09:52 AM

Steven Kramer

I had to do something like that in the past, I recorded with my tivo, fed the output into my Hi8 / Digital8 camcorder then went into Premiere. it's a bit lossy starting from an analog source, but TiVo quality ain't to bad out the S-Video port. I'm not sure if your DV camera can capture from line-in but perhaps it's worth a try if it is. ??

Hi8
07-18-2004, 10:03 AM
jdiner;

When I first saw this, I jumped to the conclusion that you meant standard VOB, and MPGs. Probably because I like the FAE interface and there really isn't anything out there that can edit/cut VOB files natively.

From time to time I have a need to extract a scene from a commerical DVD. I tried TyTool 9r15 on a VOB but it crashes, it does start either creating a keyfile or Muxing if I try but at some point everything I've tried fails at some point.

Was/Is it ever your intention to include those file formats for compatibility?

jdiner
07-18-2004, 12:31 PM
When I first saw this, I jumped to the conclusion that you meant standard VOB, and MPGs. Probably because I like the FAE interface and there really isn't anything out there that can edit/cut VOB files natively.

Yeah. That was the intention. I am now able to edit MPEG-2 files, both PS and VOB, that come from the Tivo, my own stuff, the WWW, a number of PCI sat cards, DISH PCRs, etc... Infact I don't have a single file that causes problems with TyTool.

From time to time I have a need to extract a scene from a commerical DVD. I tried TyTool 9r15 on a VOB but it crashes, it does start either creating a keyfile or Muxing if I try but at some point everything I've tried fails at some point.

Something mut be wierd with your files. Something about the nature of the source. A much higher data rate than expected, odd packing and padding, not decrypted or something. Several of the early beta testers here on this forum have together tested more than a hundred MPG/VOB files without failure. So look to what you are doing to try and find the difference.

Was/Is it ever your intention to include those file formats for compatibility?
Yeah. That was the point of this whole last release. I thought I had made that plenty clear.

--jdiner

Hi8
07-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah. That was the intention. I am now able to edit MPEG-2 files, both PS and VOB, that come from the Tivo, my own stuff, the WWW, a number of PCI sat cards, DISH PCRs, etc... Infact I don't have a single file that causes problems with TyTool.

Something mut be wierd with your files. Something about the nature of the source. A much higher data rate than expected, odd packing and padding, not decrypted or something. Several of the early beta testers here on this forum have together tested more than a hundred MPG/VOB files without failure. So look to what you are doing to try and find the difference.

Yeah. That was the point of this whole last release. I thought I had made that plenty clear.

--jdiner

Humm.. It does infact, and I'm doing it right now actually.. work with previously created DVD-R discs created from TiVo streams using a previous version of TyTool ...

But, commerical DVD's are where I'm running into crashes. I'll keep trying others to see if I can find a common thread. I extract the VOBs using SmartRipper - which removes the protection.

(edit) I think it was clear that's why I tried it as soon as it was released, but then after it was crashing I started second guessing my interpretation of the posts. I specifically saw reference to the PC SAT cards but didn't recall anything else.

ronnythunder
07-18-2004, 12:55 PM
hi8, did you try to play the vobs with mplayer or the like after ripping? that's always my first test when i'm having troubles with a vob.

ronny

jdiner
07-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Hummm. I know nothing about smartripper or what it does/doesn't do to VOBs. To be honest I am uncomfortable trying specifically to make things work on commercials disks. Copyright laws can be a real can of worms.

--jdiner

Hi8
07-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Hummm. I know nothing about smartripper or what it does/doesn't do to VOBs. To be honest I am uncomfortable trying specifically to make things work on commercials disks. Copyright laws can be a real can of worms.

--jdiner

I tried another that was extracted using DVDShrink and that WORKED! wow.. this is really a GREAT Tool... Not sure if SmartRipper played a part in it or not.

I use it mostly to create backups for the kids, or copies that I take on trips - this way if they get lost in my luggage nothing lost but the cost of a blank disc. I do like to create BEST of discs - compliations of several scenes fro different movies. (All for my own personal use)

jdiner
07-18-2004, 02:21 PM
I tried another that was extracted using DVDShrink and that WORKED! wow.. this is really a GREAT Tool... Not sure if SmartRipper played a part in it or not.

I use it mostly to create backups for the kids, or copies that I take on trips - this way if they get lost in my luggage nothing lost but the cost of a blank disc. I do like to create BEST of discs - compliations of several scenes fro different movies. (All for my own personal use)
While I take no resposiblity of any kind fo what people use these tools to do, what I meant was recently CloneDVD and a few others pretty much disappeared as a result of "other things"....

I don't know why it would be crashing, kind of seems like something wasn't being done quite right in the extraction or processing. It is always possible I missed something but with all of the testing I would just assume the main cause was somewhere else.

DVDShrink is the tool I have used to do that kind of thing. So that one I do have a bit of familiarity with.

--jdiner

skarmer
07-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I am using TyTool V9R15.
I get file from Tivo using tystream mode with auto key on.
I then edit key file.
I have a 30 minute TV show for which I need to keep aproxamately 3 minutes.
The 3 minutes are in the middle.
I have created 2 cuts, immediately before and after the 3 minutes.
I am able to play cut and the 3 minutes do play properly.
I have saved the key file.
I go to multiplex.

When I open the multiplexed file ALL of the original file is still there.
The original video is still intact.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.
Steven Kramer

jdiner
07-18-2004, 04:31 PM
What am I doing wrong?
Check the FAQ. There is a ton of stuff there about troubleshooting and how to go about figuring out what went wrong and if needed to obtain help.

--jdiner

tivomaster
07-18-2004, 05:34 PM
What is the menu vob mux (new format) used for? Is it test code?

jdiner
07-18-2004, 05:41 PM
What is the menu vob mux (new format) used for? Is it test code?
Have you tried it to see what it does?

As specified in the various TyTool threads where it was discussed it was a different muxing engine designed to get a better working ouput for use on Sony DVD player and in other tools that use VOBs/MPG files as input.

--jdiner

tivomaster
07-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Have you tried it to see what it does?

As specified in the various TyTool threads where it was discussed it was a different muxing engine designed to get a better working ouput for use on Sony DVD player and in other tools that use VOBs/MPG files as input.

--jdiner

Oh Ok, I thought that code was rolled into the normal mux of 9R15...
I understand now.
Thanks.

FredThompson
07-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Josh,

A few days ago there was some discussion about stuttering playback during the first few seconds of an editied VOB. Would prepending (is that a word?) a couple of seconds of "empty" video to the edited VOB remove the stutter? IIRC, you mentioned you know what causes this to happen. Just wondering if there's a quick fix.

jdiner
07-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Oh Ok, I thought that code was rolled into the normal mux of 9R15...
I understand now.
Thanks.
No. The goal is at some point soon to make it an option. Pick either the old format or the new, then pick the type. I want new->SVCD, new->VOB, old->MPEG-2 PS etc...

But that has not happened yet as it is still in testing. 9r13 introduced it and it worked pretty well. Trying to fix a problem I went part way to a fix in 9r14 and as a result it was unusable. 9r15 should have it back to working and hopefully working better when the output MPGs are opened by other apps.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Josh,

A few days ago there was some discussion about stuttering playback during the first few seconds of an editied VOB. Would prepending (is that a word?) a couple of seconds of "empty" video to the edited VOB remove the stutter? IIRC, you mentioned you know what causes this to happen. Just wondering if there's a quick fix.
No. Just adding blank data won't solve it. It will give the appearance of solving as the stuttering will happen in something black with no audio.

I didn't realize it was at the start of a file but rather I thought it was after certain FAE cuts were made within the body of the stream.

If it is stuttering at the start with the new format muxer then I need to know about it and see some small TyStreams that do that as I have never seen that one in action.

--jdiner

FredThompson
07-20-2004, 01:45 AM
I didn't realize it was at the start of a file but rather I thought it was after certain FAE cuts were made within the body of the stream.

If it is stuttering at the start with the new format muxer then I need to know about it and see some small TyStreams that do that as I have never seen that one in action.

--jdinerAh, yes, the stuttering I saw was after the first FAE cut which defined the actual start point of the created VOB. The first action was a GOP-FAE cut to eliminate header padding in the ty. On playback, the created file stutters at the beginning. Is that different than what you have seen? If so, I'll keep my eye out for the next example so you can see the actual ty file.

jt731
07-20-2004, 07:53 AM
I have one that stutters at the start, but its a gig long ty stream of a farscape episode, so probably bigger than you want.

Also, I'm still really new to this, so I don't remember how it is set but I haven't changed any of the defaults except ip and folder location and I thought that by default you used the old muxer.

jdiner
07-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Alright, the new muxer seems ready for people to test, the MPEG/VOB stuff seems pretty solid for the most part.

So what comes next... First off figure the stuttering needs to be addressed.

so for those experiencing it are you using the new muxer or the old? What software players are you using that show the stuttering?

I have to try to find some example of that to try and get fix for all of that.

--jdiner

malfunct
07-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Alright, the new muxer seems ready for people to test, the MPEG/VOB stuff seems pretty solid for the most part.

So what comes next... First off figure the stuttering needs to be addressed.

so for those experiencing it are you using the new muxer or the old? What software players are you using that show the stuttering?

I have to try to find some example of that to try and get fix for all of that.

--jdiner

Do you have a tool that tests the buffer use of the streams you mux? Seems like (and I know you worked to fix some of this) at times you just require too much of the stream to be buffered in order to decode given frames (might be DTV's fault and not yours too). Anyways I was looking over the net for a tool that could measure buffer use for decoding a given stream. They show the graphs but noone provides a free tool to use to measure.

EDIT: BTW this is just what I've intuited from what I've read, I have no evidence that there are any buffer overrun issues but wanted to test to see if there were.

clover_kid
07-21-2004, 07:48 PM
I am trying to convert a VCD (mpg file) to a DVD using R15. I have tried both the new and old muxer. Every time I get an output that seems to be playing back "off speed" , at least 25% fast and the sound is garbled. Any thoughts? I admit in advance that I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks

Bill

eastwind
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I am trying to convert a VCD (mpg file) to a DVD using R15. I have tried both the new and old muxer. Every time I get an output that seems to be playing back "off speed" , at least 25% fast and the sound is garbled. Any thoughts? I admit in advance that I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks

Bill
Did you transcode the Audio? VCD=44.1 KHz. DVD=48KHz. Result....if you don't transcode the audio it will sound high-pitched. Is it out of sync? Or does it just sound weird?

ew

malfunct
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM

Thanks

Bill

Transcode the audio to one of the "dvd appropriate" bitrates

jdiner
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Do you have a tool that tests the buffer use of the streams you mux? Seems like (and I know you worked to fix some of this) at times you just require too much of the stream to be buffered in order to decode given frames (might be DTV's fault and not yours too). Anyways I was looking over the net for a tool that could measure buffer use for decoding a given stream. They show the graphs but noone provides a free tool to use to measure.

EDIT: BTW this is just what I've intuited from what I've read, I have no evidence that there are any buffer overrun issues but wanted to test to see if there were.
Actually you are not far off.

The problem, in my best guess, at this point is that the old muxer packed the Audio data at the very start of the "segment" I had decided to mux out. This is problematic because it forces buffer size to be too large for the audio segment. Also because of the flexible SCR/DTS binding in use the system could get "too close" between the time to decode something and the time when it should be played (which is bounded by SCR and PTS).

The old format muxer worked beautifully when certain circumstances were true and too be honest when I started it they appeared to be universal. But that did not hold up... on the Sony DVD players it was obvious the SCR gap was way too wide and the audio grouping was way to strong.

So the new mux'er was born. Which is based off of exactly what a DVD expects rather than what best handled the DTv issues. Now I am not saying that things were better before but I definately built the old muxer with an eye to DTV specfically the new muxer had an eye towards compatibility as well.

Which is why I asked what I did. Does it stutter with the new muxer or only the old or both? It can be expensive to test if you don't have +RW media and the capability to use it but I need to understand more before a fix can go in.

The new muxer is much more intelligent about positioning data for much better buffer management. There is still a bit more that could be done to try and control the buffer usage but it is pretty limited in it's effects so far.

Beyond this the wildly changing buffer needs are mostly a factor of the DTV stream. The constant 3 field packing means that things have to stay inside of the decode buffers that much longer timewise. I.e if Frame 1 has "3 fields" you have to keep it around for 3003 * 3. Rather than 3003 * 2. However don't forget the predictive nature of the B and P frames. It all adds up.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-21-2004, 09:47 PM
No no no no.... A VCD file is an MPEG-1 file not an MPEG-2 and TyTool is SOLELY! an MPEG-2 system. It is completely unaware of the differences. To get it work use something like tmpgenc to recompress and convert the output into an MPEG-2 file first, and then try to process.

I am amazed it worked as well as it seemed to for you given the differences in the nature of the streams.

EDIT: It is also possible that things in your VCD are using a different frame rate. I don't think my prediction code for PTS values will work with anything but the 29.97 standard. So if it was a 24fps file even if it could real MPEG-1 correctly it would not play back correctly.

--jdiner

jmcclain
07-22-2004, 01:26 AM
I notice that there are several mentions of changes to the key files. I have a question, I have tranferred several hundred GB of .TY files over, and most have already had key files and cuts created all with TyTool 9r14. Anyway, my question is, will 9r15 work fine to VOB mux these or do I need to regenerate the key files and re-edit the cuts?

Thanks again for the great utility (and, yes, I will be donating...this tool is well worth it).

-Jeff

jdiner
07-22-2004, 01:49 AM
I notice that there are several mentions of changes to the key files. I have a question, I have tranferred several hundred GB of .TY files over, and most have already had key files and cuts created all with TyTool 9r14. Anyway, my question is, will 9r15 work fine to VOB mux these or do I need to regenerate the key files and re-edit the cuts?
The key file did change to represent the VOB/MPG additions to them. However as mentioned both here and in the release notes for 9r15 itself there IS NO NEED to redo the cut file.

The key file changes will affect making any new cuts but have no effect on existing cut files.

--jdiner

malfunct
07-22-2004, 01:58 AM
Actually you are not far off.

I sort of figured (I have done a TON of reading since I got interested in re-writing timestamps/splicing streams) which is why I asked if you had access to a tool to measure buffer usage. I can't seem to find one that they don't want big money for. I wonder what it would take to write something that would keep track of max required buffer size and max required buffer rate by looking at how many frames you need, where those frames are, and the dts/pts and scr values (are there scr values in program stream?).

malfunct
07-22-2004, 02:00 AM
I am amazed it worked as well as it seemed to for you given the differences in the nature of the streams.

This could be because the mpeg 2 standard was designed so that all mpeg1 streams are supposed to be valid mpeg2 streams. Unfortunately I don't think that mpeg1 system streams are valid as program streams however, just the elementary streams. You have a very good point about the video framerate however, it could be way off.

jdiner
07-22-2004, 10:55 AM
I sort of figured (I have done a TON of reading since I got interested in re-writing timestamps/splicing streams) which is why I asked if you had access to a tool to measure buffer usage. I can't seem to find one that they don't want big money for. I wonder what it would take to write something that would keep track of max required buffer size and max required buffer rate by looking at how many frames you need, where those frames are, and the dts/pts and scr values (are there scr values in program stream?).
Yeah there are SCR values in program streams. You have to have one as it is the System Clock Reference. I.e. the base clock that the audio and video are sync'ed to maintain proper alignment of the data.

--jdiner

jdiner
07-22-2004, 10:57 AM
This could be because the mpeg 2 standard was designed so that all mpeg1 streams are supposed to be valid mpeg2 streams. Unfortunately I don't think that mpeg1 system streams are valid as program streams however, just the elementary streams. You have a very good point about the video framerate however, it could be way off.
Ummm. The main problem I was thinking of is that the PACK header in MPEG-1 streams are smaller than in an MPEG-2 program stream. But anyway... MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 really aren't the same thing, related yes, but not really the same. I could figure out the differences but I have never wanted or bothered too.

--jdiner

bobtm
07-23-2004, 12:44 PM
1- What exact TIVO are you trying to extract this data from?
Sony SVR-2000
2- What version of the TIVO OS software do you have on your TIVO?
2.5.1 cache card no ram only other hack fixup
3- How exactly did you extract the TyStream?
In DOS window started tserver_mfs7 Launched Tytools 9R15 patch audio holes and transcode #5 extract to tystream mode
(Uploaded new version of tserver_mfs7, NowShowing.tcl to Tivo and put cygwin in tytools directory)
network is hard wired with a 10/100 switch
4- What version of TyTools did you process the TyStream with?
9R15
5- What Client OS were you running under?
Windows 98
6- How are you disabling the scrambling of things on your TIVO (if it needs to be done)?
N/A
7- What specifically is the problem you are seeing?
Tytools hangs during extraction. No hard drive activity, no network activity, telnet window percent complete stops updating, tytools status screen has a lot of numbers that do not make sense. Extraction usually stops during the second or third file of a show.

I do not think it is problem with tytools but my setup. When it woks I can extract multiple shows at ~1.8 megs a second and the processing works very well all the way through playing on my standalone players.

I tried killing all task except for explorer, ran a virus scanner and memtest86 and still have an intermittent problem.

Thanks again for the great program. Anything to try would be appreciated.

Bobtm

eastwind
07-23-2004, 01:26 PM
1- What exact TIVO are you trying to extract this data from?
Sony SVR-2000
2- What version of the TIVO OS software do you have on your TIVO?
2.5.1 cache card no ram only other hack fixup
3- How exactly did you extract the TyStream?
In DOS window started tserver_mfs7 Launched Tytools 9R15 patch audio holes and transcode #5 extract to tystream mode
(Uploaded new version of tserver_mfs7, NowShowing.tcl to Tivo and put cygwin in tytools directory)
network is hard wired with a 10/100 switch
4- What version of TyTools did you process the TyStream with?
9R15
5- What Client OS were you running under?
Windows 98
6- How are you disabling the scrambling of things on your TIVO (if it needs to be done)?
N/A
7- What specifically is the problem you are seeing?
Tytools hangs during extraction. No hard drive activity, no network activity, telnet window percent complete stops updating, tytools status screen has a lot of numbers that do not make sense. Extraction usually stops during the second or third file of a show.

I do not think it is problem with tytools but my setup. When it woks I can extract multiple shows at ~1.8 megs a second and the processing works very well all the way through playing on my standalone players.

I tried killing all task except for explorer, ran a virus scanner and memtest86 and still have an intermittent problem.

Thanks again for the great program. Anything to try would be appreciated.

Bobtm
Can you extract the parts of the show that stops?

ew

malfunct
07-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I just sent my donation off to JDiner and I encourage everyone to do the same to support this wonderful tool and any future enhancements to it. My donation was not very big but if we all did the same the effect would be significant. Ok, thats the end of my little pep talk. This was my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of JDiner or others on this forum (he probably doesn't even know he has a donation waiting for him yet).

bobtm
07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Yes, if I restart. Eventually I can extract the show and it will process fine thru playing on my players.

I tried restarting tytools, the switch, the Tivo, the tserver and the pc in multiple combinations and eventually it will work.

malfunct
07-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, if I restart. Eventually I can extract the show and it will process fine thru playing on my players.

I tried restarting tytools, the switch, the Tivo, the tserver and the pc in multiple combinations and eventually it will work.

Which extract mode are you using? Do you extract into a tystream or do you do a multiplex extraction straight to mpeg?

bobtm
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Which extract mode are you using? Do you extract into a tystream or do you do a multiplex extraction straight to mpeg?

Tystream mode

I also patch audio holes and transcode #5.

malfunct
07-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Tystream mode

I also patch audio holes and transcode #5.

Any chance you could remove the cachecard from the system and boot? (I'm assuming no because you are using the network adapter thats in the cachecard) There have been some issues with the cachecard and extraction but noone has tracked it down.

bfisher
07-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Any chance you could remove the cachecard from the system and boot? (I'm assuming no because you are using the network adapter thats in the cachecard) There have been some issues with the cachecard and extraction but noone has tracked it down.

I use the cachecard with no RAM installed and am having no issues. I had one issue many months ago where it would not extract properly. Rebooting the TiVo fixed it...

mikey
07-24-2004, 10:42 AM

I too am using the cachecard, but with 512mb ram & the latest drivers. The only problen I've had with TyTool is from one rain faded stream which will cause the dtivo to instanly reboot at a certain point in extraction. FYI mfs_ftp will stop or reboot at the same point with that particular stream.

Mikey

malfunct
07-24-2004, 01:10 PM
I use the cachecard with no RAM installed and am having no issues. I had one issue many months ago where it would not extract properly. Rebooting the TiVo fixed it...

Yeah, its certainly not common, but I have heard of problems that people attributed to the cache card. I really have no idea why the tivo would fail to transfer the file though, the software is quite simple it seems.

robr
07-25-2004, 12:44 AM
any idea why my extraction rates would be so slow? i'm getting 0.05m/sec running this on an HDVR2. Takes about 4 hours to pull over a 1 hour show.

malfunct
07-25-2004, 01:33 AM
any idea why my extraction rates would be so slow? i'm getting 0.05m/sec running this on an HDVR2. Takes about 4 hours to pull over a 1 hour show.

Probably a network issue of some sort, you are going to need to provide more information than this for any of us to have a clue whats happening. I will say that you are getting too slow of a rate, normally on an hdvr2 with a usb2 adapter we get around 1meg a second. I think its slightly less than 1/2 that with usb1 (guessing as I don't really remember). Your speed is just amazingly low.

jdiner
07-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Something is terribly wrong there. Sounds like a major networking issue. Nothing in TyTool would account for that. Get out a network monitor of some flavour and look at what is going on.

Over the last couple of years there have been a ton of messages from people about network trouble shooting here on the forum. Run some searches and try what has been suggested in the past.

--jdiner

robr
07-25-2004, 10:08 AM
thanks, i'll try some basic network troubleshooting. it shouldnt be an issue as it's a simple setup.

100mbit 3com 3c905 nic on pc->linksys BEFW11S4 v2 100mbit dsl hub/router->tvio HDVR2 w/netgear FA-120 usb 2.0 wired NIC

jdiner
07-25-2004, 12:02 PM
thanks, i'll try some basic network troubleshooting. it shouldnt be an issue as it's a simple setup.

100mbit 3com 3c905 nic on pc->linksys BEFW11S4 v2 100mbit dsl hub/router->tvio HDVR2 w/netgear FA-120 usb 2.0 wired NIC
That is the same general setup that I have on my SeriesII. In the middle I use a nice DLink box but other than that it all lines up. I get 1.12M/s on average. If I pull the access card I get all the way up to 1.8M/s or so. I have seen it go as low as .76M/s when the HDVR2 is doing other things. But you should be able to do way way better than 0.05M/s...

--jdiner

BubbleLamp
07-25-2004, 12:19 PM

Try a crossover cable directly between the PC and the Tivo. I'm betting it's your hub.

robr
07-25-2004, 01:52 PM
i'll give it a shot. i'll have to build a xover box out of an ethernet double female extender. the wires to the tivo run out the window to the downstairs. for the heck of it, i switched the port in the router and speed went to 0.17meg/sec. strange because between two PCs plugged into this router i get very fast transfer rates. i have no problem buying a new router if thats the issue, ive been meaning to get one with 802.11g anyway.

robr
07-25-2004, 01:54 PM
bingo! i swapped ports on the router with one that was getting a fast xfer rate to and from my pc. 1.20meg/sec now. this will probably also solve my vserver streaming problem.

Roj
07-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Josh, all,

I'm having a problem with FAE on files from my UK standalone tivo. I have changed the resolutions on this to 352 x 576 and 720 x 576 (which is probably relevant).

If I create FAE edits and try to create vobs using the old multiplexer, more often than not I get low virtual memory warnings, and tytool crashes. I think I can get it to work if I only have one cut, on a small file, at 352 x 576.

If I use the new multiplexer I do rather better. So far 352 x 576 seems to work OK. But if I have files at 720 x 576 I get the video, but no sound at all (throughout the vob, not just at the edit points).

I've had this problem with all FAE versions of tytool that I've tried, for the old multiplexer. I've only tried the new multiplexer in 9r15. I've been able to replicate the old multiplexer problem on another machine, but haven't had a chance to try the new one there.

Has anyone in the UK been doing FAE edits on changed resolution files with any success?
Josh - any obvious ideas why this might not be working?
(I have checked that I only have the one cygwin1.dll, and it is the correct one).

Cheers,

Roj

jdiner
07-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm having a problem with FAE on files from my UK standalone tivo. I have changed the resolutions on this to 352 x 576 and 720 x 576 (which is probably relevant).

If I create FAE edits and try to create vobs using the old multiplexer, more often than not I get low virtual memory warnings, and tytool crashes. I think I can get it to work if I only have one cut, on a small file, at 352 x 576.

If I use the new multiplexer I do rather better. So far 352 x 576 seems to work OK. But if I have files at 720 x 576 I get the video, but no sound at all (throughout the vob, not just at the edit points).

I've had this problem with all FAE versions of tytool that I've tried, for the old multiplexer. I've only tried the new multiplexer in 9r15. I've been able to replicate the old multiplexer problem on another machine, but haven't had a chance to try the new one there.

Has anyone in the UK been doing FAE edits on changed resolution files with any success?
Josh - any obvious ideas why this might not be working?
(I have checked that I only have the one cygwin1.dll, and it is the correct one).
Sounds like you are using an extremely old version. You mentioned 9r15 but I have used the latest versions of files from wildly different sources with varying resolutions. I have had no problems with any of them. Everything edits and I have had no problems, memory leaks, etc...

Also video is a rather memory intensive process. You are going to need a fair amount to get it to work right. Check your machine how much ram you have, what your virtual memory settings are etc...

The FAE cutting process uses the mpeg2enc to re-encode the portions that need to be rebuilt. This tool alone requres about 250meg of primary ram to run.

I have recently been working on wide screen HiDef issues and I have not had any problems with resolutions that large. And trust me it takes far more memory to store/process something that much larger.

--jdiner

kitschcamp
07-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Josh, all,

Pretty much the same problems here with my UK tivo, if I do bog standard edits, everything is fine. As soon as I use frame accurate edits, the sound disappears.

Roj
07-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Sounds like you are using an extremely old version. You mentioned 9r15 but I have used the latest versions of files from wildly different sources with varying resolutions. I have had no problems with any of them. Everything edits and I have had no problems, memory leaks, etc...

Also video is a rather memory intensive process. You are going to need a fair amount to get it to work right. Check your machine how much ram you have, what your virtual memory settings are etc...
--jdiner

Josh,

I've been using 9r12 and 9r15. I did try one of the early FAE versions, but didn't have much time to play, and assumed that it was just a bug which would be sorted later.
My machine has 896 Mb of RAM, which I would hope is reasonable! I don't know about virtual memory - it's not something I've changed at any point, so whatever is standard for W2K (+SP4 and critical updates). Would you recommend changing it, and to what?
I've tried this with minimal other tasks running too.

Have you tried PAL streams at the different resolutions, or only NTSC?

Cheers,
Roj

jdiner
07-26-2004, 10:30 AM
I've been using 9r12 and 9r15. I did try one of the early FAE versions, but didn't have much time to play, and assumed that it was just a bug which would be sorted later.
My machine has 896 Mb of RAM, which I would hope is reasonable! I don't know about virtual memory - it's not something I've changed at any point, so whatever is standard for W2K (+SP4 and critical updates). Would you recommend changing it, and to what?
I've tried this with minimal other tasks running too.

Have you tried PAL streams at the different resolutions, or only NTSC?
I have tried both PAL and NTSC broadcasts at various resolutions. A change in resolution is a minor change. The issue TyTool had way back when was that the fame rate is different. But it has had the proper fixes for the predictive frame rate nature of things for some time now without issue.

I am surprised by the report of this problem as other UK users have reported nothing but success to me.

I don't know that it is an OS problem. The VM setup defaults to some sub-set of the space on the C drive. Make sure you have enough room on the C partition directly for that file to grow and come into use.

Beyond that, I need a much better description of what is going on. You mentioned getting low memory warnings but apparently in the last post there is also audio drop outs. That sounds like a double reset problem rather than a PAL editing problem.

--jdiner

Roj
07-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I am surprised by the report of this problem as other UK users have reported nothing but success to me.

That's why I also wanted to check if anyone else had the same problem on non-standard resolution files.

I don't know that it is an OS problem. The VM setup defaults to some sub-set of the space on the C drive. Make sure you have enough room on the C partition directly for that file to grow and come into use.

There is about 5 Gigs free on C (OS and program files; data sits on another drive, which typically has 10-20 Gigs free).

Beyond that, I need a much better description of what is going on. You mentioned getting low memory warnings but apparently in the last post there is also audio drop outs. That sounds like a double reset problem rather than a PAL editing problem.

Different cases for the different problems:

Case 1: Get ty file, make key, edit key with FAE. Vob-mux using old multiplexer. Churns away for a while, then windows error box pops up to say running low on virtual memory, followed by dr. watson error box saying tytool has to be closed. End result no vob. A couple of times I have made it through the complete process to the end vob successfully - I think this is only on small files with only one FAE cut, but I have not done extensive trials, so can't give any clear guidelines.

Case 2: Get ty file of 352x576 stream (~5 Mbps), make key, edit key with FAE. Vob-mux using new multiplexer. Churns away for a while, vob produced - works fine.

Case 3: Get ty file of 720x576 stream (~6.5 Mbps), make key, edit key with FAE. Vob-mux using new multiplexer. Churns away for a while, vob produced - video is fine, but no sound at all.

So the old multiplexer gives memory problems, but the new one doesn't. However, the new one always loses the sound on 720x576/6.5 Mbps streams.
(not dropouts - there is just no sound at all).

Shall I try cutting a small portion of 720x576, to see if I still get the no sound problem, then I could email it to you?
Or if anyone in the UK has everything working fine with high resolution, I could send them a dvd-rw with ty/key/cut files?

Cheers,
Roj

mustrum
07-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Greetings.This is my first post but I've been lurking for some months.Roj is not alone with the audio problem.So I thought I'd detail another example
PC Running XP 512Mb Memory VM set to 3GB &7GB of free space on drive.
Extraction from UK SA series1:File size 3.99GB Res 720x536 VBR 7.6Mbs
Extract>tystream mode transcode audio DVD 48@192 >GOP cut to trim beginning >FAE cuts for commercials>GOP cut to trim end of film.
Vobmuxing with original muxer struggles to about 3GB and crashes.
Vobmuxing with new muxer finishes the job but audio cuts out after first FAE cut.
Tried another file about the same size.Old muxer crashes,new muxer says its done but checking with PowerDVD file has only processed to first FAE cut.Info window in PowerDVD says audio available in both cases.
Any ideas Josh?
All the time and effort you put in to tytool is much appreciated.

williamnporter
07-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

I know this is off topic but here goes, I want to prevent Tivo from updating the software on my Sony SVR-2000. Is there an easy way to do this? I have this feeling someday they may break tytools. I did a search and didn't find anything remotely easy, Is there such a thing?

Thanks

William

FredThompson
07-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi all,

I know this is off topic but here goes...This totally off topic. Start a thread in the beginners/basic area.

FredThompson
07-26-2004, 10:10 PM
Regarding stutter, this might be helpful: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33551&page=4&pp=15

jdiner
07-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Pretty much the same problems here with my UK tivo, if I do bog standard edits, everything is fine. As soon as I use frame accurate edits, the sound disappears.
So what exactly is a BOG edit?

--jdiner

Budder Toots
07-27-2004, 02:57 AM
i think its suppose to be "big"

but idunno, its pretty late

mustrum
07-27-2004, 05:37 AM
Bog Standard is slang in the UK.Means normal standard no frills.
i.e. "Bog Standard Tivo" =Non hacked, original Tivo
Kitschcamp is refering to GOP editing as the "original " standard way of editing.
Tried a test file last night with VBR switched off.Same results.Audio cuts out after FAE edits.(File size 3.2GB)

mike0151
07-27-2004, 07:27 AM
oops already answered. sorry.

FredThompson
07-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Does a TyTool 9r15 GOP-FAE cut inside the video being kept prevent momentary blockiness by ensuring open GOP references are not destroyed?

TyTool 9r15 requires a field to be removed to perform an FAE cut, correct? The status shown on the FAE editing window shows current offset and total number of fields. (The "Frm:" field shows 0 thru n-1 as the field numbers. Incidently, "Frm" must be a name left over from the very early days. TyTool really operates on fields, correct? Perhaps that field title should be changed in future builds.)

Thus, removing an interior section which would be similar to a GOP-GOP cut can be accomplished with an FAE start cut at position 0 of the first GOP to be removed and an FAE end cut at n-1 of the last GOP to be removed. This would yield complete removal of GOPs but prevent blockiness as mentioned above. Is that correct or am I confusing myself over pointers?

BenG
07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Any chance of the MacOS X VSplit being updated?

Ben

misxn
07-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Any chance of the MacOS X VSplit being updated?

Ben

I second that emotion.

jdiner
07-27-2004, 10:50 PM
If I can get access to a mac sure. It is a simple recompile of the gcc sources to vsplit for linux. Well IIRC there was one other small change, but I don't recall what it was.

I tried to ssh to the machine that I was given access on before and I found that I could not get to it. Since I don't have a mac nor do I have cross compiler setup, if such a thing exists, so I was unable to build anything.

--jdiner

c_tripps_2k
07-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I have downloaded the latest Tytools, installed the mips version of tserver to my Sleepered Tivo and started the tserver with this command:

/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

After starting I get the following output:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.157.5'
Connected...
We got 'tivo:/var/tmp$ ' which is the prompt!
tivo:/var/tmp$ /var/hack/tserver_mfs7_mips -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
Waiting for an incomming connection!

When I attempt to refresh Tytools I get the folowing error:

Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connected...
Getting NowShowing data...
Sorry.. Could not obtain the list.

In the TServer output window I get the output:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
sh: /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl: No such file or directory

I have been searching the board for 2 days now and have double checked networking, IP addresses, permissions and tried different NowShowing.tcl files. I tried the version that the sleeper CD installed and it works. Files have been transfered in binary mode. Could someone please help me with the new version?

Thanks

malfunct
07-29-2004, 06:00 PM
I have downloaded the latest Tytools, installed the mips version of tserver to my Sleepered Tivo and started the tserver with this command:

/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

After starting I get the following output:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
We got 'tivo:/var/tmp$ ' which is the prompt!
tivo:/var/tmp$ /var/hack/tserver_mfs7_mips -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

When I attempt to refresh Tytools I get the folowing error:

Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connected...
Getting NowShowing data...
Sorry.. Could not obtain the list.

In the TServer output window I get the output:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
sh: /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl: No such file or directory

I have been searching the board for 2 days now and have double checked networking, IP addresses, permissions and tried different NowShowing.tcl files. I tried the version that the sleeper CD installed and it works. Files have been transfered in binary mode. Could someone please help me with the new version?

Thanks

Are you certain that NowShowing.tcl (with that capitalization) is in the directory /var/hack (with that capitalization)? Its either that or the line endings in the file are screwed up.

One thing you could try is to telnet in manually, change to the directory that both tserver and NowShowing.tcl are in, and execute tserver there without a -s option (just type: ./tserver_mfs7 and hit enter). See if you get the same issue. Also try executing NowShowing.tcl on its own (in the directory where NowShowing is type: ./NowShowing.tcl) to see if it outputs the list of shows. One final thing to try is to execute tivosh on it (I've seen different behavior between just executing NowShowing.tcl and letting the OS pick which shell to run it under and forcing it to use the tivosh shell) you would do this by changing to the directory that NowShowing.tcl is in and typing tivosh ./NowShowing.tcl. Also remember that linux is case sensitive so if you have different capitalization on anything that could be an issue.

BenG
07-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Building for MacOS X (Darwin) on Linux is possible, but setting up cross-compilation is always tricky...

Here's some links I found on it:
http://www.myownlittleworld.com/computers/darwin-cross-distcc.html
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=157213

And a Knoppix distro with a distributed CC environment:

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~benjamin/programs/distccppc.html

Ben

mike-a
07-31-2004, 11:51 AM
I am new to TyTool, I am using vserver on one series 1 standalone tivo and a home-brew (well home-modified) to tranfer files to a removable hard drive on the other, not that I believe this should make any difference. UnfortunateIy I started experimenting with TyTool on a W2K machine with a VIA/Cyrix chipset - that made a BIG difference.

I discovered that mpeg2enc failed occasionally while generating VOBs and always when creating the IFO files/dirs.
I don't expect any work done to make it work on a Cyrix machine, but VyTool fails to recognize that mpeg2enc has failed and either generates no VOB or in the case of the IFOs it creates no Video_ts files (I suspect this is what happened to Foobazbar)

I also tried to use Vsplit on a linux machine (all my video is on Linux machines - 3.5TB) and had a couple of issues
1) It doesn' seem to generate the same keyfile (in fact not a legal one) as the W2K (non Via ones). It is almost the same with a few (1 in 10000) words dropped or changes

2) Can you generate the Transcoder library (or share the mods) ?

On the plus side a new mpeg2enc seems to work (if I don't change the audio).

Lastly, I would like to have sub-titles - do you have any plans? (couldn't find anything in the forums). Could a tystream output to vsplit be added so that it would be possible to cut out the commercials and yet retain the sub-titles?

Finally thanks for the tools - once i got off the Via machine (a day and half the night), things worked perfectly.

PS. I am leaving for hoiday for 3 weeks so if anyone wants additional information I will post it when I return

jdiner
07-31-2004, 02:23 PM
I am new to TyTool, I am using vserver on one series 1 standalone tivo
You need a proper PC to use the SIMD/MMX/3D Now acceleration of mpeg2enc and DVDAuthor. A cyrix system isn't really going to cut it. Recompile your own bins for the open source tools and make sure they work before you try to use them with TyTool and all should be well. TyTool does not use and extensions on it's own.

but VyTool fails to recognize that mpeg2enc has failed and either generates no VOB or in the case of the IFOs it creates no Video_ts files (I suspect this is what happened to Foobazbar)That is because if you get working bins it doesn't fail. I.e. why check what works. Besides the benefit of free hobby programs is that I get to take short cuts where I want so I can move onto more interesting things.

I also tried to use Vsplit on a linux machine (all my video is on Linux machines - 3.5TB) and had a couple of issues
1) It doesn' seem to generate the same keyfile (in fact not a legal one) as the W2K (non Via ones). It is almost the same with a few (1 in 10000) words dropped or changes
It does here. I tested tons of them and everything was the same. If it doesn't for you then something else is the cause. The version/make of linux you are running, support libs, the filesytem (a few others reported issues with the ext3 filesystem). whatever.

But allow me to be as clear as possible. There is NO DIFFERENCE between the underlying processing code of VSplit and TyTool. Literally the 2 project trees point to the exact same source files in a shared directory.

I run 2 unix variants here:

FreeBSD joshua 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 28 14:31:56 GMT 2002

and a RedHat 9.2 box that is unplugged at the moment. I get identical key files from both machines compared to my varies Windows boxes.

2) Can you generate the Transcoder library (or share the mods) ?

If by that you mean the TyTranscodeDLL the base of that was the transcoding code from Rowan that was part of the TyStudio stuff. I turned it into a DLL he then added more updates and what not to solve a few issues. Look for it there.

But if you are getting issues from the transcoding then you have something seriously going wrong as it works for absolutely everyone else.

Lastly, I would like to have sub-titles - do you have any plans? (couldn't find anything in the forums). Could a tystream output to vsplit be added so that it would be possible to cut out the commercials and yet retain the sub-titles?
No plans for sub-titles right now. There are other things that many more people including myself want first.

--jdiner

bato
07-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Do you want the Closed Caption in your files to end like sub titles in your DVDs?

I don't know what is easier, keep CC or convert that to Sub Title information to create the DVD.

I like to have either in my DVDs. I guess sub titles will give more freedom to translate to other language.

mike-a
07-31-2004, 06:29 PM
wrt sub-titles -Yes I was thinking of the closed caption and yes I would be great to have them in any form - I wanted to make dvds for my girlfriend's mother who is hard of hearing - I'm just going to have to keep tham as ty files and let her use mplayer

I was looking for the linux version of the transcoder TyTranscodeDLL.so

As for my problem with unix vsplit, I have now tried vsplit on a win98 machine and have 4 different key files, my VIA ones, win98 using TyTool, win98 usinf vsplit and RH9 linux using vsplit.

I understand it is the same code, but...

All three of the PC versions are the same length and work with the GOB editor, the differences are few what follows is a sample. The bytes are
VIA Win98 Win98
vsplit
292568 1 ^A 334 M-\ 34 ^\
292569 0 ^@ 334 M-\ 331 M-Y
292570 0 ^@ 135 ] 47 '
292571 0 ^@ 0 ^@ 1 ^A
292574 26 ^V 22 ^R 26 ^V
356595 32 ^Z 22 ^R 32 ^Z
440390 1 ^A 264 M-4 364 M-t
440391 0 ^@ 116 N 112 J
440392 0 ^@ 135 ] 47 '
440393 0 ^@ 0 ^@ 1 ^A
440396 44 $ 22 ^R 44 $
506051 1 ^A 174 | 274 M-<
506052 0 ^@ 325 M-U 321 M-Q
506053 0 ^@ 135 ] 47 '
506054 1 ^A 0 ^@ 1 ^A
506057 50 ( 22 ^R 50 (
568354 0 ^@ 174 | 274 M-<
568355 0 ^@ 323 M-S 317 M-O
568356 0 ^@ 135 ] 47 '
568357 0 ^@ 0 ^@ 1 ^A
568360 56 . 22 ^R 56 .
629225 64 4 22 ^R 64 4
689295 1 ^A 350 M-h 50 (
689296 0 ^@ 132 Z 127 W
689297 0 ^@ 135 ] 47 '
689298 0 ^@ 0 ^@ 1 ^A
689301 72 : 22 ^R 72 :

and as I said the linux one is also close but seems to be shorter with the ocassional 0x0000 missing. Here is the first 48 bytes
PC version:
00000000 47 4f 50 45 44 30 30 35 00 00 00 00 46 b6 01 00 |GOPED005....F...|
00000010 6c 11 01 00 e0 01 00 00 d0 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 |l...............|
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 8a 6e 80 |..............n.|
Linux version
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 8a 6e 80 00 00 01 b5 |..........n.....|

The RH9 was using ext3 filesystem as well as on a second linux machine using an SMBmount to be the same as the windows file. They both generated the same file

As i'm going on vacation I haven't had a lot of time to experiment (I'm using a 1.3G test file over a network and it takes forever)
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what to try when I get back? - other that forgetting about linux - though I may have to. I don't use Windows much anymore

Thanks in advance

jdiner
07-31-2004, 08:06 PM
And here is why I said what I did. The following code is used to write the key files...

video_file.Write((UCHAR *)&key, sizeof(KeyIdx));// And write it to disk.

So.... What in that would cause it to write all of the bytes on Windows and only part of them under linux... There is no change to structure being written. There is only ever 1 call so no if's taking us out first.

Plus as mentioned on my 2 unix machines I just do not have this error. So I keep looking towards your machines as the culprit.

--jdiner

mike-a
07-31-2004, 11:17 PM
OK a little more information. There may be a version difference. The end of the cut file has the filename in the pc version but not in the linux version. The missing data has a very specific pattern

Here is the first 48 bytes
PC version:
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 8a 6e 80 |..............n.|
Linux version
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 8a 6e 80 00 00 01 b5 |..........n.....|

It appears that wherever the e0 01 00 00 d0 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 pattern occurs in the linux version there are four extra bytes in the pc version and there is data that appears to be counting up in some pattern and this occurs approx every 60k bytes (no not 65536). If I add zeros to the file it then load in the GOP editor, displays pictures, but crashes when if you try to do a FAE edit.

I don't know if this suggests anything, but there it is. I realize few (if any) are really interested in generating the key files in linux, but that is where all my files are and where they get added from my tivos.

PS. What about TyTranscodeDLL.so - can you make it available

PPS Thanks for all of your prompt responses

koreth
08-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Under certain circumstances a write() call on Linux can write less than the full buffer. Basically it has to do with whether the kernel thinks the call might take an indefinite amount of time. Here's what I use in the little app I wrote to capture data from an HDTV tuner card, which ran into the same problem. Feel free to use it if it helps. Shouldn't hurt anything on other platforms.

/*
* Blocking read/write; attempts to completely fill a read buffer or dump
* out a write buffer.
*/
static int
full_readwrite(int fd, char *data, int count, int (*func)())
{
int bytes_done;
int total_done = 0;

while (count > 0)
{
bytes_done = (*func)(fd, data, count);
if (bytes_done <= 0)
{
if (total_done == 0)
total_done = bytes_done;
break;
}

total_done += bytes_done;
data += bytes_done;
count -= bytes_done;
}

return total_done;
}

/*
* Blocking read; attempts to completely fill a read buffer.
*/
static int
full_read(int fd, char *data, int count)
{
return full_readwrite(fd, data, count, read);
}

/*
* Blocking write; attempts to completely empty a write buffer.
*/
static int
full_write(int fd, char *data, int count)
{
return full_readwrite(fd, data, count, write);
}

jdiner
08-01-2004, 01:31 AM
OK a little more information. There may be a version difference. The end of the cut file has the filename in the pc version but not in the linux version. The missing data has a very specific pattern
The problem is not the version issues. I dug into it and found that the size of the struct changes between compilers. Not the number or types of variables but litterally the sizeof() is different. Appears to be a nice little compiler bug. How stupid is that... Doesn't always happens which is worse. But I have get a working fix now and everything works as it should.

PS. What about TyTranscodeDLL.so - can you make it available

Yeah I will see if I can't find the source and get it packed up. But if you are actually having problems then there is something else going on.

The only known issue in terms of a bug is that the version in use does not work with VCD rate audio as the source. The 44.1 rate leaves fluctuating sizes and there is a gap there in the supporting code.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Under certain circumstances a write() call on Linux can write less than the full buffer. Basically it has to do with whether the kernel thinks the call might take an indefinite amount of time. Here's what I use in the little app I wrote to capture data from an HDTV tuner card, which ran into the same problem. Feel free to use it if it helps. Shouldn't hurt anything on other platforms.

Whould should have been noted on the code was the following:

video_file.Write((UCHAR *)&key, sizeof(KeyIdx));// And write it to disk.

video_file is a class I wrote.
key is an instance fo the KeyIdx class which I also wrote.
Write is a member function that does almost exactly what Koreth posted.

The problem is not a bad write but an improper size returned from the sizeof() call when run in certain ways. The bug in the compiler appears to be the cause and the solution. A simple #ifdef appears to have solved the problem.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-01-2004, 01:45 AM
I have complained some what constantly about the problems I am having with the locals here where I live. So to give an idea of what it is I see here I clip'ed a 2 GOP file that plays for 10 seconds or so and showcases the error.

I invite one and all to take a look at it as it is truely terrible.

--jdiner

mike-a
08-01-2004, 01:47 AM
The problem is not the version issues. I dug into it and found that the size of the struct changes between compilers. Not the number or types of variables but litterally the sizeof() is different. Appears to be a nice little compiler bug. How stupid is that... Doesn't always happens which is worse. But I have get a working fix now and everything works as it should.

Structs often are packed different between compilers, I was confused that it happened so infrequently?!?

Yeah I will see if I can't find the source and get it packed up. But if you are actually having problems then there is something else going on.

I'm not having a problem (yet) I just couldn't find a current one. Are we supposed to use the one from last year (packaged with vsplit-3.03b2?

thanks

jdiner
08-01-2004, 01:50 AM
Structs often are packed different between compilers, I was confused that it happened so infrequently?!?
Yep. Me too. The sizeof occasionally is correct and the rest of the time it is wrong. I was reading and writing the entire struct for speed and ease and now it is not and bingo it works. Not sure who added the bug I see but compiler bugs are a royal pain.

I'm not having a problem (yet) I just couldn't find a current one. Are we supposed to use the one from last year (packaged with vsplit-3.03b2?
That is correct. It hasn't been changed in a long time. But don't specifically use an old one, use the one bundled into the latest TyTool zip file.

--jdiner

mike-a
08-01-2004, 02:08 AM
That is correct. It hasn't been changed in a long time. But don't specifically use an old one, use the one bundled into the latest TyTool zip file.

--jdiner

Aye and there's the rub - there isn't one (unless I'm blind)

jdiner
08-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Aye and there's the rub - there isn't one (unless I'm blind)
Oh. It was supposed to be there. It was just an oversight on my part.

--jdiner

lenp2001
08-01-2004, 04:15 PM
At times I have noticed when I go to windows explorer that if I simply click on a *.ty file that is corrupt the system basically locks up. I must log off and back on and there are no processes I can see to end (using CtrAltDel) when I log off and back on everyting is fine again unless I highlight that file. Reason this is a bigger issue for me is I am using macros to move FTP files to my PC and if the file already exists I do not want to move the file to my PC so I have my system make dummy *.ty files after a DVD is processed. The file is an empty txt file that is copied to the same name. Without boring you further with why or how I do that I am just looking to see what I can do to make either a 1KB .ty file or get windows explorer not to lock up on a fake ty file. Thanks

Waruwaru
08-01-2004, 04:44 PM
The file is an empty txt file that is copied to the same name. Without boring you further with why or how I do that I am just looking to see what I can do to make either a 1KB .ty file or get windows explorer not to lock up on a fake ty file. Thanks

Un-associate .ty with any program. I am going to guess you have it associated with notepad (or some other program), and when you doule click on it, your machine tries to open the .ty in notepad (or whatever program) and it takes ages to open up gigabytes worth of data. You can probably create a 0 byte file by doing something like copy nul junk.txt in DOS.

jdiner
08-01-2004, 04:48 PM
TyTool does not auto-type to the .ty files. it never has. Look at what you have it plugged into and go from there. But empty or full nothing in TyTool looks into the files until you run the tool and start processing things.

--jdiner

lenp2001
08-01-2004, 06:05 PM
There is no association. That was my first look and actually tried to associate it with notepad and that did not help. I am not dble clicking the file just highlighting it that is what is strange.

JD, I don't understand what you mean by "look into what you have plugged into it" It was simply downloaded, installed and used in a normal setup. I build the file by startng notepad, not even putting in a space, then saving it as test.ty. I can go into explorer and simply highlight the file and from that point on my system locks up.

jdiner
08-01-2004, 06:22 PM
There is no association. That was my first look and actually tried to associate it with notepad and that did not help. I am not dble clicking the file just highlighting it that is what is strange.

JD, I don't understand what you mean by "look into what you have plugged into it" It was simply downloaded, installed and used in a normal setup. I build the file by startng notepad, not even putting in a space, then saving it as test.ty. I can go into explorer and simply highlight the file and from that point on my system locks up.
I was talking about the association as well. I.e. what tool you have the files attached too...

Since it isn't TyTool it has to be something in some way.

--jdiner

malfunct
08-01-2004, 07:52 PM
At times I have noticed when I go to windows explorer that if I simply click on a *.ty file that is corrupt the system basically locks up. I must log off and back on and there are no processes I can see to end (using CtrAltDel) when I log off and back on everyting is fine again unless I highlight that file. Reason this is a bigger issue for me is I am using macros to move FTP files to my PC and if the file already exists I do not want to move the file to my PC so I have my system make dummy *.ty files after a DVD is processed. The file is an empty txt file that is copied to the same name. Without boring you further with why or how I do that I am just looking to see what I can do to make either a 1KB .ty file or get windows explorer not to lock up on a fake ty file. Thanks

This is a result of the tyshow codec (at least in my experience). After you install it windows "knows" about ty files and tries to parse them to fill out the cool details bar in the left side of the window as well as try to get a thumbnail from the video. If the tyfile is corrupt this crashes windows. Unfortunately in windows XP the only fix is uninstall the codec. I have it on good word that MS is working on fixing the issue in the next version of windows but that could be a while heh.

lenp2001
08-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Thansk for the help so now if someone can show me or send me the smallest possible TY file that can be created that will solve my problem. I know how to use the software yet not how to recreat a TY file. Even if I just tell my Tivo to record I can't get it to just do it for less then 15-20 seconds and that is while trying to make it happne manually. Even that file is large I am looking for the smallest one I can make. Thanks again everyone and thanks for the great software you have my $$$ contibution for thanks!

eastwind
08-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Thansk for the help so now if someone can show me or send me the smallest possible TY file that can be created that will solve my problem. I know how to use the software yet not how to recreat a TY file. Even if I just tell my Tivo to record I can't get it to just do it for less then 15-20 seconds and that is while trying to make it happne manually. Even that file is large I am looking for the smallest one I can make. Thanks again everyone and thanks for the great software you have my $$$ contibution for thanks!
Try tyfilesplit and chop off part of the ones you already have.
ew

jdiner
08-02-2004, 10:16 AM
All you need I suspect is a Ty file that has mjust 1 chunk in it. 128k of good proper data. But having never used TyShow I can't be certain of that.

Use the TyFileSplit that is part of the latest releases, or found in TyFileSplit.zip from times past, and jump a bit into the file and then extract just 1 chunk. It will work to give you smaller pieces. Then you can just keep trying things until it stops the problems you are seeing.

The basic command like for TyFileSplit is:

TyFileSplit file.ty output.ty start-pos length

--jdiner

jdiner
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Alright I have most of the problems with the HDTivo streams licked I think. The problem was simple once I actually figured out what it was... :)

As for the rest of what is going on I have to move onto something else next. Not entirely ceratin what I want it to be yet. But I figure I ought to try and take a look at the UK issues with FAE editing. Beyond that who knows...

--jdiner

redstone
08-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Alright I have most of the problems with the HDTivo streams licked I think. The problem was simple once I actually figured out what it was... :)

--jdiner

See my post in the HR10-250 thread - GREAT going and thanks.

FredThompson
08-04-2004, 05:13 PM
When creating an FAE end cut point, the display first shows a position of 0/0 and this can be set as a valid location to end the cut. However, if you use the arrow keys or mouse to move through the GOP, the position 0/0 is no longer available.

Is this a GUI peculiarity or does it mean 0/0 creates an endpoint which keeps the entire GOP?

pudljmpr
08-04-2004, 05:47 PM
So I dont ask lots of stupid questios here, :confused: can someone direct me to instructions or a good place to start installing and using TyTools

Rowan
08-04-2004, 05:52 PM
So I dont ask lots of stupid questios here, :confused: can someone direct me to instructions or a good place to start installing and using TyTools

Look at the docs that are included in the zip files it has lots of good information. If you don't find your answer in the docs then check FAQ here

TyTool FAQ (http://www.tytool.com/TyTemplates/FAQ/default.aspx)

Rowan

jdiner
08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
When creating an FAE end cut point, the display first shows a position of 0/0 and this can be set as a valid location to end the cut. However, if you use the arrow keys or mouse to move through the GOP, the position 0/0 is no longer available.

Is this a GUI peculiarity or does it mean 0/0 creates an endpoint which keeps the entire GOP?
It is a GUI misfire. That is a default string when the gui is created and nothing more. There is more to come to help with FAE editing but at the moment what you see is what you get.

If you go right to the very start on a FAE cut it will actually put a GOP cut in it's place in the .cut file. It was a short-cut to try and help things along.

--jdiner

FredThompson
08-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I just noticed it's a GOP cut, not FAE. Guess that's an "oops" but not anywhere near critical given what you state about upcoming changes.

A GOP cut is created anytime an end FAE point is made at position 0, regardless of the "length of GOP" display. Therefore, an end FAE cut should always be at position 1 or greater using current public releases of TYTool, correct?

jdiner
08-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I just noticed it's a GOP cut, not FAE. Guess that's an "oops" but not anywhere near critical given what you state about upcoming changes.

A GOP cut is created anytime an end FAE point is made at position 0, regardless of the "length of GOP" display. Therefore, an end FAE cut should always be at position 1 or greater using current public releases of TYTool, correct?
That is correct. An end cut should always be a true FAE cut/recompression. To be honest a start cut should not be a GOP cut either but that is more a matter of choice.

--jdiner

FredThompson
08-05-2004, 01:45 AM
My goal is to reduce re-encoding as much as possible. Here's my current process:

Assuming there is start and end padding:

The first cut is GOP-GOP or GOP-FAE as needed.

Internal cuts are preferably GOP-FAE or FAE-FAE if needed.
When possible, the end cut is before the first GOP with material I'd like to keep if there is a large blank section.

Final cut is preferably GOP-GOP or FAE-GOP if needed.

--

Given your reply a few posts ago, an FAE cut should NEVER be on the 0 position even though the interface allows creating such a marker so caveat emptor.

If there is NO blank section at the end cut point, it's no big deal because the end point of an internal cut should always be an FAE so that's easy.

It's safe to start with a GOP cut, isn't it? The result of a GOP-FAE cut will be a new GOP so any forward reference to the new I-frame has to be created anyhow, doesn't it?

I'm wondering how to avoid re-encoding the GOP before the cut whenever possible. A starting FAE cut in a "black" section is fine. How best to make the cut while avoiding re-encoding if the I-frame point is not "black" on both sides?

Lastly, since FAE is field based, to preserve a previous GOP, you'd have to keep 2 fields of the following GOP to ensure open GOP references are resolved properly, correct? That would mean cutting on the 1 position isn't safe, either...

mcnallyj
08-05-2004, 09:47 AM

BoB

I need the TyStream file not the key file. What is the size of the file. Can you put it up somewhere where I can down it from?

Further how did it play on the tivo. It is fully possible to have something that is such crap no processing of it is possible. I have seen some streams that are beyond garbage...

--jdiner

I'm having the same problem, did Bob-O post his example? I have a ty file that is 1412mb in size, and when I try to edit the key file, GOP starts up and then I get the fatal XP error that states windows has caught an error and offers to send the problem to MS and then GOP shuts down. So I thought I would just go ahead and make the VOB file right off the ty file, and while that works, it only produces 84 seconds of a 1 hour and 25 minute file. Could the ty file be corrupt somehow, or am I missing a step somewhere?

jdiner
08-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I'm having the same problem, did Bob-O post his example? I have a ty file that is 1412mb in size, and when I try to edit the key file, GOP starts up and then I get the fatal XP error that states windows has caught an error and offers to send the problem to MS and then GOP shuts down. So I thought I would just go ahead and make the VOB file right off the ty file, and while that works, it only produces 84 seconds of a 1 hour and 25 minute file. Could the ty file be corrupt somehow, or am I missing a step somewhere?
It was never posted but I did get the file and that problem was solved. You might have found something new or not. Who knows.

At the moment I am busy with other things and don't have the time to chase yet another 1-in-a-million oddity. Try getting a new copy of the file if the show repeats or whatever. Make certain to redo everything from making the key to making the cut file all the way to the end.

--jdiner

fyang
08-05-2004, 04:55 PM
wrt sub-titles -Yes I was thinking of the closed caption and yes I would be great to have them in any form - I wanted to make dvds for my girlfriend's mother who is hard of hearing - I'm just going to have to keep tham as ty files and let her use mplayer

I have opened a new thread about adding subtitles to DVD.
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=177565#post177565

jdiner
08-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Alright TyTool 9r16 has been released. Features are few minimal new things for most of the users.

A few audio fixes are now in place.

1- The big items in it are support for Dolby/AC-3 MPEG/VOB files as source files.

2- Also includes the final changes for using HDTivo streams.

3- Vsplit has been updated to match.

You will find it in the normal spot on page one of the main TyTool thread.

--jdiner

linuxsense
08-05-2004, 06:50 PM
I have been using the tytool windows GUI via VMware on my Linux workstation with good results but I would really like to use a native Linux app instead. Does one exist?

malfunct
08-05-2004, 07:35 PM
I have been using the tytool windows GUI via VMware on my Linux workstation with good results but I would really like to use a native Linux app instead. Does one exist?

No. It doesn't exist.

jdiner
08-05-2004, 07:45 PM
People here have been using it with WINE on linux but I have never done so so I can't help on that front.

There was a curses style interface with the features of TyTool built some time ago but it was generally hated by the unix users amoung us so I [b]have]/b] gone no further in the better part of year. It just wasn't worth my time.

edit: Crap I sound like a hick when I get typo's like have being has... :)

--jdiner

koreth
08-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Putting on my UNIX guru hat for a moment, I'd say the problem was most likely that there was any interactive UI at all. We UNIX freaks tend to far prefer noninteractive command-line tools that we can pipe into each other, plug into scripts, and wrap our own UIs around if there's a need.

Obviously there's no getting around having a GUI for editing, but other than that I can't think of anything TyTool does that couldn't be completely command-line driven.

- Get a structured dump of now-playing data given a host and port
- Fetch a show given some ID information (FSIDs, etc.) from the dump
- Generate a keyfile
- Mux a given ty file using a given cut file, outputting to file(s) or standard output
- Create an IFO set given a list of vobs with corresponding titles and a menu template file

If I had command-line access to all of those functions, I'd definitely make use of it -- for example, I'd set up a cron job to automatically compile each week's nightly reruns of "The Practice" onto a DVD for my girlfriend, which I currently do by hand. It would be quite cool to wake up every Saturday morning and have a complete DVD image of that week's episodes sitting there waiting to be burned, no further work required. (She actually prefers I leave the ads in. Go figure.)

That sort of thing is really not (easily) doable if you have to drive any kind of interactive UI to perform the various steps. So that's probably the reason the UNIX folks didn't care for the curses interface, rather than there being anything wrong with the UI per se.

ttabbal
08-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Putting on my UNIX guru hat for a moment, I'd say the problem was most likely that there was any interactive UI at all. We UNIX freaks tend to far prefer noninteractive command-line tools that we can pipe into each other, plug into scripts, and wrap our own UIs around if there's a need.

Obviously there's no getting around having a GUI for editing, but other than that I can't think of anything TyTool does that couldn't be completely command-line driven.

- Generate a keyfile
- Mux a given ty file using a given cut file, outputting to file(s) or standard output
- Create an IFO set given a list of vobs with corresponding titles and a menu template file

If I had command-line access to all of those functions, I'd definitely make use of it -- for example, I'd set up a cron job to automatically compile each week's nightly reruns of "The Practice" onto a DVD for my girlfriend, which I currently do by hand. It would be quite cool to wake up every Saturday morning and have a complete DVD image of that week's episodes sitting there waiting to be burned, no further work required. (She actually prefers I leave the ads in. Go figure.)

That sort of thing is really not (easily) doable if you have to drive any kind of interactive UI to perform the various steps. So that's probably the reason the UNIX folks didn't care for the curses interface, rather than there being anything wrong with the UI per se.

I agree, thing is, most of this is available now with vsplit. At least, I think it is. :) I've been looking at the help output, and I noticed that it can produce keyfiles, mux, and cut. So you can do most all the heavy lifting with a nice command line tool that jdiner was nice enough to provide. Fetching now playing and downloading a ty is pretty trivial, I'd use mfs_ftp and a scriptable FTP client, but writing a client for tserver wouldn't be too bad either.

IFO filesets would be a little trickier, but you could write a script to call dvdauthor once you figgured out how it all works. I've considered doing this, but haven't had any free time lately. I have tested vsplit to convert ty to MPEG, and it works great. It says it can create VOBs and VCD format files as well. I have not tested that yet.

Since we now have vsplit updated, I've tossed around the idea of building a GUI for it for Linux. I just haven't had the time. The hard part would be the editor. I would love a Linux based editor. Are there any docs for the keyfiles/cutfiles available? That would help a ton.

Pendragn
08-06-2004, 03:05 PM
If I can get access to a mac sure. It is a simple recompile of the gcc sources to vsplit for linux. Well IIRC there was one other small change, but I don't recall what it was.

I tried to ssh to the machine that I was given access on before and I found that I could not get to it. Since I don't have a mac nor do I have cross compiler setup, if such a thing exists, so I was unable to build anything.

--jdiner
I have a bondi iMac I would gladly donate to the cause. It's a first gen imac, so it's no speed demon, but it will run OS X. If you're interested, let me know. It's not doing me any good, as I'm an all Windows kind of guy.

tk

dlang
08-06-2004, 05:01 PM

- Generate a keyfile

the dump of the now playing is available through a variety of means (I believe that tyserver has source available, but besides that there is mfs_ftp and tyhttpd to start with). these tools also let you fetch a show.

vsplit will generate a keyfile

vsplit will process a file given a cut file and produce vob files

the tools that jdiner uses to assemble the VOB files into a DVD image are all opensource and will run on linux/mac/etc with no problems (they just need some wrappers to make them easier to use)

so all the parts are there except for the ability to process the key file and generate the cut file. this part needs a GUI, but if Josh is willing to freeze and document the format of these two files I think that a number of GUI's could be written.

so you can automate the process of creating DVD's if you don't need to cut them. I'll try to go through the steps and document them

jdiner
08-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I'd say the problem was most likely that there was any interactive UI at all. We UNIX freaks tend to far prefer noninteractive command-line tools that we can pipe into each other, plug into scripts, and wrap our own UIs around if there's a need.
Ok, but that isn't TyTool. That is VSplit. Now true it got out date as I reached a kind of blah point on try to keep everything sync'ed between 2 projects, but other than downloading that is all already there.

(She actually prefers I leave the ads in. Go figure.)
Wow. To each their own I guess. I gave my siblings copies of GOP cut Farscape. All 4 seasons. and they complained about the little glitches at the cut points. Whiners. :)

That and wanting the best copies of Smallville is what led to figuring out the FAE stuff.

I can build some simple non-interface apps to do what you are looking for. I think I might do it as seperate tools rather than roll things in VSplit. Mostly so that those that might be using mfs_ftp to do parts of the process can continue to do so without any of the extra baggage. No promises on timeframe but I can take a look at it as very little but a better command-line parser is needed at this point.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
the dump of the now playing is available through a variety of means (I believe that tyserver has source available, but besides that there is mfs_ftp and tyhttpd to start with). these tools also let you fetch a show. Precisely. But at the same time I am an advocate of using the smallest number of programs possible. So I will write that tserver downloader for people so that those that want to can stick with no other servers needed.

the tools that jdiner uses to assemble the VOB files into a DVD image are all opensource and will run on linux/mac/etc with no problems (they just need some wrappers to make them easier to use)
Coupled with that a user here, milli (an old friend of mine from HP actually :), posted some simple explanations of using DVDAuthor on linux with the pieces and parts from TyTool to make the same level of menus, and even more actually, possible. It has been well documented just not by me. At least not by me yet.

so all the parts are there except for the ability to process the key file and generate the cut file. this part needs a GUI, but if Josh is willing to freeze and document the format of these two files I think that a number of GUI's could be written.
Sorry. I can get there sometime soon but right now I am mid-way through the big change. I have audio playback, for LayerII ONLY, going into the GopEditor. So that at tricky cut points you can see what you have and hear it as well.

I am also adding a new feature that will play both sides of a cut so that you can see what it will look like when you get done with everything.

Further if there is a FAE cut point and you re-enter FAE it will keep that information and return to that point etc... All just an attempt to make editing that much nicer to do.

Also been playing a ton with streaming these things. I can currently stream from an S1 tivo to an S2 and vice versa etc... Now to be clear, not transfer a stream but put the display up somewhere else on a different tivo. I had a need for it so....

Lots of interesting things to come but no specific order decided on for most of them yet.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-06-2004, 05:19 PM
I built a similar GopEditor for unix that I have for the Win32 systems but I never released it. It isn't quite done while it was almost there it is not several revisions out of date. I built what I did in the latest versions in an attempt to get that easier to update. Custom shared libs etc...

The main problem with it was that it was just a touch too slow to really get into. That had nothing to do with it being unix and everything to do with it being a K6-2 450 running linux... :)

Now that I have a slightly better box running linux I intend to try again.

BTW, the foundation for the interface was wxWindows. The reason I chose it was that it looked a lot like WIN32 api coding and had this license:

The wxWidgets 2 licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a solution that satisfies those who wish to produce GPL'ed software using wxWidgets, and also those producing proprietary software.

If people want to see such a tool then we can create another thread for the unix side of things again and perhaps have a better round table discussion than we had before and see where we go from there.

--jdiner

dlang
08-06-2004, 08:00 PM
I would be interested in a unix tool to generate the cut points.

part of this is the fact that running a unix tool on windows (via cygwin) under linux (with wine) just offends my sense of rightness a bit ;-) but most of it is that I _like_ having seperate tools for the different steps, it makes it easier for me to batch things and add other logic in if I need to between steps.

tweaky
08-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I see that there is "Added support for Dolby/AC-3 MPG/VOB files on import", which was a pipe dream of mine a long time ago after I destroyed my .ty files, but had VOB's that needed some additional cuts in it. I've tried for an hour or so to try to figure out how to get a vob in this and can't figure it out.
Did I misunderstand what this actually does? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for an awesome tool.

Never mind, Found it under "Split Files". DOHHHH

redstone
08-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Any idea what is going wrong when I try to start tserver?
(output window from tytool)

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.1.40'
Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tserver_mfs7 -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
failed to open []
Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0x00000000)
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

Thanks

Haderak
08-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Replace your tyserver and nowshowing files with these:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115317&postcount=42

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
failed to open []
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

Thanks

jdiner
08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Never mind, Found it under "Split Files". DOHHHH
Darn. I lost my last answer. Stupid browser here at my Dad's place timed out or something wierd...

My comment was about the fact that split files is just one of the processes. It turns a ty or vob into the Elemental Streams (ESs).

The process remains the same regardless of input type. or at least that is the end goal. So whether it is a TY or TY+ or VOB/MPG file. You make a key, edit it with FAE editing, then pump it out to a new VOB or MPEG file using TyTool.

I have tested a large number of VOB and MPG streams.

However the initial check for files is based on the files extension. Meaning .MPG works but .MPEG will not (or at least I thnk that it is not in there....)

--jdiner

jdiner
08-07-2004, 01:50 PM

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
failed to open []

You are running a MIPS based, SeriesII of HDTivo flavour most likely, tivo. That is the tserver_mfs7_mips bin that you need. You are running the Series1 bin and that is not a proper executable for the hardware that you have.

--jdiner

redstone
08-07-2004, 03:52 PM

Thanks a LOT! That did the trick.

I am using an HDTIVO so I of course knew that I needed the MIPS version.

koreth
08-07-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm seeing memory usage shoot through the roof with 9r16 when I VOB-mux using either the old or the new muxer. I just aborted a TyTool process that had gotten up to 216MB in size. 9r15, by contrast, usually stays under 10MB. Obviously 9r16 needs bigger buffers to deal with HD streams, but not *that* much bigger.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

It's not quite the same symptom as the memory growth I reported many releases back (which was subsequently fixed); this one happens whether or not I fire up GOPEditor.

mcnallyj
08-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok, I was able to get the ty file to convert to a vob file, the vob file is much smaller than the original ty file, and therefore I have a video file that is 10 minutes long from one that is an hour long on the tivo. I believe the ty file was 750 mb while the resulting vob file is 151 mb...any ideas?

I'm using unscramble.o from a series one dtivo, watching a few minutes of the program prior to transferring...

mcnallyj
08-07-2004, 08:15 PM
That is the same general setup that I have on my SeriesII. In the middle I use a nice DLink box but other than that it all lines up. I get 1.12M/s on average. If I pull the access card I get all the way up to 1.8M/s or so. I have seen it go as low as .76M/s when the HDVR2 is doing other things. But you should be able to do way way better than 0.05M/s...

--jdiner

I actually don't get any better than .59, but I am thinking the weak link in my setup is the use of powerline networking products. I remember reading something that the distance between the tivo and the computer should be less than 100m, and I am thinking if the signal has to go all over the electrical wiring in my house, that is where the speed is getting eaten up at. I do have a wireless g access point still in the box for it, but I am unsure if it is worth the $ and the trouble just to get to 1.0...of course that would be double the speed just about!

jdiner
08-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Ok, I was able to get the ty file to convert to a vob file, the vob file is much smaller than the original ty file, and therefore I have a video file that is 10 minutes long from one that is an hour long on the tivo. I believe the ty file was 750 mb while the resulting vob file is 151 mb...any ideas?

I'm using unscramble.o from a series one dtivo, watching a few minutes of the program prior to transferring...
You probably only got the first part of the file correctly and as result that was all that could be processed.

--jdiner

mcnallyj
08-07-2004, 08:51 PM
You probably only got the first part of the file correctly and as result that was all that could be processed.

--jdiner
I wonder if that has something to do with the way the tivo is networked (via powerline networking). The connection stream generally skips from being constant, to no traffic, back to constant. I would bet there is something within that which is cause the trouble I have been having so far.

jdiner
08-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm seeing memory usage shoot through the roof with 9r16 when I VOB-mux using either the old or the new muxer. I just aborted a TyTool process that had gotten up to 216MB in size. 9r15, by contrast, usually stays under 10MB. Obviously 9r16 needs bigger buffers to deal with HD streams, but not *that* much bigger.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I just tested a ton of streams. Making keys, making VOBs, I don't see it. So what exactly where you doing on why type of stream when you saw things degrade?

--jdiner

TexARC
08-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Ok - I've read the FAQs, and scanned the 11 pages of this thread, and tried a few of the 20 or so docs fromthe zip file.
IS THERE a step-by-step, anywhere, that assumes nothing? I can get a good ways through the process, I can copy a .ty to my local hard drive and get it opened, mark the sections to cut out, but beyond that it's NOT intuitive and I cannot find any useful instructions.
Everything I find seems to be for those that already know how it works.
The HOW To section of the FAQ is empty.
How do I select out just a portion of the entire Ty file, and convert it to say, mpg? How does one edit out the commercials? Make menus entries? Is there a doc file that covers those?

mcnallyj
08-08-2004, 01:43 AM
Ok - I've read the FAQs, and scanned the 11 pages of this thread, and tried a few of the 20 or so docs fromthe zip file.
IS THERE a step-by-step, anywhere, that assumes nothing? I can get a good ways through the process, I can copy a .ty to my local hard drive and get it opened, mark the sections to cut out, but beyond that it's NOT intuitive and I cannot find any useful instructions.
How do I select out just a portion of the entire Ty file, and convert it to say, mpg? How does one edit out the commercials? Make menus entries? Is there a doc file that covers those?

Try here, I'm completed new to all this and this site helped me through:

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html

eastwind
08-08-2004, 07:43 AM
After you mark the sections to cut out you just save the file. It will have the same name as the .ty file, but with a .cut extension. Next you choose File..VOB-Mux files (or Multiplex if you want .mpg files). If you made the CUT file correctly the sections you chose will be CUT from the file when it is processed into a .VOB or .MPG. The Tytool8-Dvd and Menu.doc file has the basics of making menu entries.
ew

Pete Ruttman
08-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks a LOT! That did the trick.

I am using an HDTIVO so I of course knew that I needed the MIPS version.

Musclenerd's version is also the version I am using on my 4.0.1b S2. I tried the MIPS version from the latest tytool archive and it produces the 'not a valid superblock' error.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the delete feature to work with Musclenerd's. Here is the error I get:

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'DELETE '
error writing "file1": broken pipe
while executing
"puts $chan "<TotalSize>:<$totalSize>""
("uplevel" body line 75)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"ForeachMfsFileTrans fsid name type $nowshowingkey "" 10 {
set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
set seltype [dbobj $rec get Select..."
(procedure "PrintShows" line 6)
invoked from within
"PrintShows stdout"
(file "/var/hack/NowShowing.tcl" line 267)

Pete

TexARC
08-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Try here, I'm completed new to all this and this site helped me through:

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html

oh yeah, that looks like it is just the ticket! thanks for your help.

dang.

While creating the IFO files, I get an error about an extra VOB (there is only one VOB), then I can see the output folder with a number of files, including a menu.mpg file. Windows media player cannot play this mpg file, dies with an "unknown error".

I see that there are two menu choices during the IFO step for VOB Mux New format 1, and Multiplex New format 2 . I don't want to burn a dvd on this small, 3 minute file, just want a file I can run from windows over the web.
Any suggestions and solutions, please?
thanks

vertigo235
08-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Extracting for a little while and then I get this, negative #'s for ETA and huge file sizes. And transfer moves to a halt.

Whats up with this?

looping total = 4831838296 meg (72 sec) [861034.56 m/s] -01:-33:-31 remaining...

gottahavit
08-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Love this tool. Best there is for making DVDs,only wish I have is for support to save back to a .ty or tmf file that could be rte-imprted to the tivo.

jdiner
08-08-2004, 01:29 PM
While creating the IFO files, I get an error about an extra VOB (there is only one VOB), then I can see the output folder with a number of files, including a menu.mpg file. Windows media player cannot play this mpg file, dies with an "unknown error".
This was answered all of about 2 pages ago further the answer is found in the FAQ. This is a hobby and plain and simple you have to search and read and look at what has already been said.

You have an unused vob because you didn't use one of them. YOU MUST click the "set item" button after you make changes. This will actually use them rather than just changing settings in the GUI. When you have used a VOB the string for it in the listbox will change and indicate that it is used. Note: The enter/return key does the same thing as the set item button in order to make it even faster to create menus.

Media player won't play it for 2 reason. First, the "vob" you wanted to play is the menu and it is not a standard VOB it is a menu and second Media Player is steaming pile of crap and can't tell the difference. Get a real player like WinDVD, PowerDVD or MPlayer and it can be played, albiet it is hard to see as a menu consists primarily of 1 single I-Frame and those tend to go by in about 1/30th of second.

You don't have anything there to play because you didn't select the actual "Show" vob to be used. So you get nothing but the menu. Get the first stage right and the rest will work.

I see that there are two menu choices during the IFO step for VOB Mux New format 1, and Multiplex New format 2 . I don't want to burn a dvd on this small, 3 minute file, just want a file I can run from windows over the web.
Read the FAQ. An MPG and a VOB are almost entirely the same thing. The new format mux'er is exactly that a new format of muxer. You have no need to make an ISO if you are not burning to DVD. Just make either the Vob or the MPG and go from there.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Love this tool. Best there is for making DVDs,only wish I have is for support to save back to a .ty or tmf file that could be rte-imprted to the tivo.
No. I have said the reasons why this doesn't work tons of times. I am not going into it again. I expect that TyTool will NEVER have this feature. Write your own if you want it.

Edit: If all you want is rudimentary editing then use some tools that are already out there to remove elements, right on the tivo, from a show and go from there.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
And transfer moves to a halt.

Whats up with this?

looping total = 4831838296 meg (72 sec) [861034.56 m/s] -01:-33:-31 remaining...
This is the exact same printf rendering bug as always. Sounds like you are not using the latest version. If you are something crept back in at some point or I missed one. That text is little more than something to let you know TyTool is still working away.

You crossed the 4gig boundary that a UINT uses and things rolled over in the display code. That is all.

In checking the code once again it is not there. You are not using one of the more recent versions. Upgrade and that will stop.

As for the transfer stopping the above had nothing to do with it. That code is a simple print of an __int64 variable. The extraction loop reads and writes to disk and nothing more. Something else went wrong: You ran out of disk space, you got a popup asking to clean up the disk drive, the tivo died/locked up, etc...

--jdiner

jdiner
08-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Musclenerd's version is also the version I am using on my 4.0.1b S2. I tried the MIPS version from the latest tytool archive and it produces the 'not a valid superblock' error.

Sorry I don't have 4.0... So I have no way to test it. Hopefully someone that understands a bit of tcl and has access will fix it for us.

--jdiner

vertigo235
08-08-2004, 02:11 PM
This is the exact same printf rendering bug as always. Sounds like you are not using the latest version. If you are something crept back in at some point or I missed one. That text is little more than something to let you know TyTool is still working away.

You crossed the 4gig boundary that a UINT uses and things rolled over in the display code. That is all.

In checking the code once again it is not there. You are not using one of the more recent versions. Upgrade and that will stop.

As for the transfer stopping the above had nothing to do with it. That code is a simple print of an __int64 variable. The extraction loop reads and writes to disk and nothing more. Something else went wrong: You ran out of disk space, you got a popup asking to clean up the disk drive, the tivo died/locked up, etc...

--jdiner

I wish it were that simple, but no the drive isn't full and I am using the latest version. (# 16) Unless it's the server? But I'm pretty sure that's the latest version as well. The TiVo does not hang, etc. I can stop the transfer with the abort button and start it again, but it does the same thing.

4gig boundry? The show is only 500megs. The point that it stops is also random, sometimes a few seconds into the transfer, other times near the end.

Could it be a network problem?

gottahavit
08-08-2004, 02:14 PM
No. I have said the reasons why this doesn't work tons of times. I am not going into it again. I expect that TyTool will NEVER have this feature. Write your own if you want it.

Edit: If all you want is rudimentary editing then use some tools that are already out there to remove elements, right on the tivo, from a show and go from there.

--jdiner

Sorry, didn't mean to touch on a sore subject, I have searched and found a few requests for this but no real reasons why anyway I have no issue with writing such a tool as an add-on to an existing editing tool, but I do not have the time or ambition to write an entire tool from scratch and since tytools is not opensource this is not much of an option. The current tools are far to cumbersome and do not work correctly on S2 Dtivo anyway. I have a lot of windows programming experience and and fair amount of video codec coding experience, but do not have the interest or expience to make chunkeditor useable on the tivo.

again please take none of this as criticism, I love your tool and as someone burned by going opensource on a popular project, I understand your reasons for not doing so.

jdiner
08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Could it be a network problem?
Must be. But I am not sure how. 73 seconds for 4.8gig is what you reported? Something is terribly wrong. The networking code inside TyTool is extremely standard. I would guess something is wrong along the way, something non-standard or mismatched.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to touch on a sore subject, I have searched and found a few requests for this but no real reasons why anyway I have no issue with writing such a tool as an add-on to an existing editing tool, but I do not have the time or ambition to write an entire tool from scratch and since tytools is not opensource this is not much of an option. The current tools are far to cumbersome and do not work correctly on S2 Dtivo anyway. I have a lot of windows programming experience and and fair amount of video codec coding experience, but do not have the interest or expience to make chunkeditor useable on the tivo.

again please take none of this as criticism, I love your tool and as someone burned by going opensource on a popular project, I understand your reasons for not doing so.
Alright, well perhaps I should try and spell it out as clearly as possible one last time that way it can get added to the FAQ etc...

Here is the main problem. An MPEG/VOB file is a video and audio, sometimes more than 1, Elementary Stream (ES). What TyTool and others like it do is pick apart the packaging we get those ES streams in and multiplex them into the known documented standard. That is easy enough to do because we can ignore 99% of the data that makes up the packing of a TyStream and then we put it into something that is well, if not clearly, documented.

But when you try to reverse the process we run into issues. There are a ton of things found in the TyStream custom packing structures that are unknown, at least to me. Or at the very least are being kept close to the vest right now. I have heard rumblings from a few people about people looking into what each field does.

Now it is not just putting these things back into the TyStream format. That is, while tedious, relatively simple as it is just a record stating "this type of record, and this much data". But the format is a small part of it. Each 16 byte records have other fields that are unkown and can't be just filled back in. But that is not all of it. There are other "records" that are needed in order for it to be correct.

For instance in a TyStream there are a ton of "records" that are of type 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 with 1 and 2 being the most common. 99% of the time these have no data just the placement of the entries and their order and perhaps something buried in the record header itself occasionally.

But it is unknown what they do and why they are placed when and where they are. Just as a quick test long ago I filtered them out entirely, no 1-5 records and the recording refused to play after that. I didn't go any further as it was never something I was particularly interested in personally.

What been discussed recently is another approach. Take the TyStream, save much of the TyStream packing information, if not all of it, and then be able to go back. This doesn't really address editing but would work well with it. But this is not a matter of mpeg-to-Ty it is rather Ty-mpeg-ty. A simple process of reconstitution. A number of people have asked for it recently in regards to HDTivo streams. While I have looked into nothing has gone and further and to be honest I doubt I will do more. It would be usefull to a small subset and there are more general things to do first.

--jdiner

vertigo235
08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Must be. But I am not sure how. 73 seconds for 4.8gig is what you reported? Something is terribly wrong. The networking code inside TyTool is extremely standard. I would guess something is wrong along the way, something non-standard or mismatched.

--jdiner

Yes, it was only 73 seconds, but it wasn't 4.8 gig, it had only transfered a few megs and then it jumped to the large file size (which was incorrect) and stopped the transfer.

jdiner
08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes, it was only 73 seconds, but it wasn't 4.8 gig, it had only transfered a few megs and then it jumped to the large file size (which was incorrect) and stopped the transfer.
Fine there is a big error there with no clear work around.

--jdiner

thesentinel
08-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Here in the UK we can record various radio shows on to the TiVo.

Is there anyway TyTool/server could be coded so that it just receives the audio stream of a recording; saving download time and speeding up the streaming process? Just curious.

jdiner
08-08-2004, 11:19 PM

Is there anyway TyTool/server could be coded so that it just receives the audio stream of a recording; saving download time and speeding up the streaming process? Just curious.
It is possible but not probable. The core issue is that it would mean splitting on the Tivo which is a rather CPU intensive thing to do even if you are just tossing the video data out. Sadly the tivo is NOT an over-powered box. There is barely enough CPU to do what a tivo does much less add on extraction, splitting, networking etc...

--jdiner

jdlugosz
08-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I had to do something like that in the past, I recorded with my tivo, fed the output into my Hi8 / Digital8 camcorder then went into Premiere. it's a bit lossy starting from an analog source, but TiVo quality ain't to bad out the S-Video port. I'm not sure if your DV camera can capture from line-in but perhaps it's worth a try if it is. ??

I did something similar before I got the Tivo networked... did a "Save to VCR" from the Tivo, only the VCR was really the s-video in of my mini-DV recorder.

First couple times, it worked great.

But sometimes it came out looking really bad. One time it switched in the middle of a program.

I think it has to do with the bad quality of the Tivo MPEG stream. Sometimes it comes out terrible if resampled to 720x480, even if going through the analog stage to do it!

That's why I'm figuring out TyTools now, rather than making standard DVD's.

mustrum
08-09-2004, 10:40 AM
As for the rest of what is going on I have to move onto something else next. Not entirely ceratin what I want it to be yet. But I figure I ought to try and take a look at the UK issues with FAE editing. Beyond that who knows...

--jdiner[/QUOTE]
Any progress on this issue Josh?
Using a workaround of making seperate VOB's for each movie segment then 'Attach Extra Vobs' when Authoring.It works but is a long winded way of doing things,but the results are better than using just GOP editing.
Thanks for all your hard work.

jdiner
08-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Any progress on this issue Josh?
Using a workaround of making seperate VOB's for each movie segment then 'Attach Extra Vobs' when Authoring.It works but is a long winded way of doing things,but the results are better than using just GOP editing.
Thanks for all your hard work.
I need to see a stream that is doing this. I have 1 UK stream of any length and I can chop it up in anyway with no error. If you or someone else had enough bandwith to provide me a segment with some real play time, 4-5 minutes should be enough, and a cut file that shows the errors you are seeing I should be able to solve the problem. But without getting one that has the problem there is nothing I can do.

--jdiner

kitschcamp
08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I need to see a stream that is doing this. I have 1 UK stream of any length and I can chop it up in anyway with no error. If you or someone else had enough bandwith to provide me a segment with some real play time, 4-5 minutes should be enough, and a cut file that shows the errors you are seeing I should be able to solve the problem. But without getting one that has the problem there is nothing I can do.

Give me till later on tonight, and I'll provide you with such a clip. I'm at work at the moment, so can't easily sort it out.

jdiner
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Give me till later on tonight, and I'll provide you with such a clip. I'm at work at the moment, so can't easily sort it out.
Alright. That will be great.

--jdienr

jdiner
08-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Extracting for a little while and then I get this, negative #'s for ETA and huge file sizes. And transfer moves to a halt.

Whats up with this?

You know. I was just thinking. Since it was downloading that failed try something else to download with. Either the download features of TivoWeb or something like MFS_FTP and an FTP client and see if it makes things any better for you. Then once it is downloaded try TyTool on it.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-09-2004, 12:57 PM
I asked a few friends on here this question but thought I would open it up a bit. I have run through my supply of DVD-R media this last weekend and I was getting ready to get some more. In the past I have used Princo media but recently I haven't been quite as happy with it.

So I was wondering what the preferred media really is amoung those that burn alot? Cost is something of an issue (meaning media at $9 a pop isn't on my horizon... :) But I have noticed tons of types, some that seem new, that are all roughly the same price:

ritek, princo, xTreme DVd, ProDisc, etc...

So I am asking. What media do you guys and gals like best?

--jdiner

stealthdave
08-09-2004, 01:05 PM

This is getting into the realm of OT, so please redirect any further replies to PM or a new thread. :)

Way back in the early days of TiVo video extraction, the ty stream was split on the TiVo side and not the client-side as it is now. The main reason that it has moved to client-side is, as jdiner explained, that all of the processing and corrections needed to properly sync up the video and audio is just too much for a poor TiVo processor to handle. :) However, since video sync is not an issue when you're extracting just audio, the solution to your problem is to go "old school".

Go to http://tweek.wojo.com/tivo/ and download ExtractStream. (Ah, the days of video extraction of yesteryear.) Instead of sending the video to an actual file (or fifo), set VIDEO_OUT to /dev/null. Et, voila! Now you're just receiving the audio data!

- Stealth Dave

koreth
08-09-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm seeing memory usage shoot through the roof with 9r16 ...
This turned out to be mostly my fault. When I install a new TyTool release I always patch the Cygwin-compiled executables to change the references to "cygwin1.dll" to point to "cygwinx.dll" (which is what the DLL is named in my TyTool directory) because I make heavy use of Cygwin for other stuff on my PC and I don't want to have to keep my entire system downgraded to an out-of-date version of the DLL. Turns out I missed one of the references in mpeg2enc.exe, so it was bombing out with a DLL version mismatch error message as soon as it launched.

Now, one could argue that that shouldn't cause TyTool to chew memory like crazy, but if it hadn't been for my fouled-up patching, I wouldn't have seen the problem. I tweaked the remaining reference and it started working fine.

jdiner
08-09-2004, 01:34 PM
However, since video sync is not an issue when you're extracting just audio, the solution to your problem is to go "old school".
I thought about mentioning this but to be honest I didn't because one of the main problems with extractstream was that it used data that it shouldn't, i.e. left overs from a previous recording, and sometimes did not get all of the data that it actually should. While this is most notable with video as the image degrades terribly it is also present with audio and can and will cause audio blips in the stream. But it might be "good enough" so to each there own.

--jdiner

Pete Ruttman
08-09-2004, 01:38 PM

--jdiner

I have pretty much exclusively bought Ritek DVD-R 4x discs in the red wrapping. Out of several hundred I can only think of one that didn't successfully verify and I verify every disc I burn. In the past, I have found them at rima.com and newegg.com.

Pete

jdiner
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Now, one could argue that that shouldn't cause TyTool to chew memory like crazy, but if it hadn't been for my fouled-up patching, I wouldn't have seen the problem. I tweaked the remaining reference and it started working fine.
That is bizarre. I will have to look at that. makes me wonder what it could be? If mpeg2enc dies then TyTool starts trying to read from the file, but it gets a file length file and then reads that much. Hummm...

In looking at the code:

1- I use stat first to make sure the file exists.
2- If it exists I open the file in binary mode to read from it.
3- Then I read the amount of data from the stat call that will hold the entire file (keep in mind these are just a port of 1 GOP...)
4- Then I make sure I read just that much and I am done with the file.

I can't see anyway that it should or could just start chewing up memory like that. There isn't even an malloc/new call in that portion of the code...

I wish the new libs didn't have that wierd hatching problem. That is the sole reason I still use the older lib. It was the more recent one that actually worked even close to properly.

Perhaps I should just port things to VisualC and get away from cygwin entirely. But isn't that a fun thing to do. :(

Anyone here know of any native Win32 ports of DVDAuthor, mpeg2enc, etc... ???

--jdiner

rlong011
08-09-2004, 01:43 PM
I have run through my supply of DVD-R media .....

--jdiner
I've used both Ritek and ProDisc and have been very happy.

Zak0
08-09-2004, 01:52 PM
So I was wondering what the preferred media really is amoung those that burn alot?

I use Memorex 4x DVD-R media myself - usually buy from Amazon. They aren't super cheap, but I've never had a bad burn and they always work in my XBox (which is extremely important to me, but maybe not for you :).

-Zak

ttabbal
08-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I just tested a ton of streams. Making keys, making VOBs, I don't see it. So what exactly where you doing on why type of stream when you saw things degrade?

--jdiner

I saw this happen when I first installed the new version. I forgot that I have Cygwin installed and the DLL is the wrong version. It got fixed by dropping the correct Cygwin DLL into the Tytool directory.

Honestly, I'm not sure why this was a problem for me. It was an issue when doing a simple Ty->MPEG conversion (no edits), I didn't think that used any Cygwin stuff. All I can really say about it is that it was fixed by dropping the Cygwin DLL from the first couple posts into the directory.

Koreth: You don't need to do all that patching stuff. Just drop the correct Cygwin DLL into the same dir Tytool runs from and it will use the propper version while everything else works fine. That should save you some work in the future.

koreth
08-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Koreth: You don't need to do all that patching stuff. Just drop the correct Cygwin DLL into the same dir Tytool runs from and it will use the propper version while everything else works fine. That should save you some work in the future.
Unfortunately the Cygwin apps reference cygwin1.dll by bare filename rather than by full path. So if there's another app running that has a recent cygwin1.dll loaded, the TyTools helper apps will reuse that one rather than loading the version I put in their working directory.

If I don't have any other Cygwin apps running, then just copying the file works fine. But most of the time I at least have the Cygwin X server running in the background.

I'm not aware of any Windows equivalent to UNIX's "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" environment variable, which would solve the whole problem trivially.

But wait! I just did a little Google searching after writing the above paragraph, to see if there was some DLL-selection mechanism I wasn't aware of. I didn't find an LD_LIBRARY_PATH equivalent, but what I did find was this article (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsetup/html/dlldanger1.asp) from MSDN, which says you can force the system to load a DLL from an app's working directory by creating an empty file called <appname>.exe.local in the same directory as <appname>.exe. That supposedly works in Win2K and up.

I'll have to give that a try.

malfunct
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
I asked a few friends on here this question but thought I would open it up a bit. I have run through my supply of DVD-R media this last weekend and I was getting ready to get some more. In the past I have used Princo media but recently I haven't been quite as happy with it.

So I was wondering what the preferred media really is amoung those that burn alot? Cost is something of an issue (meaning media at $9 a pop isn't on my horizon... :) But I have noticed tons of types, some that seem new, that are all roughly the same price:

--jdiner

I usually just buy the cheapest stuff.

I think the next kind I want to get is ritek G05 (I have an 8x burner) but until they get an inkjet writeable surface I won't be doing that. Until then its looking like I might get Taiyo Yuden which I've heard good things about. The ritek G04 has gotten tons of good reviews from different people though I've heard (don't know if there is any creedance to the rumor) that getting the ridata branded (thats ritek's brand) media is best because they test it more. I haven't gotten any of this but its where my research has lead me. The last stuff I got was prodisc I think, or maybe it was accurite. It has been fine but it was 1x and definitely not the highest quality.

I get all my media these days from www.meritline.com and have for the last 2 or 3 years. They have always done very well by me.

jdlugosz
08-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately the Cygwin apps reference cygwin1.dll by bare filename rather than by full path. So if there's another app running that has a recent cygwin1.dll loaded, the TyTools helper apps will reuse that one rather than loading the version I put in their working directory.

I'm not aware of any Windows equivalent to UNIX's "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" environment variable, which would solve the whole problem trivially.

That's not accurate. The name of the DLL never has a path in it. The search mechanism is documented in the explaination of the LoadLibrary function, which the exe loader is presumably calling.

The presence of another DLL with the same name already loaded by something else will not affect which DLL is chosen. FIRST it looks at the current directory and PATH variable and finds the file. THEN it sees if that specific file is already open and shares the physical pages; otherwise it maps in the file, even if another file with the same base name (but different path) is present.

The exception might be (I don't have the docs in front of me) certain system DLLs which are always known; it's possible that Cygwin was registered in that list by some installer, but I don't know of any program that's done something like that.

The presence of the .local file you mentioned will alter the search order, and I think it applies to those special system DLLs too, something that could not be accomplished in other ways.

The classic way to do it would be to set the PATH variable before launching, to include the DLLs of interest and not contain the wrong copy. The GUI shell will do this for you by consulting the AppPaths registry keys (in the console shell, use a batch file or alias).

FWIW, I always change the name of the DLL when releasing a new version. That way programs always run with the version they were tested against, and multiple versions can be present with no problem.

--John

jdlugosz
08-09-2004, 06:44 PM
My DVD player handles the non-standard format produced by not re-encoding the Tivo streams, which is good.

But playing the DVD looks different than playing the Tivo. I see some interlacing effects that I also notice on professional DVDs of TV show seasons.

My DVD player produces 720p output. So it's important that the de-interlacing know whether the source material is film or video based.

Is such a flag already present (and correctly set) in the Ty stream, or does TyTool put that in when it makes the MPG or VOBs? I'm not saying it's wrong... I just want to know, to make sure the quality is the best I can get.

On a related note, what tool will let me look at a DVD and see how it's put together, including the settings relating to this issue?

--John

malfunct
08-09-2004, 07:16 PM
My DVD player handles the non-standard format produced by not re-encoding the Tivo streams, which is good.

But playing the DVD looks different than playing the Tivo. I see some interlacing effects that I also notice on professional DVDs of TV show seasons.

My DVD player produces 720p output. So it's important that the de-interlacing know whether the source material is film or video based.

Is such a flag already present (and correctly set) in the Ty stream, or does TyTool put that in when it makes the MPG or VOBs? I'm not saying it's wrong... I just want to know, to make sure the quality is the best I can get.

On a related note, what tool will let me look at a DVD and see how it's put together, including the settings relating to this issue?

--John

The VOB produced by tytool is correct and marks it as interlaced (all the mpeg from tystream are interlaced). Unfortunately de-interlacing doesn't always work well and many dvd players do a poor job of it. If you are seeing the artifacts in commercial dvd's as well as ty dvd's chances are that its the player and not the dvd's being played (though there are incorrectly encoded dvds). Can you tell your dvd player not to deinterlace and see if the artifacts go away, sometimes the de-interlacer in the tv is better than the one in the dvd player.

BakCompat®
08-09-2004, 07:48 PM
jdiner: The best dvd media hands down is TY aka Taiyo Yuden. They don't have an American distribution channel, so I order them online via ACCAproducts. Oftentimes, they are rebranded as Fuji, Plextor, and certain otehr brands, almost exclusively out of Japan (Not Singapore or Taiwan). Basically, TY discs have the *lowest* PI/PO error count of media on the market. Preferably, you would burn them with a LiteOn burner, but LiteOn rebadges their drives under many other names, such as Sony, Pacific Digital, etc.. They are basically the largest ODD manufacturer right now, especially since Sony isn't making their own drives any more.. (not enough profit margin for them)..

For visual proof, you should run a kprobe scan about 12-24hr. after a burn and check your PI/PO error count. A total count of 4000 PI errors is nearly perfect, whereas 1,000,000 PI errors will morelikely be common with cheaper media.. But then, we want to avoid spikes on the graph and keep the PI spike lower than 320. PO errors on the other hand, well.. let's just try to hit zero. You don't want those. Check dcfreaks.com forum for gfx pertaining to error counts etc.. You'll see major differences between firmwares, brands, media, etc. Additionally, if you have a LiteOn drive, "special" firmware would be preferential as well, for ripping *and* burning.

Last i checked, ACCAProducts was selling 4x TY -R's for $0.90 each in 50 packs, ans 4x +R's for $1 each in 50 packs. Maybe cheaper now.. dunno

koreth
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
That's not accurate. The name of the DLL never has a path in it. The search mechanism is documented in the explaination of the LoadLibrary function, which the exe loader is presumably calling.
Don't want to derail the discussion too far, but I quote from MSDN's explanation of the LoadLibrary function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/loadlibrary.asp) (emphasis added):

When no path is specified, the function searches for loaded modules whose base name matches the base name of the module to be loaded. If the name matches, the load succeeds. Otherwise, the function searches for the file in the following sequence:

1. The directory from which the application loaded.
2. The current directory.
3. The system directory. Use the GetSystemDirectory function to get the path of this directory.
4. The 16-bit system directory. There is no function that obtains the path of this directory, but it is searched.

Windows Me/98/95: This directory does not exist.

5. The Windows directory. Use the GetWindowsDirectory function to get the path of this directory.
6. The directories that are listed in the PATH environment variable.

This is relevant to TyTool for the reason previously mentioned: other installations of Cygwin can interfere with TyTool if there are running executables from those other Cygwins. This problem is a pretty well-known cause of "DLL Hell" on Windows systems. It bit me with TyTool, hence my patching -- not something one would ordinarily do without a good reason! And of course if this weren't a problem, Microsoft would have had no reason to add the new ".local" mechanism.

jdlugosz
08-09-2004, 11:00 PM
The VOB produced by tytool is correct and marks it as interlaced (all the mpeg from tystream are interlaced).

Thanks. I just wanted to know, and wondered if I could try it both ways and see which was better.

Can you tell your dvd player not to deinterlace and see if the artifacts go away, sometimes the de-interlacer in the tv is better than the one in the dvd player.

Not really. The tiny recessed option switch is on the back panel, with the cable connections! Tempting to break it out and put a switch someplace where I can get to it, but I've already got the Tivo taken apart and guts from several other computers all over the floor, and a wife who doesn't think that's "art".

--John

jdlugosz
08-09-2004, 11:03 PM
For visual proof, you should run a kprobe scan about 12-24hr. after a burn and check your PI/PO error count.

What tool is that for checking discs? I'm interested in knowing how my backup discs are holding up, but have not found anything.

jdlugosz
08-09-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm reading back through the doc files to see if there are any actual instructions on what the different menu options do and how to properly use this tool, etc.

In 9r12.doc it mentions the old muxer and the new muxer and two new menu items. But, I don't follow what is being said. I think it means that the two items "new format 1" and "new format 2" in the File menu, that are not indented under "Process", really do the same thing as the VOB-MUX and Multiplex that are under "Process", but using new code?

So, should I be using these items instead of the old ones? That note was 4 versions back, so maybe the "old" stuff is no longer in place anyway?

--John

malfunct
08-10-2004, 12:31 AM
I'm reading back through the doc files to see if there are any actual instructions on what the different menu options do and how to properly use this tool, etc.

In 9r12.doc it mentions the old muxer and the new muxer and two new menu items. But, I don't follow what is being said. I think it means that the two items "new format 1" and "new format 2" in the File menu, that are not indented under "Process", really do the same thing as the VOB-MUX and Multiplex that are under "Process", but using new code?

So, should I be using these items instead of the old ones? That note was 4 versions back, so maybe the "old" stuff is no longer in place anyway?

--John

You understand correctly. The "new" muxer is still being flushed out and its intent is to make more "dvd" like output so that more players (and other software) like the mpegs generated. Its till not 100% though it makes pretty good output in most cases. Basically if the "old" muxer does everything have wanted then continue to use it. If you are having some issues try the new muxer and see if its better. The actual format of the output is different but it will play back the same if the player handles it ok.

jdiner
08-10-2004, 11:57 AM
The presence of another DLL with the same name already loaded by something else will not affect which DLL is chosen. FIRST it looks at the current directory and PATH variable and finds the file. THEN it sees if that specific file is already open and shares the physical pages; otherwise it maps in the file, even if another file with the same base name (but different path) is present.
While this is what the docs say, it is without question NOT what is happening when using the cygwin.dll. They might have changed something in the nature and behaviour of their own custom DLL I can't speak to that. It might be that the docs for the loader in Windows are out of date or wrong, I can't speak to that either. But Koreth and the others are right. I have myself run up against that same exact problem time and again. If you have a different version of cygwin.dll loaded for whatever the reason, in my case I had a bash shell window open, and you try to run something new it will find and use the currently running version of the DLL and in getting a bad version cause the programs to explode and die. Took awhile to figure out what was going wrong when it first started showing up.

FWIW, I always change the name of the DLL when releasing a new version. That way programs always run with the version they were tested against, and multiple versions can be present with no problem.
And perhaps this is what I should do. Change and pre-edit the bins to look for the change. That way there is far less chance of a conflict occuring. I just never thought about but then I no longer use cygwin for anything but the occasional compiling of TyTool helper apps.

--jdiner

malfunct
08-10-2004, 01:11 PM
While this is what the docs say, it is without question NOT what is happening when using the cygwin.dll. They might have changed something in the nature and behaviour of their own custom DLL I can't speak to that. It might be that the docs for the loader in Windows are out of date or wrong, I can't speak to that either. But Koreth and the others are right. I have myself run up against that same exact problem time and again. If you have a different version of cygwin.dll loaded for whatever the reason, in my case I had a bash shell window open, and you try to run something new it will find and use the currently running version of the DLL and in getting a bad version cause the programs to explode and die. Took awhile to figure out what was going wrong when it first started showing up.

And perhaps this is what I should do. Change and pre-edit the bins to look for the change. That way there is far less chance of a conflict occuring. I just never thought about but then I no longer use cygwin for anything but the occasional compiling of TyTool helper apps.

--jdiner

The (likely) problem is that Cygwin is not built as a versioned dll internally. This defeats all the "fixes" in winXP for dll hell and the behavior that is seen is exactly what the loadlibrary documentation explains. If cygwin complied itself with new version tags then windows (at least windows xp) would notice that the versions were different and decide not to reuse the already loaded module.

Anyways I have no real idea if this is what is happening but all the documentation I read yesterday lead me to that conclusion. Win XP (probably win2k as well) gives the opportunity to fix "dll hell" with your dlls if you decide to build them correctly but offers no help if you do not. BTW this would not be any problem of JDiner but instead a problem with windows and the cygwin dll itself. Koreth's renaming strategy is a good one though it requires patching tytool. Maybe (if its not against cygwin licencing) jdiner could change the next version of tytool to load the differently named cygwin dll and put it with a different name in the zip since the tools included with tytool seem very sensitive to version. Anyways thats my thoughts for what they are worth.

jdiner
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Koreth's renaming strategy is a good one though it requires patching tytool. Maybe (if its not against cygwin licencing) jdiner could change the next version of tytool to load the differently named cygwin dll and put it with a different name in the zip since the tools included with tytool seem very sensitive to version.
TyTool does not directly use cygwin.dll. mpeg2enc.exe and dvdauthor.exe, neither of which I compiled myself, need that dll. So it is really just a matter of altering those other 2 EXE's directly.

--jdiner

malfunct
08-10-2004, 01:55 PM
TyTool does not directly use cygwin.dll. mpeg2enc.exe and dvdauthor.exe, neither of which I compiled myself, need that dll. So it is really just a matter of altering those other 2 EXE's directly.

--jdiner

Yes, thats right, I should have remembered that. I think my fingers type before my brain gets fully engaged sometimes.

FredThompson
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
...it's important that the de-interlacing know whether the source material is film or video based.

On a related note, what tool will let me look at a DVD and see how it's put together, including the settings relating to this issue?DTiVo streams? Until there is solid field padding, you're not going to have the results you want UNLESS you use a PC to do the playback.

IfoEdit and PGCEdit are probably what you're looking for.

jdlugosz
08-11-2004, 12:46 AM
The (likely) problem is that Cygwin is not built as a versioned dll internally. This defeats all the "fixes" in winXP for dll hell and the behavior that is seen is exactly

I just looked at mpeg2enc in the ever-useful Dependancy Walker (depends.exe). It is linked to cygwin1.dll in the normal way, and the program loader will map this file into the address space before any code associated with that EXE is run.

LoadLibrary (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/loadlibrary.asp) is used by the program loader, so this describes where it looks.

There is more notes for XP and some newer features. If the file is not in the same directory as the EXE, I can see that the behavior might change under XP with certain options set. Perhaps BASH is setting the DLL path or setting up DLL redirection, or something.

The only other thing I can think of is that cygwin1.dll is registered as one of those well-known system DLLs, but I don't recall the details of that feature, but I think the ".local" file will defeat that and load the one in the directory with the EXE anyway.

As for versioning, the Win32 LoadLibrary mechanism doesn't have any awareness for versions. The cygwin1.dll file in my directory does have a version resource (1005.7.0.0). But that means nothing to the load mechanisms. You must be thinking of "dot NET" assemblies, which also can have .dll file extensions , but features version matching for assemblies loaded into the global assembly cache. In that case you don't have control over file names and locations -- it is "installed" and gets sucked into the bowels of Windows somewhere.

--John

jdiner
08-11-2004, 01:05 AM
DTiVo streams? Until there is solid field padding, you're not going to have the results you want UNLESS you use a PC to do the playback.
I personally believe you are overstating the importance here. You are looking for perfection and seem a bit out of sorts that it is not there yet. 99% of everyone here has never even noticed the field issues you've mentioned.

--jdiner

malfunct
08-11-2004, 01:11 AM
As for versioning, the Win32 LoadLibrary mechanism doesn't have any awareness for versions. The cygwin1.dll file in my directory does have a version resource (1005.7.0.0). But that means nothing to the load mechanisms. You must be thinking of "dot NET" assemblies, which also can have .dll file extensions , but features version matching for assemblies loaded into the global assembly cache. In that case you don't have control over file names and locations -- it is "installed" and gets sucked into the bowels of Windows somewhere.

--John

Yeah I know the .NET versioning all too well (in greater detail than I ever hoped to) but I could swear the documentation I read last night (not from MSDN so it is likely wrong) was talking about normal dlls. What you mentioned in the rest of your post matches everything except one piece I read that said windows XP had "fixed" the versioning problem if the dlls were correctly built to take advantage of the fixes. Eh I'll trust you as I know far less than you on this particular subject. I do 100% .NET these days at work so thats what I know and I never learned the nitty gritty of C/C++ in regards to windows programming.

jdiner
08-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Ok look. Enough about the DLLs. Regardless of what the docs say, actual experience has made it clear what happens and in whatever strange way it gloms onto the existing in memory DLL and you get version cross over.

The fix in regards to TyTool is simple albiet requires a bit of understanding of hexeditors etc... For now and for here in thread enough said. We can't fix windows, MS won't fix it for us no matter how much we beg, so just let it go.

--jdiner

FredThompson
08-11-2004, 04:25 PM
So what's the proper way to use the DLLs? I downloaded a cygwin from alt.binaries.hackorz.bumrush.org which works with everything else? What's wrong with TyTool?

(...scampering off before jdiner hits me...) :p :eek:

snoots
08-11-2004, 05:40 PM
You just have to have the .dll in the same folder/directory as the tytools apps.

malfunct
08-11-2004, 05:50 PM
So what's the proper way to use the DLLs? I downloaded a cygwin from alt.binaries.hackorz.bumrush.org which works with everything else? What's wrong with TyTool?

(...scampering off before jdiner hits me...) :p :eek:

To be clear its not tytool that has an issue, its mpeg2enc. As best I can tell its some issues with handling of SSE commands and come of the calculations going nutty from what I remember when it was first discussed.

snoots
08-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Sorry, my mistake for not reading the entire thread, I just saw the last post.

FredThompson
08-14-2004, 08:20 PM
My earlier post was a joke of the "cross this line, you die" variety...

Josh,

why does TyTool show number of seconds a stream has been in extraction as seconds but a clock display for the time remaining? How about a clock readout for the time passed?

Would it be possible for TyTool to give a rough bitrate count for recorded streams shown as byte count/time? byte count alone isn't sufficient for dupe elimination if any of the various buffering hacks are used.

Would it be possible to pause and resume extraction of a stream? I'm thinking of something similar to download resumption of a web browser. The stream extraction would start at a loction within the recorded stream based on the length of the existing ty file on the destination hard drive.

Now it's time for praise, huh? I've noticed the muxed output of 9r16 is far more compatible with position sliders in Media Player Classic. Thanks for being so dogged in chasing down mux issues.

Toddler
08-15-2004, 03:39 AM
Guys, I have been a SA Series 1 user for a long time, but I just bought three SA Series 2 units. I am having a tough time figuring out how to hack them to do extraction and what limitations that leads to. It looks like maybe I need to swap PROM chips? But then that may also be outdated info. I'm just hoping I can pull shows from them and still use the HMO. Can someone point me to the definitive newbie guide for SA Series 2?

ADent
08-15-2004, 04:37 AM
Look for Sleepers ISO.

Toddler
08-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks. I'm reading 120+ pages and it's making my head spin. The most confusing part to me is that I can't figure out how to tell if you need to have your PROM chip replaced. I wish there was a simple walkthrough how-to for the complete newbie.

I know this isn't the thread for this topic, so I'll drop it. I just know most folks in here are probably already doing exactly what I want to do, so if anyone wants to help me out, PMs are much appreciated.

jdiner
08-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I did my own hacking prior to the sleeper's ISO days.

It was found here on this site IIRC with an extremely step by step guide, mine was a Series2 DTivo but it appears to be enough the same to be extremely usable. I did it all in about 45 minutes.

I can try to find what I had if you can't locate it. But I believe mine was by "surgeon" or something like that. It was also sald pre-monte days and I figure the monte approach is substantially better. But there have been good explanations and step-by-step instructions at various points.

--jdiner

asicguyca
08-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Guys, I have been a SA Series 1 user for a long time, but I just bought three SA Series 2 units. I am having a tough time figuring out how to hack them to do extraction and what limitations that leads to. It looks like maybe I need to swap PROM chips? But then that may also be outdated info. I'm just hoping I can pull shows from them and still use the HMO. Can someone point me to the definitive newbie guide for SA Series 2?

Toddler,

Sleepers ISO allowed me to hack my Hughes HDVR2 DTiVo box without any prom change. The only hardware I changed was to upgrade the HD to 120G.
I believe I have read that SA Series 2 boxes can use Sleepers scripts, but I am not 100% sure since it does not apply to my situation. I have burned at least 200 DVDs with source material from my previous SA1 TiVo and my current Series 2 DTiVo.

The use of Sleepers scripts for me just worked the first time. I have had
the HDVR2 crash a few times, but I don't know if it is related to my hacks.
It has been stable for a long time now.

Good luck!

jdiner
08-15-2004, 08:19 PM
why does TyTool show number of seconds a stream has been in extraction as seconds but a clock display for the time remaining? How about a clock readout for the time passed?
Because they were built at wildly different times. The original one dates back to when I was first writing the download part and the remaining part is from less than 6 months ago. I was just thinking about them differently. I suppose I could convert them to be the same I just never even noticed it was doing that.

Would it be possible for TyTool to give a rough bitrate count for recorded streams shown as byte count/time? byte count alone isn't sufficient for dupe elimination if any of the various buffering hacks are used.
Not really. That requires decoding of the frames throughout the stream. Doing so would slow down the work of TyTool dramatically for a very minor informational gain. It would be better to simply use a different tool to do it.

Would it be possible to pause and resume extraction of a stream? I'm thinking of something similar to download resumption of a web browser. The stream extraction would start at a loction within the recorded stream based on the length of the existing ty file on the destination hard drive.
What I had designed was closer to the nature of an FTP client. The ability to stop a download and then reget from that point even in a different run of the client. But it was never built. It is still on the todo list for a later date.

--jdiner

Jer
08-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Dear all
I jsut got my S1 SA up and running fianlly
I tried to make a keyfile stream and tytools crashed when i hit process it has done this on 3 diffrent computers..
yet it works fine with my dtivo s2
it works with tystudio..but ick!...TS doesnt have half of the usefulness of tytool :)
the Ty file plays fine in WMP using tyshow and does play back fine on the tivo

Detected Tivo Type: **Unknown**
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 864
Final standardFrameLength = 0
Final standardAudioDiff = 6480 or 00:00:00.072
First Video PTS: 00:24:43.202

is there any way I can help debug the problem?
I am more then happy to post the file on the web but it is 112meg in size
if I take a small few second snippet ~10meg it works fne but anything onver a few minutes gives this crash

Thanks

Jer

jdiner
08-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Alright. TyTool 9r17 has been released. This version includes fixes for the latest UK bugs that were reported here.

It works for the test files that I have so hopefully it will work for everyone else.

Those with UK editing issues give it a try and see what happens.

The main cause of the issue was that mpeg2enc.exe was failing in a brand new way. It didn't like the data rate as it thought it was in NTSC mode and not PAL. PAL is now being forced and as a result is working here.

For those with the issue please let me know what your results are.

--jdiner

lenroc
08-16-2004, 12:08 AM
TyTool 9r17 with DVD Support. The attachment has the new versions of the [toolset] in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it.

I have a Standalone S2 running 4.01b.

I believe it's a pretty well-known issue that the tserver_mfs7_mips that's included here does not support SA S2s. That got me wondering though:

Does the tserver_mfs7_mips version included here work for anyone? I believe I've read that the included version doesn't work for HDVR2s, either. So if it doesn't work for S2 DTiVos, and it doesn't work for S2 SAs, who does it work for?

Sorry if I'm being dense. I guess what I'm really wondering is two-fold:
1. Does tserver_mfs7_mips here work for anyone?
2. Is there any reason not to include Musclenerd's tserver_mfs in this package?

For the record, the tserver_mfs that works for me on my SA S2 is here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=115317#post115317).

And as an easy way to tell the various tservers apart:

tivo:/var/local/test$ md5sum *
4c2707c3a8d2c523e4668f84af840fa7 tserver_mfs // MuscleNerd's version
c77e463ddecde961b237f6479c49156d tserver_mfs7 // PPC version from this package
fd2eb7037c9b346aae4508f71387499a tserver_mfs7_mips // Mips version from this package

Anyway, not a big deal. Thanks again for the great tools (and all the time and effort you put into supporting them)!

jdiner
08-16-2004, 01:03 AM
It works form me and everyone I have helped set it up.

I dunno what your problem is with it.

EDIT: I was typing one handed last night while trying to get a few other things done. This had typos and wasn't really what I was trying to say.

I release this version because I built it originally and it works everywhere I have tried to use it. I really don't know what the problem a few people here have. But it without question real or MuscleNerd would never have built a new release.

I find that most people having problems use Sleeper's ISO. That might be part of it, but then it might not. Again I do not know.

Here is what I can garantee. I have helped set up 4 different series 2 tivos, some are HDVR2s and some are stand-alones. Using the bin I built and release in my archives I have had it work on every single one of them. You get the printed string warning about CRC issues but these are only warnings and it moves on and works perfectly for extraction.

As for the rest of it???

--jdiner

Cheezmo
08-16-2004, 01:36 AM
It works forme and everyone I have helped set it up.

I duuno what your problem is with it.

--jdiner

On the HD Tivo, the mips version of tserver that you include outputs this...

tserver_mfs7_mips
failed to open []

lenroc
08-16-2004, 02:26 AM
Yes, my problem is the same as Cheezmo's.

What types of boxes have you successfully run your version of tserver_mfs_mips on? (SA S2s?)

gNOMEintheRedHa
08-16-2004, 01:08 PM
It is not an issue with the MIPS version of the tserver.

It is an issue with version 4.0 of the Tivo Software.

I have been using MuscleNerd's version without a single issue.

thanks,
gnomeintheredhat

Jer
08-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Hi........
I get this on every stream i pull off my S1 SA using 9r17a
and then Tytool crashes :( after a few seconds

First Video PTS: 13:15:21.858

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 13:15:21.758
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 13:15:21.758
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

redstone
08-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Yes, my problem is the same as Cheezmo's.

What types of boxes have you successfully run your version of tserver_mfs_mips on? (SA S2s?)

I had the same exact problem on my HDTIVO so I asked for help in another thread.

Here was the response and it solved my problem:

I had posted the same question in the tytool forum and was told to go here and do this:

Originally Posted by Haderak

jdiner
08-16-2004, 08:22 PM
It is not an issue with the MIPS version of the tserver.

It is an issue with version 4.0 of the Tivo Software.

I have been using MuscleNerd's version without a single issue.

Oh version 4 of the OS. I never really put that together. I mentioned before to someone else that I don't have a machine running that version and I still don't. I didn't realize it was that wildly different. Ack...

--jdiner

jdiner
08-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I'll look at what MuscleNerd did and see what changes were made and try to get a version that puts everything together for future releases.

--jdiner

Jer
08-16-2004, 08:32 PM
JD.

I was wondering if you could be kind enough to tell me what this means
This is from an S1 SA @ high Q.. when told to make a key file....this will crash any ver of Tytool from 9r12 to 9r17 but tystuido works ok....:/

I wannnnt tytool :)

First Video PTS: 00:00:09.760

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 18165 (f5 46 7a bd)

checkNumRecs: # 0 2 ( 0): 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 f ff 4 0 0 0 8
We got a 2 and it has body as well!
checkNumRecs: # 1 8 ( 0): 0 0 0 8 3b 9a ca 0 0 0 4 8 0 0 0 0
checkNumRecs: # 2 1 ( 0): 0 0 0 1 ff ff ff ff ff ff fd ff 0 0 0 7
We got a 1 and it has body as well!
checkNumRecs: # 3 96 ( 561711): 89 22 fe 60 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 10
checkNumRecs: # 4 16 ( 834717): cb c9 d4 10 ff fd ff ff ff ff df ff 0 0 0 1a
checkNumRecs: # 5 223 ( 42851): a 76 3b df ff ff f7 ff ff ff f7 ff 0 0 0 23
checkNumRecs: # 6 196 ( 315865): 4d 1d 93 c4 fe ff ff ff ff ff df ff 0 0 0 2c
checkNumRecs: # 7 61 ( 458530): 6f f2 2a 3d ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 35
checkNumRecs: # 8 40 ( 609350): 94 c4 64 28 fb ff ff ff ff ff f7 f7 0 0 0 3e
checkNumRecs: # 9 197 ( 866066): d3 71 22 c5 ff ff fd ff ff ef ff ff 0 0 0 48
checkNumRecs: # 10 48 ( 74211): 12 1e 38 30 ff ff ff ff ff fb ff ff 0 0 0 51
checkNumRecs: # 11 126 ( 265756): 40 e1 c1 7e ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 5a
checkNumRecs: # 12 245 ( 489893): 77 9a 51 f5 ff ff ff f7 ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 63
checkNumRecs: # 13 188 ( 738465): b4 4a 1a bc 7b ff ff ff ff ff bf ff 0 0 0 6c
checkNumRecs: # 14 148 ( 872995): d5 22 3d 94 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 76
checkNumRecs: # 15 225 ( 56700): d d7 c3 e1 df ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 7f
checkNumRecs: # 16 160 ( 297134): 48 8a ed a0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 88
checkNumRecs: # 17 12 ( 513120): 7d 46 6 c ef ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 91
checkNumRecs: # 18 203 ( 753554): b7 f9 2f cb ff ff ff ff ff fd ff ff 0 0 0 9a
checkNumRecs: # 19 96 ( 1002132): f4 a9 4f 60 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 a4
checkNumRecs: # 20 232 ( 63651): f 8a 39 e8 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 ad
checkNumRecs: # 21 95 ( 287788): 46 42 ca 5f ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 b6
checkNumRecs: # 22 225 ( 520077): 7e f8 d2 e1 ff ff ff ff ff ff f7 ff 0 0 0 bf
checkNumRecs: # 23 57 ( 760509): b9 ab d1 39 ff ff ef ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 c8
checkNumRecs: # 24 211 ( 927628): e2 78 cf d3 ff ef ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 d2
checkNumRecs: # 25 110 ( 217240): 35 9 88 6e df fd ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 db
checkNumRecs: # 26 173 ( 351773): 55 e1 d6 ad ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 e4
checkNumRecs: # 27 29 ( 527036): 80 ab cb 1d ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 ed
checkNumRecs: # 28 243 ( 743038): b5 67 e7 f3 ff fb ff fb ff ff ff ff 0 0 0 f6
checkNumRecs: # 29 33 ( 991613): f2 17 dc 21 ff ff ef ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 0
checkNumRecs: # 30 10 ( 175329): 2a ce 10 a ff ff f7 ff ff bf ff fb 0 0 1 9
checkNumRecs: # 31 225 ( 350594): 55 98 2f e1 ff ff ff ff ff ff ef ff 0 0 1 12
checkNumRecs: # 32 171 ( 599181): 92 48 d1 ab f7 ff ff ff 7f ff ff ff 0 0 1 1b
checkNumRecs: # 33 75 ( 855910): d0 f6 69 4b ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 25
checkNumRecs: # 34 133 ( 23325): 5 b1 d8 85 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 2e
checkNumRecs: # 35 66 ( 133428): 20 93 45 42 ff ef ff f7 ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 37
checkNumRecs: # 36 104 ( 373865): 5b 46 9a 68 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 40
checkNumRecs: # 37 20 ( 598010): 91 ff ad 14 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 49
checkNumRecs: # 38 107 ( 879178): d6 a4 a8 6b ff ff fb 77 ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 52
checkNumRecs: # 39 59 ( 1005570): f5 80 2c 3b ff ff ff ff ff ff 7f ff 0 0 1 5c
checkNumRecs: # 40 97 ( 197432): 30 33 81 61 ff ff ff fe ff ef ff ff 0 0 1 65
checkNumRecs: # 41 128 ( 388995): 5e f8 3a 80 ff f7 ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 6e
checkNumRecs: # 42 63 ( 629430): 99 ab 64 3f df ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 77
checkNumRecs: # 43 215 ( 878021): d6 5c 5c d7 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 81
checkNumRecs: # 44 120 ( 45439): b 17 f7 78 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 8a
checkNumRecs: # 45 aud ( 269595): 41 d1 b7 c0 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 0 0 1 93

Rowan
08-16-2004, 09:29 PM
jdiner,

Any change you will ever make the mpeg2enc -qX option configurable/savable in the ini file. I am one of the poor slobs that have an Intel processor and I have to patch the .exe file every time you release a new version due to the bad artifacts. (I finally got smart and wrote a program that finds and fix's the calls automatically :))

Thanks,

Rowan

jdiner
08-17-2004, 12:24 AM

That is a non recognized (i.e. magic chunk) that isn't used. Nothing in there lines up and is not usable.

The real problem would seem to be that for whatever the reason it is not sync'ing properly on the type of stream for whatever the reason and thus not properly splitting this unrecognized stream. Try jumping to various locations in the stream and seem if it can't find/recognize the file. It should be recognizing things as there is nothing new in the old series 1 standalone units. It has been working for a very very long time.

So other streams work? Do streams from other channels work?

There is something wrong with the whole setup. Have any of the new OS releases turned on scrambling for these older units?

--jdiner

jdiner
08-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Any change you will ever make the mpeg2enc -qX option configurable/savable in the ini file. I am one of the poor slobs that have an Intel processor and I have to patch the .exe file every time you release a new version due to the bad artifacts. (I finally got smart and wrote a program that finds and fix's the calls automatically :))
Ummm. Yeah. I thought I had. Ooops. It is something that should get fixed. It would be nice if mpeg2enc would just get it right but so far no suck luck.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-17-2004, 12:48 AM

Alright this fix is in and present in the lastest build to be released next time there is one. Given that it made the most sense it is part of the edit menu, at the bottom, in the Menu Creation Dialog. (As that is where mpeg2enc gets called from).

It saves and loads the setting from the TyTool.ini file. So from here on out it should be fixed for those that need to change it.

--jdiner

Jer
08-17-2004, 01:21 AM
That is a non recognized (i.e. magic chunk) that isn't used. Nothing in there lines up and is not usable.

The real problem would seem to be that for whatever the reason it is not sync'ing properly on the type of stream for whatever the reason and thus not properly splitting this unrecognized stream. Try jumping to various locations in the stream and seem if it can't find/recognize the file. It should be recognizing things as there is nothing new in the old series 1 standalone units. It has been working for a very very long time.

I have tried to jump from 100 to like 2000 all resulting in a crash

So other streams work? Do streams from other channels work?

No matter what channel i tune to the output is the same
yet streams from my other S2 Dtivo work PERFECTLY (your tools rock)
Now if only I could make it work with this S1 SA

There is something wrong with the whole setup. Have any of the new OS releases turned on scrambling for these older units?

I wish I knew...if i reocrd a real small file..like for a few seconds it will understand it and play fine so wouldnt't this rule out scrambling??

FredThompson
08-17-2004, 01:43 AM
I find that most people having problems use Sleeper's ISO. That might be part of it, but then it might not. Again I do not know.

Sleeper's ISO has an old verions of tyserver. Send and link the proper version to a Sleeper ISO-modified S2 and it should work.

jdiner
08-17-2004, 01:51 AM
I wish I knew...if i reocrd a real small file..like for a few seconds it will understand it and play fine so wouldnt't this rule out scrambling??
I just tested a few S1 SA streams I keep for testing purposes. They all work just fine.

And yes, if you can get a small segment and it works then that would rule out scrambling.

--jdiner

Jer
08-17-2004, 01:56 AM
I just tested a few S1 SA streams I keep for testing purposes. They all work just fine.

And yes, if you can get a small segment and it works then that would rule out scrambling.

--jdiner

Is there anything else that I can try to figure out what is going on here?
I am really at a loss

Jer

w2kr
08-17-2004, 02:16 AM
I've a few questions about the DVD authoring.

1) It seems no matter how small I make the font for each item, I can only fit 12 items on the menu and there doesn't appear to be a way to page to the remaining items. I'd like to put about 20 items on the menu.

2) How do I author the DVD so that once the 1st title finishes, play continues on the next title?

3) Is there a way to combine multiple MPG/VOB files into one?

lenroc
08-17-2004, 02:25 AM
1) It seems no matter how small I make the font for each item, I can only fit 12 items on the menu and there doesn't appear to be a way to page to the remaining items. I'd like to put about 20 items on the menu.

Are you using a template that has only 12 items, or did you make your own 20 item template? (There are docs on creating templates...)

I believe that the "Attach VOB" option is what you're looking for, should be explained in the docs somewhere if an explanation is needed. (I've never had a need for the feature, so I can't say from experience)

Looking briefly at the UI, it seems that when you're creating the IFO files/dirs, the option you want is "Extra VOB(s)"

jdiner
08-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Is there anything else that I can try to figure out what is going on here?
I am really at a loss
The real problem comes from this:

First Video PTS: 00:00:09.760

The audio is way to far away. In SA Tivos the audio size is never ever 72ms's away in each PU. It is 24 for a DTivo and 32 for an SA Tivo. I am not even sure how one would get to a 72.

Further the tivo type is unknown meaning it could even figure out what tivo type it was supposed to be so there is little to no how that TyTool is going get it right. The default setting in an unknown environment like that are DTivo settings.

The reason for this details list is so that you can look to see what TyTool/VSplit are going to try and do.

Use TyFileSplit and make a clip that has say the first 40 chunks in it. Then put it up somewhere where I can download it and let me know what it is ready. I will look at it when I get a chance. What I really don't get it what the difference is. I have asked but you have never posted the full list of information. Check the FAQ for what is needed. But something appears to have changed as the for the first time in forever SA tivos are producing different, apparently quite different stream.

--jdiner

jdiner
08-17-2004, 11:25 AM
That is the size of the default menu found within TyTool. Make a custom template file that has more in locations that look good to you, and load and use that. The actual limit per menu is 256. But having that many in that resolution would me 1 maybe 2 characters per title each.

How to make templates is defined in the included TyTool-Templates.doc in the main directory of the release.

2) How do I author the DVD so that once the 1st title finishes, play continues on the next title?
You can't. Not directly with TyTool. You have to read up on DVDAuthor the helper app that TyTool uses, then alter things so it does what you want, and
reprocess things to get a new different ifo fileset.

To help along with that TyTool creates a file called make.bat that lists the steps taken to make the DVD IFO fileset.

Yeah. There has been for a very very long time, and it was recently extremely expanded feature wise. Read the FAQ!

--jdiner

malfunct
08-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Oh version 4 of the OS. I never really put that together. I mentioned before to someone else that I don't have a machine running that version and I still don't. I didn't realize it was that wildly different. Ack...

--jdiner

Not wildly different, just a different block size or something like that, its a fairly small change to the code to support 4.0.

EDIT: ok did some research and found the post with the fix for the superblock issue

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145291&postcount=53

w2kr
08-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Regarding reading the FAQ to find out how to combine MPG/VOB, I've spent hours looking for the right FAQ and the answer to this question. I must be searching on the wrong terms. A direct pointer (or at least a clue) to the answer would be very much appreciated. Is the answer to use TyTool to "add extra VOB" or perhaps use MPEG2VCR

Yeah. There has been for a very very long time, and it was recently extremely expanded feature wise. Read the FAQ!

--jdiner

eastwind
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
jdiner,
As long as you're making new options........
How about one that makes the make file, but doesn't process the VOBs. Or something to make the fileset without a menu. Just a request, not a demand. And I don't really know how hard it is to code in something like that. And if the GUI is getting too convoluted, maybe it could just be an INI entry for those of us that want it?
Thanks,
ew