PDA

View Full Version : DVD Creation Help

userbob2000
07-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am having no luck creating a DVD from a ty stream. I am using TyTool 9r15 to create mpg files (Multiplex File and Multiplex (New Format) 2). I am using DVD Lab 1.4 Beta 2. I can import the movie as an asset and create everything (chapters, menus, etc) just fine. I cannot compile the DVD, however. It starts the "Muxing" of the file and after about 15 seconds I get an error message and the compiling is halted. I have also tried using older versions of TyTool and I get the same results. I've read a lot of posts concerning this and I can't figure out what I'm not doing correctly. Please help!

bato
07-16-2004, 02:35 PM
DVDlab doesn't work well with mpeg files with large GOPs. I uploaded many files for Oscar to test (DVDlab's author), so I hope the next DVDlab PRO beta release will handle tivo files better.

1.4 beta 2 is the last Standard version he released, the PRO version is at 5c right now.

I haven't used DVDlab standard in a while and I think 1.4 beta 2 doesn't have the relaxed muxer option that worked well up until version 1.3.1. So you can use 1.3.1 and check my old guides here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25261)

userbob2000
07-16-2004, 03:13 PM
I will try and use DVD Lab 1.3 and follow your guide. I do not understand part of it though:

TyTool7r3 and up (shows more than 1gb):
- make key files, edit key files, vob-mux
- create IFO files/dirs with all shows you want, you need to create NO chapters, so if your show is less than 99min select chapters every 99min, if your show is more than 99min then you'll have to manualy edit the .bat file to not create chapters
- you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder with several vobs (VTS_XX_Y.VOB) for each show
- use IFOEdit to rip each show and select "no split" to get only 1 vob for show bigger than 1gb

I have made the key file, edited the key file, and vob-mux the file. I don't understand the rest of that step. By the way, I only have one video (a movie) that I want to create the DVD with. It is about 1.6 Gb in size.

captain_video
07-16-2004, 03:25 PM
DVDlab doesn't work well with mpeg files with large GOPs.
Really? So far, version 1.3 has processed every mpeg I've thrown at it without a hitch. Most of the files have been edited-down ty files from either 1/2-hour or one hour shows but I've also processed several 2-hour miniseries' with it and never encountered any problems to date. I've done 110 episodes of Babylon 5, all 13 episodes of Crusade, all B5 TV movies, Dune, Children of Dune, Sex and the City, 180 episodes of Seinfeld, and over one-third of the Simpsons episodes so far (a work in progress). Every mpeg was created using TyTools (various versions) and DVD-Lab has never complained once. I've found it to be the best authoring tool from the commercially available programs for use with ty files when authoring complex DVD compilations with more advanced menus and intro audio and video segments. For simple compilations I use TyTools from start to finish.

userbob2000
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, I just created a VOB with TyTools and created my DVD that way. It was created successfully by DVD Lab 1.3. I got an error message when trying to burn the DVD with Nero, but I could burn it anyway. I put the movie in and the menus work fine, but no matter what scene I select, it starts at the beginning. I cannot fast forward the movie either, the screen locks up. If I leave everything alone and start from the beginning of the movie, it will play a couple of minutes and then it freezes. I seem to be close, but not quite there. What am I missing.

bato
07-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Really? So far, version 1.3 has ...
Sorry for the misinformation, DVDlab 1.4 beta 2 and all PRO versions doesn't work well with large GOPs (from Tivos, DVB or dish pvr), in fact PRO beta 5c doesn't even start the compile process, it fails to work with files that are not DVD resolution (Oscar will fix that in next beta). You can use 1.3.1 with good results.

bato
07-16-2004, 10:35 PM
I have made the key file, edited the key file, and vob-mux the file. I don't understand the rest of that step. By the way, I only have one video (a movie) that I want to create the DVD with. It is about 1.6 Gb in size.

Well, I just created a VOB with TyTools and created my DVD that way. It was created successfully by DVD Lab 1.3. I got an error message when trying to burn the DVD with Nero, but I could burn it anyway. I put the movie in and the menus work fine, but no matter what scene I select, it starts at the beginning. I cannot fast forward the movie either, the screen locks up. If I leave everything alone and start from the beginning of the movie, it will play a couple of minutes and then it freezes. I seem to be close, but not quite there. What am I missing.

If you only vob-mux, then you get a VOB without NAV information, that's why DVDlab try to put chapters, but in your player it always start and you can't fast forward.

You can:
a) create mpeg then use DVDlab with alternative multiplexer (it will demux and remux your file so it will take more time than using the VOB)
or
b) create IFOs with Tytool and then import the final VOBs into DVDlab letting it join the VOBs before using (because DVDs split VOBs at 1GB, so you'll have 2 VOBs for that movie).

userbob2000
07-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Alright, I think I'm getting closer. I used Tytools 9r15 and I multiplexed the file (I had to use the 'new format'). I added that mpeg to DVD Lab 1.3.1 where it proceeded to create an mpv file and an ac3 file. I added both files to my 'Movie 1' and created my menu's, backgrounds, etc. I used the alternative muxing engine and I get the following error: "INTERNAL ERROR: Additional data required but no free space in input buffer." It then proceeded to create the movie. I used NERO and burnt the movie to a DVD-RW check it out. The movie worked great. My scene selection worked fine too. But...no sound! What did I miss?

userbob2000
07-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Correction, I have sound, only for the first 7 seconds of the movie, then it cuts out. I have confirmed that the sounds works in the original mpeg file.

malfunct
07-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Correction, I have sound, only for the first 7 seconds of the movie, then it cuts out. I have confirmed that the sounds works in the original mpeg file.

Any time Tytool gives you an error it means something went wrong in the process. Some of the errors are really just informational but this one it seems was a real problem. I'd try to re-mux the original file and see if that helps, if not you will probably not be able to successfully process the file with tytool.

userbob2000
07-19-2004, 01:48 PM
The error I get is in DVD Lab, not Tytools. I don't have any problems with Tytools.

eastwind
07-20-2004, 12:19 PM
One possibility I can think of is a shift in the audio stream from MP2 to AC3 (or vice versa). Check the output in PowerDVD with Show Information checked and watch from the beginning to see if it changes at the point where you lose audio (from MPEG to Dolby or the other way around). If this is your problem, you might want to set the option in TyTool for AC3 output (Options..Audio..8) and try re-muxing.

ew

doungchak
07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
I've had some success get Ty streams off my DTivo to burn via DVDLab but I have questions so I thought I'd post my success and failures and see if there are any comments.

Use TyTool 9r15, and DVDLab 1.3.1

1. Pull the streams off Tivo (no problem)
2. Create Key Files and Edit Out Commercials (no problem)
3. Multiplex Using New Format 2 and Transcode to AC3 (Option #8)

First Attempt (Didn't Always Work)

1. Take Multiplexed File into DVDLab, asked it to DeMux. On some occations, it would give me the error that the vob file had encrypted video. (Anyone know why I can't demux all my files in DVDLab?)

2. Re-import file now with out DeMuxing.

3. Compile using alternate engine (Anyone know why the Main Engine won't work?)

4. Result: Audio cuts out in middle of movie. (expected output)

Second Attempt (Works Great)

1. DeMux file using TMPEncoder 2.5.

2. Import AC3 files and MPV into DVDLab

3. Create Menus and Chapters

4. Compile using the alternate engine. (Anyone know why the Main Engine won't work)

5. Burn.

6. Result: Great. Plays great in home DVD player.

Thanks,

-Flint

eastwind
07-21-2004, 07:49 PM
I would guess the Main Engine won't work because you are feeding it non-DVD spec video. DTiVos record whatever DTV sends down (typically 480x480). DVD spec calls for 352x480 (half D1) or 720x480 (full D1). This is just a guess, though, and you might find out more about it in the DVDLab support threads (different board).

ew

userbob2000
07-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Thank you for everyone's help. I tried Doungchak's TMPGenc method and it worked great!

doungchak
07-22-2004, 07:34 PM
I've tried a couple of differnt things now to see how I can get the DVDLab internal demuxer to work. I've tried different output from TyTool, VOB files, etc.

It seems that it's releated to file size somehow. The smaller ones seem to work OK, but it's not that consistent. It would be nice to use the internal demuxer. For now, I'll just use TMPEncoder. I'll keep you all posted.

airf00
07-27-2004, 10:28 PM
I've had some success and some failures.

Using 9rel15, my TY files after cutting commercials are right around the 4 gig size. Tour of France stages. :) I've tried VOB, MPG old and new versions and for all but 2 of my earlier successes, they all give me an error when I import into DVD-lab 1.3. I get an encrypted filestream error.

The 2 successes I have no clue on why they worked, but they work great. Menu's, FF etc works great. Guess I keep trying and hope it eventually works. I did try to use tmpgenc but then I had no audio. Not sure if I used it correctly.