PDA

View Full Version : Win2K DVD burning issues

FredThompson
07-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Has anyone noticed problems with drag&drop burning under Win2K during the past few weeks? All my systems will now burn a complete disc but fail during verification. Is an ISO is prepared and burned with Alcohol 120 (no longer sold, btw) everything works just fine.

I've tried Nero as well as a few other burning apps. As far as I can tell, none of them create a temporary disc image from which to burn. Alcohol does this. There is an advanced setting in Nero which allows bypassing Windows overhead for drag&drop burning which seems to indicate the files are individually read as needed during the burn. Bleech!

If Windows/Norton AV overhead is screwing up the process, I'm hoping someone knows of a way to do drag&drop burning with verification as a temporary disc image. Creating an ISO then running manual verification (SFV, etc.) requires a lot more steps.

captain_video
07-17-2004, 10:14 AM
If you're just burning a file set to disc then there's no reason to create a temporary image. This is usually done only when creating an iso image or doing a disc-to-disc copy, AFAIK. I use an older version of Nero (5.5.9.0) and never had any problems burning DVDs in Win2K.

FredThompson
07-18-2004, 03:07 AM
The reason for creating a virtual disc is Nero opens and reads each file as the file is being burned to a disc. If there is a system throughput issue, it can mess up your burn. This is why Nero gives the Windows bypass option.

I'm using 5.5.10.56 or whatever the final release for 5.5 was. Maybe it's broken by recent OS updates...