PDA

View Full Version : Stand Alone Tivo and DirecTV

arthur
08-28-2001, 07:05 PM
I'm new to Tivo, though not new to hacking world.

I've read a lot of faqs and posts, but am still at a loss.

I have a stand Alone DTV (emu) and Stand Alone Philips Tivo
(still virgin and unplugged)

I know first step is to backup
and then get a bash prompt.
But what do I do after to utilize Tivo fully?

Do I use the fixup script and let Tivo Dial out?
Will it work past 30 days?

Do I use Tivo without hacks for 30 days and then restore a virgin image and use for another 30 days? (does that work?)

Where I live, there's no Tivo service.

Thanks

Arthur

Worf
08-29-2001, 01:38 AM
Standalones won't disable themselves after 30 days, at least not yet (DirecTV limitation? after all, DirecTV essentially dictates what happens to the DirecTiVo...)

Lure
08-29-2001, 08:08 AM
here's the list of actions to perform to get a tivo running outside of the service action.

1. make a backup
2. get a bashprompt
3. bypass setup
4. add channel for composite in
5. (change to PAL/Secam) nevermind if you have ntsc
6. kill nagscreens ( choice)

next is reading alot throu the forums and websites:D :D :D :D

arthur
08-29-2001, 11:22 AM
I appreciate your feedback folks,

Lure,
Reading is no problem. thank you for your step approach,

1- Make a backup (whole faq is detailed enough, no need to bother anybody)
2- get a bashprompt (whole faq is detailed enough, no need to bother naybody)
3- bypass setup (I believe faq does not cover this, and I have to read the forums, I'm sure I'll manage finding details, but if anybody wants to give pointer, I'll accept them with joy, I'll do my part folks, I'll dig, I know the rules)
4- add channel for composite in (this one is confusing me, as I don't understand what it's supposed to do, are you refering to configuring Tivo to select the right source ? SVIDEO/Composite)
5-Change PAL/SECAM NTSC (not an issue)
6-kill Nagscreens (I believe I'll manage figuring this one out as well, as I know there are tools and posts on this)

Now the question that is still not clear,
Am I letting my Tivo Dial out?
if no, where would I get the guide and fully utilize Tivo,
If yes, wouldn't Tivo know that I'm constantly dialing them and yet i have no subscription.

Thanks again folks, this is a great site

Arthur

Lure
08-29-2001, 06:48 PM
since there is no data available in your country, you can skip the dail in part: it's no use. btw which country is it-)

if you have your terminal program running ( have a bashprompt) do the following to bypass set up.

first make sure you can get a bash prompt via a serial cabel. there is a description of that earlier in this tread.

1 start your terminal program (I use hyperterminal) make sure the serial cabel is connected correctly and the settings are right.

2. reboot your TIVO ( pull the plug and stick it in again)

3. hit "enter" directly when de TIVO logo shows. In the terminal Window it asks now verify:

4. type the password to enter the secret diagnostic mode.... most cases this password is "factory"

5. now tekst rolls in and press "X" to see al menu options.

6. press "P" and change the boor parameters to:
root=/dev/hda7 shondss=true SETUP_BYPASS=1
( it's wise to write down the original boot paramters

7. hit "enter"

8. press "b" to boot

if you don't have a bash prompt yet read section 4.6 at
http://tivo.samba.org/index.cgi?req=all

NEXT
now to get any input: there are serveral scripts "around" I work with one that adds a channel that accepts input thru the composite connectors. I'm sure you need some extra "looking around/reading' for this.

i have no experience with the channel script other than the one I mentioned about: good luck

arthur
08-29-2001, 07:00 PM
Lure,

Country is Canada, and I do get DTV, and want to configure my TIVO for DTV, so without dialing how do I get the guide data and utilize TIVO to it's max?
Is it possible to get this data through Stand Alone DTV unit through some sort of connection and software combination?
or I have no choice but to dial out, in which case what gives?

I suppose this composite input and adding channel bussiness is just to get TIVO working with my input signal because I never did the setup (dial out), am I right?

Thanks again Lure,

Arthur

Lure
08-29-2001, 07:12 PM
well as far as the questions you come up with now...I'm not the one that should answer them. I just don't know enought (Yet) on that subject to give a good answer.

Come on tivo hackers: give him a hand ( make sure to add detailed info so other newbies can profite too)

:D :D

arthur
08-31-2001, 03:30 PM
I can't believe no one can answer these questions?
Is it possible to achjieve what I'm asking for?
Has anybody got it to work as such?

I thought this was the best place to get the answers.
I don't mind doing the leg work, I just need guidance in the right direction.

Arthur

Lure
08-31-2001, 08:04 PM
the fixup script might be of any help... seach the posts here to find it.

arthur
09-02-2001, 01:14 PM
Lure,

I appreciate your responses, you seem to be the only one answering.
The only concern I have with the fixup script is that my unit is stand alone, which means I can only get the guide data from the phone line (unless others who choose to be quiet know other ways of getting the guide data), fixup script will fool TIVO into thinking that I have sub, and I don't need to dial, but if I don't dial I don't get the guide (am I right)

thanks again for your response.

Lure
09-02-2001, 01:28 PM
Arthur wrote
unless others who choose to be quiet know other ways of getting the guide data

You could optain data over the serial port/internet. didn't try it myself, I have no use for the guidedata since I'm outside the service area.

at least you could try to get the scripts that allow you to add channels.

I only added 1 channel: composite in.

It's a bit concerning that others that have already been there are not answering this thread. You can't force people-) but relax: the info is out there somewhere. dig deeper.

:D :D :D

arthur
09-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Thanks a lot lure, you've been very responsive.
I'll dig elsewhere andwill post my findings if I get anywhere.

Thanks again.

Fugg
09-03-2001, 03:35 PM
a standalone tivo with no guide data is just a manual recorder.
...it's kinda brain dead.

if you follow some of the old threads here, it would seem as if some of the posters have figured out hot to collect, parse and load guide data into their tivos. it looks like tridge is doing just that for himself and a few friends down in australia.

most of the "add your own guide data" posts seem to stop just before the "Eureka, I've Got It!!" part...:)

i can see their point in keeping it to themselves, being tivo's livelyhood and all that, but it sure sucks for those who can't subscribe.

maybe someone who's figured it out will help you privately. those who are still working on it openly don't seem to be interested in using dtv data. one would think it would'nt be real hard to have someone pull the data off a directivo and pass it to a standalone user. but, then again, i could be full o' poop...;)

as i know no one with a directivo, i can't be of much help.

good luck!

arthur
09-04-2001, 05:23 PM
Thanks Fugg,

I think you explain it well why no one was responsive other than few kind people.

Now that I know SA is not that much in fashion, I'm kind of regretting the decision of going with SA instead of DirectTivo combo.

maybe I'll sell mine of ebay and go get a combo unit.

On the other hand, I will be looking at all avenues and trying to get this beast to work if at all that is possible.

Tune it later.

Arthur