PDA

View Full Version : Once upgraded to 2.5 no more hacks?

zeppo3000
08-28-2001, 06:08 PM
What's the latest big secret that is being censored over at avs?

** INSTRUCTIONS DELETED ***

http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum6/HTML/007112.html

Glitched
08-28-2001, 10:33 PM
im trying to figure it out to.... from the looks of it though vadim knows whats going on.... ;) care to comment vadim??? :D

Vadim
08-28-2001, 10:54 PM
All I got to say is that AVS sucks and their attitude is very annoying. I wish I knew what was posted, however I beleive he didn't really post anything useful, then I wonder why David edited the post.

The guy who posted has some knowedlge in this field and I think he is from #tivo, the guys there are a little more concerned and stuborn. I'll see what else I can find out.

Please exuse my mis-spelled words, I'm a bit tired.

Gigabit³
08-29-2001, 02:21 PM
The way it's going over there now it looks like all hacks are going to be taboo, even TiVoMAD. I can understand why they'd want to keep things like changing sevice numbers out of general knowledge, but adding space? Some of the people over there even seem to be against telling others how to do various hacks, including adding space. "I'm sure the most savy of us will figure it out, but don't put it in the FAQ so just anybody can do it" they say. :mad: Pretty selfish if you ask me.

Adding space to the unit does nothing to hurt the company, neither does PPP over serial or TiVoNET to get guide data for that matter, so why the heck do they want to make it impossible?

Worf
08-30-2001, 12:47 AM
Unless DirecTV has other plans for the TiVo - like maybe banning all mods and expecting everyont to be satisfied with what's available.

Time will tell to see if UTV will suffer the same fate.

It may turn out the best hackable TiVo would be the TiVo-solely controlled SA TiVo, rather than the DirecTV-controlled DirecTiVos.

bongoherbert
08-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Agreed- I'm sort of happy that I ended up w/ only an SA. Especially seeing as the TivoNet allowed me to rid myself of telephone service. I'm really really hoping that it will remain viable, since I don't -want- home phone service and the tivo would be the only thing that would require it if so.

If some of the potential features of the replay situation end up being real it would make it a no-brainer switch.

Of course, folks w/ tivonet are saving tivo money (which should just thrill the AVS fora crowd) so shooting themselves in the feet to save their toes would be a bit dim.

J Man
08-30-2001, 12:39 PM
I think the subject says it all! The attitude of AVS just PISSES ME OFF!! What country do we live in anyway...China? Sombody must have posted something that got brought to his attention and instead of showing any balls he folds under pressure (good boy...Goooood boy). I guess he does not want to get sued. Hopefully we can find out what got posted and continue the discussion. TiVo issued $50 million of "death sprial" notes to investors. It's not looking good for TiVo...Especially if they close the box.

Lure
08-30-2001, 05:28 PM
there is plenty of software on the market that can do what tivo does, Even I , a second hand programmer have written software in vb that has a lot of the functions that the tivo has. sure, keeping track of al that program data is a different ball game but I'm sure that even that will not be a big deal in the near futher.

I would not like to see tivo disapear but if they lose their bussines becaurse of a wrong market stratagie...you won't see me crying. Companies go down every day.

I still am discontent about some of the return mails I got when they just started marketing...It's already a few years back and they still don't sell to my country. Still don't understand why they are not selling a simple harddisk recorder with out the program data/service

:( :( :(

BLUETOOTH
09-03-2001, 11:33 PM
this is a question that i think is noteworthy. if i use a 1.3 virsion of tivo and make changes to the call back of 'personal viewing habits' and the program updates, will this call for a second change to the script if possible? thanks blue

Lord Magnus
09-04-2001, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Lure

I still am discontent about some of the return mails I got when they just started marketing...It's already a few years back and they still don't sell to my country. Still don't understand why they are not selling a simple harddisk recorder with out the program data/service

:( :( :(

A PVR without the guide would only appeal to certain groups of consumers. Imagine a 40Hr unit that only recorded the date and channel as a label. A consumer would have 30-40 recordings that would be hard to indentify. Most of the people can't set the clock. Sure you could label the recordings through the remote, but who wants to do that.

When someone creates a unit that reads the XDS channel or a directv guide without service, there might be a shake up. Two problems with this. One, XDS is not implemented on all networks, so you are not guarenteed a label. I am not even sure if you have XDS in your neck of the woods anyway. And you can't do furture recordings with one button push. I am extremely technically adept, by my ability to set the date/time for a future recording on a VCR is spotty. Usually I get something wrong. If I get everything right, the power flips in a couple of days and erases all my timers. Two, DirectV probably wouldn't license it because they get a kick back from the current companies.

Bottom line is the guide. You need that feature to make the purchase worthwhile for most comsumers. And the guide must be gotten for free by both the consumer and provider (Or subsidized) to make a mass market item without service profitable.

LM

Lord Magnus
09-04-2001, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Gigabit³

Adding space to the unit does nothing to hurt the company, neither does PPP over serial or TiVoNET to get guide data for that matter, so why the heck do they want to make it impossible?

Adding space could be a potential revenue stream for Tivo in the future. In tivo's perfect world, they could come up with options at a later time, like DVD-R and HD upgrades that only they could provide. By locking us out, they create a service monopoly for these machines. This will work against them as computer history has show that open platforms are more marketable. (i.e. Apple vs PC)

Personally, I find it a little disgusting to use an open source base to create a closed machine.

LM

embeem
09-04-2001, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lord Magnus

When someone creates a unit that reads the XDS channel or a directv guide without service, there might be a shake up.

FYI: you can already access the XDS information from the tivo using a program called tivovbi.

Worf
09-05-2001, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
Two, DirectV probably wouldn't license it because they get a kick back from the current companies.

DirecTV *WILL* license you the guide, just you'll have to make sure to bow to their every whim (like what TiVo has to do to their DirecTiVos (heck, it's not even "theirs", it's DirecTV's)).

If DirecTV says "To continue getting the guide data, you MUST PREVENT ALL HACKS", you have to comply, otherwise it's a simple bit flipping and your hardware is useless (and honestly, if DirecTV cuts off DirecTiVo units, to whom will people be angrier towards - TiVo, or DirecTV?). It also explains why the DirecTiVos can have additional subscriptions for only the small extra cost (a la DirecTV units) like "extra unit". DirecTV dictated that, TiVo complies.