PDA

View Full Version : Possible to capture Now Playing background anim from Tivo Series 2?

scritley
07-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I have used tserver and TyTools to DL and author DVDs from shows downloaded from my Sleepered Tivo SA S2.

However, I would like to create the menu on my Tivo sourced DVDs using the Now Playing animated background from my Tivo SA S2. I realize I would need to use Encore or Ulead or some other tool that can handle advanced menus (ie - with video backgrounds).

However, I've searched high and low and may not be using the correct search terms but I cannot find any reference to where this background animation lives on the Tivo or if anyone has been successful in capturing it in mpeg or ty form (or any other viable video format for that matter).

Do any of you know where/how I can get any of the anims from a Tivo SA S2?

Thanks in advance,
Tivo Rocks!
Scritley

SR712
07-24-2004, 06:13 PM
They are in listed in /MFS/Resource/Videoclip via TivoWeb. You can get a FSID from there. Use mfs_export to extract it somewhere on your TiVo drive. Then FTP it off to your PC. It will be in a ty format. You can use Jdiner's TyTools to convert to mpeg, I believe. Then use a capture utility to grab certain frames. Its been a while since I did this, but it worked. Actually, I used a similar method to put the Series2 animations on my Series 1 T60... they were prettier .... :D

scritley
08-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks SR712,

I was able to find the videoclips just as you stated. The FSIDs listed were for files of 184 bytes.

I'm sure this is a newbie mistake as I didn't think this could be an animated background. But I tried it anyway and it was not recognizable by TyTools after generating the key file. I got the "Key file not a GOP editable file" error message.

I then clicked on the video clip in TivoWeb Plus and found a different file id and it brought down a much larger file. I ftp'd that file to the PC (in binary mode) and again, TyTools did not recognize it after I generated the key file.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is it possible that mfs_export requires multiple FSIDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alldeadhomiez
08-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks SR712,

I was able to find the videoclips just as you stated. The FSIDs listed were for files of 184 bytes.

I'm sure this is a newbie mistake as I didn't think this could be an animated background. But I tried it anyway and it was not recognizable by TyTools after generating the key file. I got the "Key file not a GOP editable file" error message.

I then clicked on the video clip in TivoWeb Plus and found a different file id and it brought down a much larger file. I ftp'd that file to the PC (in binary mode) and again, TyTools did not recognize it after I generated the key file.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Is it possible that mfs_export requires multiple FSIDs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the file contents in a hex editor. Does it look like your other tystreams, or does it look more like you're downloading a binary database object?

SR712
08-09-2004, 09:05 PM
In TivoWeb, looking at the videoclips, here is one listing of mine:

DIRECTV_BluePlusTiVoWriteOn.mpv:2220:2221:1024

DIRECTV_BluePlusTiVoWriteOn.mpv is the filename
2221 is the FSID that you will use to extract with mfs_export
1024 is the filesize in KB, so this file is 1 MB in size.

The command you would use to extract is (assuming mfs_export is somewhere in your path, and you wish to put the file in /temp):

mfs_export 2221 /temp/DIRECTV_BluePlusTiVoWriteOn.mpv

scritley
08-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Okay, mission accomplished, thanks to you Tivo gods.

Originally, I was using the first FSID listed, not the second one as your example states. After I brought down the clips using the correct FSIDs, I did some reading on mpv's and used TMPGEnc to create the usable movie clip for the menu background.

I very much appreciate your patience with my questions. I will repay your kindness to another newbie some day in your honor.

Thanks again.