PDA

View Full Version : Just a Question??

TomP
07-25-2004, 01:42 PM
What is an *.mfs file? I haven't hear of this one or came across it before.
TomP

lenroc
07-25-2004, 03:54 PM
The first result on a google web search for "mfs extension" pulled up a thread on this very forum...

Searching in general is a better and faster way to find information :)

TomP
07-25-2004, 04:44 PM
If you can't answer the question, Don't reply!!
TomP

NutKase
07-25-2004, 05:57 PM
If you can't answer the question, Don't reply!!
TomP

He did answer the question. Search. We get tired of searching for people.

That said, .mfs is the same as .bak

It's simply an extension recommended in some guides for your backup which is produced by mfsbackup.

Have you hacked a tivo yet? If so you probably used Hinsdale and the extension there is .bak. .mfs is the same.

NutKase

[EDIT]
I see by searching through a couple of your posts that you have used Hinsdale's guide... You killed your drive by using qunlock on it even though the guide says that you should never use it unless the drive is locked. I've never had a locked drive and think that only early Quantum drives were locked. You should slow down and read a lot more or you're going to have a heck of a time hacking your tivo. Good Luck.

lenroc
07-25-2004, 05:58 PM
I can answer the question.

I chose not to because you stand to learn something about self sufficiency if you search for this yourself.

It's probably the simplest thing you'll ever have to search for.

TomP
07-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Will try to do better next time.
Sorry but I don't think I ask anyone to "Search" anything for me. I can do that myself and have. You just failed to ask.
It would taken less typing to just say they are the same than the sarcastic remarks.
That is why this nation is in so much trouble now is, no one wants to help their fellow man! They are just to dammed selfish and self centered!
Matter Closed!!
TomP

PlainBill
07-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Will try to do better next time.
Sorry but I don't think I ask anyone to "Search" anything for me. I can do that myself and have. You just failed to ask.
It would taken less typing to just say they are the same than the sarcastic remarks.
That is why this nation is in so much trouble now is, no one wants to help their fellow man! They are just to dammed selfish and self centered!
Matter Closed!!
TomP

Actually, we are quite willing to help, but first you must be willing to help yourself. As far as self-centered and selfish, look in a mirror before pointing fingers.

PlainBill

TomP
07-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Plainbill:
If your so willing to help, wheres the answer? Thanks to NutKase
Senior Member, he answered the simple question for you.
As for as pointing fingers, I'm not, Just facts!!
You want to get into a pissing contest, we will!!
TomP

NutKase
07-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Plainbill:
TomP

You're welcome for the thanks, BUT, I did preface my answer with
He did answer the question. Search. We get tired of searching for people.

You're totally in the wrong and are about to alienate several people here who've helped many - me included.

I also pointed out that you have a history of not reading/searching/understanding... clearly indicated by you locking your drive with qunlock.

Your attitude is poor.

I haven't placed you on my ignore list (there's never been anyone on it) just in case you change it(attitude) and realize that this is give and take.

Most just want to take, i.e., get an answer or link handed to them and it gets very old.

What you don't realize is that your question is so basic that it indicates that you did not even look for the answer yourself or are not letting basic information in. You're lucky you got an answer at all.

NutKase

mrblack51
07-25-2004, 09:13 PM

teaching a man to fish always takes longer than giving him a fish

SR712
07-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Speak to us of Wood, a carpenter said.
The Master then replied:
From a mighty Cypress tree, man can build a ship and sail to distant lands to meet men of many philosophies.

From such a tree man could erect a temple, a prison, an altar or a funeral pyre.
Yes, man has built many things in his time on this earth.

But there is one thing no man has ever built.

What is that? the carpenter inquired.

Man has never really built a decent chicken :D

PlainBill
07-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Speak to us of Wood, a carpenter said.
The Master then replied:
From a mighty Cypress tree, man can build a ship and sail to distant lands to meet men of many philosophies.

From such a tree man could erect a temple, a prison, an altar or a funeral pyre.
Yes, man has built many things in his time on this earth.

But there is one thing no man has ever built.

What is that? the carpenter inquired.

Man has never really built a decent chicken :D

Thank you, Oh Wise One!!

And of course, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

PlainBill

PlainBill
07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
Plainbill:
TomP

TomP,

You already have BOTH answers. Keep your 'attitude' and the thread will wind up in the sewer.

PlainBill

ccipher
07-25-2004, 11:48 PM
But SR712, he has created a decent wooden chicken!

http://www.balifurnish.com/bali-wooden-birds-rooster-hen-chicken.html

(And, evidentially, competition is so fierce that price matching is GUARANTEED!) :D

NutKase
07-26-2004, 12:41 AM
TomP,

You already have BOTH answers. Keep your 'attitude' and the thread will wind up in the sewer.

PlainBill

Not quite sure what you meant my BOTH? Anyway, at least the responders here are on the same sheet :).

On another note, If we continually move threads created by folks like this to the sewer how can anyone learn how to get what they want out of this forum?

Probably not many people who need help read the 'sewer' and can't learn how NOT to act.

NutKase

AVD
07-26-2004, 12:48 AM
don't question the actions of moderators, not worth it.

Its real cold in the penalty box.

mrblack51
07-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Not quite sure what you meant my BOTH? Anyway, at least the responders here are on the same sheet :).

On another note, If we continually move threads created by folks like this to the sewer how can anyone learn how to get what they want out of this forum?

Probably not many people who need help read the 'sewer' and can't learn how NOT to act.

NutKase

thats the whole point of the sewer - come here to see how not to post. of course newbies wont read this naturally. perhaps a sticky with some basic info, including links to posts which arent kosher might be in order.

NutKase
07-26-2004, 05:48 AM
thats the whole point of the sewer - come here to see how not to post. of course newbies wont read this naturally. perhaps a sticky with some basic info, including links to posts which arent kosher might be in order.

Yeah, I guess that's what I had in mind.

NutKase

bigwater
10-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Probably not many people who need help read the 'sewer' and can't learn how NOT to act.NutKase

I'm a total newbie when it comes to TiVo... been into it all of about a week, and fairly new to linux as well, so I'm about as confused as I can get. I've read, read, read, and intend to continue to read until I figure out how to do what I want to do.

Back in the early days of hacking <subject not allowed to be talked about here>, I was in the same boat, and learned what questions were acceptable to be asked, and which ones required flameproof attire. I eventually learned enough that I started writing my own code and eventually became a guru on the subject. It wasn't done without the help of people who knew a lot more than me, however, but I eventually caught on as to how to get the help.

Stupid questions, seemingly selfish questions and questions that perhaps weren't thoroughly thought out will always be asked, especially by people who aren't familiar with the way these communities work. Semi-polite responses such as "READ DUMB*#$" generally get the point across. Attitude from the original poster never lends itself to help.

What I have noticed while trying to find out how to do what I want to do is that there is a noticable lack of faq's on the subject at hand. For example, if I want to enable usb and ethernet, enable downloading guide info from the web, enable transfer of files to the pc, enable the ability to update files on the tivo from the network, set the tcpip addy on the tivo, etc, I can ususally find the information with enough digging, but I find files, and very few instructions on how it works, when to use it, and in what order to implement it. Some simple questions I have been unable to find answers for at all, such as if I'm able to enable downloading guide data from the web and get recording to work, do I still need a phone line? If I hack my tivo and choose to still sub to tivo's service are they going to be able to tell and will i get in trouble (sued under DCMA)? These questions don't seem to be answered. It would be nice if some of the guru's on the subject of Tivo hacking would put together a basic faq that would answer the newbies questions before they're asked... questions that a guru would probably think nobody would ask in the first place. That's what we did with hacking <subject not allowed to be discussed here> and it cleared most of the dumb@$$ questions out. It was also hugely appreciated by the <subject not allowed to be discussed here> community, and spurred many people to become gurus themselves.

That said, I'm off to the sewer to read the newbie posts... who knows, maybe I'll find something helpful in there :)

bigwater
10-20-2004, 11:49 AM
One other thought that I have on my previous rant is a wish that the moderators could keep in mind the "freshness" of threads. In my week of perusing this forum, I've caught myself heading down a path that appeared to be where I wanted to go, only to figure out after hours of studying the info that the info was no longer valid. Wouldn't it be appropriate to keep, say, only the last six months worth of advice as opposed to four years? I know this hobby moves at least as fast as <the subject not allowed to be discussed here>, and six months is old news... four years is useless for anybody, and only confuses newbies like me.

Just a suggestion to keep the stupid questions (and database size) down.

captain_video
10-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Your points are noted and have been an ongoing issue in these forums for quite some time. The main problem is that it's very difficult for anyone to pool all of the info in one place and keep it up to date. Any FAQ tends to become outdated almost immediately after it's posted due to the rapid changes that occur, especially with the recent flurry of OS updates being released by DTV and Tivo.

The one thing that newbies have to realize is that they can't learn to hack a Tivo overnight but many of them come here with just that expectation and become quickly frustrated when reality kicks in. If you want to hack a Tivo then be prepared to do a lot of reading. I'm talking about over a span of weeks or even months and not just a few days. Here's a link to a thread I started a while back to help point newbies in the right direction but it's already a bit dated in some areas:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37058

I believe there is at least one error in the discussion about video extraction where it says that there is currently no method of using TivowebPlus for extraction. AFAIK there has been a module developed for use with TivowebPlus that does allow for video extraction but I've never investigated it fully to confirm it.

buckeye1010
10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Bigwater - I'm what the regs would call a newbie, as well. But I'm a fast (but careful) learner - and I got alot of successful hacking done to my tivo in the last month (but can't seem to get the wife to understand how cool it is!). But getting to my point, I have found some of the best information included in the zipped/tard install files, in the READMEs and what not. But yeah, I agree with your statements about finding info and finding old info. I think it's directly proportional to the actual low numbers of people actually doing this kind of thing. But the mystery kinda makes it cool, once you figure it out!

bigwater
10-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Believe me, changes moved at light speed in that "other" hacking venue as well. What worked for us was that we had three or four dedicated individuals who put the faq's together... some worked on the same faq's, and all generated their individual faq's. These faq's were contributed to by all of the senior individuals of the group so that they were kept up to date as close to real time as possible. Believe me, the newbie questions were sailing all overr the place, especially after events like black sunday, but we were usually able to point people to a concise, and for the most part, accurate faq that eliminated tons of traffic. It's less work to keep a faq updated, even considering the speed at which this technology changes, than it is to read/respond/flame/ignore every newbie post that hits the board. Take my word for it.

BTW Captain Video... nice faq, but it needs to be a little more prominently offered. I had not found this until you posted the link to it in response to my rant.

alldeadhomiez
10-20-2004, 04:19 PM
It's less work to keep a faq updated, even considering the speed at which this technology changes, than it is to read/respond/flame/ignore every newbie post that hits the board. Take my word for it.

If that's an offer, we're happy to have your assistance. In fact a few people have already worked on the alt.org wiki; feel free to pick up where they left off. Or start your FAQ here.

If not, well, I guess we're back to square one: a big job to do and no volunteers.

bigwater
10-20-2004, 04:25 PM
If that's an offer, we're happy to have your assistance. In fact a few people have already worked on the alt.org wiki; feel free to pick up where they left off. Or start your FAQ here.

If not, well, I guess we're back to square one: a big job to do and no volunteers.

Believe me, I'd be very happy to contribute to this task... if I had the knowledge to contribute. Perhaps one day I will be as knowledgeable in this area as I am/was in other areas where I did spend a lot of time keeping faq's up to date. Unfortunately, I am very green in this particular subject and have way too much learning to do to start teaching at this point. Take my word for it though, as I learn you'll hear more and more from me.

NutKase
10-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Believe me, I'd be very happy to contribute to this task... if I had the knowledge to contribute. Perhaps one day I will be as knowledgeable in this area as I am/was in other areas where I did spend a lot of time keeping faq's up to date. Unfortunately, I am very green in this particular subject and have way too much learning to do to start teaching at this point. Take my word for it though, as I learn you'll hear more and more from me.

Nice post and attitude, welcome to ddb! :)

NutKase

mrblack51
10-20-2004, 10:04 PM

thats a great attitude, and i hope you can contribute soon. however, we have heard this mantra before. generally, those who have said these sorts of things learn waht they have to, then disappear because their interests change. lets hope that you break that mold.

captain_video
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
BTW Captain Video... nice faq, but it needs to be a little more prominently offered. I had not found this until you posted the link to it in response to my rant.
Thanks. I can post in the forums but I don't have the authority to make it a sticky. If the mods feel it is worthy they will do so. I usually provide the link in a thread when I see someone that could benefit from it.

bigwater
10-21-2004, 10:13 AM
thats a great attitude, and i hope you can contribute soon. however, we have heard this mantra before. generally, those who have said these sorts of things learn waht they have to, then disappear because their interests change. lets hope that you break that mold.

If I may, with respect, suggest that your post should have ended with the word "soon". Everything starting with, and beyond "however" did nothing but add negativity to an otherwise positive thread.

I can understand the pessimism that comes with years of dealing with the same old questions... I've done it myself, and I've scoured this board enough to have formulated an opinion that a lot of the mods and old timers are simply burnt out from in-fighting (egos) and from dealing with newbies.

It sort of reminds me of going to the VFW club a few times and watching a bunch of 60-70 yr old guys sitting around, smoking cigars, drinking beer, and talking about the war. Ranting and raving about the past, hating the present and not even considering the future.

As a long time hand in various online activities, I can state without doubt that new meat often becomes the backbone of the organization. Derisive comments, while subtle and probably un-intended, still undermine the potential of the board, and becomes a self fullfilling prophecy ("learn what they have to, then dissappear").

JMHO,

r..