PDA

View Full Version : Using TiVo for manual record only

superzap
08-29-2001, 07:54 PM
I have a new S/A TiVo with 1.3 software that I want to use the trick play functions and occasionally as a manual recorder only. The input will be DirecTV. I have other subscribed TiVos, but this one I want to try to use unsubscribed. I also for now would not like to open the case if possible. I know how to get bash from the shondss=true method and guided setup has not been run yet. I've heard there is a method with 1.3 software to set the clock with backdoors?

How can I run guided setup one time to get the channel mapping and prevent the unit from downloading and installing 2.0.1 software? If I can keep the 1.3 software I might want to run the fixup script to prevent the nags in the future, but that can wait.

What happens if I set the boot parms:
root=/dev/hda7 shondss=true SETUP_BYPASS=1
does this allow the unit to view any channels and use trick play features?

Lure
08-30-2001, 08:59 AM
If you never dialed in and just set the boot parms the following will happen.

the tivo boots to the menu screen: It doesn't ask you to dail in anymore, doesn't show the option menu to run in demomode etc.
swithing to the different menuchoices will result in a nagscreen or reboot.

You will not have any channels, not even one to record from the composite connectors...

:D :D

synthesis
08-30-2001, 12:54 PM
i was in the same situation- ran guided setup, DIDN'T get the 2.01 update (i understand now the updates don't occur 'til the 3rd call), got into bash, ran fixup and everything is good!

so go ahead and do the guided setup- you shouldn't have a problem and it will add your channels.