PDA

View Full Version : UltimateTV Extraction Help Please!

92GTA
07-29-2004, 12:09 AM
The more I search the more TiVo stuff I find but no UltimateTV stuff :(

I'm looking to able to get the save recordings off my UTV onto my PC so I can edit them, remove commercials, and burn the final cut to DVD.

I found a file called dvr.exe but in that post no one knew of a decoder for the video once it was on the PC.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Alex

fixn278
07-29-2004, 12:16 AM
According to all the info in the UTV forum, it is not currently possible.

92GTA
07-29-2004, 12:20 AM
That's kinda what I got from reading too.

My main concern is that if the extracted files are good. I mean I don't ever want to loose these recordings I've got from 4 years of history and I'm worried that when a decoder is made/found there might be a problem using the files made using the dvr.exe app. For all I know the problem is dvr.exe doesn't extract the files correctly and that's the problem, I don't know.

If someone can assure me that the files made using dvr.exe are perfect 100% copies of what's on the UTV drive, then I will do it and just store them until a decoder is found...

Oh and where do I read on how exactly to correctly hook up the UTV drive to my PC for doing this and "unlocking" it or anything else I may need to do?

fixn278
07-29-2004, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure that anyone can ensure that they are exact copies as the ability to test them does not yet exist.

As far as unlocking the drive, I don't know which thread exactly, but the info is definitely in the UTV forum. Keep in mind, no process is perfect and every time you move the drive you risk losing all of your data. If the shows are that important to you, I suggest stocking up on blank VCR tapes or get a video capture card and an extra drive.

rc3105
07-29-2004, 01:47 PM
once the utv drive is unlocked (hot swapping, master password util, whatever) the linux command

dd if=/dev/hdx of=drive_image.dd

will create a byte for byte copy (where hdx is the utv drive)

converting utv files isn't that difficult, there's plenty of dish/hd/tivo -> mpg code that can be adapted

hire a teenage geek or some cs major able to convince his professor to let him do the project for a grade

OR

hold your breath waiting for somebody to publicly release a util that's sure to attract the wrath of DTV, Microsoft, the RIAA and hollywood...

ronnythunder
07-29-2004, 03:11 PM
hold your breath waiting for somebody to publicly release a util that's sure to attract the wrath of DTV, Microsoft, the RIAA and hollywood...??? like what's happened with the tivo stuff? :)

and there's how many more tivos than utvs?

ronny

92GTA
07-29-2004, 11:53 PM
once the utv drive is unlocked (hot swapping, master password util, whatever) the linux command

dd if=/dev/hdx of=drive_image.dd

will create a byte for byte copy (where hdx is the utv drive)

Ok, I know how to turn on the UTV, swap the ata cable, it shows up and drive F on my PC, then what? I think that would be "hd4" right? I have a master HD with 3 Windows OS partitions and a linux ext3 partition with a linux swap partition too. The UTV boots as my slave HD according to my BIOS screen. Where/how do I use that linux command you are referring to? I'm running XP Pro...

Thanks!

rc3105
07-31-2004, 01:02 AM
??? like what's happened with the tivo stuff? :)

and there's how many more tivos than utvs?

ronny
do you know anybody that's had to deal with that type legal crap regarding a tivo util or someone innocent that settled with dtv because it was cheaper than court costs?

I do :(

92GTA:

dd is a *nix command that can read data from a raw device. under *nix the slave position on the primary ide controller is /dev/hdb. you'll need cygwin to use dd under windows. alternatly, utils like ghost & some of the hexeditors can dump a device to a file

fyi: utv->mpg produces dtv flavored mpg that doesn't work very well in many dvd players (variable compression, weird field ordering, goofy packet headers)

your current choices are:

archive & hope

get friendly with a geek

use some sort of vidcap (sony camcorder as passthrough s-video->dv converter works GREAT)