PDA

View Full Version : Sound from only right channel with transcoding #7?

erikk
07-30-2004, 01:00 AM
OK so I admit I'm fairly newb in all this and this might be discussed somewhere, but I spent 30 minutes reading all the threads I could find with the search tools and nowhere did I find something about this (though I also admit I might be a search ***** and its easy to find).

I am using tyTools 9r15a and extracting from a S1 SA. I encoded with Option #5 (DVD 48@192) and got no audio on my Pioneer DV-45a (worked fine in computer DVD player) so I tried Option 7. (granted I tried option 5 on 9r14 but I presume it would have the same problem with 9r15; but correct me if I'm wrong) Now I get audio but its only from the right front channel and it appears to be mono. Also I VOB-Muxed with the "VOB-Mux (New Format) 1" setting; can this be the problem?

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Or how I should be setting things to get the correct audio on my DVD player?

Also when does audio transcoding occur? I have heard conflicting opinions on that. I've seen people say it happens at extraction from the TiVo and others that said it happens when you VOB-Mux. It seems to me that it would make more sense to be occurring at the VOB-Mux stage but then like I said I'm a relative newb at this. The reason I ask is that I'd run through every iteration of possible combinations (option 4, 5, 6, 7, etc) but if its happening at the extraction point that would take FOREVER.

Thanks in advance for any help.

malfunct
07-30-2004, 01:01 AM
OK so I admit I'm fairly newb in all this and this might be discussed somewhere, but I spent 30 minutes reading all the threads I could find with the search tools and nowhere did I find something about this (though I also admit I might be a search ***** and its easy to find).

I am using tyTools 9r15a and extracting from a S1 SA. I encoded with Option #5 (DVD 48@192) and got no audio on my Pioneer DV-45a (worked fine in computer DVD player) so I tried Option 7. (granted I tried option 5 on 9r14 but I presume it would have the same problem with 9r15; but correct me if I'm wrong) Now I get audio but its only from the right front channel and it appears to be mono. Also I VOB-Muxed with the "VOB-Mux (New Format) 1" setting; can this be the problem?

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? Or how I should be setting things to get the correct audio on my DVD player?

Also when does audio transcoding occur? I have heard conflicting opinions on that. I've seen people say it happens at extraction from the TiVo and others that said it happens when you VOB-Mux. It seems to me that it would make more sense to be occurring at the VOB-Mux stage but then like I said I'm a relative newb at this.

Happens at Vob-Mux unless you are doing "multiplex" extraction which is really just compbining extraction with multiplex (non-vob) in one step without having intermediate files.

erikk
07-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Well at least that makes it a little easier to try all the possible combinations. I'm going to try all the different VOB-Mux formats and all the different audio options but I'm hoping someone sees this who knows what the problem might be before I have to go through all of them.

malfunct
07-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Well at least that makes it a little easier to try all the possible combinations. I'm going to try all the different VOB-Mux formats and all the different audio options but I'm hoping someone sees this who knows what the problem might be before I have to go through all of them.

Do us a favor and get the tyshow codec installed along with an mpeg2 codec and try playing the .ty file. Should play in any directshow player. That will let us know if the original .ty is ok.

erikk
07-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Motherbleeper. The ty is only playing out of the right channel on my computer. What on earth could cause that? I don't know if this is just on one ty or all of them. I'll have to research that.

And is there any way to put the audio into both left and right channels? I mean I know it won't be stereo but at least it'll be mono out of more than one channel.

erikk
07-30-2004, 01:59 AM
OK I'm the schmuck. I decided to check the wiring in my AV closet and it looks like at some point the wire on the left channel of my cable box came loose. Thanks Malfunct, checking the Ty definitely made my life infinitely easier. I can't imagine how much trouble shooting I'd have gone through before figuring that one out.

FYI, if anyone was wondering how on earth I could miss that in regular listening, right now I am only playing my tivo through a crappy TV in my kitchen/family room while I wait for my new Samsung DLP TV for the living room. I checked the DVD I made in my media room on my projector since the its the only place I have a DVD player hooked up right now (and I never watch TiVo on my projector).