PDA

View Full Version : Problem with tserver_mfs7

dilon
08-03-2004, 12:44 AM
I upgraded my Sony Series 1 to two large hard disks, about a year ago. Everything has been running fine.

I decided to upgrade to TivoWebPlus V1.0. I got that running fine.

Then I decided to tinker with TyTools, so I FTP'd tserver_mfs7 and NowShowing.tcl to /var/hack/bin. I was able to launch tserver_mfs7 from a telnet session, then use TyTools on my PC with success.

So I decided to add tserver_mfs7 to my startup. First I ran:

mount -o remount,rw /

Then I ran joe to edit rc.sysinit.author. I added this line to the bottom:

/var/hack/bin/tserver_mfs7 -s/var/hack/bin/NowShowing.tcl

Then I saved rc.sysinit.author and issued the reboot command.

I'm not sure if it matters, but prior to issuing the reboot command, I forgot to run:

mount -o remount,ro /

Tivo starts fine and seems to work, and I can get to TivoWebPlus and use the functions there.

However, since that last restart, I can no longer connect to my Tivo via Telnet or FTP. However, TyTools can run from my WinXP machine and pull files from the Tivo.

I get the impression that tserver_mfs7 loaded - but then the script must have halted - and perhaps that caused telnet or my ftp server from starting on the Tivo. Does that sound possible?

I have tried going into diagnostic mode via my serial port on my notebook, attached to the IR port on the Tivo - then I tried editing the boot parameters from "root=/dev/hda4" to "root=/dev/hda4 shondss=true", so I could get the Bash mode via serial. However, after hitting B to continue the boot, the last thing I see in the Hyperterminal window is:

->b
Loading boot image from partition 3
Loaded successfully ...
Entry point at 0x80010000 ...
IDEprom: jump to boot_entry (0x80010000)
Boot jump to 0x80010000, params=root=/dev/hda4 shondss=true

Hitting ENTER or CTRL-C, etc - doesn't give me anything - and I was hoping for a bash prompt.

But like I said my Tivo does seem to boot.

Any suggestions on how I can get my Telnet and FTP running again??

Thanks!

malfunct
08-03-2004, 11:07 AM
This is easy, you are loading tserver in foreground mode before telnet starts. This means the rc.sysinit.author executes until it gets to the tserver line, then it calls tserver and waits for it to exit (it doesn't) and never gets to the lines for telnet and stuff.

You will need to connect through serial (or pull the drive) and add a space and an & to the end of the tserver line. This indicates that the program should be run in background mode and the script will not wait for it to exit before it goes on to the next line in the script.

philhu
08-03-2004, 12:44 PM
This is easy, you are loading tserver in foreground mode before telnet starts. This means the rc.sysinit.author executes until it gets to the tserver line, then it calls tserver and waits for it to exit (it doesn't) and never gets to the lines for telnet and stuff.

You will need to connect through serial (or pull the drive) and add a space and an & to the end of the tserver line. This indicates that the program should be run in background mode and the script will not wait for it to exit before it goes on to the next line in the script.

And NEVER put anything above a working telnet/ftp line!!!!

So at least that runs before it stops....

NutKase
08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
And NEVER put anything above a working telnet/ftp line!!!!

So at least that runs before it stops....

Which is exactly why I've been recommending that a 'working telnet and ftp line" be moved all the way to the top (as in the last 2 lines of rc.sysinit).

This way they're executed before all the other hacks and you don't risk editing a file and forgetting something that causes you to pull your drive. :)

NutKase

dilon
08-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Malfunct and everyone else - thanks for your replies!

But the next question is how do I correctly get to a Bash prompt via the serial? I mentioned the steps I'm taking (I think?) - but I'm stil not getting a bash prompt.

dilon
08-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi guys...

I decided to use Dylan's Boot Disk to boot from my floppy.

My two 120GB Tivo drives are connected to Primary Master and Secondary Master.

I've logged in as root, but my problem is I can't figure out what combination of mount /etc/hdX4 /mnt to use - as in what the X should be?

Depending on what I try, I'm either getting errors about I need to specify the file type, or crap about DOS.

Please help!

dilon
08-05-2004, 01:14 AM
It's me again...

I figured out the latest snafu...

I had to move the 2 drives from the primary IDE to the secondary IDE port on the motherboard. Somewhere I read that was a requirement.

After doing that, I was able to boot to Dylan's boot disk, then I mounted the correct partition and edited the rc.sysinit.author file.

All fixed! I can now telnet and ftp again.

Whew!

Now if I only understood how to move the telnet and ftp startup to the top of that rc.sysinit file?