PDA

View Full Version : reencoding mpg file generated from tytools

robr
08-03-2004, 12:01 PM
i find that an hour program after editing commercials takes up about 900meg after using tytools to pull down the video and convert it. i'm wondering what the best program is to use to get this down to fit on one CD as an SVCD or split it to 2 cds. i tried nero, but the reencoding takes almost 2 hours on my 2.8GHz system with 512meg.

forecast8
08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
i find that an hour program after editing commercials takes up about 900meg after using tytools to pull down the video and convert it. i'm wondering what the best program is to use to get this down to fit on one CD as an SVCD or split it to 2 cds. i tried nero, but the reencoding takes almost 2 hours on my 2.8GHz system with 512meg.

change your tivo recording settings so that the ty files are about 700 MB after cutting commericals. (Or better yet set the tivo so that the mpegs you create are within the SVCD spec) use tivoweb to do this. This assumes you are using a SA tivo of course since the DTV can control its encoding rate.

robr
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
thanks, but i should have specified im using a directivo, thus no control over the bitrates.

FredThompson
08-18-2004, 09:59 PM
You can try the current release of DVDShrink. You could also go with DGFix and something like DVD2SVCD.

However, DVD burners are typically $50 through the rebate specials at the various office stores and DVDR media is around $0.50 perpiece. At some point, probably by the end of this year, DVD burners will be almost free, as will the media. Why put all that time into make SVCDs only to move things to DVDR in the future?