PDA

View Full Version : Creating DVD with Ulead and/or TMPGEnc?

Gaucho
08-04-2004, 01:58 AM
OK, I tried doing my homework, I had so many different threads open, my head is still spinning (and hurting). Many of the threads I was reading originated in 2002, and I know a lot has changed since then.

So, I have a DTivo Series 1, have added a Cachecard (and a larger Hard Drive), I've installed ty studio (but I can install ty tools if this whole thing gets easier), and obviously I want to create a DVD.

I did create a DVD, but the way I did it is probably wrong and too time-consuming: I extracted the ty stream and then converted it to DVD / No transcoding, so I ended up with a .mpg file.
I guess my mistake was to input this file into Ulead VideoStudio 7, and I had it re-encoded from 480x480 to 720x480, and it forced a vbr change. So, not only did it take a couple of hours to re-encode, the file ended up being larger, and the result was a very "choppy/jumpy/****y" video on my DVD. (I did end up with a DVD though... :) )

Now, I've seen many threads here talking about converting the ty streams to "Elemental Streams", later fooling these authoring programs into believing that the resolution is 352x480 instead of 480x480, using DVD Patcher to make changes to the header, etc. A lot of these threads are a year or so old, so I'm not sure if this is the accepted procedure or not.

So, can somebody point me in the right direction, give me some hints on what I'm doing wrong, and what I should be doing instead?

Like I said, I have ty studio, but I've seen people use ty tool, and I can use that instead.
I own Ulead VideoStudio 7 which I like (or rather, I'm used to it), and I also have TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, which I have no experience using, but I can probably learn.
I don't have DVD Patcher, and I would prefer not to buy another expensive piece of software...

I REALLY tried doing my homework before posting, but I swear, at one moment I had like 9 threads open at the same time, some of them dating back to Feb. 2002, and I started getting a migrane! Thank you for any help! -Gaucho

captain_video
08-04-2004, 08:28 AM
I haven't used Video Studio but I have used DVD Workshop and DVD Movie Factory. I believe all of the Ulead programs require the same changes to be made to a ty file for it to work. First of all, you shouldn't have to create elemental streams for importing the ty file. Edit the ty file using TyTools (forget about TyStudio as it is extremely buggy and hasn't been supported for quite some time) and then mux it to an mpeg file. I believe there's an option in one of the menus that provides a fix for Ulead products so make sure it's checked off. Download DVDPatcher (it's free) and patch the first header to 352X480@3.5MBits. You should now be able to import the file with little or no problems.

The Ulead programs don't always like edited ty files so if the compile process terminates prematurely it could be due to a cut point that the program doesn't like. You'll have to determine wheer it occurred and then re-edit the file with a different cut point and try again. I stopped using the Ulead programs in favor of DVD-Lab as it does not have any of these quirks and also accepts the 480X480 resolution mpegs from a DTivo with no patching of the headers.

FYI, when, and if, you have successfully compiled the DVD fileset, you will need to go back and repatch ALL of the headers in the VOB files back to their original resolution and bitrate. For a DTivo it will be 480X480 @15MBits. If you're using SA Tivo ty files you'll have to note the resolution before you patch the files so you know what to change it back to when you're done. Once you've finished repatching the files you can burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders to a DVD.

Gaucho
08-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Thank you Cap. Video!!

So, let me see if I understand (and if somebody has tried it this way, let me know):

1) Convert .ty stream to DVD mpeg with tytools (with some option to handle Ulead programs)
2) Run DVDPatcher to change the first frame to 352x480, and vbr to 3.5K (?)
3) Run Ulead with this mpeg file (with first frame converted), and create menus and everything, and create .vob files (not burning dvd yet).
4) Use DVDPatcher again to convert first frame back to 480x480 and vbr to 15k
5) Burn dvd with Nero or something similar.

Will this work? Has anybody tried burning DTivo streams to DVD this way? Once again, thank you for your help!! --Gaucho

captain_video
08-04-2004, 09:18 PM
1. The Ulead option is under Options -> MUX -> Ulead Tools Fix
2. The first header is patched to 352X480 at a bitrate of 3.5MBits
3. Yep
4. If you have more than one video clip in the DVD fileset then you'll need to patch every header, not just the first one. This is because you won't know where the first header is located for each additional clip in the compilation. If you only have a single clip then you only need to repatch the first header.
5. You got it.

I have used this technique quite extensively and, although it does work, it can be somewhat frustrating to get it working the first time, every time. This is why I switched over to DVD-Lab. The Ulead apps are nice but they're not designed to work with the oddball resolution mpegs created from a ty file. You can get the files to import but sometimes you have to jump through many different hoops before the process goes smoothly.

Gaucho
08-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Has anybody used the method described above, with Adobe Encore? I might have access to a copy of Encore, but never learned how to use it.

Thank you very much Capt. Video!!

TexARC
08-05-2004, 11:25 AM
This is why I switched over to DVD-Lab.

Can Nero Burning 6.x do what the DVD-Lab (and ulead) does, and is it "as good" as?

rayshean
08-19-2004, 12:21 PM
I've searched the message board extensively, and have tried the procedure above as I understand it, but the output from DVD Workshop 2.0 remains "jumpy".

I do the following:
1. Transfer the .ty file to my PC with the latest version of Tytools
2. Create and edit Key file
3. Enable Ulead tools fix, and mux to an mpg (tried old format and new format with same result)
4. Patch the first header to 352x480 @ 3.5k with DVD Patcher
5. Import into DVD Workshop 2.0, process to create menu.
6. Finish process to make DVD Folders (have differing levels of recording quality; it appears that the last option (extended - 120 minutes per DVD) is the only one that does not show output as 720x480).
7. Use DVD Patcher to patch all VOBs to 480x480 @ 15K.

Everything seems to go well, and it is fairly fast on the "Extended " quality setting so I'm sure it is not re-encoding. Before patching all headers, DVD Patcher says the output VOBs are 352x480 @ 3.5K. Afterwards, they are 480x480 @ 15k.

Then I play my output using PowerDVD to test, and the video is very ****y every few seconds (like some frames are missing). I record to a DVD and play it on my home theater, same result.

When I use DVD-Lab to do the process, everything works fine and PowerDVd plays the output without a hitch, as well as the home theater.

Am I doing something wrong? Captain Video has gotten DVD Workshop to work before with this process, but I must be missing something. What output quality is the best one to output the DVD files (there are 7 to pick from)? I would like to get DVD Workshop 2.0 to work if I can. Please help. Thanks!

wkozun
08-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Getting back to first principles, if your goal is just to make a DVD as simply as possible then just use TyTool for everything(it does everything except burning), why bother with Ulead DVD studio?

How do you do that?
Download Ty
Create key files and edit (if desired to get rid of commercials, etc.)
VOB-Mux
Create IFOs
Burn with Nero

Beaker
08-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm interested in making a DVD without reencoding the stream, if possible. I have TyTools, but can you explain how I can make a DVD using only TyTools (and a burning program like Nero)?

thanks!

Beaker
08-20-2004, 05:52 PM
wkozun? anyone? :)

n00bie needs help here! hehe

eastwind
08-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm interested in making a DVD without reencoding the stream, if possible. I have TyTools, but can you explain how I can make a DVD using only TyTools (and a burning program like Nero)?

thanks!
You already have the answers. Try reading the faq section (http://www.tytool.com/TyTemplates/FAQ/Usage/default.aspx#_How_do_I_6) and the TyTool-Dvd and Menu.doc file in the TyTool install directory.

ew

wkozun
08-20-2004, 09:54 PM

thanks!

You don't have to re-encode with TyTools.

Get the file(s) with TyTools.
Select Make Key Files.
Select Edit Key files and select the start and stop for parts that you want to edit out.
Click on VOB-Mux files.
Click on Create IFOs.
When this is done you will have a directory called VIDEO_TS with a bunch of files in it.
Start Nero and select New and the type is DVD-Video.
Select the files that TyTools created in the VIDEO_TS directory and copy these files into the VIDEO_TS directory of the DVD.
Burn.

There is more detail in the docs mentioned in the previous post.

w2kr
08-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Check out this guide for making DVDs, http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html

Beaker
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
thanks eveyone!