PDA

View Full Version : Other Remotes?

pir8matt
08-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Hi there everyone. I just bought an open box philips 20-hour Tivo. I know a good bit about them already, but this one has no remote. Does anyone know what universal remotes will work with them, or if a 'learning' remote could pick up the codes from a store's floor demo? Or am I stuck buying one from philips website?

Thanks for any help!

-Matt

GoneSilent
08-30-2001, 04:46 PM
just about any remote these days is around 30-20 bucks for a good one. If you want the other features of a learning remote go for it. If you want a default remote get the stock unit. I use a Pronto Pro. Nice big color lcd screen that allows me to have items such as pussy.gif for the hot network. How I love this remote. For a great site with reviews check out http://www.remotecentral.com

kspades
08-30-2001, 04:59 PM
I got a Pronto 2meger...its was cool when I bougt it but the new Pro simply roxxx

pir8matt
08-30-2001, 05:06 PM
Hmm, Thank you for the information, but what I guess Im really asking is, can any universal remote 'learn' the Tivo functions like the 'thumbs up, thumbs down' stuff? Is it proprietary or does any old universal remote do the same thing?

I just dont want to have to wait to order one from philips. I'd rather just run to best buy or circuit city and buy one.

Thanks again,

-Matt

Vadim
08-30-2001, 06:12 PM
There is a way to get Directivo remote from philips for free, they shipped a lot of defective remotes and all you have to do is call parts center and tell them tivo gave you this number 20179 because your remote doesn't work. They will ask for your serial number and they all are like 47xxxx just make one up and they will ship it to you.

pir8matt
08-30-2001, 06:36 PM
thanks for the tip. I dont suppose you would have the 800 number to call as well, would you?

I know thats pushing it, but it doesnt hurt to ask, right?

kspades
08-31-2001, 08:23 AM
You know...I also bought an open box SA tivo...I called up TiVo inc. and told them..hey, remote right out the box dont work...they asked me for serial #, and after telling me, that they really shouldnt be doing this w/o a receipt, they sent me over a new one...jus try to sound professional, and not a hacka ok.