PDA

View Full Version : ty module for VideoLan

tx413
08-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know if somebody out there is working on ty modules for VideoLan?

I've been hacking around at this a little bit, and have a streamer module built to pull shows from a TiVo unit running vstream. Of course that's useless without a TY demux module. My TY demux module works okay with video, but no audio yet. And of course it's all just hacks right now; the code is terrible, and there's small problems that need to be fixed...

VideoLan is a great project; all modules are "discovered" and loaded at runtime. That means I can write a module and need only distribute the module (.DLL on windows or .so on Linux) to anyone who has VideoLan already running.

Anyway I thought I'd ask around before I go and re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

Neal

tx413
08-09-2004, 12:31 AM
Okay if anybody's watching, the weekend was good. I got audio working ok now, but I can only test MPEG1 layer II because I have Series 1 DTiVo and those are the only streams I have (no AC3 found yet).

So I can now do this:

vlc tivo://tivohost/fsid[/part]
or
vlc my-recorded-show.ty

and it seems to play ok on my 700Mhz linux laptop. I'll compile it for windows soon and test that.

My goal is to eventually set up a streaming web host for all content I have available (divx, mpeg, ty, mp3, whatever). The main reason I'm using VLC is because it has a built-in transcoder and streamer. So I can transcode my TY stream (or ANY stream) into WMV2, for instance, and stream it out over the web easily to any Windows Media Player client. And I can even pick a lower bitrate so my wimpy upstream bandwidth can handle it.

So is there a nice place I could download samples of all the kinds of TY streams? Stand-Alone, Series 2, AC3 audio, maybe even HD streams ?? That would really help.

neal

mavrcksd
08-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Okay if anybody's watching, the weekend was good. I got audio working ok now, but I can only test MPEG1 layer II because I have Series 1 DTiVo and those are the only streams I have (no AC3 found yet).

So I can now do this:

vlc tivo://tivohost/fsid[/part]
or
vlc my-recorded-show.ty

and it seems to play ok on my 700Mhz linux laptop. I'll compile it for windows soon and test that.

My goal is to eventually set up a streaming web host for all content I have available (divx, mpeg, ty, mp3, whatever). The main reason I'm using VLC is because it has a built-in transcoder and streamer. So I can transcode my TY stream (or ANY stream) into WMV2, for instance, and stream it out over the web easily to any Windows Media Player client. And I can even pick a lower bitrate so my wimpy upstream bandwidth can handle it.

So is there a nice place I could download samples of all the kinds of TY streams? Stand-Alone, Series 2, AC3 audio, maybe even HD streams ?? That would really help.

neal

I use VLC at work.. would love to be able to adapt this to a home environment :)

zeddock
08-13-2004, 04:05 AM
I use VLC at work.. would love to be able to adapt this to a home environment :)

Count me in TOO!!!

What I am looking for is a way I can remotely, (While working in city...) tell Tivoweb to start recording something and as soon as it starts to record, i will be able to start the stream and VIEW remotely.

From what I have seen in VLC, it is not as caring about having everything to the end before being able to play it, like WMP. If that is the case, it may work.

Please let us know when you have the windoze version ready?

Thanx,
zeddock

lanceheld
09-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Do you have a beta version of your module available for public use yet? I'd be very interested in trying it out. I have a S1, so I can't help you out with alternative streams though.

tx413
09-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Unfortunately it isn't ready to release in alpha or beta form.

While the current version handles mpeg audio and video, it's not great. It loses sync very easily, and doesn't recover well at all from the smallest problems in either stream.

And for some reason the rest of Videolan doesn't like the decoded streams. Transcoding doesn't work very well, and as a result streaming doesn't work at all.

It's the same problems that I'm sure the other ty stream developers around here have faced, but the only source code available is mplayer and tyStudio, both a bit dated in terms of ty stream development.

Also, I've been on vacation the past weeks and haven't done anything on it, thinking there wasn't much interest. But now I'm back on development and will post an update soon.

blueman2
09-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I much prefer VLC over mplayer or WMP. I currently use WMP to play ty streams, using the integration with TivoWebPlus. It would be great to have VLC run instead of WMP, as VLC has better and more efficient decoding, and has other neat features WMP does not.

Eagerly awaiting code!!!!

JayBhai
11-18-2004, 04:09 AM
I finally got around to getting all the streaming stuff installed and the streaming works great with WMP, but I would love to be able to watch with VLC.

CySurflex
12-08-2004, 04:24 AM
I've actually just spent all evening reading up on VLC/DirectShow/DirectX to see if this kind of thing would be possible without any new code, but so far no luck.

Something like this would be FANTASTIC. It would enable reencoding of a stream at a much lower bitrate, and would make it feasable to view recordings off of your tivo through your mobile phone!!