PDA

View Full Version : Dtv recordings, tytool, editing and pixelation

Griff1324
08-10-2004, 10:41 PM
I attempted to search the forums with no luck on this issue. Therefore, if it has been asked before I apologize and if you could point me to the proper thread I would appreciate it.

I am using TyTool 9r16 for editing the commercials out of my HDVR2. I am using FAE to do this editing. I leave all of the black transition screens before and after the commercials to fade/lead into the next portion of the show that I am editing. I have noticed that on almost all of my edited videos the portion of the video either before or after the edited commercial gets pixelated.

Since I am leaving the "black" screens for transition purposes, I would think that these screens would become pixelated (although it would never be noticed since the entire screen is black) and not the show itself. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Chris

FredThompson
08-11-2004, 12:20 AM
AFAIK, there is still a problem with Intel CPUs and the mpeg2 encoder used within TyTool.

Griff1324
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Thanks Fred. I am assuming that there is nothing that I can do about this then, correct? If I switched to an AMD processor would I still have this problem?

Thanks,

Chris

FredThompson
08-11-2004, 01:08 AM
All I use is AMD so I really didn't pay much attention when this came up a while ago. It was an issue with either mpeg2enc or cygwin. There must be a solution because people aren't screaming about it. I don't really have any way to direct you to appropriate replacement files because my interest was only in passing. If I used Intel CPUs...

Try searching the older TyTool threads.

malfunct
08-11-2004, 01:14 AM
I attempted to search the forums with no luck on this issue. Therefore, if it has been asked before I apologize and if you could point me to the proper thread I would appreciate it.

I am using TyTool 9r16 for editing the commercials out of my HDVR2. I am using FAE to do this editing. I leave all of the black transition screens before and after the commercials to fade/lead into the next portion of the show that I am editing. I have noticed that on almost all of my edited videos the portion of the video either before or after the edited commercial gets pixelated.

Since I am leaving the "black" screens for transition purposes, I would think that these screens would become pixelated (although it would never be noticed since the entire screen is black) and not the show itself. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Chris

Look in older tytool threads (early releases of version 9) for the different builds of mpeg2enc and cygwin1.dll (or whatever its called) try out versions until you find one that doesn't crash mpeg2enc but doesn't cause the pixelation.

captain_video
08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I use an AMD XP 1600+ and I get the pixelisation you're referring to. I've used several different versions of TyTools lately (seems like there's a new revision every week; that's not a complaint, mind you) and I had edited a lot of shows before I ever got around to watching any of them so I can't pin down which version(s) gave me the pixelated edit points.

Griff1324
08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I watched a program that I edited and sometimes it would pixelate and sometimes it wouldn't. It isn't a huge deal but I like things to be "perfect". I just hate spending quite a bit of time transfering and editing the shows to get them the way I want and then to have the video become pixelated.

FYI, I realize that the time I spend editing videos does not compare to the time that people spend developing these applications. As it was noted that there seems to be a new version of TyTools out every week, I don't consider this a bad thing. At least the author continues to make improvements and fix known issues on a regular basis and does not allow this tool to die out by constantly making it better. While I spend most of my time lurking here from time to time, I truely appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into developing applications and hacks for this hobby. I also appreciate the "regulars" on this board, such as Fred and Captain Video, that are always offering advice and tips!

later,

Chris

willywanker
08-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Apparently JDiner is aware of the problem and is fixing it in the next release of tytools. In the meantime he said to use a hex editor on the tytools app and find the string -q1 and change it to -q2 (this is when it calls mpeg2enc).

It fixed the problem for me.

Here's the link to the original message: click here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=181797&postcount=344)