PDA

View Full Version : Another way to work with extracted files with OSX

08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
I thought I would share my method of editing / burning files with OSX. I use TyTool to get my programs off my TiVo from a Windows machine that I have. I take the .MPG from Tytool and use a program called MPEG Streamclip for OSX (http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html). It takes the MPG file from TyTool and will convert it to MPEG4 or a .DV file. With the .DV file, just about any video program on OSX will be able to work with it.

Hope this helps someone !

Fofer
08-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Good info and thanks for starting the topic. I do the same thing. What I was hoping to find was a good workflow for burning the original MPEG-2 file directly to DVD, without the intermediary (time consuming and quality degrading) step of re-encoding.

Any pointers on this would be appreciated.

gtrogue
08-17-2004, 11:01 PM
I use MPEG2 Works on my Mac to do some multiplexing, demultiplexing, conversion, etc. of video. Serbian, the author, is working on an option in the program to take .ty files and convert them to standard DVD MPEG-2. If it follows the form of the other stuff in the program it should be a one or two step process to perform the conversion.
Here's the thread in the MPEG2 Works forum. http://www.gemini3.co.yu/tosa/viewtopic.php?t=401

Hopefully it will be ready soon.

techtvman
08-18-2004, 05:02 PM
when is the program in that forum above going to be finished or is there a link to download on the web somewhere.

When i try the streamclip and in the file menu i choose export to DV and it gives me an error of can not prepare the movie? what am i doing wrong here?

Thanks.

joeblough
08-19-2004, 03:07 AM
well, before i built my HTPC i was using tytool running under wine on linux to extract .mpgs from the tivo, then using dd to rewrite the first mpeg header in the file to fix the bitrate and pixel dimensions. after doing that, dvd studio pro 2 will import the tivo .mpgs. some DVD players wont be happy with the mpgs though.

gtrogue
08-19-2004, 10:57 AM
when is the program in that forum above going to be finished or is there a link to download on the web somewhere.

When i try the streamclip and in the file menu i choose export to DV and it gives me an error of can not prepare the movie? what am i doing wrong here?

Thanks.

The program is available now but the .ty file conversion isn't integrated yet. If you read the posts in that thread you know that Serbian just posted last week that he was working on it but that it was more time consuming than he thought since the Tivo sticks a bunch of junk in the file. I'm sure it won't be much longer.

Are you talking about converting to DV in MPEG2 Works? If you are, I believe that you have to have Quicktime Pro in order to use the export to DV functionality. MPEG2 Works is really just a front end GUI that consolidates a bunch of programs and scripts together in a single package. It uses the convert to DV functionality in Quicktime Pro to perform that action. You can do the same thing directly in Quicktime Pro by using the Export option, I believe.

Fofer
08-19-2004, 11:03 PM
then using dd to rewrite the first mpeg header in the file to fix the bitrate and pixel dimensions. after doing that, dvd studio pro 2 will import the tivo .mpgs. some DVD players wont be happy with the mpgs though.

I'm fine with that, actually... is there any Mac equivalent (preferably GUI) to dd, that will allow me to fix the bitrate and pixel dimensions, so I can import into DVD SP?

(*nix newbie here.)

joeblough
08-20-2004, 01:03 AM
not that i know of, but its a pretty simple command to run in the terminal.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173520&postcount=53

I'm fine with that, actually... is there any Mac equivalent (preferably GUI) to dd, that will allow me to fix the bitrate and pixel dimensions, so I can import into DVD SP?

(*nix newbie here.)

sponk
08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I searched and found a method of extracting files, viewing and burning them, that does not require VirtualPC or any software that isn't free or shareware.

I have a DTiVo2, treated with the sleeper CD (monty). Afterwards I installed the extract.itcl module for TivoWeb (actually I replaced Tivoweb with TivoWebPlus, but that shouldn't matter). extract.itcl can be found in this thread:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32049&highlight=extract.itcl

For it to work, some files from mfs_ftp also need to be installed (mips version required for DTiVo2). Tip: extract.itcl goes into the tivoweb-tcl/modules directory, the mfs_ftp files into tivoweb-tcl/bin_mips. Also for extract.itcl to work properly on a readonly partition, change this line (around line 233)

exec $bin_dir/mfs_stream -s $part >@$chan 2> stderr

to read

exec $bin_dir/mfs_stream -s $part >@$chan

At this point you can use Safari to download the ty files (pretty quick too): Just select the 'Extract' screen in TivoWeb, right-click on the 'ty' next to the desired show, and choose 'Download linked file as...'.

Once the download is completed you have the ty file on your disk. You can view it directly with 'MPlayer OS X 2', found here:

http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/

Tip: Drag the ty file onto the playlist, it will not load any other way. However due to interlacing the video doesn't look as good as it could.

You can stop here, or convert the ty file into an mpg file. Best tool around appears to be vsplit, but I have not found a recent version compiled for OS X. However I found VSplit-mac-3.03b2 (which seems to work fine) here:

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/for_mac/

To convert to mpg use a command line like this:

VSplit-mac-3.03b2 -m xxx.ty xxx.mpg dummy

The dummy file will be empty, replace xxx.ty with the show downloaded before, and xxx.mpg with the destination.

Now you can use VLC (or if you have, quicktime with the mpg plugin) to view the mpg file (Tip: In VLC use Video/Deinterlace/Blend for smoother looking video!). VLC is here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Lastly you can also use one or more mpg files to author a DVD using Sizzle:

http://thegoods.ath.cx/~hmason/sizzle/

Sizzle will warn about a potentially incompatible mpg format, but at least on my DVD player it works fine. When done with sizzle, save the document (important, sizzle crashed on me once while creating a disk image), then create the disk image. Open the disk image, and verify with DVDPlayer that all menu's work etc. Then open the Disk Image with Disk Utility and burn...

What is missing at the moment is closed captioning (lost using the above process) and editing (eg removing commercials etc).

Editing ty streams maybe possible with tystudio at some point (requires x11, and currently crashes for me halfway through loading a ty file).

Closed caption is a lot trickier though. At this point the to me most promising avenue is:

- Find a more recent version of vsplit (hello jdiner!), which I think can export the closed caption info from a ty file
- Write a utility that converts this to submux format which can be handled by sizzle (doesn't seem too hard)

I realize this will convert closed caption into subtitles, but that seems OK. I guess alternatively a utility could take the extracted closed captioning data and reintroduce it into the VOB files once sizzle is done authoring. However as far as I can tell this is difficult and time consuming, and I could find no such utility (at least not with free source or compiled for OS X).

Comments?

Fofer
08-20-2004, 05:31 PM
First comment that comes to mind is, "wow!"

Thanks for the great and informative post, sponk. I learned quite a few new things that I'll be playing with this weekend. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

joeblough
08-20-2004, 10:03 PM
sponk, thanks for the walkthrough.

i didnt know that .ty support had been rolled into the main branch of mplayer. one comment i have is that mplayerOSX is really unstable. a better option is to install X11 and then use fink to build mplayer (or maybe the mplayer source will compile on OSX without any patches?).

also, why cant you just use mfs_ftp and a mac FTP client, rather than going thru TivoWeb? i find that TivoWeb occasionally crashes my series1 directivo.

sponk
08-21-2004, 12:11 PM
sponk, thanks for the walkthrough.

i didnt know that .ty support had been rolled into the main branch of mplayer. one comment i have is that mplayerOSX is really unstable. a better option is to install X11 and then use fink to build mplayer (or maybe the mplayer source will compile on OSX without any patches?).

Sure, that'll work fine too. I am not really using mplayerOSX, just pointed it out as a possible solution here.

also, why cant you just use mfs_ftp and a mac FTP client, rather than going thru TivoWeb? i find that TivoWeb occasionally crashes my series1 directivo.

Absolutely. Whichever method works or is more convenient.

reybold
08-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Hello, first of all I would like to thank you for the good information, I have been able to at least view the files I have transferred. A couple of questions if you don't mind. I am really new to mac so these might be nub questions

1) I downloaded VSplit-mac-3.03b2 and I cannot figure out how to get it installed.

2) is there a way to extract the ty files from a tmf archive? i was able to use WinRAR on the PC but stuffit seems to have issues with the format.

If you could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it

-David

steve90071
08-22-2004, 07:59 PM
In OSX, open "Terminal" (in your Utilities folder). Drag VSplit to the Terminal. At the prompt type "-m". Hit "enter". Drag the .ty file to the terminal. Type "xxx.mpg dummy" (where xxx is the name of your destination file). Hit "enter".

You should then be able to watch VSplit process your .ty file. When completed, you will probably find the processed file in your home folder. In order to view the file you will have to "Get Info" on the file and change the "Ownership and Permissions" to "Read & Write" from "No Access".

Before doing the above, it may be necessary to make the "VSplit" file you downloaded executable. To do that, in Terminal type "chmod +x". Hit "enter". Drag the VSplit file to the Terminal. Hit "enter". Your file will now be executable.

reybold
08-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Thank you very much for the info it worked really well. Does anyone know if the other functions work and if so how to make them work? like pulling out the audio stream or the VOB settings

vsplit [options] <infile> <videofile> <audiofile>
Version: jdiner 3.03 Beta #2
options:
-v verbose
-V Very verbose (DTivo additions)
-j# Jump # number of chunks into the file before processing. (Quicker checks of fixes...)
-l# Process # number of total chunks (once processing starts).
-n No output. Process as normal but don't save anything to disk.
-m Multiplex output. Results in a single MPEG-2 Program Stream.
(outputs in VideoFile, audiofile is needed but ignored).
-d Multiplex into (S)VCD sized PACKS (2324 bytes).
-k Build the edit KeyFrames file.
-c* Mulitplex using the cut list file '*'.
-p Produce seperate Mulitplexed files using the cut list file '*'.
-f Fix the frame order at a cut for Ulead tools (use with -p mode)!
-b Generate a VOB format mpeg file.
-a Perform audio 'hole' patching.
-t# Perform audio transcoding. Options (1-7 see below):
(s)VCD @ 44,100 -> (1 = 160, 2 = 192, 3 = 224kpbs)
DVD @ 48,000 -> (4 = 160, 5 = 192, 6 = 224kpbs)
DVD @ 48,000 -> (7 = Dolby @ 384000kpbs)
-h help

Thanks again

--David

reybold
10-17-2004, 01:40 PM
I have a new question about Vsplit, if I extract a ty file from the tivo that is greater than 512 MB it seems to truncate the conversion. For instance I'll have and MPEG2 that is ~2GB in size but it'll only play the 1st 30 minutes. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

David

reybold
10-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Nevermind, I think its a tivo issue it works if I cat ty's from a tmf.

reybold
10-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Hello again, I've been snooping around trying to find an explanation about why when i VSplit something that has a DD5.1 I get no sound out
here is a sample of the vsplit script

dyna002235:~/Documents/TiVoShows/Underworld David$ /Users/David/Documents/TiVoShows/VSplit-mac-3.03b2 /Users/David/Documents/TiVoShows/Underworld/Underworld.ty underworld dummy
Processing '/Users/David/Documents/TiVoShows/Underworld/Underworld.ty': (10 chunks per tick)
Detected Tivo Type: Series2
Detected Audio Stream Type: Dolby Digital 5.1
Final standardAudioSize = 1552
Final standardFrameLength = 1536
Final standardAudioDiff = 2880 or 00:00:00.032
First Video PTS: 00:04:10.191

When I try to play the mpg I get no sound out and if I look at the file info thru Gumby 48 it tells me that it's a MPEG2 layer 1 Stereo signal sampled at 24KHz is there any fix for this? Can Sizzle make a movie in DD5.1?