PDA

View Full Version : what tools for RCA DVR40 extraction

lux
08-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Let me preface this by saying, I am clueless when it comes to linux. I've tried to enlist my dad and cousin to help me, but neither of them want to, so I'm stuck doing this myself.

I've devoted the entire day tomorrow to setting up my tivo so that I can extract video to my PC. Expect a flood of posts then. ;)

I've looked over the forum here for a couple weeks and I'm still confused. A lot of the guides I've found are outdated, and I want to be sure that I'm doing the most up-to-date thing to my TiVo.

I do not want to upgrade the hard drive. I would just like to set it up so that I can take shows off the Tivo and put them on my computer as often as I'd like. Like with ReplayTV.

I have a Torx 10. A clone computer set up with FAT32 and a cd writer.

My current software version is 3.1.1c-01-2-321.

What else will I be needing?

I've read some things about SleeperISO, TyTools, TivoBliss, PROM, monte, and I just don't want to do more than needed and royally screw my Tivo.

I know a lot of you are going to say this is a good learning experience, but messing with computers is not where my heart is, and I don't have a lot of time since I am starting my junior year of college this month.

captain_video
08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Hack your DTivo using Sleeper's tivoscript iso and set it up with a static IP address compatible with your home network.

Update the TyTools files on the Tivo side using the latest mips versions contained in the TyTools zip file. Transfer them in binary mode using your FTP program. Make them executable after you've transferred the files (type in "chmod 755 filename" from the bash prompt). You may have to make the Tivo filesystem read/write before you transfer the files (mount -o remount,rw /). Read through all of the docs supplied with TyTools in the zip file.

Here are some helpful links to get you started:

http://www.alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoHackingLinks

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/extraction_articles/tivo_dvd.html
I've also attached a copy of the Newbies Guide to provide you with some basic Linux commands and such that you will need to know and understand. Now you have your homework assignment so do lots of reading. If you have any questions try the search function to look for your answers first (hint: display search results as posts instead of threads and you'll have far less reading to do).