PDA

View Full Version : Probably a question worthy of flaming....

polaris_flyer
08-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Obviously I'm a newbie... Here goes my question. My TiVO has ver3.1.1 on it, which was previously hacked, not requiring a phone line and could work with HU. However, I just found out that TiVO ver 4.0 has the Home Media Option. Do I HAVE to have a subscription to TiVO as well as to DirecTV in order to get the software upgrades ?? :confused: Thanks for your input.

polaris_flyer
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
... Maybe I just answered myself, but I found these links on eMule:

ed2k://|file|Tivo_40g-s2-4.0.1b.rar|216643231|874871D656DE6F910219368923E04FD9|/

ed2k://|file|tivo-40-s2-hu.zip|275571402|96F80D5B88C3A128F9621CCFE1332DC8|/

ed2k://|file|Tivo.Image.Ver.4.0b.-.S2-40-4-0b.zip|381217882|75C151F6F7FF5015181BBFAEAF1695A6|/

malfunct
08-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Obviously I'm a newbie... Here goes my question. My TiVO has ver3.1.1 on it, which was previously hacked, not requiring a phone line and could work with HU. However, I just found out that TiVO ver 4.0 has the Home Media Option. Do I HAVE to have a subscription to TiVO as well as to DirecTV in order to get the software upgrades ?? :confused: Thanks for your input.

First of all I would never mention that you don't have a tivo subscription (though if you pay for the tivo service through DTV then you do pay for tivo so ignore that comment). Second 4.0 is not an upgrade that you would get on a DTivo though if you read enough you can make it work there with no ill effect. Also, even though you put 4.0 on your DTivo that doesn't mean HMO will activate, you must install the "superpatch" in order to enable that. I would go to the series 2 support forum and read the thread regarding 4.0 on DTivo and then after you fully understand that and get it working you should read the superpatch thread. BTW, the "superpatched" tivo will only share content with other superpatched tivos. It is not the standard HMO because it has encryption disabled and won't speak with a tivo that uses the standard HMO. Also I wouldn't expect that any HMO services that work through tivo's website would work for similar reasons.

mrblack51
08-14-2004, 01:47 AM

4.0 is not officially released for dtivos. you can load it yourself using a backup image such as the ones you found.

polaris_flyer
08-14-2004, 07:22 AM
First of all I would never mention that you don't have a tivo subscription

Thank you Malfunct. Yes, I should have beem more clear. While I DO have a DTV subscription, I didn't think it was fair that I would ALSO have to get a $12.95/mo subscription to TiVO.com as well (althought I did try and it rejected the TiVO service number, due to being a DTV sub number)
:o

polaris_flyer
08-14-2004, 07:28 AM
4.0 is not officially released for dtivos. you can load it yourself using a backup image such as the ones you found.

Thank you MrBlack. That would explain why on the many nights that the TiVO would stay online for nearly an hour downloading, it didn't get a new version of the software. Would you say that it is worth experimenting on a new HD so that if it doesn't run properly, I can just remove it and reinstall the original HD ? If so, do I need to get a certain brand or type (ATA100?) HD ? :rolleyes:

mrblack51
08-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Thank you Malfunct. Yes, I should have beem more clear. While I DO have a DTV subscription, I didn't think it was fair that I would ALSO have to get a $12.95/mo subscription to TiVO.com as well (althought I did try and it rejected the TiVO service number, due to being a DTV sub number)

it rejected your service number due to it being a dtivo. you need to pay dtv your $5 a month. if you are using hte tivo service without paying that, you are stealing.

polaris_flyer
08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Just for clarification, I AM paying the $5 monthly fee to DTV for having the TiVO service. I just didn't know if I ALSO had to pay Tivo the $12 monthly fee to get the firmware / software updates. While I am grateful for the information you and the others have put up here, I really don't appreciate the position you've taken to assume that I am stealing.

JJBliss
08-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Just for clarification, I AM paying the $5 monthly fee to DTV for having the TiVO service. I just didn't know if I ALSO had to pay Tivo the $12 monthly fee to get the firmware / software updates. While I am grateful for the information you and the others have put up here, I really don't appreciate the position you've taken to assume that I am stealing.

Get off your high horse. The mere fact that you have a 3.1.1 DTivo that "works with an HU card", indicates that you were at one point stealing from DTV or Tivo. Don't be stupid and assume that we don't know what you're doing.

You may very well be paying for your service, but methinks the man doth protest too much.

NutKase
08-14-2004, 02:37 PM

And you still didn't mention you have a tivo subscription... If that implied you did it wasn't very clear.

Having a DTV subscription gives you digital satellite video

Having a tivo subscription gives you guide updates (and software updates if you're not running a version of the tivosoftware that wasn't released for DTivo's - i.e, 4.x and up)

NutKase

polaris_flyer
08-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Wholly cr*p ! I've never seen so many vindictive people in a forum. Do you want a PDF of my Directv bill so I can prove myself ? Yes, I have a subscription to DirectTV and I also pay Directv an additional $5 for having a Tivo ! This is all new to me as it was a freebie from a coworker who upgraded to HD Tivo. He told me he had modified it for TiVO web but all that I want is the Media Option, so I started to look into this on the Internet.

I really hope you dont treat all new comers this way....

almontebarnes
08-14-2004, 03:12 PM
STFU. The title to your original post was "Probably a question worthy of flaming...." Don't pretend to be suprised at the reaction. You're clearly (at least partially) baiting. Besides, you got the info you needed, so consume it and again, STFU.

Wholly cr*p ! I've never seen so many vindictive people in a forum. Do you want a PDF of my Directv bill so I can prove myself ? Yes, I have a subscription to DirectTV and I also pay Directv an additional $5 for having a Tivo ! This is all new to me as it was a freebie from a coworker who upgraded to HD Tivo. He told me he had modified it for TiVO web but all that I want is the Media Option, so I started to look into this on the Internet.

alldeadhomiez
08-14-2004, 04:38 PM

Moved to Sewer.

Shape up or ship out.

singe606
08-20-2004, 03:29 PM
And you still didn't mention you have a tivo subscription... If that implied you did it wasn't very clear.

Having a DTV subscription gives you digital satellite video

Having a tivo subscription gives you guide updates (and software updates if you're not running a version of the tivosoftware that wasn't released for DTivo's - i.e, 4.x and up)

NutKase
Isn't the guide updated over satellite with DTV?

dnemec123
08-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Isn't the guide updated over satellite with DTV?

Yes, the guide data is via satellite. Software updates, PPV billing, NFL Sunday Ticket, and Tivo usage data are all sent via the phone line.

NutKase
08-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, the guide data is via satellite.

Yes, the guide may be updated via the satellite, but it comes from TiVo and is paid for by your monthly Tivo fee.

NutKase