PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help: mfs_ftp FAILS to see ty files > 4 Gb

superlatives
08-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Hope someone can help!

I checked as many FAQs as I could find, AND performed a post search for the answer. Any help -- OR a link to an existing thread -- would be appreciated!

I have a four hour show in best quality on my S1 Tivo with mfs_ftp and tystudio installed. My PC runs Windows 2000 SP3. When I open the ty folder in IE 6.0, that 4-hour show appears as a "3.99 Gb" file. Which is impossible due to the show's length and being recorded as "best quality".

Now ... when I open the file using tystudio, the s/w opens up ALL four hours. BUT, when I try "Save to disk first", it saves only the first 90 minutes -- APPARENTLY 3.99 Gb of the file.

My "guess" (supported by the Info screen of Tivoweb immediately after recording the show) is that the ty file is over 7 Gb. Yet there seems no way to save the entire show to disk.

Has anyone else encountered this porblem and have found a solution (OTHER than using tystudio to convert the show to MPEG first)?

Again, if there's a link to a discussion of this matter, I'd appreciate if someone could post it.

Thanks for any help!

lenroc
08-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Searching for "4gb limit" pulls up more than a few threads that seem to suggest that FAT32 has a 4gb filesize limitation:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=92714&highlight=4GB+limit#post92714
Any chance that's the FS on the drive you're extracting to?

superlatives
08-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Lenroc:

Thanks for the reply!

No, my PC's hard disks are all NTFS. Of greater "mystery" is that, using mfs_ftp via Internet Explorer, Tivo reports TO my PC that the four hour ty file is 3.99 Gb. WHY mfs_ftp on the TIVO side is reporting that is what I'm wondering.

I was hoping that maybe someone found a "fix" (assuming someone else has encountered the problem before).

The other mysterious part of the equation is why tystudio will LOAD the entire 4 hour show from "Now Showing", BUT NOT save the entire 4 hour show to disk before processing.

Thanks again ...will keep on doing post searches in the interim!

eastwind
08-16-2004, 05:47 PM
I've extracted a 8+GB file using TyTools. I'd suggest trying that.
ew

lart2150
08-16-2004, 05:49 PM
it might be your ftp client

eastwind
08-16-2004, 05:53 PM
it might be your ftp client
I saw this and tried MSIE6 to look at my 8GB file and it shows up as 3.99. I think you might just need SmartFTP or something better than MSIE for your ftp client.
Good call, lart2150!!
ew

superlatives
08-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Eastwind: I WILL try tytools, have already downloaded it! FYI I've noticed that tystudio CAN render pixellated MPGs from time to time, and I want to see if tytools will do better! Also thanks for taking the time to test MSIE6 on FTP! Having your input reassures me that it's MSIE and NOT ME! :-)

Lart: Thanks for your input as well. FYI I didn't THINK it was MSIE until Eastwind saw the same thing!

Thanks again!

rc3105
08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
I moved a 400gig recording once just for the heck of it. took a lil while but it worked fine

try smart-ftp or your favorite <insert non-ms junk here> utility

rung
08-17-2004, 04:09 AM
I can confirm that the integrated ftp in XP does NOT work for files bigger than 4G. Thanks, m$! Use SmartFTP - it's much faster, too.

rung
08-17-2004, 04:15 AM
I moved a 400gig recording once just for the heck of it.

LOL. "Please insert DVD # 93 to continue watching recording..."

cojonesdetoro
08-17-2004, 05:35 PM
BTW, some FTP clients will have a problem showing file sizes > 4GB but download the full file okay.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE LATEST "SHIPPING" VERSION OF MFS_FTP.

hrmph! sorry fer yellin' but I'm pretty sure that older versions had this problem and some people are quick to ask for support instead of upgrading the proggy.

I moved a 400gig recording once just for the heck of it. took a lil while but it worked fine

Whoofa! I tried that once and threw out my back. Y'see I had too much to drink and she was lookin' reeel purrty and...

superlatives
08-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Just a quick note of thanks to all of you who provided input and advice!!!

1. SmartFTP: I did download Smart FTP and now use it, thanks! FYI, that four hour program was NOT 7 GB as I thought ... turned out it was almost TWELVE!

2. tytools: right now I am "tinkering" with tytools. At the moment my problem is finding enough documentation on how to use it! :-) I have done searches here and found someone's helpful Word doc on "quick tips", but still need to find more info i.e., how to make MPEGs instead of VOBs. Anyway I'll play with it for a while and see what happens.

Regardless, I DO appreciate the help of all here!

SR712
08-20-2004, 07:50 PM
At the moment my problem is finding enough documentation on how to use it! :-)

There are a bunch of .docs included with the .zip of tytools. There ain't no mo than that, Super. Sorry.