PDA

View Full Version : Moved threads cluttering the place

Juppers
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I understand the need to move threads to put them where they belong, but is there anyway to limit the number of days the "Moved:" pointer sticks around? Trying to scan through threads in some forums you are wading through 60% of "Moved" topics. Kinda having the opposite effect of reducing the clutter.

JJBliss
08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
I understand the need to move threads to put them where they belong, but is there anyway to limit the number of days the "Moved:" pointer sticks around? Trying to scan through threads in some forums you are wading through 60% of "Moved" topics. Kinda having the opposite effect of reducing the clutter.

Interesting point. I tend to agree, but have you read the myriad of posts claiming that there is some kind of administrator/moderator consipracy when we DON'T use the moved pointer? There is a cadre of folks who think that we are "required" to leave that redirection in place. I personally disagree with them.

I don't think we can limit the days, but I will check. It is a reasonable solution to both viewpoints.

Juppers
08-17-2004, 01:03 PM
If it isn't an existing option in this version of vbulletin, it is pretty easy to add. Just a few lines in forumdisplay.php. I also find it odd that Stickys show up on every page of a forum instead of just the first page.

Here is some code I just wrote that would make Moved: only show up for 3 days. I just tested it on an older vbulletin, and it works. These functions would still need to be referenced in the where clause for thread selection, which in the version I have is in the $threads query. It would be trivial to change $movedtime to a user selectable days variable in the control panel.

$movedtime=(time() - 259200);
$getmoved=$DB_site->query("
SELECT thread.threadid
FROM thread
WHERE thread.forumid = $foruminfo[forumid] and open=10 and dateline<$movedtime");

$hidemoved='and thread.threadid NOT IN (0';
while ($thread=$DB_site->fetch_array($getmoved)) {
$hidemoved .= "," . $thread['threadid'];
}
$hidemoved.=')';

Oops. This is outside the threads per page limit, so it would make the pages shorter than they should be. The query is good, it would just need to be called in the $threadids function instead of the $threads function.

Gromit
10-01-2004, 09:14 PM
... There is a cadre of folks who think that we are "required" to leave that redirection in place. ... How about a user option to hide "moved" pointers after N days. Then those who want to see them can, and those who don't can make them invisible. If the cadre complains, limit the lowest value to 3 days or whatever (highest = never).

I also find it odd that Stickys show up on every page of a forum instead of just the first page.I agree (though "annoying" is the word I'd use).

mrblack51
10-02-2004, 02:25 PM
How about a user option to hide "moved" pointers after N days. Then those who want to see them can, and those who don't can make them invisible. If the cadre complains, limit the lowest value to 3 days or whatever (highest = never).

thats a nice idea, but someone has to code it in case you weren't aware.

Gromit
10-02-2004, 08:22 PM
thats a nice idea, but someone has to code it in case you weren't aware.Yes, I've peeked into vBulletin code before.

Actually, now that I re-read Juppers' post again, I see he already thought of it...
It would be trivial to change $movedtime to a user selectable days variable in the control panel.

captain_video
10-02-2004, 10:32 PM
How about just posting which threads moved in a sticky at the top of the forum page? The only people that care if a thread has been moved are those that posted it in the first place, except for anyone that may have posted a response prior to the thread being moved. This would remove the clutter but still provide a link to the new thread location.

Another option could be to simply notify the thread originator and posters that the thread has been relocated via a canned PM with a link to the new thread location.

tytyty
10-03-2004, 12:12 AM
How about just posting which threads moved in a sticky at the top of the forum page? The only people that care if a thread has been moved are those that posted it in the first place, except for anyone that may have posted a response prior to the thread being moved. This would remove the clutter but still provide a link to the new thread location.

Another option could be to simply notify the thread originator and posters that the thread has been relocated via a canned PM with a link to the new thread location.
I would assume that most people that have posted or subbed to a thread wouls be getting emails or know how to use the User CP to check their subbed threads.....

mrblack51
10-03-2004, 04:56 PM

unless this were done automatically, i can tell you right now, i would not do it. this makes the assumtion that moderators have enough time to do this. unless its automatic, then i doubt it will be consistently done. i like the idea of removing the "moved" notice after, say, a week or maybe 3 days. that way the poster has a chance to see the thread was moved. i dont really see the need for it to be user selectable, just have it be a blanket setting.

Juppers
10-04-2004, 12:30 AM
If it is going to be done, might as well make it a user option as well. Not really any major work there. Besides, while 3 days would be an improvement, for people that don't care to see things that were moved because they didn't belong there in the first place, 3 days is too many. Code sample posted above, standing offer to code it.

NutKase
10-04-2004, 01:14 AM
I would assume that most people that have posted or subbed to a thread would be getting emails or know how to use the User CP to check their subbed threads.....

I agree, and I don't seem to be having any problems... maybe just advise folks to 'auto subscribe' to threads/email is the answer.

NutKase