PDA

View Full Version : Best Method for Audio Only Extraction?

tlytle
08-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I would like to extract the audio only from my hacked (Sleeper) dtivo and place on audio CD. The motivation is to listen to Austin City Limits (etc) in my truck on audio CD. I have used TyTools and imported with several different options. The best seems to be muxed with no transcoding. I then use a tool like easyaudio to extract the audio portion and cut into individaul tracks. Is this the best way? I have searched the forums here and elsewhere without much luck.

artships
08-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Make a titleset of it with tytools. Visit doom9.org (http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm) and get vStrip_08f_css.zip . Search for "vstrip how to", www.doom9.org/vstrip.htm, and follow the example. You want to select everything. Note the line, " you select Only GOP-Headers you can create audio VOBs by just selecting audio streams." Feed the result into DVD2AVI. It will produce an AC3 file.

Could well be that if you feed TyTool's muxed output to DVD2AVI you could get the same thing.

captain_video
08-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Extracting and separating the audio is a simple task. You can pretty much use any number of methods to do what you want. You can extract the ty file, process it into elemental streams, and then transcode the audio (m2a or mpa) file into whatever type of audio file you want. If you want to listen to it in your CD player then you'd probably want to convert it to a wav file.

tlytle
08-25-2004, 07:58 PM
When I extract the m2a file using tytools I get an audio file that is MPEG 1, layer 2 audio file 48k Hz, 192 kbps.

Then I recode to audio CD using Blaze Media Pro set at
Bitrate 192
Channels stereo
Freq 48kHz

It seems that I am getting audio that is slightly lower in quality than the original dtivo recording. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Does the tytool demux to mpeg degrade the audio?

dasatelliteguy
08-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Why not just hookup your laptop (or desktop) directly to the RCA outputs on your Tivo and capture the input with your favorite audio editing software. Works great for me. No need to mess with extraction at all.