PDA

View Full Version : DVD length?

DanB35
08-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Using TyTool, I've managed to extract recorded video from my TiVo (an RCA DVR40), edit out the commercials, build a menu, and record the whole thing to DVD with Nero. Everything worked quite smoothly, a testament to jdiner's work on TyTool. However, I was surprised at how little space on the DVD is used. I recorded three episodes of Farscape (probably around 2 hours of video total, once the commercials were cut), and the DVD was only about half full--2230 MB or so used. I'm used to DVDs holding around 2 hours of video, which makes me wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. Is this normal, or do I need to change a setting somewhere?

malfunct
08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Using TyTool, I've managed to extract recorded video from my TiVo (an RCA DVR40), edit out the commercials, build a menu, and record the whole thing to DVD with Nero. Everything worked quite smoothly, a testament to jdiner's work on TyTool. However, I was surprised at how little space on the DVD is used. I recorded three episodes of Farscape (probably around 2 hours of video total, once the commercials were cut), and the DVD was only about half full--2230 MB or so used. I'm used to DVDs holding around 2 hours of video, which makes me wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. Is this normal, or do I need to change a setting somewhere?

DTV is far more compressed than normal DVD video. You are not doing anything wrong, you just get to benefit from the extra compression that is applied to the DTV channels. I've gotten as many as 21 southpark episodes on a single disk. Non animation takes more space but 4 hours is not unreasonable.

DanB35
08-17-2004, 10:16 AM
OK, good to know I'm not missing anything. Thanks!