PDA

View Full Version : Titles under your nickname

redstone
08-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I guess this is the right place to ask this question.

How is the name/title that shows up under your nickname derived at?

I see that mine changes around quite often and I know I have not changed it cause I see no way to set it oneself.

Thanks

malfunct
08-17-2004, 02:58 PM
I guess this is the right place to ask this question.

How is the name/title that shows up under your nickname derived at?

I see that mine changes around quite often and I know I have not changed it cause I see no way to set it oneself.

Thanks

Its based on post count.

lenroc
08-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Except that some members have custom titles.

I believe that used to be an option (when you reached a certain post count?), but it is no longer available.

JJBliss
08-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Both answers are correct

NutKase
08-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Both answers are correct

Of course, I've been a 'lowly' Senior Member for many posts... :)

Something happened when we redid the boards and some got left out of the upgrades.

Well... in my humble opinion, that had to happen :).

NutKase

JJBliss
08-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Fixed.

Believe it or not, you had custom titles turned on, and the custom title was 'Senior Member'.

All better now.

lenroc
08-18-2004, 12:04 AM
I miss having the option for custom titles, because that's where "... and this is your computer on drugs. Any questions?" was designed to go :-P

(It just doesn't flow as well in my .sig, and I can't get the IMG tag to work in my sig.... oh well.)

NutKase
08-18-2004, 01:53 AM
Fixed.

Believe it or not, you had custom titles turned on, and the custom title was 'Senior Member'.

All better now.

HaHa! ..figured as much, just didn't take the time to research, no biggie.

Heck, maybe I might miss the 'custom titles' :)

NutKase

JJBliss
08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
...just didn't take the time to research...

Now, do you think it's a good idea to admit something like that around here?
:p

NutKase
08-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Now, do you think it's a good idea to admit something like that around here?
:p

You got me :), though I did look for it myself... just thought it was something I couldn't control and didn't post about it.

AlphaWolf
08-19-2004, 05:06 PM
custom titles are gone for newer members? I never noticed. Why's that anyways? I like having my custom title :D

lenroc
08-19-2004, 05:42 PM
custom titles are gone for newer members?

Yup. Unless I don't know where to look (and/or haven't hit the necessary post count...).

Why's that anyways?

I know there was some discussion about David Bought having a custom title of "Moderator", but IIRC Custom Titles were already off for new members at that point...

*Goes to check...* Yup they were already off:http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148127#post148127

bato
08-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I had a custom title under my nickname but it got reset when the forum changed the look. I can't find an option to change that anymore.

AlphaWolf
08-19-2004, 06:31 PM
I know there was some discussion about David Bought having a custom title of "Moderator", but IIRC Custom Titles were already off for new members at that point...

Hmm...I tend to like it when you can customize your post profile a bit, it gives the forum more personality. (but I do get annoyed when people put too many colors and graphics and sh!t in either their messages or signatures, though nobody here has come close to going overboard that I have noticed)

IMO to prevent abuse, there should be both a minimum period of time and a minimum post count for somebody to deserve the ability to change their user text, avatars, etc (thus they are less likely to abuse it as well.) Maybe like one year and 500 posts? *shrug*

Well, either way, I would just like to see it return.

alldeadhomiez
08-19-2004, 07:12 PM

The default vB configuration censors the following words in the user title if you are not a mod/admin:

admin forum moderator vbulletin leader

Obviously there would be ways to construct a misleading title that doesn't involve these keywords, but there's no way for a normal user to add his name to the "forum leaders" page.

NutKase
08-19-2004, 10:17 PM
The default vB configuration censors the following words in the user title if you are not a mod/admin:

admin forum moderator vbulletin leader

Obviously there would be ways to construct a misleading title that doesn't involve these keywords, but there's no way for a normal user to add his name to the "forum leaders" page.

So are we saying that there ARE still custom title options available? Maybe I can become "Newbie script writer"

:)

If not, as was posted, can we turn them on again?

NutKase

lenroc
08-19-2004, 10:23 PM
I know there was some discussion about David Bought having a custom title of "Moderator"

Sorry, I misread. Someone said that his Custom Title of "Forum Janitor" made it look like he was a moderator. Bah.

nsysblh
08-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Could someone post the post counts and the names associated with them? I just gotta know how many more posts until I too can get the title of 'Forum Janitor'. Prolly about one short of 'Banned'.

I did some searching at vbulletin.org, but it all seemed to do with wanting to have forums that didn't add to post count. I guess they figure you already have the source if you are looking for help.

The LS1 forums have different things related to drag racing. On the tree, Grinding Gears, etc. as you go up in post count.

Update: Ok, I'll make an attempt to look at posts and figure it out. I didn't find all the breakpoints, but this appears to be all the names:

Member In Training. 1 - 9
Junior Member 10 - 17
Experienced Member. 19 - 29
Charter Member 32 - 91
Senior Member 101 - 465
Diamond Member 513 - 4342

Gromit
10-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Could someone post the post counts and the names associated with them? ... Update: Ok, I'll make an attempt to look at posts and figure it out. I didn't find all the breakpoints ...It's very easy if you look in the "members" list and sort by posts :) ...

Registered User 0
Member In Training. 1 - 9
Junior Member 10 - 19
Experienced Member. 20 - 29
Charter Member 30 - 99
Senior Member 100 - 499
Diamond Member 500 -Highest post count is 11,000 by FISHINLADY (she posts in the deals forums).

100 posts appears to have been the threshold where people could set a Custom User Title (when that was allowed).

Looks like you still get credit for deleted posts (e.g., there are "Junior Members" with 9 posts)

Fun stats:

~21,600 users currently (10/4/2004)

~13,170 (61%) have 0 posts.

~19,460 (90%) have 9 or fewer posts.

17 (less than 0.08%) have more than 1000 posts