PDA

View Full Version : Just won a DirecTivo! What to hack?

MNass
09-01-2001, 08:10 AM
I just found out yesterday I won a DirecTivo in an online contest. It is a Philips 6000 w/ lifetime Tivo service included. I would like to max the unit out with 2 100GB drives? Is this possible with the DirecTivo units? I was reading into it a few months ago and it seemed like it was not. I am hoping this has changed. If anyone can let me know, and hopefully point me in the right directions to a FAQ that would be excellent.

I was also wondering does this unit call out for the DirecTV portion of it's functionality? As a hypothetical, if the phone number I provided DirecTV, and temporarily plugged the unit in to to get operational on the DirecTV network, was different than the line I permanently plugged the unit in to to dial out to Tivo.... What will happen in this situation? I have a valid subscription to DirecTV, and will have a valid subscription to Tivo, but I do not want DirecTV talking to my box! Will my box call DirecTV on its own? Will they know my unit is plugged in to the "wrong" phone line?

Thanks,

Mike

Worf
09-02-2001, 03:35 AM
TiVoMad currently doesn't work for the DirecTiVos. As for your DirecTV thing, it talks to DirecTV the same way as your DirecTV box talks to DirecTV.

I believe it uses two separate calls - one foe TiVo daily, the other for DirecTV.

In any case, since you already have a prepaid subscription for the TiVo, what you can do is keep the phone line away from the TiVo, and every week or so make a call. (You could run fixup, but since you're in the clear on everything legally, you might as well enjoy it).

Of course, if you're using an emulator, just be aware that since DirecTV has a rather large partnership (read: control) over the DirecTiVos... they could force the informatoin out of TiVo, so if you're planning on doing that, just be aware.

Neutronflux
09-11-2001, 12:30 AM
Worf is that you [from avs?] if so this is SPEED! Nice to have you aboard!!!

Neutron out
:D

Worf
09-11-2001, 01:06 AM
Yeah, it's me. Some very good information in this forum, that isn't mirrored elsewhere on other forums. Image FTP - great to have (I've checked it out, but never downloaded anything - save the bandwidth for people who need it). Heck, I've referenced materials here in other forums (including AVS). As in "I can't help you here, but you might want to check out the forums at dealdatabase.com ...".

Anyhow, dealdatabase.com is the first site I visit before purchasing anything online. There's no reason to ever pay regular price - there's always a promotional code to use.

[Certainly takes the wind out of those "Sign up now and get xxx discount at yyy!" - those codes are posted].

Neutronflux
09-12-2001, 11:01 PM
Hey Worf, I'd hardly call you a "junior member" =] but I'm not in charge!

Yeah, I have to say, this is a great site -- amazing people and more freedom to talk about serious hacks...

KUDOS!