PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a noob

lunchm3at
08-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Just got a used 212 from ebay... Appears virgin.. Has 3.0 on it.. unsubbed ATM..

Serial starts with 002... Can I legally downgrade to 1.3 then to remove the sub nags?

lenroc
08-20-2004, 02:56 AM
That's service theft.

lunchm3at
08-20-2004, 09:26 AM
That's service theft.

I have seen several knee **** responses like this on tivo forums... I guess I only attended public schools but I dont see how any of what i posted is service theft (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theft) .

I may be circumventing Tivos business model but I didnt buy my Tivo new or from Tivo. I have never had any relationship with Tivo. Tivos business model is not my problem.

If you dont want to respond concerning me building my own slices then feel free not to... but dont just sit there and accuse people of being theives.

LOL.. I guess J.E.R.K. is a bad word here eh? :)

Lowcarb
08-20-2004, 10:21 AM
I have seen several knee **** responses like this on tivo forums...
The you shoul be used to them by now :p

It is so refreshing to see a noob cop an attitude on his 2nd post. Way to go!
Don't pussy foot around.

eastwind
08-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Just got a used 212 from ebay... Appears virgin.. Has 3.0 on it.. unsubbed ATM..

Serial starts with 002... Can I legally downgrade to 1.3 then to remove the sub nags? If so do I need to find some kind soul with a 1.3 image?

Secondly.. I want to try my hand at building slices with XMLTV. Seems the utils for this are all tied up in this tivo_canada CVS for Canadians only...

Would some kinda soul either PM me the CVS password or some other location hosting the stuff?

headend-utils
guidedir
xmltv2tivo
n4zmz-emu

Obviously I am not Canadian and so was denied access to the group.

Thank you for any help. I am not interested in subbing my tivo just yet.. wanna see what I can do first ;o)
I think that the Canadians don't want the information freely availible to every Tom, Dick & Harry because they like being able to generate their own data (and don't want TiVo to shut everything down) and because they don't have TiVo service availible to them. This forum doesn't allow any discussion of service theft from DTV or TiVo because a) we want TiVo to stay around and they can't do that if they can't sell their service, b) it keeps the forum under the radar and allows us to talk about the other hacks we're doing without incurring the wrath of TiVo's software developers, and c) because it's wrong (not sure exactly if this is a reason or not). For these reasons you might find it hard to get help with your request since the primary reason for generating your own slices for most people that lack the skills to do it on their own would be to steal service from TiVo (by subbing one TiVo and rebuilding the slices for their other four. While building slices from XMLTV doesn't fall into that catagory, it's for these reasons that the process isn't discussed.
The information is out there, but you probably need to find it on your own.
These are only my interpretations and any conclusions you draw are your own responibility.

ew

my0gr81
08-20-2004, 01:19 PM
You don't have to agree with the business model or have a relationship with TIVO as long as you don't use their products or services. bottom line you know have a box designed by TIVO, manufactured by a third party under licence from TIVO and marketed by TIVO as being a "component" of a service model where the guide data required to operate the box comes from a subscrition to TIVO. If you don't agree with that, resell the box to recoup your costs and that's it.

As far as Canadians, Australians TIVO setups, TIVO does not sell services in thos countries hence, the need to go generate the guides and the emulators. If and when TIVO enters those markets any questions related to the legitimacy of this arrangements would have a very clear answer "Don't do it and get a subscription"

As far as your overall attitude of entitlement and self righteous, I reserve my comments. You did start the insults, so prepare to be flammed accordingly.

rc3105
08-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Can I legally downgrade to 1.3 then to remove the sub nags?

NO

j*e*r*k is one of the defaults in vbulletin's prohibited words list (*gee, wonder why?)

alldeadhomiez
08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I have seen several knee **** responses like this on tivo forums... I guess I only attended public schools but I dont see how any of what i posted is service theft (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theft) .

I may be circumventing Tivos business model but I didnt buy my Tivo new or from Tivo. I have never had any relationship with Tivo. Tivos business model is not my problem.

If you dont want to respond concerning me building my own slices then feel free not to... but dont just sit there and accuse people of being theives.

LOL.. I guess J.E.R.K. is a bad word here eh? :)

You're probably not aware of it if you don't have the tools, but the authors specifically prohibit you from using them to get free service anywhere you can legally pay for TiVo service.

Obviously we will not be able to stop you if you are using the tools in violation of the license, but we also don't condone those discussions here because it is not in the community's best interest (on several levels) to assist in cutting off TiVo's revenue stream.

Moved to Sewer.