PDA

View Full Version : Video Storage and Playback on the new HR10-250

redstone
08-25-2004, 07:39 AM
In the "Video extraction for the HR 10-250" thread,
rc3105 has tossed out some intriguing ideas here:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180975&postcount=371

for ways of storing and playing back extracted data from the HDTIVO.

The discussion started because some folks (like me) prefer using D-VHS tapes for the High Def material because 1) There are no such things as a Standalone High Def DVD player(yet) and 2) there is no waiting 1.5 hours to ftp a feature length movies back into the HDTIVO when you want to atch a movie. Other's want nothing to do with D-VHS tapes.

This brings up a whole host of questions such as:
How does one even get started ?
What bandwidth would one get on a USB 2.0 connected disk/dvd or xbox ?
How could one force the HDTIVO to show the "Now Playing" list such that it includes programming on an external drive or a NAS?
Can the HDTIVO start playing back the data before it is completely transferred back in when doing an ftp?

etc.

rc3105
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
> How does one even get started ?

read the threads from 2+ years ago when extract to disk (oversized var) or network mount (samba / nfs) was the norm. usb is SO much easier than fighting with buggy samba modules...

> What bandwidth would one get on a USB 2.0 connected disk/dvd or xbox ?

alldeadhomies has reported 6 meg or so netcat transfers across usb2 network adapters but that was reading from /dev/zero or writing to /dev/null. practical transfer rates will be slower. generally see about 2 meg second here

> How could one force the HDTIVO to show the "Now Playing" list such that it includes programming on an external drive or a NAS?

piece of cake. take a look at any of the scripts that monitor remote keypresses & invoke mfs_ftp in the background. some are patches, some are seperate utils. Sanderton's stuff should work on 3.x s2 with minimal adjustments

> Can the HDTIVO start playing back the data before it is completely transferred back in when doing an ftp?

yep, check mfs_ftp readme. there's a streamview option for just that purpose

redstone
08-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all those useful tips.

I may have to revisit the D-VHS idea because I am having a hard time getting a perfect dump to tape.

I finally made what I thought was a perfect tape but when I watched it last night, it would play for 20 minutes and then start to pixelate. Pause/Play fixed it for another 20 minutes. Seems like the decoder was slowly drifting or something.
It is also a tedious process.
HDtyool .VOB./mpg --->VLC .ts ---->TStoATSC .ts ----> Dvhstool

VLC blows up due to a memory leak on about half of the files I tried so it is a crapshooot.

The idea of a USB Dual Layer DVD drive hooked to the HDTIVO and streaming a recording may be the best solution.
If one can get a data rate over the USB connection for streaming into the TIVO that exeeds the 'consumption' rate of the TIVO, this would work.

I am getting around 1.6 MByte/second when using Tserver in Tytool. I am hoping that the slow speed is due to the already busy processor handling the protocol stack and will be faster with a USB drive with the serial protocol.

Time to install and start using mfs tools to try the streaming that you mentioned.

Cheezmo
08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
There is a usb-storage.o in /lib/modules. Seems like a place to start.

redstone
08-27-2004, 11:02 AM
> Can the HDTIVO start playing back the data before it is completely transferred back in when doing an ftp?

yep, check mfs_ftp readme. there's a streamview option for just that purpose

I suppose this could be considered an mfs_ftp post but the HDTIVO is a different animal because of the High def content so I amposting in here.

I found nothing on any streamview option - can you elaborate?

I did try this:
Started an upload of a High Def .ty+ file into the .ty+ directory ,waited a few minutes and started playing back from the HDTIVO.

The TIVO caught up and I guess since the pointers are not correct when this happens, it started showing a deleted program.

As much as I tweaked the TCP/IP parameters, the best I could achieve was 1/2 Megabyte per second download.
I normally get ~1.8 Megabytes/second upload speed.

Not sure what speed is required to keep up with the TIVO playback but since the ATSC spec is 19.2, I would assume it is in the 2 Megabyte/second range.

Any ideas/comments?

redstone
08-27-2004, 11:05 AM
There is a usb-storage.o in /lib/modules. Seems like a place to start.

I saw that and am trying to find out more info on that.

Thanks

rc3105
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I suppose this could be considered an mfs_ftp post but the HDTIVO is a different animal because of the High def content so I amposting in here.

I found nothing on any streamview option - can you elaborate?

search the readme for "streamview" and "bjuggle"

in /var/mfs_ftp/setting.tcl changing bjuggle from 0 to 1 tells mfs_ftp to simulate remote commands that exit the playback to nowshowing, set a bookmark, then re-enter the recording after the next segment is allocated. this only pops up if you're watching the recording as it inserts AND it's a tmf being inserted

8 gig/hr is a bit over 2 meg/sec so if you can't sustain that insert rate you'll need to give the recording a head start

borghe
08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
ok, I attached a USB storage device. here's what you do:

if you want to format the drive with FAT32 make sure you format it first. if you want it formatted as ext2fs then you will do it during this process

make sure usbcore and ehci-hcd are loaded (which if you are using ethernet they already are and if you are using serial you probably know how to do).

Then load scsi_mod (MUST be loaded before usb-storage), usb-storage, and sd_mod. if the drive you are using is FAT32 you must also load the fat and vfat modules.

next if you want the drive formatted as ext2fs grab pdisk from tivoutils and create partitions on sda. there is support for up to 4 partitions in the Tivo kernel on a scsi device. then run mke2fs on the partition(s) you created.

mount the partition(s) somewhere appropriate. copy files with mfs_stream as you see fit.

I did and tested all of these steps with a compactflash card in a 6-in-1 reader no less.. I copied files back and forth and checked things out on my pc.. this is the real deal. I formatted the flash card with FAT32 from windows as well as ext2fs while connected to the Tivo.

welcome to external USB storage on your lovely HD Tivo. Enjoy.

borghe
08-31-2004, 10:24 PM
edited the above post with updated FAT32 info.. guess I should have tested EVERYTHING before I posted.. :p

The series 2 instructions should be very similar though I don't actually own nor have ever used a series 2 so I can't really give exact instructions.

borghe
09-01-2004, 09:27 AM
oh, I forgot, the drive devices it sets up are /dev/sda through /dev/sdd with 4 primary partitions each. If you want more drives or logical partitions you will need a mips compiled makdev to create them in the /dev directory first.

So if you do the above steps with a drive with one partition on it, you will mount /dev/sda1. The second partition on that drive (if there was one) would be /dev/sda2, and so forth. Your second drive (haven't tested this) would be /dev/sdb and the first partition would be /dev/sdb1. I know this stuff is pretty basic but this is to just fend off posts asking what and where the drives are after the steps above are done.

SR712
09-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Are you able to attach/unattach devices without the unit rebooting?

borghe
09-01-2004, 10:18 AM
yes. I didn't try disconnecting the drives without umount 'ing them first, but each drive was disconnected after a umount without any problem.

borghe
09-01-2004, 06:03 PM
last but not least, here is a VERY quick script I threw together. Note I have no real experience in Tcl and a bit of this is HEAVILY plagarized from mfs_ftp.tcl (if that's ok riley). This script takes a show fsid and writes it out to /mnt which in my case is where /dev/sda1 is mounted. If you want to use this but have no clue about what this does, at the very least you will need to change the /var/hack/mfs_ftp directory entires to where you actually have mfs_ftp installed and change the /mnt directory to the directory where you have your USB drive mounted. Oh, and obviously this requires mfs_ftp to be installed to work.

Anyway, it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate this into a TivoWeb module that culls the show fsid instead of requiring manual entry. It also shouldn't be too hard to parse your mount table and allow it to write to a /dev/sd[x] entry of your choice with radio buttons. The restore feature could just do an ls of all of your external mounts and you select the ones you want to restore.. I might work on this but probably won't.. Just figured I would give it a shot and see what I came up with.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBLITY FOR WHAT THIS DOES TO YOUR TIVO IF DONE WRONG. It worked on mine. YMMV.

#!/tvbin/tivosh
global argv

set recfsid [lindex $argv 0]
set timezone [catvar "/var/hack/mfs_ftp/tzoffset.txt"]
set timezone [string trim [string range $timezone [expr [string first ")" $timezone] + 2] [string length $timezone]]]
set xml "/var/hack/mfs_ftp/cache/$recfsid.xml"
set parts [catvar /var/hack/mfs_ftp/cache/$recfsid.pts]
set xmldata [catvar /var/hack/mfs_ftp/cache/$recfsid.xml]
set title [string range $xmldata [expr [string first "<Title>" $xmldata] + 7] [expr [string first "</Title>" $xmldata] - 1] ]
set episode [string range $xmldata [expr [string first "<EpisodeTitle>" $xmldata] + 14] [expr [string first "</EpisodeTitle>" $xmldata] - 1] ]
set airdate [string range $xmldata [expr [string first "<StartDate>" $xmldata] + 11 ] [expr [string first "</StartDate>" $xmldata] - 1] ]
set airtime [string range $xmldata [expr [string first "<Time>" $xmldata] + 6 ] [expr [string first "</Time>" $xmldata] - 1] ]
set airdate [expr $airdate * 86400 + $timezone + $airtime]
set airtime [clock format $airdate -format "%2m-%2d-%y %I.%2M%p"]
set outfile "{$title}{$episode}{$airtime}.tmf"
open "|/var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_tarstream -x -s -o \"/mnt/$outfile\" $parts < $xml 2>/dev/null "

redstone
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
yes. I didn't try disconnecting the drives without umount 'ing them first, but each drive was disconnected after a umount without any problem.

What kind of data rate did you get with this USB device?

borghe
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
will have to do thorough testing later but right now it "seems" faster than ftp... don't quote me on that.. will post some better numbers when I have time (probably not tonight).

redstone
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
will have to do thorough testing later but right now it "seems" faster than ftp... don't quote me on that.. will post some better numbers when I have time (probably not tonight).

Since you said you did this on a non series 2, I assume that also means not the HDTVO so could you please post your ftp read/write speeds and the usb read/write speeds - when you get to it.

I have the HDTIVO and everyone is reporting around ~1.6 to 1.8 Mbytes/second Upload speed and about half that for download.
So, I am very curious as to whether the usb device is faster for doing streaming.

Thanks

borghe
09-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I did this on an HD Tivo. by series 2's I was referring to non-HD Tivos. I don't have one so I don't know what modules are included on those boxes. I don't want to tell people to load all of these modules on a series 2 box only to find some of them aren't even on there.

On my HD Tivo (the box I am doing all of this on) I generally see ethernet download speeds of 1.5-1.7M depending on what I have recording (I usually don't turn to music channels). I haven't uploaded anything to the Tivo yet.

Before I test the throughput it would probably also be wise to get a decent drive.. Right now I am doing this on old crappy hard drives and USB compactflash readers. Hardly the peak of data throughput performance. Once I can hook up a good hard drive with a good IDE->USB chipset I will feel better about doing some time testing.

Hopefully that will be in the next couple days.

redstone
09-03-2004, 05:15 PM
ok, I attached a USB storage device.

copy files with mfs_stream as you see fit.

Followed your instructions on my HDTIVO and it works great - thanks.

The only read/write USB device I currently have is a USB 2.0 Sandisk for my Compactflash card's.

I can telnet in, mount the device and copy to/from the CFC.

The CFC's that I use are the really high speed kind that my Nikon D70 requires and I want to do a transfer speed benchmark of a recording to the CFC.

What partition # are the TIVO recordings in?
I assume you said to use mfs_stream to copy the recordings?
If true, how do you to use mfs_stream to do such?

Thanks for any help.

borghe
09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
look at (or cut/paste) my script on the previous page. you basically have to use mfs_stream -s -x -o [outputfile] [parts...] < [xmlfile] xmlfile is just the showfsid.xml located in the cache directory of mfs_ftp. outputfile is the fully pathed file you want to write (i.e. pathed to your mount point).. parts is where it becomes tricky.. a half hour HD show can be as many as 9 parts. full hour on satellite 12-14. two hour show OTA and you could be looking at over 30 parts. my script on the previous page simply parses the showfsid.pts file and fills in the blanks.

also remember, if you use FAT32 you will probably run into problems with files over 2GB and files over 4GB will just fail. you will need to either partition your drive with ext2fs (easy way) or compile a module for ntfs support and use it with a 2000/XP/2003 box. I am not sure if tivo-linux will support files over 2GB but I will for now assume it will (will test more tonight after I get my drive).

redstone
09-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Sorry, should have tried your script first. I had just skimmed over that post.

I am trying your script and I do get a file on my USB device whose name is a valid recorded show. However, the file is 0 bytes in length.

When I type it in manually, it outputs the below message and then just sits there:

Priority set...
checking /usb_device/{Leave It to Beaver}{Forgotten Party}{09-03-04 04.30PM}.tmf
for :

Any ideas?

borghe
09-04-2004, 12:40 AM
one thing to watch for is that my scripts will finish immediately. The open command is executed outside of the context of the script. So even though the script is done the file might still be writing. Half-assed I know but I through it together in under half an hour.

First make sure you have the correct locations for mfs_ftp.. they are in a couple places (yeah, I should have just done a global, again it was quick)

next, make sure mfs_stream is running with a ps ax

thiurd, amke sure you have enough space on the device

if all of that is true and after 5-10 seconds nothing is being written to the device, manually copy a file over and make sure it copies. after that let me know how it went.

redstone
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM
if all of that is true and after 5-10 seconds nothing is being written to the device, manually copy a file over and make sure it copies. after that let me know how it went.

You did mean to say mfs_tarstream NOT mfs_stream - correct?

The 0 byte problem was that I was trying to copy a file that was too big for the flash card - I assumed that it would just write what it could.

Anyway, I still am having no luck.

I CAN copy a file via the cp command onto the flash card. I don't know which partition the recordings are saved on so I merely copied a file from /bin to the flash card (mounted at /usb_device) - works fine.

I then made a very short recording of 180Mbytes to try out.

I run the script and 41 Mbytes (instead of the 180) end up on the flash card and the program hangs.

If I try to do a df, it hangs when it goes to display the usb device.

I wonder if Riley has any idea of why this only seems to copy (for me ) x Mbytes and then hangs?

See enclosed screen snapshot for what I am describing.

PID 386 is the script.

EDIT: Disconnected the USB 2.0 flash card read/writer from the TIVO and hooked it back up to my XP system. There is a 32 Mbyte file on the card with the correct file name.

Thanks

rc3105
09-04-2004, 11:07 AM
I wonder if Riley has any idea of why this only seems to copy (for me ) x Mbytes and then hangs?
sorry, not a clue. workin fine here with usb drives :D

redstone
09-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Gave on trying to use mfs_tarstream with the CFC so I connected an 80Gbyte USB 2.0 disk to the TIVO.

That did the trick.

Formatted it with Fat32 and I am getting around the same transfer rate as with FTP. A 180 Megabyte file took around 4 minutes to copy.

I noticed the write indicator light on the drive was OFF for long periods of time during the copy.

Also, since NTFS is not supported by the Tivo's kernel, we are stuck with the 2Gbyte size limit.

Conclusion:
Due to the transfer speed and the 2GB limit, using a USB disk is not a practical method for use with the HDTIVO for extracting.

The disk is very fast on the PC but not on the TIVO.

Interesting experiment anyway.

borghe
09-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I am crash coursing in cross compiling for Tivo-linux.. I am hoping to have nfs and ntfs modules built today or tomorrow.. though from the kernel configure it looks as if writing to ntfs is somewhat buggy.

borghe
09-04-2004, 06:28 PM
if you are using FAT32, that's your problem.. I would personally use ext2fs on the removable storage.. and it would still be plug and play in other linux systems.

as for the practical application behind it, you have to think outside the box.. no manually typing a command line or script may not be as practical as ftping back and forth, but what about a Tivoweb module that will automagically parse connected storage and give you a pseudo now showing list that with the click of a link will restore to your tivo from the storage.. or even better, an osd now showing list with the same thing being done with remote keypresses, and if the recordings are unscrambled you should even be able to streamview.

with what's been posted here as is it isn't very practical, but with a little tcl programming you could make some form of archiving that is virtually transparent.. not to mention stacking the drives, or stacking a hard drive and a double layer DVD+R and compiling dvdrecord for tivo and archiving an hour at a time to dual layer DVD+R to be restored from later..

so it may be unpractical for you as shown in the thread, but there are MANY applications for this.. SD Tivos were fine when you could load them up with 2x120GB drives and have 220 hours or so of storage.. but my HD Tivo only has 63 hours of space on it.. every extra GB I can muster is worth it.

redstone
09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
I changed borghe's script to use exec instead of open. This causes the script to block until the mfs_tarstream is done.

This way, I was able to have the script output the time before and after mfs_tarstream runs.

I need to run this same test again to see if it is a repeatable value but here was what I found:

A one hour High Def movie that I have is reported by Tytool to be 5605 MB.

This one hour (5.6GB) movie took 1 hour & 20 minutes to copy to the attached USB 2.0 disk on the Tivo using mfs_tarstream.

I will edit when the second run completes.

BTW, anyone know where I can find a 64 bit version of ls and rm compiled for the Mips series 2?

borghe
09-08-2004, 12:33 PM
yeah, I believe exec was what was originally in mfs_ftp and then it would set priority on it.. I would have preferred to do that (and you could possibly get a few more bits per second on the transfer doing it) but like I said.. I have no practical experience with Tcl and just did what worked.. :P

as for the files, you can try cross compiling rs and ls.. I can't right now but might try later.. the source for them is on tivo's site (www.tivo.com/linux) it is the cmd file.

blueman2
10-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Redstone,

I am trying to get USB2.0 drive working with my Tivo. It is FAT32 right now. I loaded the following:

insmod /lib/modules/scsi_mod.o
insmod /lib/modules/usb-storage.o
insmod /lib/modules/sd_mod.o
insmod /lib/modules/fat.o
insmod /lib/modules/vfat.o

all took just fine. But I cannot mound /dev/sda. fdisk also shows nothing there. How did you mount the FAT32 drive?

redstone
10-24-2004, 04:04 AM
Redstone,

I am trying to get USB2.0 drive working with my Tivo. It is FAT32 right now. I loaded the following:

insmod /lib/modules/scsi_mod.o
insmod /lib/modules/usb-storage.o
insmod /lib/modules/sd_mod.o
insmod /lib/modules/fat.o
insmod /lib/modules/vfat.o

all took just fine. But I cannot mound /dev/sda. fdisk also shows nothing there. How did you mount the FAT32 drive?

All I did was make a mount point:
mkdir /usb_device

and then mounted the disk and double checked:
mount /dev/sdaX /usb_device
df -h

The X is because I forget what value it actually was and I can not look it up for you now because I am using the external USB disk on my PC formatted as NTFS because it was useless for the TIVO.
IE. Not any faster than merely uploading via the network and the 4 GB limit with FAT32 required either ext2fs or NTFS which are incompatible between the Tivo and the Windows PC

blueman2
10-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Well, by reloading all my drivers with the backported 2.4.27 version, I can now see my USB external drive. I still am not able to mount a FAT or FAT32 drive, but I can see it with pdisk. I loaded fat.o and vfat.o, but no help. So, I decided to try with ext2fs, and it works fine. I can mount, read, and write.

Now, for compatibility with WIndows XP, I was going to try this program:

ext2fsd (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd)

which apparently lets you mount ext2fs drives in Windows XP.

I will report back.

blueman2
10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, the ext2fsd program on sourceforge works!!!! I can read ext2 formated disks just fine on my XP machine. It is totally plug and play. Just unplug the USB device from the Tivo (no rebooting necessary) and plug into your XP machine. XP instantly recognizes it and you have full access to the ext2 file system. It says it also supports writing to the ext2 file system, but I have not enabled that feature yet.

So, clearly, the way to go with external USB drives for Tivo is ext2 file system. Very cool!

redstone
10-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, the ext2fsd program on sourceforge works!!!! I can read ext2 formated disks just fine on my XP machine.

So, clearly, the way to go with external USB drives for Tivo is ext2 file system. Very cool!

That is cool.
I just wish the speed to the disk over the USB 2.0 I/F was greater than the network speed or this would have been a GREAT way to quickly extract from the TIVO and then post process on the PC.

Trusted-1
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Searched for this but found no related threads... Maybe Riley or Jamie has an answer...

Is it possible to use a USB hard drive to make a direct image backup of a TiVo drive?

The application is to back up a stand alone Pioneer 810H (250gb) with a bunch of home movies & stuff that I'd like to make a full backup of since the hard drive WILL fail at some point.

Can I use the connection info previously posted to attach an external drive and dd the entire 250gb image to a new 250gb drive for a backup?

If this has already been done, lease let me know if there are any tricks to it or if there are any pitfalls to avoid.

Thanks, Trusted-1

rc3105
08-29-2005, 06:50 PM
load the usb storage modules

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/scsi_mod.o
/bin/sleep 1
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/sd_mod.o
/bin/sleep 1
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/sr_mod.o
/bin/sleep 1
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/usb-storage.o

then the usb drive should be accessable as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd. (sometimes the storage modules get confused & try to map an ethernet adapter or hub as storage, then the drive gets bumped back a letter or two)

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=1024k

will clone the drive but it'll take a while and the tivo needs to be inactive/nonfunctional so the drive doesn't change while it's being copied

/test.conf
export handcraft=true

will config the tivo to boot without loading myworld & such

--

that said, there are two major drawback to this method.

the tivo can't be used during the process and it's slow. pulling the drive to perform an ide-ide dump via pc will finish in hours instead of days

a regular mfstool backup without recordings will only require about 250 MEG vs 250 GIG

Trusted-1
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Riley,

Thanks a bunch for the update.

This is not my main TiVo so being out of service for a backup is not an issue but I have a question or two you might know the answers to.

I want to periodically back it up shows and all (without pulling the drive if practical) so if the original source tapes (VHS/8MM) are gone and the 250gb drive fails, I will still have a backup. Making DVDs on the 810H does not seem like a bad idea either but I'm using the 810H like a library for this material and it would be inconvenient to have to store the originals and transfer them back on when the drive fails.

Does this seem like a reasonable method?

Do you know if the process is dependent on the processor speed or is it limited by the drives/usb speed (or "D" all of the above)?

Another option would be to use a removeable cage and pull the drive to dd regular backups but how much quicker do you think that might be?

Is this code:

/test.conf
export handcraft=true

a file named [test.conf] in the root directory with only the line [export handcraft=true] and do I need to rename any of the other init files so they don't run?

Is there any command that will confirm the correct device port (/dev/sdx) without the drive being formatted?

Thanks for your expertise... I appreciate your help.

Trusted-1

rc3105
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Riley,

Thanks a bunch for the update.

This is not my main TiVo so being out of service for a backup is not an issue but I have a question or two you might know the answers to.

I want to periodically back it up shows and all (without pulling the drive if practical) so if the original source tapes (VHS/8MM) are gone and the 250gb drive fails, I will still have a backup. Making DVDs on the 810H does not seem like a bad idea either but I'm using the 810H like a library for this material and it would be inconvenient to have to store the originals and transfer them back on when the drive fails.

Does this seem like a reasonable method?

dd cloning is reasonable if you don't mind dedicating a drive or you need the ability to instant-restore by swapping drives

Do you know if the process is dependent on the processor speed or is it limited by the drives/usb speed (or "D" all of the above)?

Another option would be to use a removeable cage and pull the drive to dd regular backups but how much quicker do you think that might be?

biggest bottleneck is the speed of the tivo usb ports, 4~5 megabytes per second should be achievable with a handcraft=true tivo. ide-ide transfers (or even usb-usb) on a pc should run around 30 megabytes per second so a removable drive sled would definatly speed things up.

Is this code:

/test.conf
export handcraft=true

a file named [test.conf] in the root directory with only the line [export handcraft=true] and do I need to rename any of the other init files so they don't run?

that's just one way to stop myworld from loading. could also change the boot parameters to something like this

root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 handcraft=true
or add a "export handcraft=true" line near the beginning of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. shouldn't need to mess with the other init files

Riley,
Is there any command that will confirm the correct device port (/dev/sdx) without the drive being formatted?

not so much, but "pdisk -l /dev/sda" will show the partition map after cloning. the dd transfer from hda to sda will error out fairly quickly if the hd is actually on sdb,c or d

jerrymc
03-14-2006, 03:15 PM
I changed borghe's script to use exec instead of open. This causes the script to block until the mfs_tarstream is done.

This way, I was able to have the script output the time before and after mfs_tarstream runs.

I need to run this same test again to see if it is a repeatable value but here was what I found:

A one hour High Def movie that I have is reported by Tytool to be 5605 MB.

This one hour (5.6GB) movie took 1 hour & 20 minutes to copy to the attached USB 2.0 disk on the Tivo using mfs_tarstream.

I will edit when the second run completes.

BTW, anyone know where I can find a 64 bit version of ls and rm compiled for the Mips series 2?

Has anyone benchmarked the insert speed over the USB using ext2fs formatted drives? From all I've read, it appears that redstone needed compatibility with his PC so FAT32 was his only choice. Blueman found a prog for XP to read and write ext2 disks, but I didn't see any new benchmarks posted. Has this been done?

I'm interested in streaming HiDef video from a USB disk to my HR10. Obviously I'd like the data rate to exceed the consumption rate of the Tivo (about 2.2MB/sec). Before I reinvent the wheel, does anyone know whether >2.2MB/sec data rate is attainable with an ext2 drive using Riley's mfs_tarstream?

If ext2fs won't do it, what about XFS? How feasible would it be to add XFS support to the Tivo kernel? I know mainstream Linux kernels didn't include it until 2.5 or later, but what would be the potential challenges in doing this?

-Jerry

wanggen
02-04-2007, 12:47 AM
First let me say thanks for the help in setting up a usb drive. I have been able to mount a thumb drive with no problem, but when I mount my external hard drive I get the following error.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, or too many mounted file systems

I have tried fat32, ext2, and even fat16. If I run pdisk it doesn't see a partition table. I created the partions and formated them with a windows box. I usually don't ask for help but I'm confused and stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

lenoxb
02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
... I created the partions and formated them with a windows box.

When you connect the drive to the windows box, bring up My Computer, right click on the drive and select "Properties," what does the Windows dialog tell you for "File System?"

Jamie
02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
First let me say thanks for the help in setting up a usb drive. I have been able to mount a thumb drive with no problem, but when I mount my external hard drive I get the following error.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, or too many mounted file systems

I have tried fat32, ext2, and even fat16. If I run pdisk it doesn't see a partition table. I created the partions and formated them with a windows box. I usually don't ask for help but I'm confused and stuck. Any help would be appreciated.pdisk isn't going to see a windows (aka msdos) partition table. You'd want to use fdisk for that. Or you might want to use the bare device with no partition table.

wanggen
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the clarification with pdisk.
So I created a partition with fdisk and used mkext2fs from a knoppix cd to setup my external drive. I can see it in windows with ext2fsd, but I get the same error message when tring to mount the drive on the tivo. If I create the partition and format with the tivo I can see and mount the drive but I am unable to access it with my windows computer. So confused...:confused:
Can I format the drive as fat32 on the tivo?

wanggen
02-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok so I can create a sda1 partition with a linux os and format it to ext2 and see it on my windows computer with no problem using ext2fs. Then I connect it to my tivo. I can then see the drive on sda (using dmesg) but the tivo doesn't see the partition. Mounting sda1 says no such device and mounting sda gives the error.
If I create the partition with pdisk and format it on the tivo, it creates a partition on sda not sda1. I can mount the sda partition on the tivo and add files but it is unaccessable on any other computer. Am I missing something? Is it possible that I have the wrong modules?

Thanks for your help