PDA

View Full Version : Delete last post in thread if it is yours

nsysblh
09-01-2004, 07:04 AM
I noticed on another board that there is an option to delete your own post, apparently if and only if it is the last one in the thread. Once there is something posted below it, the option goes away.

That sounds like a good option for here. I know I have replied in a thread, only to realize the reply didn't really belong in that thread, and to then realize there is nothing I could do about it myself. I'd personally not like to lower the SNR here, but sometimes it isn't obvious until you reread your post in the context of the thread. Anything that lets me keep myself in check can only help the community. The other option is 'say nothing'. But sometimes that submit button seems to want to be clicked.

lenroc
09-01-2004, 05:05 PM
You can edit your post down to near-nothing.

Say, something like this:

Mods, please feel free to delete

That's:

[ SIZE=1][ COLOR=SlateGray]Mods, please feel free to delete[ /COLOR][ /SIZE]

(Just take the spaces out of the "[ ]" tags...)

nsysblh
09-01-2004, 07:38 PM
You can edit your post down to near-nothing.

I guess that is the next best thing to removing it.

lenroc
09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I guess that is the next best thing to removing it.

Yup. It's definitely better than leaving a question that you've already found the answer to ;)

rc3105
09-02-2004, 02:38 AM
if you ask a question & then find an answer and are worried enough about the s/n ratio to delete your own post, why not provide a link to the answer you found instead??? ;)

(btw, I routinely delete/edit my old posts if someone else has posted the correct answer, otherwise I'd be at 20k+ by now...)

nsysblh
09-02-2004, 10:19 AM
if you ask a question & then find an answer and are worried enough about the s/n ratio to delete your own post, why not provide a link to the answer you found instead??? ;)

(btw, I routinely delete/edit my old posts if someone else has posted the correct answer, otherwise I'd be at 20k+ by now...)

I wasn't talking about questions. I'll definately edit a post where I've asked a question and add an answer when I find one. Or, I'll make up an answer and add it, if it appears to be useful.

I meant inadvertent thread hijacking that is only readily apparent after the post is submitted. Kinda like... oh crap, this doesn't belong here....I wonder where is does belong...I dunno, I'll just delete it so I don't have to make someone else clean it up for me... kind of thing.

rc3105
09-02-2004, 09:29 PM
a post that's been edited down to

"whoops, nevermind, mods please delete"

will usually vanish quick enough. keep in mind that with the new forum sw new posts go out in e-mail to everyone subscribed to the thread