PDA

View Full Version : Guess I will ask this here (Sewer) as I am sure it will end up here...

lunchm3at
09-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Just curious...

I have read as much as I can find about guidedir,what the TivoCanada ppl and the Aussies do..

Has anyone tried do do all this on the Tivo? Parse listings, build slices, etc?

I have tried to do the research but havent stumbled onto anyone saying they tried and failed or succeeded or whatever. My guess is that the box just doesnt have the hardware(CPU/RAM/ETC) for it.... But again confirmation would be nice.

For myself anyway my Tivo does nothing all night long (I dont need hours of infomercials) so it does sit somewhat idle.

Any info would be appreciated.

rc3105
09-08-2004, 07:53 AM
a few meg of guide data?

surely I'm not the only person that's used much less powerfull computers like the c-64, ibm pc-jr, 486, or pentium 75 to do real work? (linux on a 2 meg 386-sx is slow, but it's still plenty usefull *cough*firewall*cough*)

(nearly) everyone with the braincells to figure it out is smart enough to keep their mouth shut ;)

in any case, guide data discussion is off limits here to avoid hurting tivo & getting us sued out of existance

philhu
09-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I actually attempted this a few years back. I installed perl on the tivo and tried running the getpages/parsepages stuff.

Getpages took 5+ hours

Parsepages never finished, after 72 hours, it crashed. You see, it requires alot of physical memory, the old series 1 did not have. Seems it took 200+ meg to parse the listings back then. It would be worse now!

Just an historical FYI

mrblack51
09-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I actually attempted this a few years back. I installed perl on the tivo and tried running the getpages/parsepages stuff.

Getpages took 5+ hours

Parsepages never finished, after 72 hours, it crashed. You see, it requires alot of physical memory, the old series 1 did not have. Seems it took 200+ meg to parse the listings back then. It would be worse now!

Just an historical FYI

it may be more feasible now, since there is the ddparser out there, rather than having to pull down using getpages

philhu
09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
it may be more feasible now, since there is the ddparser out there, rather than having to pull down using getpages

Less feasible. ddparser, etc requires ALOT more memory, well over 300meg to process a 400 channel lineup for 13 days.

rc3105
09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
that's why hs (junior high maybe) cs classes should teach students to program on a vic-20 (like 4k of ram) with the final exam being something akin to writing a newsgroup server

once you've been there everything else is SO easy :D

psxboy
09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
that's why hs (junior high maybe) cs classes should teach students to program on a vic-20 (like 4k of ram) with the final exam being something akin to writing a newsgroup server

Ahh.. the VIC-20 was my very first computer, and I loved it. I quickly moved on to the C-64 after that. Remember the 1541? And the 1200 baud (gasp! so fast!) modems? And Q-Link... ahh, People Connection. Those were the days...

-psxboy

SR712
09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I still have mine, 1541 and all. haha. The color monitor was actually pretty good for its day. I thought my modem was only 300 baud. :D

psxboy
09-10-2004, 11:17 AM
I thought my modem was only 300 baud. :D
:D My first one was. I upgraded to the "fast" one later on. hehe You're right about the monitor though... I used it as a TV for years & years.

-psxboy

jonequest
10-02-2004, 03:02 AM
My first "PC" (using the term loosely) was a Timex Sinclair 1000 that I got used at a garage sale. But at the time it was cool just because it was something new to me.

P.S. I have to agree with the earlier post about learning on a simple PC, it is relative to all things. If you can learn to write efficient code that doesn't use much resources just think of what you can do when they turn you loose on current hardware. Even NOT being a programmer, I can see that all the real innovations come from someone finding a way to utilize what was already there, and making it do something that was thought impossible before.

dan0
10-08-2004, 02:27 PM
while we are reminising
My first Pc was a TI 99/4a
with a whopping 256 bytes of Cpu Ram (1/4k)
try coding anything for that :)