PDA

View Full Version : New: Pocket EtiVo - semi-automatic download to your Pocket PC.

Masnark
09-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Hey guys. I dont know how many of you use Pocket PCs, but if any of you do, you may be interested in this:
http://prish.com/etivo/images/PocketEtiVo-2.gif http://prish.com/etivo/images/PocketEtiVo-3.gif
http://prish.com/etivo/images/PocketEtiVo-4.gif http://prish.com/etivo/images/PocketEtiVo-6.gif

This is still not downloadable - if any of you are interested, please send me an email and I will create a setup at some point so others can use it.

Lost Dog
09-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey guys. I dont know how many of you use Pocket PCs, but if any of you do, you may be interested in this:

This is still not downloadable - if any of you are interested, please send me an email and I will create a setup at some point so others can use it.

Whoa. I just noticed this. If you'd like some help testing this, let me know. I've got a Dell Axim.

Does this stream the video to the pocket pc or is a re-encode using a different codec then save to a SD/CF card? I currently throw things like The Simpsons or Futurama on to my PDA (typically divx encoded, 320x240 landscape mode).

Lost Dog

sanderton
09-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Yes please! I am currently doing this by hand.

Masnark
09-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Yes please! I am currently doing this by hand.

Well, the way I envision the final product, you will have the following capabilities:

1. You connect to EtiVo and mark which items you want.
2. Pocket EtiVo checks which shows that are currently present on the storage card you already marked as viewed, and deletes them on every "sync" operation.
3. Pocket EtiVo then tells the Master EtiVo (optionally) to reencode the show to a lower level of compression.
4. EtiVo places that request in it's queue system (hi-pri) and services it.
5. Pocket EtiVo downloads the show once it's done encoding.

But I have a few things I need to do on the EtiVo Server before all this is possible, so it will take some time. I will try to make a setup for the initia version soonish though. I hate creating setup programs by hand. :(

cobelli
09-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes please, that would be awesome. I'm also doing this by hand with a HP Ipaq 4350. And my list is Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy, lol

-Cobelli

cojonesdetoro
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
This might make it easier to get content onto my Treo600 smartphone. I'm pretty sure mmplayer supports wmv format... not sure, gotta check that out. It would be nice to have a whole drive of "pocketable" shows and just swap them in and out when hotsyncing

tlphipps
09-14-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm after the exact same thing for my Treo600!

I didn't realize MMPlayer supported wmv files. I'm definitely going to look into that.

With that in mind, could the proposed system support different "target" resolutions? The Treo600 only has a 160x160 res screen.

sanderton
09-15-2004, 04:36 AM
With eTivo you can specify all the parameters of the output video, including resolution and bitrate.

redhat39
09-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Count me in for helping you test it. Although I haven't done it in a while, because its such a pain, like the others I've been doing this all by hand too to get some TV shows over to my Ipaq 3955. Would really be cool to have a program like this.

Masnark
09-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Version is out. Already had a small bug-fix increment, on the site. You can download it and install from there. Use the main EtiVo thread for questions, as I do not monitor this thread.

erhan
09-22-2004, 09:21 PM
OK, I downloaded the latest build (0.1.919.2) and installed.

I get "Error when connecting to EtiVo: FormatException" on the PPC (using IP address), but I do get a "session created" in the EtiVo.log this time.

Note that I didn't upgrade the EtiVoServer (still at 0.1.826.0). Will I need to?

erhan
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Some more info:

Upgraded EtiVoServer to the latest version, no change

I tried searching for different things, and it seems like the error (FormatException) happens only when it finds it, but I get no errors (and of course, no list) when I enter, say, "monk". :D (not much of a fan)

Masnark
09-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Some more info:

Upgraded EtiVoServer to the latest version, no change

I tried searching for different things, and it seems like the error (FormatException) happens only when it finds it, but I get no errors (and of course, no list) when I enter, say, "monk". :D (not much of a fan)

That's actually very good info (not that you are not a fan, but the fact that you dont get an error when no shows exist - and come on! How can you not like it? There are monkeys in it!! Monkeys!). Means I am able to get back an answer from EtiVo but.. What? Cannot parse it? Weird..

Hmmm...

Can you try various other shows and see if you can get anything to work? Look for shows that have only letters in their names etc.

I am building a version in the meantime that will log some errors. Maybe will help me figure out what the hell is going on there.

Masnark
09-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Okay.

Try this:

http://prish.com/etivo/downloads/0.01.0919/CEtiVo0.1.919.3.msi

If you get an error, there's a file called Errors.log in the CEtiVo directory (under program files). Paste it here when/if you get it.

erhan
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Here is the Errors.log

------ 23-Sep-04 8:09:27 AM------
Operation:Fetching list from server
Error message is:FormatException
Error Info:
System.FormatException:FormatException
I tried several different things, like "friends", "timeline", etc that I know are on the list. No change.

Maybe it only works with monkeys??. I'll record one of those and see what happens. :)

Masnark
09-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Here is the Errors.log

I tried several different things, like "friends", "timeline", etc that I know are on the list. No change.

Maybe it only works with monkeys??. I'll record one of those and see what happens. :)

I was hoping it would give a callstack in there.

Can you give me the make/model/OS version of your device?

sanderton
09-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Trying the lastest version from outside the firewall, and the PPC "waiting" clock just keeps on going. When I quit it this was the error log:

Operation:Trying to connect to server.

Error message is:Could not find resource assembly

Error Info:

System.IO.IOException:Could not find resource assembly ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException:Could not find resource assembly

Masnark
09-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Trying the lastest version from outside the firewall, and the PPC "waiting" clock just keeps on going. When I quit it this was the error log:

Operation:Trying to connect to server.

Error message is:Could not find resource assembly

Error Info:

System.IO.IOException:Could not find resource assembly ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException:Could not find resource assembly

Okay... Finally figured (figured==googled) what the hell is going on. To save space, error descriptions are not part of the installed framework. You can get it to work by copying System_sr.dll into the directory. Catch is that it's not redistributable. You need to download the files from the Compact Framework site (basically, install the free CF sdk) and then you can copy it. I would actually preferred you did that, but it can potentially be a real big hassle, so no biggy if you dont.

I will try and create another revision that tries to look in the exception and print out the error number - hopefuly that will help some. May take me a bit, since I have guests now.

erhan
09-23-2004, 09:15 PM
I was hoping it would give a callstack in there.

Can you give me the make/model/OS version of your device?
Toshiba e740 - Pocket PC 2002

Could it be that you built it using the 2003 SDK and it's not backward compatible?

Masnark
09-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Toshiba e740 - Pocket PC 2002

Could it be that you built it using the 2003 SDK and it's not backward compatible?

Ahha!!!

Okay. I will check it against the 2002 emulator and see if it bombs. CF should be compatible with both, but maybe I am doing something stupid there. Sorry for not being clearer about this.

I will let you know when I get the time to do this test.

Masnark
09-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Well.. Tried it with a 2002 emulator. Seems to be working like a charm.

Can you do me one favor though? Can you connect via telnet to the etivo server, logging the telnet results, and send me the log that occurs from running the command:

lr

Thanks. Either send it to me in email, or if it's not too big, paste it here.

sanderton
09-24-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm running an IPAQ 4150 with Windows 2003.

I've connected from the iPAQ via telnet, and sent lr, and the XML was still streaming down the screen after a couple of minutes!

The iPAQ's telnet buffer isn't big enough to hold the whole thing, but this is what it had left in it!

<ShowQueueItem> <ShowName>{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19}{Pylades}{C4}</ShowName> <Source /> <Status>Success</Status> <StartTime>23 September 2004 19:03</StartTime> <LastStatusChange>23 September 2004 19:03</LastStatusChange> <ShowInfo> <Title>Wreck Detectives</Title> <Episode>Pylades</Episode> <Description>The Wreck Detectives go to Normandy to find out what sank HMS Pylades.</Description> <Channel>Channel 4</Channel> <ShowBaseUri>http://localhost/data/{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19}{Pylades} {C4}.show/</ShowBaseUri> <PreviewImagePrefix>Preview</PreviewImagePrefix> <PreviewPictureImageCount>14</PreviewPictureImageCount> <Uris> <Uri Protocol="HTTP">http://localhost/data/{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19 }{Pylades}{C4}.show/{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19}{Pylades}{C4}_WmvLow.wmv</Uri> <Uri Protocol="FILE">file://I:\data\{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19}{Pylad es}{C4}.show\{Wreck Detectives}{2004-09-19}{Pylades}{C4}_WmvLow.wmv</Uri> </Uris> <FinishDate>9/19/2004 19:46:17</FinishDate> <AirDate>9/19/2004 00:00:00</AirDate> </ShowInfo> </ShowQueueItem> </QueueList> >

Masnark
09-24-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm running an IPAQ 4150 with Windows 2003.

I've connected from the iPAQ via telnet, and sent lr, and the XML was still streaming down the screen after a couple of minutes!

The iPAQ's telnet buffer isn't big enough to hold the whole thing, but this is what it had left in it!

[...]

Sorry... I meant for erhan to do that - not you. You seem to be having a different problem where you are actuall unable to connect (that's what, I am assuming, the SocketException is all about) - I should have been clearer - sorry about that. Once I am able to create a rev for you that will display the error number in the log, I shall. Also, consider trying to install the .NET Compact Framerwork SDK. No biggy if you dont, will just make life easier trying to determain wtf is going on.

Also, Erhan, when you do the telnet thing, you can do it on a regular machine - no need to do it on the ipaq.

sanderton
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Actually I get the "Error when fetching list from server: Format Exception"error like erhan when connecting from outside my home network - I get the Can't Connect to Server error when I'm on the LAN... I think the socket error yesterday was my iPAQ timing out over the slow GPRS connection.

------ 24/09/2004 17:38:07------

Error Info:

Is it just the two of us having problems - are there others out there who've got it working?

sanderton
09-24-2004, 01:12 PM
I've installed the SDK, but there is no file System_sr.dll?

erhan
09-24-2004, 03:07 PM
I've installed the SDK, but there is no file System_sr.dll?
Yeah, I tried that too, but then found out (=googled) that System_SR is part of Visual Studio. However, there seems to be a question about whether the CAB file is distributable or not, but the individual dll is definitely not.

sanderton
09-24-2004, 03:19 PM
I have Visual Studio installed, but still can't find that file!

sanderton
09-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Masnark - now at home and getting the FormatException error on my LAN - I've been having some problems with teh cradle which must explain the "Could not connect" I was getting previously.

erhan
09-25-2004, 09:30 AM
I attached the log from the lr command

sanderton
09-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Installed the DLL; doesn't seem to have helped:

------ 25/09/2004 17:34:00------

Error Info:

This is my lr result:

Masnark
09-25-2004, 03:12 PM
http://prish.com/etivo/downloads/0.01.0919/CEtiVo0.1.919.4.msi

This will potentially create a huge text file on your device, so feel free to delete it after sending it to me.

I am trying to see what the hell is going on in there.

sanderton
09-25-2004, 03:24 PM
On screen it says:

CEtiVo.exe
Format exception
Application::Run+0xf
MainForm::Main+0xa

The error log is:

------ 25/09/2004 20:14:06 ------
------ 25/09/2004 20:14:11 ------

Masnark
09-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Mystery solved.

Make sure your short and long date formats on both PPC and PC are the same.

I will add code to mitigate this problem in the very near future.

sanderton
10-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Damn, PPC doesn't give me the option I use on the home machine! Will have to change the PC later. Hope it works!

Masnark
10-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Damn, PPC doesn't give me the option I use on the home machine! Will have to change the PC later. Hope it works!

If I get out of work early enough today, then I should be able to supply a fixed version.

sanderton
10-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Short and long formats now the same - still no joy. :(

Masnark
10-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Short and long formats now the same - still no joy. :(

Same format problem?

Hrrm. Solved it for Erhan.. I will fix that problem tonight and see if it solves your problem anyway, then we can decide how to continue.

sanderton
10-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Yes, exactly the same error as before.

Masnark
10-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Okay.

Put a new 0.1.919.5 rev on the site. http://www.prish.com/etivo/etivo_changelist.htm to see what's there.

sanderton
10-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Wayhey! Progress.

I can get the list but...

When I go to download an item the panel with the URL reads:

http://localhost/....

whereas I'd have expected it to be

http://192.169.0.103/...

ie, the IP address of the server as entered on the setup page. Or have I missed something?

Masnark
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Wayhey! Progress.

I can get the list but...

When I go to download an item the panel with the URL reads:

http://localhost/....

whereas I'd have expected it to be

http://192.169.0.103/...

ie, the IP address of the server as entered on the setup page. Or have I missed something?

The IP you get in the list is what the EtiVo Server reports it to be.

Simply go to your <location> element, and in the HTTP attribute (or whatever the name there is) place, type in your actual address instead of localhost.

Hope that made sense.

sanderton
10-05-2004, 04:56 AM
Yes I figured that out, and that's OK now.

Still can't get it to download anything though!

Preview now working fine.

When I select a show and hit "download" the web server gets the request OK, but the handheld fails with a FileNotFoundException.

I have changed the target directory to \Storage Card\

Edit tried using FILE, and got DirectoryNotFoundException

Masnark
10-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes I figured that out, and that's OK now.

Still can't get it to download anything though!

Preview now working fine.

When I select a show and hit "download" the web server gets the request OK, but the handheld fails with a FileNotFoundException.

I have changed the target directory to \Storage Card\

Edit tried using FILE, and got DirectoryNotFoundException

If my memory serves me, CEtiVo uses the same exact mechanism to fetch the bitmaps as it does the file. Or there'abouts.

For me, the FILE thing works, for some reason, only when the device is cradled.

Can you check that the location written in the text-box when you go to the Download tab is the real location of the file (including the file name)?

sanderton
10-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure it is, but it's in URL-speke (%20 for spaces etc) and very long so it's hard to say.

The web server log shows the request coming in and responds with a 200, so I guess that's OK?

This is the web server log when directly requesting the file in a web bowser:

/data/{A%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away}{2004-10-04}{Suffolk%20Lucca}{C4}.show/{A%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away}{2004-10-04}{Suffolk%20Lucca}{C4}_WmvLow.wmv

And this a request from Pocket eTiVo:

/data/%7BA%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away%7D%7B2004-10-04%7D%7BSuffolk%20Lucca%7D%7BC4%7D.show/%7BA%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away%7D%7B2004-10-04%7D%7BSuffolk%20Lucca%7D%7BC4%7D_WmvLow.wmv

Can you confirm if the save location in Setup should have a trailing \ or not?

Masnark
10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Pretty sure it is, but it's in URL-speke (%20 for spaces etc) and very long so it's hard to say.

The web server log shows the request coming in and responds with a 200, so I guess that's OK?

This is the web server log when directly requesting the file in a web bowser:

/data/{A%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away}{2004-10-04}{Suffolk%20Lucca}{C4}.show/{A%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away}{2004-10-04}{Suffolk%20Lucca}{C4}_WmvLow.wmv

And this a request from Pocket eTiVo:

/data/%7BA%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away%7D%7B2004-10-04%7D%7BSuffolk%20Lucca%7D%7BC4%7D.show/%7BA%20Place%20in%20the%20Sun%20Home%20or%20Away%7D%7B2004-10-04%7D%7BSuffolk%20Lucca%7D%7BC4%7D_WmvLow.wmv

Can you confirm if the save location in Setup should have a trailing \ or not?

The save location in setup can contain \ or not. Doesn't matter.

I dont know CE devices that well, but do you actually have a \Storage Card when, say, you use File-Manager in Pocket PC?

Also, can you please take the second URL you pasted and use it (with adding the host name there) in your Pocket IE and see if it offers to download the file?

Edit: Actually, just try using the URL in a regular IE first (the second one you pasted) and see if it works. Some freeware web-services are not fully w3 compliant when it comes to URL.

You may also want to see if your Web-Server configuration has something like "allow special characters in url" in it's security settings.

sanderton
10-06-2004, 08:13 AM
The second URL works in IE (it plays the video rather than saving it).

Edit: URL also works in pocket IE, with a "save document" prompt.

If I type the name of a directory on the storage card which does not exist then Pocket eTivo creates it, which suggests that's working OK.

I'm sure its something obvious, but what?!

Masnark
10-06-2004, 03:17 PM
The second URL works in IE (it plays the video rather than saving it).

Edit: URL also works in pocket IE, with a "save document" prompt.

If I type the name of a directory on the storage card which does not exist then Pocket eTivo creates it, which suggests that's working OK.

I'm sure its something obvious, but what?!

Like most things, prolly my fault - just ask my wife. I will try downloading on a 2002 version emulator and see if it works. When I tried last, I just tried getting a list of shows (which worked). Maybe this time the problem will repro. If not, I will add some more logging there and hopefuly that will help.

Masnark
10-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Fixed the problem. Caused it with all my mucking around to find the previous problems.

http://prish.com/etivo/downloads/0.01.0919/CEtiVo0.1.919.8.msi

sanderton
10-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Way-hay! It works! Brilliant!

I've exceeded the max total number of items in the list (200) so it gives an error message. Suggest 200 is too low! :)

Masnark
10-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Just type in the show you are looking for in the textbox. :p

I will try to add a settable limit for the next version.

Glad it's (finally) working for ya.