PDA

View Full Version : mfs_ftp insertion problem

Euthyphro
09-17-2004, 01:27 AM
the main thread didn't seem to address this problem: when uploading/inserting a tmf back to tivo, it goes fine until it hits about 500MB at which point it stalls. I have to stop and retry, but I can't seem to get past this barrier.

Please help. thanks.

edit: forgot to mention: using Fetch on Mac OS X

NutKase
09-17-2004, 03:24 AM
the main thread didn't seem to address this problem: when uploading/inserting a tmf back to tivo, it goes fine until it hits about 500MB at which point it stalls. I have to stop and retry, but I can't seem to get past this barrier.

Please help. thanks.

edit: forgot to mention: using Fetch on Mac OS X

I'll bet if you look closely it's a 512MB error. This is documented many times, and is a symptom of a bad binary.

NutKase

Euthyphro
09-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I found the short discussion regarding the "binary bug" on page 29 of the main thread. There are suggestions about getting another version. Is there a more robust version beyond 1.2.9p that can be obtained? I couldn't find it.

thanks for your help.

sanderton
09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
You don't say what TiVo you have? The binary in the mfs_Ftp distro is for Series 1 machines.

Euthyphro
09-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Sorry, I have a Sony Series 1. The distribution I pulled down is the one from the first post of the main thread. Looking at the mfs_ftp.tcl file from this distro, the version is identified as 1.2.9p. It seems I have the latest version.

I'm using fetch for Mac OSX on a 1.8DP box (no Virtual PC on the G5, so I can't use SmartFTP). I had no problems grabbing all the tmfs from the tivo, but only having problems re-inserting the TMFs at the 512MB mark. The insertion also freaks out at other times below 512.

Please help, I'm getting pressure to put the "amazing race" episodes back on.

Edit: alternatively, is it possible to run a FTP server from the PC that can be used by Tivo to "download" the TMFs from? don't know if this is possible.

Lost Dog
09-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Is this wired or wireless? I've been using wireless (TiVo connects to a bridge, which connects to my wireless router) and had horrible problems uploading shows. The transfer speed would drift from 200 to 500 to 0 to 100 to 0 and eventually stall out. Switching to a wired connection fixed all problems.

Over wifi I'm fine streaming from the TiVo to my computer but it does not like the other way around...

Euthyphro
09-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Unforunately, this is a wired scenario, so I'm still not sure how to resolve it. I might have to rumage around for my Win98 box and try another FTP client. Anyone know what works best for the Windows?

rung
09-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Unforunately, this is a wired scenario, so I'm still not sure how to resolve it. I might have to rumage around for my Win98 box and try another FTP client. Anyone know what works best for the Windows?

What does the mfs_ftp log say during the problem? You can crank up the debug level if it is giving you enough info. What are the errors that you are seeing on your ftp client. Have you tried a different ftp client? You could also try a packet sniffer if you get desperate.

Euthyphro
09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
hi rung;

I just tried command line ftp. The error I get (from the client side) is:

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

I pulled the port.3105.log, and the last few lines (just before dying) are:

278 meg 679k/sec
278 meg 679k/sec
bgerror invoked with error

" error reading "sock20": connection timed out "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump" :p

info(version): 1.2.9p
info(tswv): 3.0-01-1-010
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(saveuntil): suggestion
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 0
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gatewayip): 127.0.0.1
info(gatewayport): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""

~~~~end of error log~~~~~

should I increase the log level or does this give us enough info to debug?

edit: I'm still wondering whether it's possible to have the mac act as the FTP server, and use the tivo as the client to grab the tmf from the mac? <getting desparate>

rung
09-17-2004, 11:19 PM
hi rung;

I just tried command line ftp. The error I get (from the client side) is:

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

I pulled the port.3105.log, and the last few lines (just before dying) are:

278 meg 679k/sec
278 meg 679k/sec
bgerror invoked with error

" error reading "sock20": connection timed out "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump" :p

info(version): 1.2.9p
info(tswv): 3.0-01-1-010
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(saveuntil): suggestion
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 0
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gatewayip): 127.0.0.1
info(gatewayport): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""

~~~~end of error log~~~~~

should I increase the log level or does this give us enough info to debug?

edit: I'm still wondering whether it's possible to have the mac act as the FTP server, and use the tivo as the client to grab the tmf from the mac? <getting desparate>

Some other ideas. Try rebooting your Tivo. Had similar errors with chunkedit and a reboot would fix them (flaky socket handler in tcl). Also, have you tried both active and passive transfers?

Edit: I was going to say no about your server idea, but it is possible. You could even use chunkedit without a cutfile and have the source ip be your server and the destination ip be localhost. Never tried it though. Put that feature in there as a favor for someone else.

Euthyphro
09-18-2004, 09:26 AM
rebooting doesn't help and I've tried passive and active (mainly active since that's what is recomended).

Just curious: Can mfs_ftp run in conjunction with:
1. tivoftpd
2. tivoweb
3. tyserver

I just realized these are in my rc.sysinit.author

NutKase
09-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Just curious: Can mfs_ftp run in conjunction with:
1. tivoftpd
2. tivoweb
3. tyserver

Yes, it works fine with all of the above.

NutKase

Euthyphro
09-22-2004, 07:12 PM
Gave up inserting from the Mac FTP client (Fetch). I resurrected my P166 running Win98, and SmartFTP uploaded without problem.

Anyone else having success inserting from Mac FTP client? If so, which one?

thanks