PDA

View Full Version : zmodem extraction?

rbivins
09-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Is this possible? My /var directory was just wiped. I've read that this happens periodically. In the meantime I've managed to get the serial link working and have been able to zmodem files back onto my DTiVo. Then, it occurred to me that zmodem works both ways, down and up. Can zmodem be used for ty extractions?

Thanks,
--Robert

Zirak
09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Sure, its possible, but you wouldn't be very happy with it.

lart2150
09-18-2004, 02:14 PM
1/2 hour of show takes around 12-48 hours to download at 11kB/s

rbivins
09-18-2004, 03:32 PM
1/2 hour of show takes around 12-48 hours to download at 11kB/s

YIKES! Kinda figured as much. Popped out the ol' calculator and came up with similar numbers. My serial ports on my PC can go up to 114 KB/s, don't know if the TiVo can go that high. That still means 1.2-4.8 hours though. Double YIKES.

At least at the s.l.o.w. 478 K/s of my wireless interfact 1/2 hour shows come down in about 12-18 minutes. Sigh.

I was just in a little bit of an emergency situation because I was running out of room with a bunch of movies scheduled to record and my hack directory having been wiped all at the same time. That guy Murphy is no joke. :)

I guess what I was really wondering is where do I look for my shows when I am consoled in? Do I just "mount /mnt/hda10" (or whatever partition they are one, don't know that either) and do an "ls", or what?

Thanks,
--Robert

sanderton
09-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Ty files don't actually exist on the TiVo HD,they are created on the fly by mfs_ftp (or TyTool) extracting data from a whole bunch of different places and combining them and streaming the combination to your PC.

malfunct
09-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Is this possible? My /var directory was just wiped. I've read that this happens periodically. In the meantime I've managed to get the serial link working and have been able to zmodem files back onto my DTiVo. Then, it occurred to me that zmodem works both ways, down and up. Can zmodem be used for ty extractions?

Thanks,
--Robert

In a pinch you could probably mount the drive in your PC and use the program for direct extraction to grab the videos. This would be pretty fast (other than the tearing apart your tivo part).

rbivins
09-19-2004, 12:42 AM
In a pinch you could probably mount the drive in your PC and use the program for direct extraction to grab the videos. This would be pretty fast (other than the tearing apart your tivo part).

Just a quick question, which OS does the PC have to run? Linux or Windows? I could then burn directly from the HD to DVD and cut hours of work out the middle. Man, I mean HOURS of downloading and processing...

Pulling my DTiVo apart isn't that tough anymore, I built a bracket that attaches to the stock one in the DTiVo and a quicky couple of cables so I can transfer the whole works back and forth to my PC (plus, my PC case stays open anyway :) ). I had to, I had a devil of a time hacking the thing in the first place, I had to use two versions of the Jenkins and three versions of the Monte CD's before one "took".

Thanks.

rc3105
09-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Just a quick question, which OS does the PC have to run? Linux or Windows? I could then burn directly from the HD to DVD and cut hours of work out the middle. Man, I mean HOURS of downloading and processing...

uh, no

sure direct drive -> drive extraction is faster than networking (waaaaaaaay faster than 115,200 serial) but once the files are on the pc/mac the conversion (processing as you say) steps to dvd are the same

you can use any os to run the apropriate tools to read tivo mfs partitions. most of what's released is for linux but you can take the source & port 'em to mac/win/whatever

Search (mhtml:file://C:\My Documents\saved web pages\DDB Search Forums.mht!http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php?) is your friend

rbivins
09-19-2004, 01:49 PM
uh, no

sure direct drive -> drive extraction is faster than networking (waaaaaaaay faster than 115,200 serial) but once the files are on the pc/mac the conversion (processing as you say) steps to dvd are the same

you can use any os to run the apropriate tools to read tivo mfs partitions. most of what's released is for linux but you can take the source & port 'em to mac/win/whatever

Search (mhtml:file://C:\My Documents\saved web pages\DDB Search Forums.mht!http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/search.php?) is your friend

I got you. I know that the processing steps are the same. But, the transferring part is maddening. :o

Anyway, I'm tri-booting between Debian, Win2k and Win98. Plus I have a FreeBSD box and a Solaris box as well. I'm sure I can find something. I didn't realize the files had to be combined on-the-fly. I figured there was some manual way to get it done in a pinch. It does explain why "ls" takes so long via ftp.