PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to convert ty->mpg in Linux

cojonesdetoro
09-23-2004, 11:25 PM
I've been experimenting with converting ty streams to mpg files using tystudio's typrocess. I then use ffmpeg to re-sample the resultant mpeg to something that is playable on my Treo600 palm phone using mmplayer. I have had some success but it seems that audio sync is just not working right (sounds like a cliche).

I'm thinking the problem lies with typrocess. Is there another binary that can do a better job? I'v read that tystudio has halted development.

EDIT: I need to do this in Linux so I can automate the process more easily. I also don't run a windows box all the time but I do have a Linux box doing various things and is on at all times.

Thanks.

rung
09-24-2004, 07:30 AM
I've been experimenting with converting ty streams to mpg files using tystudio's typrocess. I then use ffmpeg to re-sample the resultant mpeg to something that is playable on my Treo600 palm phone using mmplayer. I have had some success but it seems that audio sync is just not working right (sounds like a cliche).

I'm thinking the problem lies with typrocess. Is there another binary that can do a better job? I'v read that tystudio has halted development.

EDIT: I need to do this in Linux so I can automate the process more easily. I also don't run a windows box all the time but I do have a Linux box doing various things and is on at all times.

Thanks.

Are you using cut files? I haven't had sync issues if I process the whole recording.

sanderton
09-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Isn't there a Linux port of tytool's core bits?

rung
09-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Isn't there a Linux port of tytool's core bits? I thought it was a win32 only tool.

TheWickedPriest
09-24-2004, 11:48 AM
http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184758&postcount=4

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27678

cojonesdetoro
09-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Wow, it has been dead for almost a year.

I didn't even know Tynix existed. I dloaded it and was able to create an mpg from a Ty file a lot faster than with typrocess. The only problem is that jdiner went with ncurses instead of a plain ol' CLI. I would prefer CLI because you can always front-end the UI later. As it stands, I have to figure out a way to automate this using Expect but it looks great. Too bad it appears dead on the vine.

Thanks for the pointers and props to Jdiner for providing such a great tool in spite of all the sources of his frustration.

TheWickedPriest
09-25-2004, 11:40 AM
It may also be possible to do it purely with mencoder (http://mplayerhq.hu/). (It didn't work the last time I tried it, and I never did figure out why, but that was a few versions ago.)

lart2150
09-25-2004, 12:05 PM
I've converted a few ty streams to divx with mencoder I used a small plugin from this forum but I don't think it's needed. if you are going to use mencoder to convert your ty stream to mpeg it will reencode :-/. last I tried TyTools worked under wine.

ttabbal
09-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Use the Linux version of vsplit JDiner included in the TyTool package. Then you can use cron and shell scripts all you want. It can do the ty->MPEG conversion for you, then do your resample etc..

I just downloaded the binary package from the main TyTool post, it has a directory for the unix version in there. It should run on Linux.

zqfmbg
10-01-2004, 02:41 AM
I tried using transcode, but it still has timing problems. mencoder works really well, though. I transcode to xvid.

My command lines look like:

VF="pp=vd/hd/dr,kerndeint,hqdn3d,softskip,harddup"
LO="preset=medium"
BITRATE=1450
XOP1="gmc:vhq=1:chroma_me:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:qpel:trellis:hq_ac:
autoaspect:pass=1"
XOP2="gmc:vhq=1:chroma_me:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:qpel:trellis:hq_ac:
autoaspect:pass=2:bitrate=$BITRATE"

mencoder <input> -o /dev/null -vf $VF -oac copy -ovc xvid -ofps 29.97 -xvidencopts $XOP1
mencoder <input> -o <output> -vf $VF -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -ofps 29.97 -lameopts $LO -xvidencopts $XOP2

Only problem is this encodes at ~9fps on a P4 3.06 GHz. Oh well.

dlang
10-01-2004, 04:54 AM
jdiner is including a linux version of vsplit in his releases now. the current version is a version or so behind at the moment.

look for vsplit.

if you don't need to edit things this will create a .mpg or .vob file from a ty file

tytool does work under wine so you can use that for the editing and menu creation