PDA

View Full Version : Extracted Video Quality

kearney
09-26-2004, 04:58 PM
:confused:
Hi

I have been using TyTools to extract video from my Tivo. Per the instructions on this list, I have set my TiVo to record at "High Quality" so that when I view the video on a DVD I don't get the first third of the picture replicated.

Unfortunately the "high Quality" recordings are grainer than I would like. Is there anyway I can record using "Best Quality" and then have TyTools reformat the data so that I don't get the first third of the picture being replicated?

Any and all help appreciated.

sanderton
09-26-2004, 06:37 PM
No; the problem you see is because your DVD player cannot handle the TiVo's resolution. You can re-encode the video to a DVD compatible resolution, but it will take a long time and there will be quality lost. TyTool cannot do this.

In the UK, there's an unused resolution, mode 0, which is DVD compatible and "better" than Best - you can set it up using TivoWeb. I don't know if that option exists in US machines.

kearney
09-30-2004, 12:04 AM
Staurt

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how the "0" resolution is set on the UK Tivos so I can see if it exists on a Canadian / US Tivo? I have TivoWeb installed and know how to change settings etc - I just need to know what to do.

Regards

K

sanderton
09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Use the Resource Editor to change one of the four settings to be of resolution 0; you will need to boost the bitrate to maintain quality too.

there's a long thread on the ins and outs of if on the UK forum on TiVoCommunity; search on "bitrate and resolution".