PDA

View Full Version : Quick & easy encoding WMV files

joeberk
09-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Like some others, I've had problems galore with getting the MPEG2 stream from my HDVR2 into something I could watch. VirtualDub or Dr. DivX produced divx files that looked great, but I could never get the audio in sync.

I wanted to use ETivo, but the install requirements seemed a little steep. So I downloaded the free Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx) and the
Windows Media Encoder 9 Series SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=000a16f5-d62b-4303-bb22-f0c0861be25b&DisplayLang=en).

The Windows Media Encoder comes with a decent app for encoding, but I was looking for something that would allow batch recording. After some searching on the Internet, I found out that buried in the SDK is a VB app that has a few less features, but does allow batch recording. Using that, I've gotten quite good results - a more than watchable half-hour show in a 75MB wmv file, and the audio is in sync. Sure, it's not archival quality at that level, but I'm just looking for something to watch on a laptop with a small HD while on a plane, so being locked into a Microsoft solution is not a concern to me.

Your mileage may vary, but just thought I'd share my experience.

sanderton
09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
If you have XP (any flavour) or Win2k, then you can use eTivo, which does what you want (that's all I want too and it works fine). You don't need to install all the web server stuff - mine is just set on "auto" so downloads and converts everything on the Tivo.

Clicking OK on one installer and a tweak of a config file is all it takes!

Masnark
09-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Just to add my unbiased opinion to what sanderton said.. ;)

1. You should be able to install EtiVo Server on a 98 machine and use the -c to run it.
2. I dont know what options that VB program gives you, but EtiVo has a Command-Line encode-mode where you type in -s:[Dir] -t:[Dir] and it will go through all the files in the directory and encode them using the specified WME file. That means you can have all the options you have in the WME UI available for you when you re-encode.

The only requirement on top of a functioning WME is the .NET runtime (which is a pretty big download, so understandable if you dont want to get it).

joeberk
09-28-2004, 10:04 AM
What I really didn't like about ETiVo was having to install IIS. If it's not needed, maybe I'll try it.

sanderton
09-28-2004, 11:59 AM
It's not, if you are going to have it automated in the background doing everything matching a text name filter as I do. I wouldn't like to select individual shows using the CLI though.

my0gr81
09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Just to add my unbiased opinion to what sanderton said.. ;)

1. You should be able to install EtiVo Server on a 98 machine and use the -c to run it.
2. I dont know what options that VB program gives you, but EtiVo has a Command-Line encode-mode where you type in -s:[Dir] -t:[Dir] and it will go through all the files in the directory and encode them using the specified WME file. That means you can have all the options you have in the WME UI available for you when you re-encode.

The only requirement on top of a functioning WME is the .NET runtime (which is a pretty big download, so understandable if you dont want to get it).

Add IIS to that. For me that is show stopper. Besides, the PC that I would use already has other httpd running such as the JavaHMO.

joeberk
09-28-2004, 12:21 PM
I would add that if ETiVo had a standalonefront end ala TyTool, and you selected a show, clicked "Get", and you got a WMV file.... that would be pretty cool.

:)

sanderton
09-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Add IIS to that. For me that is show stopper. Besides, the PC that I would use already has other httpd running such as the JavaHMO.

IIS is not needed for the basic software to work. I don't have it as I run XP Home, but eTivo works fine craeting a "mirror" of my TiVo in Pocket PC optimised WMV format.

joeberk
09-28-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll have to give that a try, sanderton.

Masnark - consider this a vote for allowing ETiVo to work with multiple TiVo's; once I get this working for my HDVr2, my wife will want it for hers.

And if ETiVo only works with one TiVo, you can guess whose it will end up being setup with. :eek: ;)

Masnark
09-28-2004, 02:53 PM
I'll have to give that a try, sanderton.

Masnark - consider this a vote for allowing ETiVo to work with multiple TiVo's; once I get this working for my HDVr2, my wife will want it for hers.

And if ETiVo only works with one TiVo, you can guess whose it will end up being setup with. :eek: ;)

Yeah, that's a frequent request. I will be doing that at some point. Edit: In the mean-time, you can have 2 EtiVo's running on 2 different ports. Just copy the contents of the EtiVoServer directory to EtiVoServer2 and set it up there.

As for writing a front end - I have been meaning to do that, but I have been unable to get to that yet, just too many things I need to add to the infrastructure still..

However...

I do have an API that anybody who programs with .NET can use (It's called EtiVoLib and it's installed with EtiVo). For the most part, it's incredibly easy to use (I use it a lot and I am lazy, so I had to make it easy to use). To get a list of files on EtiVo, for example, is 2 lines of .NET code. If anyone is up to the challenge of writing a regular UI for that, I will be willing to help with advice via email and what-not.

malfunct
09-28-2004, 04:34 PM

Yeah, that's a frequent request. I will be doing that at some point. Edit: In the mean-time, you can have 2 EtiVo's running on 2 different ports. Just copy the contents of the EtiVoServer directory to EtiVoServer2 and set it up there.

As for writing a front end - I have been meaning to do that, but I have been unable to get to that yet, just too many things I need to add to the infrastructure still..

However...

I do have an API that anybody who programs with .NET can use (It's called EtiVoLib and it's installed with EtiVo). For the most part, it's incredibly easy to use (I use it a lot and I am lazy, so I had to make it easy to use). To get a list of files on EtiVo, for example, is 2 lines of .NET code. If anyone is up to the challenge of writing a regular UI for that, I will be willing to help with advice via email and what-not.

Guess its time for me to pull out VS.Net at home and have some fun. I can get all the stuff hooked up but I am not good at making pretty UI's. Once I get the basics set up someone else can take the project and spiff it up.

Masnark
09-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Guess its time for me to pull out VS.Net at home and have some fun. I can get all the stuff hooked up but I am not good at making pretty UI's. Once I get the basics set up someone else can take the project and spiff it up.

If you want some examples of how to use it, please send me an email. 'I will be able to send you a couple of snippets to get you going.

malfunct
09-28-2004, 07:47 PM
If you want some examples of how to use it, please send me an email. 'I will be able to send you a couple of snippets to get you going.

Ok, I'll have better questions after I get a chance to view the assembly in the object browser.

solidtechie
09-29-2004, 06:41 AM

I'm happy to have a crack at that if you like. Give me a shout when you're ready. No promises that I can do any better than you though! ;)

lart2150
09-29-2004, 07:17 PM
maby make a sourceforge project for it http://sourceforge.net/

malfunct
10-04-2004, 12:09 AM
maby make a sourceforge project for it http://sourceforge.net/

For reasons relating to my employment I will not be opening up a sourceforge project for any work I do. That said the code will be released to everyone with no restrictions when I'm done but I won't spend much time supporting it. This just seemed interesting for me to mess with and thats the way I want to keep it.

malfunct
10-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm still working on producing a .NET windows application that will clone the functionality of the Etivo Web interface. I've got everything installed but somewhere along the line I made a mistake installing the .NET framework so ASP.Net is not correctly configured on my machine. When I get that done I'll actually be able to see how the web interface is structured and start reproducing it in a .Net winforms application. That means that IIS would not be necessary but .Net still would.

Masnark
10-11-2004, 09:56 PM
I'm still working on producing a .NET windows application that will clone the functionality of the Etivo Web interface. I've got everything installed but somewhere along the line I made a mistake installing the .NET framework so ASP.Net is not correctly configured on my machine. When I get that done I'll actually be able to see how the web interface is structured and start reproducing it in a .Net winforms application. That means that IIS would not be necessary but .Net still would.

Use this to make ASP.NET work:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtskerroraspnetnotinstalled.asp

malfunct
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Use this to make ASP.NET work:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtskerroraspnetnotinstalled.asp

My problem I think is slightly worse than that. I have none of the linkages that point .aspx files to use the asp.net isapi. This is normal when you install the .NET framework before you install IIS and the fix is to uninstall the framework and re-install it now that IIS is installed.

Once I get it up and running I'll be set to go and figuring out how you did things will also be easy due to using reflector (a very cool .NET decompiler) to see how each page is populated and how each control behaves. Shouldn't be too hard but its slow going due to dealing with a pregnant wife and TONS of work. I am excited to get to work on this though so I will be getting it done as soon as I can.

malfunct
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
thats the big step to starting this project (other than me getting visual studio going at home which is also complete).

Now I should slowly but surely be able to start cloning the web interface in a stand alone client.

malfunct
11-19-2004, 03:36 AM
thats the big step to starting this project (other than me getting visual studio going at home which is also complete).

Now I should slowly but surely be able to start cloning the web interface in a stand alone client.

Just to check back in with everyone. I have gotten a reasonable amount of this done. I plan to fix up a couple small things and then make a release to masnark who can decide how to release it at that point.

Features that I hope to have included are a status page that gives most of the same info thats listed on the etivoweb status page. A page that lists shows available to be queued from the tivo that lets you select and queue them for etivo and a catalog page that lists what has been encoded and gives some minimal list filtering.

rung
11-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Just to check back in with everyone. I have gotten a reasonable amount of this done. I plan to fix up a couple small things and then make a release to masnark who can decide how to release it at that point.

Features that I hope to have included are a status page that gives most of the same info thats listed on the etivoweb status page. A page that lists shows available to be queued from the tivo that lets you select and queue them for etivo and a catalog page that lists what has been encoded and gives some minimal list filtering.

That would be fantastic! Can I also ask that you put on the future todo list the ability to list, create and edit autotivo entries? The old way of doing it in the config file is going away.

Thanks,
Rung

malfunct
11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
That would be fantastic! Can I also ask that you put on the future todo list the ability to list, create and edit autotivo entries? The old way of doing it in the config file is going away.

Thanks,
Rung

Sure, you can request it, but I'll be honest, it may take next to forever to get in there. I have very little time to work on stuff.

slydog75
01-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Joe, hope you're still around here. how did you get WM encoder to work with the ty files?? mine just crashes or puts out garbage when I try.. also before anyone mentions it.. I tried etivo and cannot get it to work. I just want to manually convert the .ty's to .wmv's.. Thanks

joeberk
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Joe, hope you're still around here. how did you get WM encoder to work with the ty files?? mine just crashes or puts out garbage when I try.. also before anyone mentions it.. I tried etivo and cannot get it to work. I just want to manually convert the .ty's to .wmv's.. Thanks

I never tried it with ty files.

I used TyTool to extract mpg files then processed those.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful....

Masnark
01-09-2005, 04:53 PM

After installing TyShow, WMEncoder should just work on TY files.

Note that 2-pass encoding is not currently supported.

slydog75
01-09-2005, 05:37 PM
2 pass encoding was the issue. Thanks for your help! Now i'm just waiting for a GUI for eTivo (hint hint). :-)

malfunct
01-09-2005, 06:34 PM
2 pass encoding was the issue. Thanks for your help! Now i'm just waiting for a GUI for eTivo (hint hint). :-)

Check out etivoface: http://etivoface.malfunct.net

sridhar_ac
01-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Malfunct,

How would you feel about sharing the source? I'm a .NET developer and would like to review play around with this as well. I'll offer to help you in any way I can.

You can e-mail me at sridhar_ac@hotmail.com

sridhar_ac
01-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Masnark,

Could you send me information on the interfaces of your API? As noted in my previous post I'm very interested in working on a non-web based UI. Thanks in advance.