PDA

View Full Version : Compress HD vob to DVD

HUGE
10-05-2004, 03:24 PM
I have sucessfully used the HDTytool to extract the ty, and create a vob that plays great on my PC via PowerDVD. What I would loike to do is burn it to DVDR. Obvioully the files are too large. I recorded "Lost" and it was near 10GB for 2 hours. I trield TMPGenc but there was no sound from the resulting file. DVD2One did compressd it with sound but it looked like absolute crap. Any other suggestions?

HUGE

SirTrini
10-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Try DVD Shrink.

HUGE
10-06-2004, 01:53 AM
DVD Shrink would not open the vob files. :/

HUGE

idoco
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I have sucessfully used the HDTytool to extract the ty, and create a vob that plays great on my PC via PowerDVD. What I would loike to do is burn it to DVDR. Obvioully the files are too large. I recorded "Lost" and it was near 10GB for 2 hours. I trield TMPGenc but there was no sound from the resulting file. DVD2One did compressd it with sound but it looked like absolute crap. Any other suggestions?
HUGE

What was the audio format in the original mpeg file? Sometimes TMPGenc will not recoginize the audio format if it is 48K PCM. In that case you need to convert to elemental streams for video and audio. This will create 2 separate files.

When you burn the DVD or play the video, you need specify both the video file (usually .m2v extension) and the audio file (usually .wav extension).

Idoco

bcc
10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
You really want to decompress then recompress the HD video at more than twice the compression rate? That should introduce a lot of artifacts, kind of defeating the point of recording in HD in the first place. Why don't you split the recording across a couple disks. With powerdvd, you could have a playlist that plays the different vobs from different disks. Restore to hard disk before playback, or switch disks in the middle, or use multiple DVD drives (since they are dirt cheap).

HUGE
10-06-2004, 02:45 PM
It is more for sharing with friends and family etc. My friend missed "Lost" and so I was trying to put it on DVD for him.

HUGE

grins
10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
bcc, can you give some newbie level tips on splitting?

and that's only for playback from computers, right? I ass-umed commercial DVD players can't output 1080i, i.e. there's no point in putting >480p onto DVDs. If my DVD player will output (or maybe downconvert?) 1080i, well, color me happy.

t

bcc
10-06-2004, 03:30 PM
bcc, can you give some newbie level tips on splitting?Nope; hopefully the vob creation software would be able to size the vob files appropriately.
and that's only for playback from computers, right? I ass-umed commercial DVD players can't output 1080i, i.e. there's no point in putting >480p onto DVDs. If my DVD player will output (or maybe downconvert?) 1080i, well, color me happy.We're talking computer DVD playback.

grins
10-06-2004, 03:56 PM
thanks, dood! ;)

mrwalker66
10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
use dvd2avi to open the .vob file. save the project and dvd2avi will extract the audio. if it is ac3, i don't know if it is or not. if not used dvd decrypter in stream processing mode and it will extract the audio. take the project file into tmpgenc as the video imput, and the extracted audio into the audio input and have at it...

HUGE
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Since this was last posted, has anyone found a better way to get the HD extraction on to a DVD?

Thanks,

HUGE

bcc
08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
When you convert the .ty to .vob, have the conversion program use .vob files that are somewhere in the range of 1-4GB in size. Then, put as many of the .vob files as will fit onto a dvd. If your content is > 8.5GB, it won't fit on a dvd+r dl, so you'll obviously be using multiple dvds. Your .vob files can span multiple disks without requiring some separate split step.
If you're fixated on having the content fit on 1 dvd, transcode the video to mpeg4 first.

nkogni2
11-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I downloaded a hd movie and went through all the steps to creat the ifos and then used a shareware called shrinkdvd to shrink it, it successfully created a file within the 4.7GB. I am not sure what it does to its quality. I am burning the disk right now. As soon as I view it I can give you my subjective opinion.

bcc
11-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Good quality DVD+R DL disks can be had for $2/disk on sale now, so I have trouble understanding why anyone would want to spend time recompressing HD TV series to low-def.

nkogni2
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I have dl burner but still can only fit 8.5GB, the movie I edited was more than 9GB.

I am also wondering if the dvd player will be able to play back the high def since it is 1080i vs. 480i? Or would it go through some down conversion which essentially does the same thing...I am new to this hobby so I have no clue what the best way is to record and play back hd shows. Your expert inouts will be appreciated.

bcc
11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
I have dl burner but still can only fit 8.5GB, the movie I edited was more than 9GB.That's the messy case where you'd want to split the recording if you're set on archiving to optical media, and you don't want to lose any quality. I think most of us just archive to hard disk drives in this case.
I am also wondering if the dvd player will be able to play back the high def since it is 1080i vs. 480i? Or would it go through some down conversion which essentially does the same thing...I am new to this hobby so I have no clue what the best way is to record and play back hd shows. Your expert inouts will be appreciated.An ordinary consumer dvd player isn't going to play back high def. At best it may upconvert DVD-definition out an HD port. For true HD playback, you want some HD media player or an HTPC. See http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41533 for example.

nkogni2
11-22-2005, 12:37 AM
I just viewed the dvd I shrunk with shrink dvd and it was not worth watching but worth the try.