PDA

View Full Version : Problem on DVD Burn - no audio.

Andy in NYC
10-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Things I know to be true:

I have a S2 DirectTivo
Tytools 9 r 17

Things I don't like :(

When I burn to DVD and drop in my JVC - XV-S500 two things happen:
1. The DVD player displays MPEG rather than DVD
2. I have a brief instant of sound and then no sound at all for the entire DVD

The picture is perfect.

Steps I'm taking:

Start TyTool
Make Keyfile
Edit Keyfile (or not if I'm just grabbing the entire hour)
VOB-Mux File(s)
Create IFO Files/Dir
Exit Tytool

Start Nero
Select DVD UDF/ISO
Under UDF force XBox compatibility
Drag the Audio_TS and Video_TS directories into the Selected Area
Burn

Nero version is 5.5.10.56 (or 58 my eyes can't tell).

The show I'm working with is ER's Season Premiere, which, when I play through my receiver via Tivo is Left/Right audio - not surround or DTS, etc.

Additional 'fact': The Audio_TS subdirectory is EMPTY. The DVD plays fine on my computer, just not on the DVD player - again, the DVD player identifies the disk as MPEG rather than DVD on it's display.

Help!!! (and thanks)

captain_video
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Well, you make not like them but you'll have to live with them. Tivos record in mpeg2 format so what did you expect to see on your DVD player? DVD format is 720X480 or 352X480 whereas DTivos record in 480X480 which is the same as SVCDs. Tivos also record the audio as mpeg layer II except when recording a Dolby Digital soundtrack.

The AUDIO_TS folder is nothing more than a placeholder for DVD-Audio and is empty on virtually all DVDs, including commercial DVDs. If the DVD doesn't play on your DVD player then it's probably not compatible with SVCDs either. Get another DVD player for playing tvDVDs. You can get a cheap Cyberhome model for less than $40 that will play just about anything you throw at it.

Andy in NYC
10-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Per the 'Ok. Time for a list of working DVD Players for Tivo DVDs... ' the JVCs seem to work just fine. Additionally, this DVD player does support SVCD.

Since I don't know the inner workings of all the voodoo that goes on from Tivo TV to DVD inside the various software, I don't know what to expect.

Per VideoHelp.com, the player should work.

videohelp.com page for JVC XV-S500BK (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=JVC+XV-S500&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25)

Any further thoughts, or is my DVD player not going to work?
What about reencoding audio only?

Andy in NYC
10-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Is there anything I can do to make this work with the JVC (can't replace, all the equipment is JVC and compu-linked together)? I seem so close - perfect video, brief moment of sound and then video with silence.

Is there a semi-automatic way to reencode the audio and still use Jdiner's terrific utility?

Help on this would be wonderful.

Andrew

Andy in NYC
10-13-2004, 11:40 AM
OK,

Messed in the menu settings for my DVD player - can't say what really changed 'cause there isn't any indication that anything did (it's all pictographs).

Suddenly my DVD of ER plays perfectly!

Woo Hoo!

Now it's time to archive all my daughters Elmo Segments from Sesame Street and make a 2 hour DVD I can play at 4:30 in the morning when she wakes up.

Andy (hoping my daughter outgrows the early morning wake up).