PDA

View Full Version : Changing my Tivo IP settings?

whisla14
10-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Hello. Is there anyway I can change my Tivo's IP settings from my computer, so I don't have to remove the HDD from my TIVO and run the Sleeper ISO on it again? Thanks.

- Andrew

PlainBill
10-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Hello. Is there anyway I can change my Tivo's IP settings from my computer, so I don't have to remove the HDD from my TIVO and run the Sleeper ISO on it again? Thanks.

- Andrew
:rolleyes: The IP address is set in /etc/rc/d/rc.sysinit.author. Read ALL the instructions on editing it, or you'll wind up pulling the drive.

PlainBill

whisla14
10-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the response. I followed the instructions at this site (http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/41.html) on how to edit the file, and when I rebooted my Tivo, it had no connectivity to my network at all. The lights on my USB Ethernet adapter didn't illuminate either. I guess now I have to pull the drive. I wonder what went wrong.

Thanks for the help.

- Andrew

MarkZ
10-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi,
99% of the time you forget to chmod it back to executable when you edit it.

chmod +x rc.sysinit.author

M

whisla14
10-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Well would there be a way I could hook the Tivo harddrive to my computer and chmod just that file from Windows so I don't have to run the Sleeper ISO on it again? I'm thinking about trying that now.

Thanks.

- Andrew

tivo_box
10-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I am assuming that you do not want to perform all the stages of the sleeper iso again (backup, restore, surgery and hacks). There is a way to boot the sleeper iso and gain access to the shell without performing any of the stages on the iso. Here are some instructions as i remember them, someone more knowledgeable can correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Boot sleeper's iso
2. When the menu appears, press CTRL-ALT-F2, this should take you to another screen where you can get the shell prompt
3. Mount the Tivo partition that contains this file: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author (I think tivo.stevejenkins.com has good instructions on how to do that) --- check out this link first http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network_cd.html#_Toc67665666
4. Perform the "chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author" command to make the file executable
5. You are done. Unmount all and put the drive back in your Tivo.

WARNING: This is a rough outline of what you can do as best as I can remember. Do some more reading first please.

NutKase
10-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Well would there be a way I could hook the Tivo harddrive to my computer and chmod just that file from Windows so I don't have to run the Sleeper ISO on it again? I'm thinking about trying that now.

Thanks.

- Andrew

Jeez, reinstalling from scratch just to change the permissions on a file :(, unnecessary...

While you're in there with the drive pulled, put these 3 lines as the last three of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

/bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
setpri fifo 1 $$

Then edit rc.sysinit.author and comment out (add # before the command) the tnlited line.

This way if you ever forget to chmod 755 your .author while adding hacks or, in your case, changing your tivo ip, you won't have to pull the drive. You'll be able to get in via telnet, start tivoftpd and pull/put any file you want on there.

NutKase

whisla14
10-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I got it working. I followed tivo box's instructions and everything went smoothly. I already had the Tivo back together when I saw NutKase's post, so I didn't get the try it. Thanks again guys.

- Andrew