PDA

View Full Version : Does DTV know/care what level when activating?

mejojo
10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
I got a used HDVR-2 on eBay with hacked 4.0. Access card is on its way. I have also put together a hacked 4.0.1b disk.

When I call to activate, does DTV know/care what version it has, or do I need to activate with a "legal" version in it? If so, what versions are recognized as "valid"?

After it's up and running, is it simply a matter of resetting the network gateway value (and not hooking up a phone line) to inhibit any communication? Is this what *should* be done with a hacked box?

Joe

PlainBill
10-11-2004, 10:34 AM
I got a used HDVR-2 on eBay with hacked 4.0. Access card is on its way. I have also put together a hacked 4.0.1b disk.

When I call to activate, does DTV know/care what version it has, or do I need to activate with a "legal" version in it? If so, what versions are recognized as "valid"?

After it's up and running, is it simply a matter of resetting the network gateway value (and not hooking up a phone line) to inhibit any communication? Is this what *should* be done with a hacked box?

Joe

DirecTV doesn't ask about software version; without a phone line (or internet connection) they have no way of checking.

PlainBill

mejojo
10-11-2004, 11:50 PM
And so, does that mean that the standard thing to do with a hacked box is to clear out the gateway address in order to prevent it getting outside your house via the network?

Joe

PlainBill
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
And so, does that mean that the standard thing to do with a hacked box is to clear out the gateway address in order to prevent it getting outside your house via the network?

Joe

Rather, I would have the router block internet access for the IP address you assigned to the TiVo.

PlainBill

DTVZeR0
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
A word of advice. DIRECTV and the FCC are really cracking down on resellers and users of recoded dss access cards under 47 U.S.C. 553 so do yourself a favor and don't advertise the fact that you are buying access cards specifically designed to pirate DBS programming!

AlphaWolf
10-13-2004, 02:48 PM
A word of advice. DIRECTV and the FCC are really cracking down on resellers and users of recoded dss access cards under 47 U.S.C. 553 so do yourself a favor and don't advertise the fact that you are buying access cards specifically designed to pirate DBS programming!

Theres nothing being pirated here at all, just people adding features to their tivo that you can't otherwise get no matter how much money you pay. In fact, they aren't even touching the access card at all in this process.

BAHitman
10-13-2004, 07:54 PM
funny... by "on it's way" I presumed that his card was on it's way from DirecTV, since you have to get a new one when you activate a "used" reciever (not to mention the $20 they charge you for it...)