PDA

View Full Version : killhdinitrd for 3.1.1d

HuMan321
10-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I have read many conflicting posts as to whether this process will work on the 3.1.1d series 2 software. It is my understanding that some are having problems with this update and it looks like there may be future patch upgrades. If this killhdinitrd process would work on a 3.1.1d system, would it break if the software upgraded?
I need the 3.1.1d softwareas my locals are on the 72.5 bird but would like to extract and have some of the hacks installed. I have the phone line plugged in to activate any updates that might help this early version of 3.1.1d software, I do not want to be overwritten though.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Many thanks for your patience to all that help on this board

PS
My units are rid units so any 4.x are ruled out if I am comprehending any of this reading. I must reitterate, my locals are on the 72.5 bird and require a certain era model and as I understand it, the 3.1.1d software

PlainBill
10-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I have read many conflicting posts as to whether this process will work on the 3.1.1d series 2 software. It is my understanding that some are having problems with this update and it looks like there may be future patch upgrades. If this killhdinitrd process would work on a 3.1.1d system, would it break if the software upgraded?
I need the 3.1.1d softwareas my locals are on the 72.5 bird but would like to extract and have some of the hacks installed. I have the phone line plugged in to activate any updates that might help this early version of 3.1.1d software, I do not want to be overwritten though.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Many thanks for your patience to all that help on this board

PS
My units are rid units so any 4.x are ruled out if I am comprehending any of this reading. I must reitterate, my locals are on the 72.5 bird and require a certain era model and as I understand it, the 3.1.1d software

This will work. Killhdinitrd is not compatible with the kernel supplied with 3.1.1d, but IS compatible with 3.1.1c's kernel. The only difference between those two kernels is in inconsequential areas (initrd, compilation date, etc).

The process is straighforward. Use bootpage -p to determine the active partition set (either 2-3-4 or 5-6-7). Instead of running killhdinitrd on the 3.1.1d kernel, back up that kernel using the dd command, replace it with an unaltered 3.1.1c kernel (found in the files section), and run killhdinitrd on the 3.1.1c kernel. Proceed by adding rc.sysinit.author, etc.

One common precaution is to include updatesoftware=false in the boot parameters. This means that if a software update (to 3.1.1e, for example) is send down, it will not be installed. It is a trivial matter to do the update manually, then transfer the hacks over to the new root, reboot, and you're running the new software and your hacks without even pulling the drive.

PlainBill

HuMan321
10-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the reply. If I started with 3.1.1c like you said and felt I need to add updates manually, are they readily available.
For example, It is my understanding that I MUST have update 3.1.1d for my IRD to recognize the 72.5 bird with my 2nd satellite dish to receive my locals.

I assume I would lose my recordings, season passes, etc. by doing as you suggest in backing up "d" and obtaining a fresh "c" and installing it that way?

In addition to just getting our locals started there are some issues with the guide and channel data being incorrect on one of the networks. I believe they will have to patch this to fix it. In that example only a few of the population would need this. I am worried it might not be readily available since it is not mainstream updates. Can you please point me to the best thread on the install of this killhdinitrd? You mention to proceed adding rc.sysinit.author, etc. and that is not common knowledge to me.
Thanks again for the reply

psxboy
10-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Quick note: The Software Version you are running and the Kernel that comes with it are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. ie. 3.1.1c kernel != 3.1.1c software.

If you have the 3.1.1d software installed and are BOOTING with a 3.1.1c kernel, you are still RUNNING the 3.1.1d software version.

Let's see, how else can I explain this...

Think of it this way... your Walkman is STILL a Walkman whether you are using Duracell batteries or Energizer batteries in it. (Ok, maybe that was a little too simplistic.) In the case of Tivo software versions, you'd still be running the 3.1.1d software even though you put in a 3.1.1c battery (kernel).

Make sense?

-psxboy

DCameronMauch
10-13-2004, 11:10 AM
How do you go completely back to 3.1.1c?

I noticed thing morning my receiver updated and rebooted earlier around 1:30AM CST. First thing I noticed was the now playing menu looked different.

I took out the drive, put it in a linux box, booted with the mfstools CD, and ran the following commands:

bootpage -p /dev/hdb returned: root=/dev/hda4
bootpage -b /dev/hdb returned: boot partition 4

So I did this:

bootpage -f -P "root=/dev/hda7 updatesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdb

Seems to have worked. Put the drive back in the tivo and booted. All my hacks came back up. But the system info screen says I'm still running 3.1.1d. And the now playing menu still looks different.

Did I miss something? Or do something wrong? If necessary, I still have the original kernel and root images stored away.

psxboy
10-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Seems to have worked. Put the drive back in the tivo and booted. All my hacks came back up. But the system info screen says I'm still running 3.1.1d. And the now playing menu still looks different.
The version displayed on the System Info screen is probably coming from the MFS database, which wouldn't be automagically updated to reflect your manually flipping the bootpage around. And the differences in the Now Playing screen are also likely because of changes made in the MFS database, which wouldn't be affected by switching between the alternate & boot partitions.

Probably the only way to go completely back to the pre-"d" status (and thus roll-back the changes that were made to the MFS database) is to restore from a backup.

-psxboy

HuMan321
10-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks psx,

At the risk of sounding like a complete ***** let me ask a couple more questions.
I would find a virgin 3.1.1c version from the files section? Or is my version of kernal still 3.1.1c and I would use it to install killhdinitrd? If the first one was correct, is there a 3.1.1d around that I could load manually? Please direct me to the dumber than newbie forum :)
Thanks

psxboy
10-13-2004, 12:07 PM
I would find a virgin 3.1.1c version from the files section?
Yes. This thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37857) has copies of kernels that are supported by killhdinitrd.

Or is my version of kernal still 3.1.1c and I would use it to install killhdinitrd?
If you received the 3.1.1d update, then you have the copy of the kernel that came with 3.1.1d. (Which is technically the same kernel as 3.1.1c but the initrd attached to it is different and thus isn't support by killhdinitrd.)

If the first one was correct, is there a 3.1.1d around that I could load manually?
You don't need to... at the risk of making this TOO easy ;) here is your upgrade path:

Get a copy of a 3.1.1c kernel (or copy it from your inactive kernel partition).
Patch it with killhdinitrd.
Make a backup of your current 3.1.1d kernel and replace it with the killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel.
Boot your Tivo.

If you do all of that, you'll be booting into software version 3.1.1d with a hacked 3.1.1c kernel. It's the same as booting into software version 3.1.1d with the 3.1.1d kernel, except you can now hack the Tivo to your heart's content.

-psxboy

DCameronMauch
10-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Is the tivoapp binary different with 3.1.1d? Since I am using that patch to this binary to prevent video encryption.

If the MFS database has been updated, I guess it doesn't matter so long as it is backwards compatible with 3.1.1c. And all my hacks continue to work. Got a show recording now. Then I will transfer over to PC with TyTool to make sure video encryption is still disabled.

EDIT: I answered my own question. The tivoapp binary is different.

HuMan321
10-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks for taking pity on me.

One last question for awhile.
I am at 3.1.1d and understand what you say. I am also expecting and update/patch to my 3.1.1d because there are problems with the guide.
That being said, should I wait until the updating is complete for my new locals and then do it? Or can I do it and add manually (assuming they would be available) any updates I feel I need. I ask this because an earlier post suggested changing updates to false so it would not update automatically. But in my case I will nedd the patch when they have it figured out
Thanks again...

PlainBill
10-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for taking pity on me.

One last question for awhile.
I am at 3.1.1d and understand what you say. I am also expecting and update/patch to my 3.1.1d because there are problems with the guide.
That being said, should I wait until the updating is complete for my new locals and then do it? Or can I do it and add manually (assuming they would be available) any updates I feel I need. I ask this because an earlier post suggested changing updates to false so it would not update automatically. But in my case I will nedd the patch when they have it figured out
Thanks again...

I'd suggest hacking it right away. If you set 'updatesoftware=false' you will be in control as to when the next software update is installed. Once the tivoapp patches for that software are released, you can update in a few hours without even pulling the drive. In the meantime, you can be extracting videos, or whatever else you want to do with your Tivo.

PlainBill

psxboy
10-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I am also expecting and update/patch to my 3.1.1d because there are problems with the guide.
Not necessarily... from what I could glean from the description of your problem, it may be that the guide data for that particular channel/lineup is incorrect. In that case, all Tivo has to do is fix the guide data on their end... no patches or software updates should be necessary. But that's neither here nor there...

I ask this because an earlier post suggested changing updates to false so it would not update automatically. But in my case I will nedd the patch when they have it figured out.
Expanding on PlainBill's advice, setting 'updatesoftware=false' to disable updates is a bit of a misnomer. When the Tivo gets a software update, it is downloaded & imported into the MFS database. Then, the Tivo applies the update overnight. When you set 'updatesoftware=false' you still get the update & it's loaded into the MFS database... the only difference with this variable set is the Tivo waits for you to tell it to apply the update.

In this situation, you can delay applying the update until you are comfortable with it. This will give you time to find any new patch locations that need to be applied, etc. before actually allowing the Tivo to update.

-psxboy

psxboy
10-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Is the tivoapp binary different with 3.1.1d? Since I am using that patch to this binary to prevent video encryption.
EDIT: I answered my own question. The tivoapp binary is different.
This thread (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33946) has already been updated to reflect the correct patch locations for 3.1.1d, btw.

-psxboy

DCameronMauch
10-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Cool. Thank you. I was previously unaware of that thread.

HuMan321
10-15-2004, 04:53 PM
I have a Hughes SD-DVR40.
I have copied my original 40 gig drive to a new 160gb a drive per Hinsdale.
I will put the 40Gig away in the closet. Would this suffice for making a copy of 3.1.1d as suggested?
Now I am assuming I need to run the bootpage -p to determine the active partition. Once I find that out I replace it with an unaltered 3.1.1c kernel which I have already downloaded. I am not quite sure how to do this.

Would the command be something like this?
killhdinitrd /dev/hdd6 if the active partition was 6 and my new 160 drive was on secondary slave?
Do I need to mount hdd6?

I am also struggling with the rc.sysinitauthor
The advice given was to include updatesoftware=false in the boot parameters. Is this where I would include it?

I have the drives out in the PC and am booting to MFS Tools 2.0 now.

I am trying to finish what is smart while the drives are out. Including anything to do with adding the drivers for my Linksys USB200M.
Once I get that working I remember alot from copying files over to my old series 1
As you can see I am in sorry shape. Any help, links etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks
Most of the references aroung for killhdinitrd refer to HD systems. Whay is unclear to me is if my system would be the same.
Also, my reading of posts tell me that the drivers for the Linksys USB200M are already on the HDTivo's. All you need to do is call for them in .author
Are they already on my Hughes SDDVR40?