PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Need to retrieve shows off of a Series1 Sony

Diranged
10-13-2004, 07:18 PM
So I gave my GF my Sony Series1 Tivo about a year ago. It had an added hard drive (total of 80GB of space) and the TivoNet card in it. Its worked finr for a long time. It is hacked -- obviously -- such that I can telnet to it when its plugged into the network. Unfortuantely, its been a LONG time since I logged into it and I now need to get a few shows off of it. The hard drives are making some very very nasty sounds and the video has started to skip, so I need to be able to turn it on, quickly break into it, and get the TV shows off of it that I want.

I currently use a DirecTivo Series2 with the TYtools to rip stuff. Can I somehow install the tytools onto my Series1 and rip them the same way? Or do I need to use some other tools? I honestly cannot remember!

After that, I will go down the route of trying to put a new drive in it and using an image to restore it.

(edit)
So I gave my GF my Sony Series1 Tivo about a year ago. It had an added hard drive (total of 80GB of space) and the TivoNet card in it. Its worked finr for a long time. It is hacked -- obviously -- such that I can telnet to it when its plugged into the network. Unfortuantely, its been a LONG time since I logged into it and I now need to get a few shows off of it. The hard drives are making some very very nasty sounds and the video has started to skip, so I need to be able to turn it on, quickly break into it, and get the TV shows off of it that I want.

I currently use a DirecTivo Series2 with the TYtools to rip stuff. Can I somehow install the tytools onto my Series1 and rip them the same way? Or do I need to use some other tools? I honestly cannot remember!

After that, I will go down the route of trying to put a new drive in it and using an image to restore it.

classicsat
10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I know MFS-FTP works on S1s. I suppose Ty tools works as well.

JJBliss
10-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Were the shows recorded with or without scrambling being disabled?

Diranged
10-13-2004, 09:34 PM
I do not believe that I disabled scrambling -- back when I hacked this thing originally, I hadnt even heard about that.

JJBliss
10-13-2004, 11:23 PM
I do not believe that I disabled scrambling -- back when I hacked this thing originally, I hadnt even heard about that.

Then what do you intend to do with the shows that you take off of the noisy unit?

eastwind
10-14-2004, 02:23 AM
I thought scrambled shows could be extracted with unscramble.o (or something like that). ??

At any rate could he use mfs_ftp to pull the shows (scrambled) and put them back after putting in a new HD?

ew

Diranged
10-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Then what do you intend to do with the shows that you take off of the noisy unit?

My girlfriend recorded that mini-series the "4400" thing for her mom. She just wants to get them to Tape (or DVD) so her mom can watch them. I'm just not sure that the hard drives will last long enough to play 6 hours of shows so we can record them to VCR. It might be my only real option though...

rfc
10-14-2004, 08:31 PM
I thought scrambled shows could be extracted with unscramble.o (or something like that). ??

ew

Right on the money.

"insmod unscramble.o"
play the desired shows for a few seconds
use t_server to bring them across to the pc
tytools to burn dvds (or whatever)

:)