PDA

View Full Version : New: AccTivo - Sync / Reporting tool for eTivo users

samrad
10-15-2004, 03:54 AM
http://isamrad.com/acctivo/

Originally made for my girlfriend and I, it's an app that syncs finished eTivo shows to a folder (like laptop or some device). It also has some reporting features and managment tools for eTivo. Check out the detail here: http://isamrad.com/acctivo/ ...

I'm currently looking for some people to test it out before I release it to the masses (ensure some quality :) ). Also, I'm using this to gauge how many people might be interested in something like this. It'll help me decide how much more time to spend on it. Please PM me, shoot me a email, or reply to this thread. Thanks!

Screen shots:

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/nowplaying_small.jpg http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/settings_small.jpg

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/reports_small.jpg http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/alerts_small.jpg

UPDATE 11/13/04: Looks like the latest build has a bunch of the kinks worked out of it so everyone should feel free to install it: http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/setup

samrad
10-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Great, i should be wrapping up and creating the msi before halloween ... not sure how much free time I'll have, could be a lot earlier. Then I'll shoot you guys (plus some others who responded by email) a link to the setup.

Thanks! :)

samrad
10-26-2004, 03:00 PM
<edit by mrb51: me too posts removed>

If you want in on the beta just Email me and don't reply here. I think I had a HD crash on my eTivo share so it has set me back a bit, but the app is almost good to go. Stay tuned!

UDPATE: no HD crash, chkdsk fixed some things and I'm good to go :)

samrad
10-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks to all those who want to participate in the beta! I've gotten a good amount of responses.

The first build was relelased today (Build 01). If you didn't get a link or want to join the beta then plz email me (samrad@isamrad.com).

solidtechie
10-30-2004, 03:43 AM
Just a few quick notes on the setup process:

1. The setup page says click install to install or save for installation on another computer - it didn't give me the chance to save, which i would have much prefered to do, as I plan to install on 2 machines.

2. Almost at the end of seting up, I got the following error:

MDAC 2.8 RTM
Microsoft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description:

MDAC 2.8 RTM is incompatible with this version of Windows. All of its features are currently part of Windows.

Contact Information:

Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com
Telephone: (425) 635-7172 (U.S.) or (905) 568-3503 (Canada)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:This information is subject to change.
2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use.

FWIW, I have XP Pro with SP2.

I haven't yet launched the app, I'll let you know, when I have...

solidtechie
10-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Darn.

Just read the FAQ.....

solidtechie
10-30-2004, 04:05 AM
Okay, running it now.

First thoughts are:

It tells me about the path not being valid - fair enough

Sync shows - it appears to be doing something, but I get a message box:
AccTiVo Telnet - RunTime Error 94 - "Invalid use of Null".

It then counts through the Shows on TiVo, and displays a message above the bar "Removing local Shows" - that makes me a little nervous.

The blue bar I thought was a progress bar, and the counter was counting the number of shows. I'm now guessing that isn't the case - or if it is, it's broken. It may be related to the error, when I clicked the OK button, the sync window (which had counted to 741 disappeared.

I go back to Now playing, and am told there are no shows.
Try to sync again - same error.

Okay. My Bad - I hadn't set the ip of the eTiVo service in options - now it's synced OK

I'll give it a spin and report back...

samrad
10-30-2004, 05:00 AM
Darn.

Just read the FAQ.....

yeah the mdac and other install things are in the faq :)

samrad
10-30-2004, 05:02 AM
Okay, running it now.

First thoughts are:

It tells me about the path not being valid - fair enough

Sync shows - it appears to be doing something, but I get a message box:
AccTiVo Telnet - RunTime Error 94 - "Invalid use of Null".

It then counts through the Shows on TiVo, and displays a message above the bar "Removing local Shows" - that makes me a little nervous.

The blue bar I thought was a progress bar, and the counter was counting the number of shows. I'm now guessing that isn't the case - or if it is, it's broken. It may be related to the error, when I clicked the OK button, the sync window (which had counted to 741 disappeared.

I go back to Now playing, and am told there are no shows.
Try to sync again - same error.

Okay. My Bad - I hadn't set the ip of the eTiVo service in options - now it's synced OK

I'll give it a spin and report back...

Yeah eTivo connection properties need to be setup before it can sync (so it knows where to go). The progress bar not working is a bug, I'll add it to the bug page. Counter is counting the seconds it takes to transfer the file, might not be that useful but lets you know something is going on.

I'll also have to give a better error message when the sync fails. :)

solidtechie
10-31-2004, 05:37 AM
I've been trying to load AccTiVo on my laptop. It's not working - I get the following message after having installed the ActiveX control:

Setup cannot run from this Web page. Verify you have the correct browser security settings, click Refresh, and select Yes when asked to install the InstallShield Wizard.

I have checked the security settings, but, unhelpfully, the error doesn't tell me which setting (if any) is incorrect.

There are several COM+ errors in the eventlog, such as:

The COM+ Event System failed to create an instance of the subscriber partition:{41E90F3E-56C1-4633-81C3-6E8BAC8BDD70}!new:{D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}. CoGetObject returned HRESULT 800706BA.

and

The COM+ Event System attempted to fire the EventObjectChange::ChangedSubscription event but received a bad return code. HRESULT was 80040201.

HTH...

samrad
10-31-2004, 06:12 AM
Sounds like the installshield com object doesn't want to install on your laptop for some reason. I created a downloadable version of the setup and added a link to it on step 3 of the acctivo setup page, unzip it and open folder disk1 and run setup.exe from there. hopefully that will work!

solidtechie
10-31-2004, 08:19 AM
Well, I've downloaded the zip file, extracted and installed, apparently without error.

When I run it (first time) I get:

A Problem occurred while AccTiVo was communicating with the OLS server or ActiveX control.

Close the OLE server and restart it outside of AccTiVo. Then try the original operation again in AccTiVo

I click OK a few times, and the dialog represents - after half a dozen or so, the AccTiVo child window appears inside the parent, followed by a message:

Microsoft Office Access: Cannot hide Access unless a form is on screen

I dismiss this, and it reverts to the previous message - in an apparently unending loop. I have to kill it in Task Manager to recover...

So sorry to be the first to break it! ;)

solidtechie
10-31-2004, 08:42 AM
A couple more minor problems for you:

Attached are a couple of screnshots from my Laptop using large fonts - you will see that all the text doesn't line up. Easily cured by reverting to small fonts, but I thought you ought to know.

Also, if you right click, but don't select an item from the menu, the menu remains on screen indefinately. Most Right click menu's disappear when you click away.

samrad
10-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, I've downloaded the zip file, extracted and installed, apparently without error.

When I run it (first time) I get:

I click OK a few times, and the dialog represents - after half a dozen or so, the AccTiVo child window appears inside the parent, followed by a message:

I dismiss this, and it reverts to the previous message - in an apparently unending loop. I have to kill it in Task Manager to recover...

So sorry to be the first to break it! ;)

Humm sounds like this could be a timing issue. what's the speed and OS of the laptop. Shoot me your email to so i can give you a modified AccTivo to help figure out the problem.

samrad
10-31-2004, 04:00 PM
A couple more minor problems for you:

Attached are a couple of screnshots from my Laptop using large fonts - you will see that all the text doesn't line up. Easily cured by reverting to small fonts, but I thought you ought to know.

Also, if you right click, but don't select an item from the menu, the menu remains on screen indefinately. Most Right click menu's disappear when you click away.

I added these 2 issues as bugs on the setup page :)

solidtechie
11-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Humm sounds like this could be a timing issue. what's the speed and OS of the laptop. Shoot me your email to so i can give you a modified AccTivo to help figure out the problem.

It's an old(er) PIII 866 with speedstep with 512MB PC133 RAM I'll PM my e-mail address...

solidtechie
11-01-2004, 06:34 AM
FWIW:

Tried to setup AccTivo on another laptop today, running Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3 - the online install doesn't appear to like the browser. I have downloaded the zip file though, so will set it up a little later...

May I make a suggestion - make mention of the FAQ at the top of the page- many people may not scroll down that far, if they get to point 6 of the install....

solidtechie
11-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Work Laptop.

Installed first time without error.

Started up, set my local directory. Acctivo says:

The new path was saved, but doesn't appear to be a valid path.

Nevertheless it appeared to work -sort of - I sync'd a show. The new show showed up under local shows in AccTivo and the new directory showed up, under my path (C:\shows\).

However, the the sync box appeared for about 3 seconds, then vanished. The show itself didn't appear - I'm guessing that was optimistic, as I am on a remote network! It would be nice to get this to work eventually - I have secure access to my home server. It's as easy for me to ftp shows from home when I'm in the office, as it is to take the laptop out at home and sync shows overnight...

Went back to settings, browsed to the shows directory, clicked OK - still the same message as above.

Tooltip on the scroll bar - in Now Playing. When I scroll to the bottom - it says (for example) 23 of 27 shows - there are 4 visible on screen - so I guess it's sorta right - however, the position of the scroll bar cursor is below the last (27th) show - I find this quite annoying.

solidtechie
11-01-2004, 04:30 PM
There's a date issue somewhere.

I just e-tivo'd a show, then synced with AccTiVo.

My date settings are UK format : DD/MM/YY

Screen grab show the latest show in US format...

samrad
11-01-2004, 06:48 PM
FWIW:

Tried to setup AccTivo on another laptop today, running Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3 - the online install doesn't appear to like the browser. I have downloaded the zip file though, so will set it up a little later...

May I make a suggestion - make mention of the FAQ at the top of the page- many people may not scroll down that far, if they get to point 6 of the install....

Added hyperlinks at the top to jump to the sections, thanks for the input!

samrad
11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Work Laptop.

Installed first time without error.

Started up, set my local directory. Acctivo says:

Nevertheless it appeared to work -sort of - I sync'd a show. The new show showed up under local shows in AccTivo and the new directory showed up, under my path (C:\shows\).

However, the the sync box appeared for about 3 seconds, then vanished. The show itself didn't appear - I'm guessing that was optimistic, as I am on a remote network! It would be nice to get this to work eventually - I have secure access to my home server. It's as easy for me to ftp shows from home when I'm in the office, as it is to take the laptop out at home and sync shows overnight...

Went back to settings, browsed to the shows directory, clicked OK - still the same message as above.

Tooltip on the scroll bar - in Now Playing. When I scroll to the bottom - it says (for example) 23 of 27 shows - there are 4 visible on screen - so I guess it's sorta right - however, the position of the scroll bar cursor is below the last (27th) show - I find this quite annoying.

http sync doesn't work yet (next beta build), only the file path sync works. I need to add better error messages during the sync (added bug). I think that might be the problem your hitting there.

directory not existing message box is a bug, but as long as the path is valid it should work.

tooltip just happens, not really under my control so I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix that one.

samrad
11-01-2004, 07:02 PM
There's a date issue somewhere.

I just e-tivo'd a show, then synced with AccTiVo.

My date settings are UK format : DD/MM/YY

Screen grab show the latest show in US format...

Yeah right now it is hard coded to MM/DD/YYYY. Added as a bug.

solidtechie
11-02-2004, 05:51 AM
Yeah right now it is hard coded to MM/DD/YYYY. Added as a bug.

No, no. You've missed the point - or, it's more broken than you think! ;)

Have another look at the grab... All my shows are in the correct UK format (like the first entry) except the last one in the list, which is in the incorrect US format.

Also, a couple of other issues - the reports aren't yet showing any recordings for November - albeit only a single show in the list for November. Only info for September and October is displayed.

<later> now there is a second show for November, the stats show up...

And, When I was atempting to get the screen grap, I was trying to do ALT+PrtScrn to capture only the current window. I don't know if this is expected behaviour, but when I pressed ALT, the list scrolled to the top - I would expect this with HOME, not with ALT

solidtechie
11-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Bug/feature request:

Dunno about this one, so I'll let you decide! ;)

When you click on a show in Now Showing, in order to populate the preview strip, IMO the entry should be highlited in some way, so that you know which show you are previewing - sounds trivial, but maybe I just went away from the desk for a moment, and forgot what I was doing...

solidtechie
11-02-2004, 06:02 AM
I have AccTivo running on the eTiVo server. Shouldn't AccTivo recognise that the shows are also on the local machine? I currently cannot select "this machine" on that machine - ie it believes that there is nothing to display.

I accept that the 2 lists would absolutely be identical.

Maybe connected, I don't know.

I think AccTivo should be able to pick up on the fact that the machine (in this case, ny laptop which I use for watching shows) already has shows on it when installed, and add them to the database.

I also think, that as well as the Server delete function, perhaps there ought to be a local delete option too?

samrad
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
No, no. You've missed the point - or, it's more broken than you think! ;)

Have another look at the grab... All my shows are in the correct UK format (like the first entry) except the last one in the list, which is in the incorrect US format.

That's wierd! I see what you mean now. I have no idea why it would be doing that. I'll change my local settings and investigate.

samrad
11-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Bug/feature request:

Dunno about this one, so I'll let you decide! ;)

When you click on a show in Now Showing, in order to populate the preview strip, IMO the entry should be highlited in some way, so that you know which show you are previewing - sounds trivial, but maybe I just went away from the desk for a moment, and forgot what I was doing...

I added it as a feature request and I'll investigate. Currently i give the name of the show just above the preview strip, but that's probably not enough nor is it noticable.

Masnark
11-02-2004, 08:28 PM
That's wierd! I see what you mean now. I have no idea why it would be doing that. I'll change my local settings and investigate.

samrad, make sure this is not an EtiVo bug. I had a bunch of places where I used to have formatting bugs - I thought I nailed them all, but it might be that I still have a problem there.

samrad
11-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I have AccTivo running on the eTiVo server. Shouldn't AccTivo recognise that the shows are also on the local machine? I currently cannot select "this machine" on that machine - ie it believes that there is nothing to display.

I accept that the 2 lists would absolutely be identical.

Maybe connected, I don't know.

I talk to etivo via the telnet port to get the show list, currently it doesn't care where eTivo is installed to (this machine, that machine, where ever). I'll add a feature request to give it additional functionality when installed on the same machine as etivo.

I think AccTivo should be able to pick up on the fact that the machine (in this case, ny laptop which I use for watching shows) already has shows on it when installed, and add them to the database.

I am working on the "check database integrity" feature which will traverse the path you have set to save videos too and read the folder names to see if they match with what is in the database. More of a matience/upgrade feature though.

I also think, that as well as the Server delete function, perhaps there ought to be a local delete option too?

Local delete option (if you have synced shows to the laptop) is to uncheck sync. I should probably make that more clear. Server delete will leverage the eTivo delete mechanisms (coming out in etivo soon i hope) to delete shows from the server.

rung
11-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Here's a feature request (love your program by the way): How about the ability to list the shows on the tivo (through the etivo server) and point-and-click to manually schedule for download/re-encoding?

Thanks,
Rung

samrad
11-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Here's a feature request (love your program by the way): How about the ability to list the shows on the tivo (through the etivo server) and point-and-click to manually schedule for download/re-encoding?

Thanks! I added this to the feature request list. I plan on adding more eTivo managment functionality once I nail down the current sync features and get all the current functionality working. ;)

Abone9
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey,

I just tried installing acctivo on my laptop running xp sp 1 and it is returning the error: The expression you entered has a function name that AccTivo can't find. I installed it without any problems on my server 2003 machine but for the life of me can't get it to install on my laptop. I installed the runtime and tried installing with the local files along with running the repair. Is there something that I am overlooking?

Aaron

samrad
11-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Hey,

I just tried installing acctivo on my laptop running xp sp 1 and it is returning the error: The expression you entered has a function name that AccTivo can't find. I installed it without any problems on my server 2003 machine but for the life of me can't get it to install on my laptop. I installed the runtime and tried installing with the local files along with running the repair. Is there something that I am overlooking?

Humm, it sounds like there is a reference missing. Can you try installing MDAC 2.8 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en) and see if you still get the error. Also, are there any other differences between the 2 machines on Office software installed?

thanks!
-sam

Abone9
11-06-2004, 01:30 AM
I ended up just re-imaging my laptop with xp home sp2 and it is now working. Only problem is when I try to synch the box pops up and then disappears and nothing is synched. I saw you said earlier in the thread that it doesn't work with http yet but how do I change that to file download? They synching worked on my server 2003 machine and I didn't have to change anything. Any Ideas?

Aaron

samrad
11-06-2004, 01:57 AM
I ended up just re-imaging my laptop with xp home sp2 and it is now working. Only problem is when I try to synch the box pops up and then disappears and nothing is synched. I saw you said earlier in the thread that it doesn't work with http yet but how do I change that to file download? They synching worked on my server 2003 machine and I didn't have to change anything. Any Ideas?

I assume your videos are accessible though the file path (like \\machinename\share path instead of c:\) and the other thing to make sure of is you have permission on the share. If you have to log in to access the share then do that first then run the sync (bug found by mark).

So ensure that you can see the path from the laptop and that you have a valid save to path on the laptop... lemme know if that helps!

rung
11-06-2004, 08:08 AM
I assume your videos are accessible though the file path (like \\machinename\share path instead of c:\) and the other thing to make sure of is you have permission on the share. If you have to log in to access the share then do that first then run the sync (bug found by mark).

So ensure that you can see the path from the laptop and that you have a valid save to path on the laptop... lemme know if that helps!

I had a similar problem at first since my etivo config file was calling out c:\data not \\machinename\data. Even after I changed it, I couldn't get acctivo to get the files. I think the acctivo's local database was still trying to fetch from c:\data. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling acctivo.

Rung

samrad
11-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I had a similar problem at first since my etivo config file was calling out c:\data not \\machinename\data. Even after I changed it, I couldn't get acctivo to get the files. I think the acctivo's local database was still trying to fetch from c:\data. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling acctivo.

ahh good point, i cache the info and don't update it. I should check, I'll create another bug for this problem.

sanderton
11-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Does this require IIS to work?

The connection seems to be OK, but when I sync the dialog comes up for a few seconds, the Now Playing says there are no shows?

samrad
11-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Does this require IIS to work?

The connection seems to be OK, but when I sync the dialog comes up for a few seconds, the Now Playing says there are no shows?

No IIS is not required on the machine, check a few things though:

1. ensure that it can connect to the eTivo server (on the settings page click the test etivo settings, looks like you already did this though)

2. local save path is vaild

3. eTivo file share is an actual share that you can connect to(\\machinename\share)

also, what type of sync r u doing?

sanderton
11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
1 . I can connect to the server.

2. It gives me a "not a valid Path" message - but I don't see what I can do differently? The path in question is "G:/Vids/", which exists?

3. The eTivo files are on my local PC. PocketeTivo finds them fine, so I guess that's OK.

I am thrying a "don't automatically downlod" sync - but it makes no difference whaich one I try.

samrad
11-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks to all the beta testers! A new build is avalible on the site, features:

Add ability to sync via HTTP (Josh)
Sorting by show name should also order each show by original air date (Bob)
Add Original Air Date to the Now Playing tab (Bob)
Highlight which show is selected in the now playing list (SolidTechie)
Check Database works
Sync progress bar works (SolidTechie)
'Show Selection' automatic sync works (Mark M)

Masnark
11-07-2004, 08:45 PM
1 . I can connect to the server.

2. It gives me a "not a valid Path" message - but I don't see what I can do differently? The path in question is "G:/Vids/", which exists?

3. The eTivo files are on my local PC. PocketeTivo finds them fine, so I guess that's OK.

I am thrying a "don't automatically downlod" sync - but it makes no difference whaich one I try.

Do you have it in the settings as "g:/vids/" or "g:\vids\"?

Easy to overlook when you move between Linux/Unix worlds and the PC world.

he244
11-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Hello,

I have the latest version of Acctivo installed.

The etivo test connection passes
The Home network status is stuck at orange, checking connection
Syncing does not work and the "Now Playing" is never populated.

Any thoughts?

Bob

samrad
11-08-2004, 03:38 AM
Do you have it in the settings as "g:/vids/" or "g:\vids\"?

Easy to overlook when you move between Linux/Unix worlds and the PC world.

Masnark is right, using "\" is key. When entering the path on the settings page it should add a "\" at the end if it doesn't exist.

sanderton
11-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Masnark is right, using "\" is key. When entering the path on the settings page it should add a "\" at the end if it doesn't exist.

I entered it by clicking the "browse" button and double clicking on the folder, so I presume it's right!

Like the poster abover, the checking home network button stays orange.

Thought - I have several hundred encoded shows, and if I telnet in to ETiVo and type "list" it's quite a while before anything happens - coudl it just be timing out?

Masnark
11-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I entered it by clicking the "browse" button and double clicking on the folder, so I presume it's right!

Thought - I have several hundred encoded shows, and if I telnet in to ETiVo and type "list" it's quite a while before anything happens - coudl it just be timing out?

Hmm..

When you say "list" - do you mean "lr"? I seem to recall EtiVo using list to fetch the not-encoded shows on your TiVo and "lr" listing the ready shows. I may be wrong though, I have a terrible memory.

If lr is taking a long time, then I would be interested - on Telnet running lr should respond near-instantanious. What computer are you using as your EtiVo machine?

(Just to be clear, "list" can take some time, depending on various factors)

samrad
11-08-2004, 03:59 PM

it shouldn't be timing out, though for 1700 shows it takes 1.5-2.5 minutes to fetch all the xml from eTivo (from my tests on some other persons machine over the internet).

Some more questions for you and he244:
in your acctivo folder do you see a input.xml and a transformed.xml?
can you zip both and send it to me?

sanderton
11-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Here you are.

If I use your browse button to navigate to the folder I want to use it gives the error message "The new path was saved, but doesn't appear to be a valid path".

rung
11-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but I had some trouble with XP SP2's firewall. Make sure you can telnet to port 6969 from your laptap ("telnet servername 6969"). If not, try turning off the firewall on the server and repeating. I found that I had to delete the etivosrv.exe exception and re-add it to get the telnet to work with the firewall on.

samrad
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Here you are.

If I use your browse button to navigate to the folder I want to use it gives the error message "The new path was saved, but doesn't appear to be a valid path".

thanks! I think i found the problem. Can you try replacing your client_be.mdb with this one (attached) and try to sync again? I'll add this fix to the website tonight, assuming it works.

samrad
11-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but I had some trouble with XP SP2's firewall. Make sure you can telnet to port 6969 from your laptap ("telnet servername 6969"). If not, try turning off the firewall on the server and repeating. I found that I had to delete the etivosrv.exe exception and re-add it to get the telnet to work with the firewall on.

Great point rung, i use a telnet session to communicate with etivo so having access to the port is importaint.

samrad
11-13-2004, 10:29 PM
The builds are solid enough (just after 3!) for everyone to install. Special thanks to everyone who contributed! Install it at: http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/setup

questions / comments? reply to this thread or email me: samrad@isamrad.com

I'll continue to update and fix bugs.

Thanks!
-sam

samrad
11-15-2004, 03:21 AM
I had some "extra" time this weekend and added a calendar view that will be in the next build.

Figured I'd post it:

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/calendarview.jpg

Clicking on a day will bring up the shows for that day and you can act on it (sync, delete, play, ect...). There are some filters at the bottom of the calendar that change how the calendar populates.

Hope everyone likes it!

he244
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
I had some "extra" time this weekend and added a calendar view that will be in the next build.

Figured I'd post it:

Clicking on a day will bring up the shows for that day and you can act on it (sync, delete, play, ect...). There are some filters at the bottom of the calendar that change how the calendar populates.

Hope everyone likes it!

That would be a YES !!!!!

badgerbalm
11-17-2004, 02:13 AM
AutoSync problems.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the autosync feature to work. If I click on the syncnow button it syncs up and pulls the shows with no problems.

Any ideas?

samrad
11-17-2004, 07:03 PM
AutoSync problems.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the autosync feature to work. If I click on the syncnow button it syncs up and pulls the shows with no problems.

Any ideas?

Looks like it is setup correctly. Couple questions/comments:

- Ensure that the icon is in the system tray when 1:00 AM rolls around (obvious but just making sure)
- In the morning is the AccTivo ui loaded?
- Does it look like it tried to sync (opened to the sync tab, new shows are listed in now playing)?
- What are your system's regional settings?
- Do you leave the AccTivo ui window up, or close it? Either should be fine, but just want to help narrow down the cause.

badgerbalm
11-19-2004, 03:12 AM
- Ensure that the icon is in the system tray when 1:00 AM rolls around (obvious but just making sure)
Yes the icon is sitting in the tray, and task manager show the process running as well.

- In the morning is the AccTivo ui loaded?
If you mean can I click on the icon in the tray and the UI opens up, then yes

- Does it look like it tried to sync (opened to the sync tab, new shows are listed in now playing)?
No new shows are listed

- What are your system's regional settings?
Regional settings on my WinXP SP2 box is United States/ English

- Do you leave the AccTivo ui window up, or close it? Either should be fine, but just want to help narrow down the cause.
I close the UI window and double then reopen it by using the icon in the tray

Notluf
11-20-2004, 10:24 PM
While AccTivo is running and synchronizing shows from the server, msaccess.exe (2003) runs at 100% CPU. Is this normal? I am sync'ing 174 shows. Just wondered because it is heating up my laptop pretty bad.

latest build, just downloaded tonight, latest Etivo, fyi.

Also, that calendar screenshot above looks damn cool.

samrad
11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
badgerbalm
I'm gonna post a new AccTivo for you that will dispay some additional information that will hopefully help identify the problem. Just have to alter the code, hopefully soon. regular work getting in the way :)

Notluf
I'll have to investigate, the copy of a large file over the network does demand some extra power (hd would be working overtime) but I'm not sure why msaccess.exe is running at 100%... In the mean time I added it as a bug to the website.

badgerbalm
12-03-2004, 01:25 PM
I just reinstalled AccTivo 2 days ago and everytime I go to open the program I get the following prompt.

sublimnl
12-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi, I just found AccTivo today, and it looks like an amazing piece of software to compliment EtiVoweb. I am able to get a listing of ready shows on my Etivo server, however after I select a show to download and then proceed to synchronize I get the following error generated by MSACCESS.EXE...

Fatal Error during sync: Invalid procedure call or argument.

I tried this from 2 machines, one on Win2k, other on WinXP with the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks!

samrad
12-09-2004, 06:06 AM
I just reinstalled AccTivo 2 days ago and everytime I go to open the program I get the following prompt.

This is the Office security dialog, clicking open should open the AccTivo. I supress the dialog so i don't know why it's happening for you... Might be a timing thing on your machine. What's the CPU and RAM?

samrad
12-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Hi, I just found AccTivo today, and it looks like an amazing piece of software to compliment EtiVoweb. I am able to get a listing of ready shows on my Etivo server, however after I select a show to download and then proceed to synchronize I get the following error generated by MSACCESS.EXE...

Fatal Error during sync: Invalid procedure call or argument.

I tried this from 2 machines, one on Win2k, other on WinXP with the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to release another build that will give more sync error information, or fix your problem. I'll post to here when the new build is ready.

samrad
12-09-2004, 06:09 AM
I've been fairly busy at work and with another app i made, Halo 2 RSS Excel thingy. It actually took down my webiste. But now everything is back up and running. The release is just about ready to go! I'll post to here when ready (hopefully this weekend)

thanks!

samrad
12-09-2004, 06:10 AM
AutoSync problems.

Any ideas?

New build coming out should fix this. Thanks for the bug report!

sublimnl
12-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm getting ready to release another build that will give more sync error information, or fix your problem. I'll post to here when the new build is ready.

Awesome...Thanks!

ingo
12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
I just installed the latest and greatest build and got almost everything to work - except the core function: synchronization. I can see all shows from Etivo in Now Playing, see the thumbnails and can play back a show from the Etivo server. When I check a show to be synched and press the 'Sync Now' button I get a 'Either BOF or EOF is true, or the current record has been deleted.' error. This happens for the same show I can see the thumbnails of and I can play back . Also, the message persists and I have to shut down the process to get out of the loop.

Other than that, great program! Looks very sleek...

rung
12-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi Samrad,

Your program is still working great for me. Thanks again. This is really a nit, but it would be great if there was a sync-now button in the now playing area. It would save me from having to go to the sync screen, sync, and then return.

Thanks,
Rung

brian_r_baker
12-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I have selected the "pick a show" method of getting certain shows downloaded to my computer from EtiVo. The West Wing is unchecked but it still gets copied to my PC whenever a new episode is available. I believe I had it checked at one time but have since unchecked it.

BTW, thanks for a cool program!!

randomengineer
12-17-2004, 03:44 PM
I can't get this program to get any shows from ETivo either on my local network or from my work laptop (using http.) I am running SP2 on all machines with the firewall disabled. Is the http sync implemented yet?

Jeff

mentat
12-22-2004, 12:30 AM
I just downloaded and setup eTivo and AccTivo. EtiVoFace sees the list of shows correctly but AccTivo won't sync the list. Ideas on what's going wrong? Telneting to eTivo and typing "list" shows a list of all the shows on the Tivo.

rung
12-22-2004, 04:57 AM
I just downloaded and setup eTivo and AccTivo. EtiVoFace sees the list of shows correctly but AccTivo won't sync the list. Ideas on what's going wrong? Telneting to eTivo and typing "list" shows a list of all the shows on the Tivo.

Did you click on the "all shows" radio button? It defaults to only showing programs that have been downloaded already.

mentat
12-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Did you click on the "all shows" radio button? It defaults to only showing programs that have been downloaded already.

Downloaded from the server or from the tivo? It shows things which I have downloaded and encoded with the EtiVoFace interface but doesn't let me select shows that are on the Tivo.

rung
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Downloaded from the server or from the tivo? It shows things which I have downloaded and encoded with the EtiVoFace interface but doesn't let me select shows that are on the Tivo.

I don't think it is supposed to. AccTivo is only a tool to copy files from the etivo server to a client.

cowboy
01-01-2005, 11:54 PM
I just started playing with this app.... looks pretty cool so far but am unclear on the configuration needed to do what I need to.

I want to run this on my laptop when I travel, for business, to access my shows. The connection to the etivo server via port 6969 or whatever is configured is easy (port forwarding on the linksys and off we go). However, the transfer of the files (wmv) is less documented.

I see new features in the current version that are not discussed anywhere yet. It looks like that's what I need to use (Sync via HTTP). However there is no option to point to the base address (url) where the files would be located?!? The username/pwd/port is all good as obviously I wouldn't leave these out there for all to have. So what path is used?

I'm also interested in whether a log is kept of the messages that appear for the "sync" operation. There's something that "flys" by saying something about "...unique..." but the message box closes too fast to read.

cowboy
01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Sorry to reply to my own post but this is worth sharing for the masses as it isn't discussed well in this thread...

The latest version of AccTivo that I downloaded the last week of december, has working support for HTTP file transfer of the video files. In order to make this work, you have to properly setup your etivo server "location" tag(s). The url path provided there has to be accessible via the internet. To sucure this path, it would be advised to configure your web server to require a username/password to access it.

If you made changes to your etivo server config file, restart the service and then go into AccTivo and click "Check Database Integrity" on the "Sync Settings" page. This updates the http file retrieval links used in AccTivo. Then go to the "Settings and Options" page and select the newer option for "Sync via HTTP". Enter the username and password used to gain access to your servers video file folder you configured earlier. I would also suggest you set the option to "Always HTTP".

This assumes that you can already connect to your eTivo telnet server by one of two methods (if remote from home):
1) Allow port 6969 (or whatever you use) to be accessible from the internet.
2) Use a ssh tunnel to port forward 6969 localhost to the remote server.

Both would work just as well, although the second option is more likely to work if routers and firewalls are between you and your server that block oddball ports like 6969.

Now go select some shows to transfer. I've noticed that if you use the sync option "Pick a Show", then it also has to be selected under the "Now Playing" page. I'm not sure that was intentional.

If your files are not transferring, then go into the install folder for AccTivo and view the file called: inputfile.xml. Copy the path used for HTTP lines and put them in your web browser to test. If they don't work there, they will never work in AccTivo.

Hope this helps some who are trying to use this handy application. I just read a news story today that Tivo has released a new feature called: TivoToGo. It only works with standalone series 2 units, but is essentially the same thing as AccTivo! :D

One nice feature to have would be a "cancel" button on the download dialog.

cowboy
01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Anyone know how to get the video player controls to display once viewing a show? They appear momentarily near the top of the pop-up window, but then disappear.

samrad
01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Sorry about the non-update, wasn't able to get to it before my vacation. I'm back now (today) and will get on it and try to answer some questions that were posted while I was away! Thanks!

samrad
01-17-2005, 05:33 AM
I know what your thinking: finally! :)

Also revamped the website a bit and added IM alerts for future updates (if you're interested)...

What's new list is short, but hopefully it's enough. There is more error detection when syncing, so please install this build if you were having issues with it before.

What's New:

BETA BUILD 04
Calendar View: see a calendar layout of your TV shows
Sync fails without displaying errors (SolidTechie)
Fixes to the background EXE that caused some people's AutoSync not to fire (badgerbalm)

samrad
01-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Now go select some shows to transfer. I've noticed that if you use the sync option "Pick a Show", then it also has to be selected under the "Now Playing" page. I'm not sure that was intentional.

Not intentional, I'll enter it as a bug.

Hope this helps some who are trying to use this handy application. I just read a news story today that Tivo has released a new feature called: TivoToGo. It only works with standalone series 2 units, but is essentially the same thing as AccTivo! :D

They're gonna put me out of business! :)

One nice feature to have would be a "cancel" button on the download dialog.

Adding this as a feature request too...

samrad
01-17-2005, 05:41 AM
I just installed the latest and greatest build and got almost everything to work - except the core function: synchronization. I can see all shows from Etivo in Now Playing, see the thumbnails and can play back a show from the Etivo server. When I check a show to be synched and press the 'Sync Now' button I get a 'Either BOF or EOF is true, or the current record has been deleted.' error. This happens for the same show I can see the thumbnails of and I can play back . Also, the message persists and I have to shut down the process to get out of the loop.

Other than that, great program! Looks very sleek...

I see this error on one of my test machines, I'll debug and have it fixed in the next build... Thanks!

samrad
02-10-2005, 04:14 AM
Visit the site to pick it up isamrad.com (http://www.isamrad.com/AccTivo/)

What's new?
- Ability to Cancel Sync (cowboy)
- "Select Shows to Sync" will try to sync all shows in that series (cowboy)
- CheckDB failed in some cases (ingo)
- "copy to" functionality added, allows you to make a copy of a show from the now playing screen
- Clear Alert List button

samrad
02-10-2005, 04:48 AM
A quick description of how to use the copy to functionality:

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/copyto.jpg

brian_r_baker
02-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I've updated my AccTivo installation to build 5. However I seem to be having a problem syncing the shows -- none of the shows selected for automatic or manual download are getting transferred to my AccTivo machine. I have made sure to establish a connection to the file share prior to syncing. Here is the sync log:

2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Starting Sync, Init Vars
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Removing Local Shows
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Removing Shows from the Server
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Looking to see if any shows deleted were stored locally
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Getting show list from eTivo
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Importing eTivo XML
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sucessfully loaded new shows from eTivo
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sync-ing information with the server database
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Done Sync-ing new shows with server
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Evaluating sync filters
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Fatal error during sync: Method 'Open' of object '_Recordset' failed
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sync Failed!

Thoughts?

samrad
02-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I've updated my AccTivo installation to build 5. However I seem to be having a problem syncing the shows -- none of the shows selected for automatic or manual download are getting transferred to my AccTivo machine. I have made sure to establish a connection to the file share prior to syncing. Here is the sync log:

2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Starting Sync, Init Vars
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Removing Local Shows
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Removing Shows from the Server
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Looking to see if any shows deleted were stored locally
2/19/2005 10:34:04 AM Getting show list from eTivo
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Importing eTivo XML
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sucessfully loaded new shows from eTivo
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sync-ing information with the server database
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Done Sync-ing new shows with server
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Evaluating sync filters
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Fatal error during sync: Method 'Open' of object '_Recordset' failed
2/19/2005 10:34:10 AM Sync Failed!

Thoughts?

yeah, I must have been tired when wiritng that code. I fixed the problem. I'll post to here later in the day with client.mdb you can put in your install dir to fix the problem.

thanks for reporting it!

samrad
02-20-2005, 01:25 AM
It fixes the problem described above, and contains some work that will be in the next build: alpha blending & a new menu bar.

Just unzip the client.mdb into your build 05 install, it'll relink tables and you're ready to go.

Lemme know if there are any other troubles :rolleyes:

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/images/preview_06.jpg

samrad
02-27-2005, 10:28 PM
When upgrading your eTiVo, upgrade your AccTiVo as well!

What's new?

BETA BUILD 06
- 'Show View' which includes a show icon and some stats on the show
- Downloadable show icons
- Alpha blending transitions
- Toolbar in the window bar that gives quick access to sync and home network status
- Printable Reports that can filter by show

grab it from the usual place http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo

samrad
02-27-2005, 10:42 PM
when you select a show from the combo box you'll get extra information displayed about that show in the header of the list of episodes. If you don't see an icon then you'll see one of 2 things:

option to request an icon - this will create a email for you to send to me with the exact show name so i can make an icon for you.

option to download the icon - if AccTivo detects that the icon is availible for download on isamrad.com then clicking the download button will go grab it.

if the show spans mutiple years you will also have a season filter at the bottom of the episode list.

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/images/showdetails.jpg

tictocdoc
03-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Hello:

I had '04 installed which worked pretty much flawlessly. Wanted to upgrade to '06 to go along with the upgrade to eTivoweb. Now, the "checking network status" label stays red all of the time and I am unable to sync. I have tested the settings (which didn't change from the '04 version I have installed previously) and always get "Connected successfully, your good to go". I do get an updated list of all shows but I am still unable to sync. The sync starts and errors out (don't have the exact text of the error file in front of me). I believe that the sync error would go away if I could figure out what is causing the "red" networking status button issue. Any one else seeing this??

samrad
03-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Hello:

I had '04 installed which worked pretty much flawlessly. Wanted to upgrade to '06 to go along with the upgrade to eTivoweb. Now, the "checking network status" label stays red all of the time and I am unable to sync. I have tested the settings (which didn't change from the '04 version I have installed previously) and always get "Connected successfully, your good to go". I do get an updated list of all shows but I am still unable to sync. The sync starts and errors out (don't have the exact text of the error file in front of me). I believe that the sync error would go away if I could figure out what is causing the "red" networking status button issue. Any one else seeing this??

can you run Check DB and then try another sync...? I'll take a look at the network status code to see what's going on. if you can give me the sync error log that would be a big help as well.

samrad
03-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello:

actually i had another thought, when you setup your new eTiVo did you use UNC paths for the location to the video file? \\machinename\share or did you use a local path? C:\share. I made the same mistake my first time setting up the shares after installing the new eTiVo.

If you use c:\ then that information gets sync'd as the path to the show. But on the AccTivo machine that path doesn't exist, and AccTivo doesn't have a network path to get the file.

samrad
03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
adding a better day view for the calendar, so after you click on a day in the calendar you get this:

http://www.isamrad.com/acctivo/images/singledayview1.jpg

most of it is done, adding some finishing touches. I'm also going to work on better actor intergration. I've altered the sync to pull all that info into tables and now I'll surface it in the UI in a few places.

gobsmack
03-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Love the look or AccTivo -- beautiful!

Can get it to run on my server machine, but...

On my laptop, it hangs on initial run with the 4-color AccTivo box in center of the screen and AccTivo StartAccessError in the taskbar. Have to kill proc to stop it -- just hangs forever.

Is there an alternate way to start it or a way to tweak it so to figure out why it is bonking?

Thanks,

Gobs

tictocdoc
03-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. When I click the "sync" button, the green progress bar starts and then errors out. Here is the error text that I get every time that I try to sync with my server:

"The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Bad file name or number.
* The expression may not result in th ename of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
* There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro."

Hope this helps.

Thanks for such a great product!!!

Tictocdoc

brian_r_baker
03-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Sometime after upgrading to the latest versions of eTivo and AccTivo, I started getting a new error when I try to sync:

GetNewShowsFromTivo: Path not found: C:\Program Files\iSamRad.com\AccTivo\inputfile.xml.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing but I'm still getting the error.

gobsmack
04-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, problem on machine #2 -- how do I reset the acctivo database (so as to start fresh). Sure, I could just re-install, but I'd like to know a little more about how it works. Thanks.

(and what happened to this thread -- had to dig it out of page 4 to find it! Is Acctivo still alive ;) )

Attica
05-02-2005, 10:58 AM

I also get the "Cannot hide Access unless a form is on the screen" dialog box. Usually I can click it a couple of times (it keeps popping up in some instances) and get it to go away. Not sure why it is doing this. Other than that the functionality seems to be working okay.

EDIT: This seems to only be happening when another error dialog box pops up...then I'll get another dialog box that says "Cannot hide Access unless a form is on the screen" and if I click OK (to clear it), it will reappear if I do not clear the original dialog box quickly.

qwiki
06-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Only just discovered AccTivo recently after playing with EtiVo.

I know this threads been a bit bare recently, so I was wondering if build 07 (mentioned in Sam's post #92) ever got released, as build 06 is the last one on his web page?

Thanks in advance.

kge
07-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Hello:

Having a similar issue with Build 6. The Etivo connection is good to go, but the Home Network bar is consistently red-- "not connected." When I sync, the shows appear in the Now Playing list, and when I chose "Play This Show," I get "could not find the .wmv file for this show. Could be a network problem or the path for this show is messed up." The encoded show folders have been downloaded to the local machine, but not the .wmv files.

I read the followup posts to tictocdoc's original post, and they don't provide the fix. Any ideas? Thanks.

asantaga
08-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

I must be doing something wrong. I've installed the latest build of acctivo (b6) and nothing seams to work.. Well the little icon appears on the task bar, with the menu, but then nothing else.

During the install it complained about the MDAC, but the FAQ says ignore it.. so I do.. and then thats it... I was expecting a config wizard or something.. but nada.. nothing..

If I double click on the icon, I get the acctivo logo appear, but then it goes away after about 10-20 seconds..
Confused..

Oh Im running Windows XP/SP2 with etivo on the same machine.

Angelo

asantaga
08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Sussed it,

I hadnt installed the MS Access 2003 runtime.. I thought Id already installed it on this pc, but in reality it was another pc (where Id installed MSA 2003 RT0

Now works a treat.

Angelo :)

Yazhol
08-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Having a similar issue with Build 6. The Etivo connection is good to go, but the Home Network bar is consistently red-- "not connected." When I sync, the shows appear in the Now Playing list, and when I chose "Play This Show," I get "could not find the .wmv file for this show. Could be a network problem or the path for this show is messed up." The encoded show folders have been downloaded to the local machine, but not the .wmv files.

I read the followup posts to tictocdoc's original post, and they don't provide the fix. Any ideas? Thanks.

I'm getting the exact same thing on my laptop...

More info on the issue:

I noticed that it is creating the directory on my laptop to copy the show files into but no files are there. Even stranger is when I hit Sync and have it use the Internet it shows that it's downloading files, shows the preview jpg's being downloaded the xml and the wmv, but the directory is still empty after the sync is complete.

Anyone figure this one out yet???

Wim Libby
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
I am having problems similar to most of the recent posts and was wondering if anybody and solved them. I have been trying to get this to work for several weeks.
I have installed Etivo and that seems to be working fine. After I installed Acctivo, the network is always red, but when I check database or sync, messages appear on the right side indicating it is doing something. However, when I select calendar view, there is nothing in the local database.

I have tried to un-install and re-install and same problem. I am using \\computername... vice the C:\ - as was mentioned in previous posts. (Although the first time I installed it I used the C:\ - is some setting still hanging onto that data)

What else can I check? I am really excited about getting this to work so I can watch shows from the night before when I car-pool into work.

robo456
08-22-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm having the same problem I saw on the first page... Trying to move between the different options I get a Microsoft Office Access window that pops up and says "Cannot hide Access unless a form is on screen."

I didn't see anyone else address this... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much!

(this program looks fantastic BTW; hope to get it workin' soon!)

--rob

Msan
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I am also having the "Cannot hide Access unless a form is on screen" problem :(

Yazhol
12-25-2005, 11:47 AM
3 months later still no replies? No new version since Feb of 2005.

Is this still something that is actively being developed/supported?

johndickjr
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I used to have it a year ago but I can't find it ... :(
Does anyone have a copy I could get?
The website is no longer up to date ...

Thanks in advance,
John

bdj6020
04-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Does anyone have a link to the install program? The link on the website is broken. Thanks!

jeffjs
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Can someone email/post a link to this? The isamrad website link is broken.