PDA

View Full Version : MFS Backup Question

tnjazzgrass
10-15-2004, 04:11 PM
I've got a thoroughly hacked Series 1 with a single 120gb drive and all the goodies (telnet, FTP, YAC, JazzMail, etc).

I just picked up 2 120gb drives to replace the existing drive and I'm about to run MFSTools to do a current backup. Will this process keep all my hacks intact on the drive as well, or will I have to recreate them as well once I restore my backup image onto the new drive(s)?

Should I plan for an all nighter re-applying hacks over the weekend?

Thanks,
Dirk

blueman2
10-15-2004, 07:55 PM
No, this is an easy upgrade. Read the Hinsdale guide.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

You can just add a 2nd 120G drive. No need to replace your original drive. Keep it in place and add another will work great, keep all your shows, and keep all your hacks. I did this just recently on a 4.01b hacked S2.

PlainBill
10-15-2004, 11:10 PM
No, this is an easy upgrade. Read the Hinsdale guide.

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

You can just add a 2nd 120G drive. No need to replace your original drive. Keep it in place and add another will work great, keep all your shows, and keep all your hacks. I did this just recently on a 4.01b hacked S2.

Not a good idea, IMHO. If EITHER drive fails, you're hosed. Once married, the original drive will not work without it's mate. And of course, the mate won't work without the original.

PlainBill

captain_video
10-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Not a good idea, IMHO. If EITHER drive fails, you're hosed. Once married, the original drive will not work without it's mate. And of course, the mate won't work without the original.
Naah, the idea is fine. Your original plan of creating a backup is a sound one. Just do it before you add the 2nd drive and you'll be fine. That way, if the drive dies then all you'd have to do is restore the backup image, with all hacks intact, to a new drive and then re-bless the B drive. Your recordings would be toast but you can't have everything, can you?

fixn278
10-16-2004, 02:21 AM
I forsee one more post in the image begging thread...

blueman2
10-16-2004, 04:13 PM

PlainBill

Bill,

You raise an issue that I have been curious about. If a second drive fails (the one with just MFS partitions, not the primary one with the boot and program and MFS partitions), is there no way to replace it without wiping your first drive as well? Of course you would have to lose any shows on the MFS partitions on the 2nd drive, but one would think there would be a way to replace the drive since the primary drive has all the core Tivo software. Never seen a way to do this, but it seems like it would be doable with some work.

Thoughts?

PlainBill
10-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Bill,

You raise an issue that I have been curious about. If a second drive fails (the one with just MFS partitions, not the primary one with the boot and program and MFS partitions), is there no way to replace it without wiping your first drive as well? Of course you would have to lose any shows on the MFS partitions on the 2nd drive, but one would think there would be a way to replace the drive since the primary drive has all the core Tivo software. Never seen a way to do this, but it seems like it would be doable with some work.

Thoughts?

I've never explored this (and lack the kind of knowledge of the MFS file system to do it). I've always heard that it is not possible to divorce a drive pair. I could be wrong. I have an experiment in mind, but rather not face the wrath of family as I tried it. (They love their TiVo).

PlainBill

NutKase
10-17-2004, 01:00 AM
I've never explored this (and lack the kind of knowledge of the MFS file system to do it). I've always heard that it is not possible to divorce a drive pair. I could be wrong. I have an experiment in mind, but rather not face the wrath of family as I tried it. (They love their TiVo).

PlainBill

I'll try it. I'm curious too. But it'll have to be tomorrow :)

NutKase

tnjazzgrass
10-19-2004, 12:44 PM
I forsee one more post in the image begging thread...

Who, me? Not hardly. Worst case scenario I already have an InstantCake CD that I've used several times.

All I want to know is the best way to make a backup of my 120gb drive (don't care about the recordings at all) that will (ideally) preserve my season passes AND all the hacks I've put into the box. If need be I can rebuild the passes, I just don't want to have to redo all those friggin' hacks.

My new drives will be here today, and I'm planning to back up the single, restore to a new one, then bless it with the second drive. I just want all my hacks to remain completely intact when I put the two new drives in.

tnjazzgrass
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Incidentally, I am replacing the single 120gb 7200 with a pair of 120gb 5400's because the Tivo is running a little hotter than I'd like. Plus I've got a need for a 7200 somewhere else on my home network! :)

tnjazzgrass
10-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Well if anyone is interested at all the process didn't work for me. The backup was fine, the restore was fine. The Tivo wouldn't finish booting with the new drive in it though. It got all the way through the Cachecard screens and went black, and where the Tivo animation normally starts up it suddenly went back to the startup screen. It cycled through that whole process a couple of times until I got aggravated and put the original drive back in (which worked fine).

I've still got the backup image on my HD, and I may try again later this week. No big deal really, there's nothing on the Tivo I really need to keep at the moment and InstantCake, a couple of hours and a bottle of tequila will get the hacks back on the new drive, but I'm a little frustrated.

Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't boot to a (supposedly) exact image of the current drive? No error messages or anything - the backup and restore went perfectly.

Dirk