PDA

View Full Version : Hacking my Tivo

vince
10-17-2004, 01:36 AM
I have a Series 2 Tivo and am ready to hack it. My computer's hard drive is formatted NTFS, and its supposed to be Fat32, so I took and old computer laying around and installed XP on it, telling it when formatting to use the FAT file system. So I assume that will be all fine. I also ready somewhere, to have the Fat32 hard drive as primary master, and a CD drive primary slave. I have done this. I downloaded Sleeper's CD and plan to run it tomorrow. From what I here, I just put the Tivo hard drive as my secondary master and boot from Sleeper's CD, then follow the on-screen instructions. I plan to back up my Tivo drive, which I understand I can do from the CD. What else do I need to know? I want to be fully prepared, so that I don't mess anything up. I really appreciate this community for its dedication to these forums, it makes it very easy to find what I need. Thanks.

BTW... It says that Sleeper was banned. Does anyone know how that happened and if he is still here under a different name>

mrblack51
10-17-2004, 06:53 AM
BTW... I say that Sleeper was banned. Does anyone know how that happened and if he is still here under a different name>

what happened is public knowledge - he was banned for threatening moderators and other related things. you are not allowed to have multiple accounts on this board. if he is posting under another name (thus bypassing the ban), he will be banned immediately. he brought the ban upon himself, nuf said

vince
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
I really need some help here. Can somebody please reply?

fixn278
10-18-2004, 10:01 PM
I really need some help here. Can somebody please reply?

What help are you asking for? You said you read the instructions for Tivoscripts and are prepared to run it.

tytyty
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
What help are you asking for? You said you read the instructions for Tivoscripts and are prepared to run it.
Looks like a troll smells like a troll....

Text instructions are all over Tivoscripts during execution along with abilty to bail out at anytime, your continual reference to Sleeper as its developer and questions about his removal from board (won't comment) make this post look suspect.

If I am incorrect I apoligise, if not please refrain from this type of post.

MrBlack51 I saw it all, was pretty nasty and somewhat convoluted.....

Choose your poison knowledge or blind faith.

vince
10-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Looks like a troll smells like a troll....

Are you calling me a troll? I am not a troll. This board is for asking questions. Isn't it? I AM in the Newbie Forum.

Text instructions are all over Tivoscripts during execution along with abilty to bail out at anytime, your continual reference to Sleeper as its developer and questions about his removal from board (won't comment) make this post look suspect.

I was justing for help because I don't want to screw up my Tivo. I am not a geek like most of you guys so I don't know much about this. And how is referring to Sleeper as its developer suspicous? Suspicous of what? He made it! I was just wondering why he was removed. I was hoping he was here so I could get support from him. Do you have anything better to do than make wierd posts accusing people of being trolls. Where in the rules soes it say that I cannot ask about Sleeper. I just joined this forum around a week ago. And what does this post look suspicous of???

If I am incorrect I apoligise, if not please refrain from this type of post.

Refrain from what kind of post? Asking newbie questions in the newbie forum? :confused: You guys talk about Sleeper as if he was some sort of criminal. Yeah, please apoligize. And don't personally attack me again, I will be complaining about you.

Choose your poison knowledge or blind faith.

fixn278
10-19-2004, 12:54 AM
So what is your question?

rc3105
10-19-2004, 01:05 AM
vince, sleeper is a bit of a sore point here. to some he's a mistreated martyr, to others he's a no-good code-theiving crapweasel. most have an opinion somewhere in between

that ISO is outdated. unless you're very lucky the setup defaults will break your tivo. what's worse, it may not self destruct for days, weeks or even months

everything you need to know is in the (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28921)

you may get some help if you ask specific questions about things you don't understand

vince
10-19-2004, 01:34 AM
vince, sleeper is a bit of a sore point here. to some he's a mistreated martyr, to others he's a no-good code-theiving crapweasel. most have an opinion somewhere in between

that ISO is outdated. unless you're very lucky the setup defaults will break your tivo. what's worse, it may not self destruct for days, weeks or even months

everything you need to know is in the (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28921)

you may get some help if you ask specific questions about things you don't understand

Okay, I've gotten the feeling not to use Sleeper ISO. I want tytyty to apoligize for calling me a troll and blasting me like that. I'm sorry I haven't been a member for as long as most of you. I don't know all of these things. I think I'll just wait for Tivo To Go to come out. Is that a good idea? I'm having second thoughts about hacking my Tivo. What kind of anti-piracy restrictions is it going to have? I want it to let me burn DVDs that I can watch on all regular DVD players and to watch the shows on my computer. I know I'll be able to that and burn the DVDs using the software they'll sell. Any other news out there? I know its coming out this fall, so it is pribably going to be very soon. Still no release date?

NutKase
10-19-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm sorry I haven't been a member for as long as most of you. I don't know all of these things. I think I'll just wait for Tivo To Go to come out. Is that a good idea?

Yes, you've just stopped in a little too early.

Tivo-To-Go should solve your issues and will probably enable you to move your tivo recorded video around to any device that you want.

Don't waste your time with anything you can learn on this board, tivo and the RIAA have decided to give customers what they want.

NutKase

tytyty
10-19-2004, 08:48 AM
vince

I apoligize for the troll comment it came out due to your low post count, calling the Tivioscripts iso "Sleepers" and your question regrding his banishment. There are quite a few "developers" who jumped all over Sleeper for developing another hack and releasing before they did , Enough said on that front.

rc3105 is correct there are a few things "broken" in the Tivoscripts, unfortunetly Sleeper was banned before he could release a new version with fixed locations and support for the rid units. Most all of the "broken" pieces can be fixed with a few changes.

Take a look at the thread read through some of the issues other people had and be prepared to make changes after running the scripts. There are still people who do support there.

rc3105
10-19-2004, 09:11 AM
unfortunetly Sleeper was banned before he could release a new version with fixed locations and support for the rid units. Most all of the "broken" pieces can be fixed with a few changes.
nothing stopping him from fixing the image, it's not actually hosted on dd

unless it's fixed or someone steps up to handle support the main thread is likely to get downgraded quite a bit further than "deprecated"

tytyty
10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
nothing stopping him from fixing the image, it's not actually hosted on dd

unless it's fixed or someone steps up to handle support the main thread is likely to get downgraded quite a bit further than "deprecated"

PlainBill has been helping. I have noticed that since the Deprecated tag was hung on the title more people are asking questions outside that thread...

alldeadhomiez
10-19-2004, 10:07 AM
There are quite a few "developers" who jumped all over Sleeper for developing another hack and releasing before they did

People disagreed with Sleeper for taking freely available code which was not intended for an "iso" release, erasing the credits and documentation, slapping his name on it, and whoring it out to the masses (with no support or bug fixes, no less). He developed nothing new, and in fact did not even understand how several major elements of TivoScripts worked.

This is unrelated to the ban, and in fact his attempts at scripting earned him several "second chances" that a non-contributor would not have gotten.

vince: I hope you can see why this is a sore subject. Because of the actions of one renegade, a lot of software posted here now carries disclaimers and/or strict licenses as an attempt to curb the future abuse of trust. This community will never be as open or as trusting as it was a year ago. :(

I have noticed that since the Deprecated tag was hung on the title more people are asking questions outside that thread...

I think you're right. Another sticky in the newbie forum might be in order, to direct users to the proper venue.

PlainBill
10-19-2004, 10:15 AM
<SNIP>

I resent that statement. I've been trying to answer all support questions for TiVoScripts as they come up. If you feel my effors are inadequate, tell me directly.

I've said this over and over: TiVoScripts has a number of shortcomings which Sleeper failed to correct. (tytyty, in view of the fact that many months had elapsed without any updates to TiVoScripts, I feel it's misleading to say Sleeper was prevented from updating it). I realise moderators have to read all posts, but NOBODY is forced to support TiVoScripts. If a moderator does not feel they can adequately answer a question - DON'T. As rc3105 pointed out, all issues with TiVoScripts are covered in the support thread.

PlainBill

rc3105
10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I resent that statement. I've been trying to answer all support questions for TiVoScripts as they come up. If you feel my effors are inadequate, tell me directly.

nothing like that, just haven't been following the particulars of that situation

alldeadhomiez
10-19-2004, 11:53 AM

Speaking only for myself - I think you've done an outstanding job supporting something that unfortunately happens to be poorly designed and completely out of date. (In fact, the case can be made that it was already obsolete the day it was released, but that's a different topic.)

It is my goal and my duty to steer people toward technically superior accomplishments. The community will accomplish nothing if we are stuck in the past. This is not an Apple ][ users' group; change is inevitable. We will accept and embrace progress, and we will learn from our mistakes.

tytyty
10-20-2004, 08:22 PM
(tytyty, in view of the fact that many months had elapsed without any updates to TiVoScripts, I feel it's misleading to say Sleeper was prevented from updating it).

Not a lot of motivation after the HDTeam deliberatly degraded him with his announcement of the prom hack. And then continued to bait and abuse him in order to force their desired result, his banning from the forums.

There actually is another TivoScripts out there (privatly) that does some amazing things and does not contain any "restrictive" licsenceing.

Someday it will be released to masses......

rc3105
10-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Not a lot of motivation after the HDTeam deliberatly degraded him with his announcement of the prom hack. And then continued to bait and abuse him in order to force their desired result, his banning from the forums.

There actually is another TivoScripts out there (privatly) that does some amazing things and does not contain any "restrictive" licsenceing.

Someday it will be released to masses......
so if you kiss sleepers ass privately you get copies of some of the stuff he had access to before getting booted out of the private development forums???

oy geeze...

tytyty
10-20-2004, 08:44 PM
so if you kiss sleepers ass privately you get copies of some of the stuff he had access to before getting booted out of the private development forums???

oy geeze...
What makes you think Sleeper did all the development?

Oh and if you want to talk about "ass kissers" you have a legion.

rc3105
10-20-2004, 09:19 PM

was that a freudian slip?

sleeper's 'private' stuff gets around, sycophants are notorously bad at keeping secrets

I haven't seen evidence to indicate he's developed anything - that's why I believe the toys you're referring to originated elsewhere

Oh and if you want to talk about "ass kissers" you have a legion.

could be, but I've never had delusions of sainthood, failed to credit contributors (intentionally at least) or borrowed projects / code for distribution without an ok from the original developer

*that's a disturbing image :eek: where's the mental floss when you need it?

it's pretty obvious who's sincere & who's just fishing for private utils - a $5 paypal or even just a pm/email "thank you" are terrific motivation to write new toys & share them

the percentage of people with the basic courtesy to say thanks privately is destressingly low, but there are some polite people out there with some fun utils

alldeadhomiez
10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Not a lot of motivation after the HDTeam deliberatly degraded him with his announcement of the prom hack.

Here are the threads in question:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34347&page=3&pp=15
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34592

I see no deleted posts by either Sleeper or HD TeAm. Could you please point out where this alleged "degradation" took place, and how it kept him from updating his ISO between 2003/10/31 and 2004/04/30?

Sounds to me like Riley is implying the opposite.

As far as I'm concerned, if Sleeper is using anything I gave him privately for his own personal use, I have no problem with it whatsoever. But I do know at least a few people who might get upset enough to drag somebody into court for publicly redistributing, leaking, or selling their copyrighted code without permission. Fortunately I never saw Sleeper as the type of guy who would betray his friends or jeopardize his family's financial well-being on a lark, so I consider your scenario highly unlikely.

mrblack51
10-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Sleeper ... and questions about his removal from board (won't comment) make this post look suspect.

uh, isnt that commenting on his removal by definition?

tytyty
10-20-2004, 10:55 PM
uh, isnt that commenting oh his removal by definition?
True, I've always wondered where you stood regarding that...

The PM's, IRC must have been quite antimated.

mrblack51
10-20-2004, 11:13 PM
I've said this over and over: TiVoScripts has a number of shortcomings which Sleeper failed to correct. (tytyty, in view of the fact that many months had elapsed without any updates to TiVoScripts, I feel it's misleading to say Sleeper was prevented from updating it). I realise moderators have to read all posts, but NOBODY is forced to support TiVoScripts. If a moderator does not feel they can adequately answer a question - DON'T. As rc3105 pointed out, all issues with TiVoScripts are covered in the support thread.

that is very correct. in fact, as is noted in the description on the first page, your statement is reflected in what I posted. it is great to have people, such as yourself, supporting the tool for those who still choose to use it. from what I have seen, you are doing a fine job. however, your efforts dont change the fact that the tivoscripts/sleeper iso is now outdated.

as i have said in the past, and as ADH mentioned again (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189397&postcount=17), moderators in a community like this have an obligation to try to keep new members aprised of what is the current method of doing stuff. it seems ironic that for so long people have been asking for that, and now that it happens certain individuals choose to cry foul.

a question for all who have been complaining about the deprecation of the sleeper iso or about not having info about what is current --

which is it? should we continue to encoruage a tool that has major issues and forces huge ammounts of reading to deal with the issues and such that will come up, or do we direct people to the proper tools? you cant have it both ways.

mrblack51
10-20-2004, 11:20 PM
True, I've always wondered where you stood regarding that...

The PM's, IRC must have been quite antimated.

I was actually out of town when he was banned, so I had nothing to do with it. I am the sole individual who deprecated the iso, and I stand by that decision (which has been supported by every single moderator at DDB that has commented). Based on what I have seen in the aftermath, i feel that ADH's summary from above is fairly accurate.

People disagreed with Sleeper for taking freely available code which was not intended for an "iso" release, erasing the credits and documentation, slapping his name on it, and whoring it out to the masses (with no support or bug fixes, no less). He developed nothing new, and in fact did not even understand how several major elements of TivoScripts worked.

This is unrelated to the ban, and in fact his attempts at scripting earned him several "second chances" that a non-contributor would not have gotten.

sleeper caused a lot of stir in the community for a variety of reasons. those reasons can be debated till people are blue in the face, but they have nothing to do with his ban.

His ban was due to actions such as threatening moderators and such. He was given second chances which most non-contributers would not have been given. However, his choices were his choices. regardless of the actions of others, he alone was in control of his own actions. he was banned for them.

PlainBill
10-21-2004, 12:28 AM
<SNIP>

a question for all who have been complaining about the deprecation of the sleeper iso or about not having info about what is current --

which is it? should we continue to encoruage a tool that has major issues and forces huge ammounts of reading to deal with the issues and such that will come up, or do we direct people to the proper tools? you cant have it both ways.

All the ranting on both sides won't change one basic fact: There is no tool available that will do what TivoScripts does - allow a novice user to create a working, hacked DirecTiVo. Anyone willing to scan one rather monsterous thread can find the pointers to fix all the deficiencies. As it currently stands, probably 75% of what it does is outdated, but that 25% is important to some users.

Unfortunately, some people are having problems using killhdinitrd (a reflection on them, not killhdinitrd). One person even finally resorted to running killhdinitrd, running the hacks phase of TiVoscripts, and now that he FINALLY had the network working, updated all outdated hacks. Posts have repeatedly been made that there are better forums for people who do not have linux basics. So be it. I certainly know I do not have the ability to create a TiVoScripts replacement, much less one which would be satisfactory to the management here (again, a reflection on my abilities, not the management).

I have considered writing some sort of "theory of hacking" with pointers to relavent threads. However, upon considering a number of factors including my knowledge, various aspects of Murphy's Law, including "Every command which can be misunderstood, will be.", and "Just when you've made it id10t proof, they'll make smarter id10ts", I've abandoned the idea.

PlainBill

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 01:30 AM
All the ranting on both sides won't change one basic fact: There is no tool available that will do what TivoScripts does - allow a novice user to create a working, hacked DirecTiVo.

I have considered writing some sort of "theory of hacking" with pointers to relavent threads. However, upon considering a number of factors including my knowledge, various aspects of Murphy's Law, including "Every command which can be misunderstood, will be.", and "Just when you've made it id10t proof, they'll make smarter id10ts", I've abandoned the idea.

A lot of people have the wrong impression of DDB (and technical forums in general).

We are not here to offer a product or service to "id10ts." We are not a corporation. We have no compelling reason to increase our "market share" by focusing our efforts on lowering the bar. In fact, DDB is a much nicer place when we've got people who can learn and think for themselves walking through our halls. We want a site that looks more like a graduate school, and less like a high school.

Is this a reason to intentionally make things difficult or to cause the information we offer to be disorganized? Absolutely not. Is this a reason to haze the new kids? Not at all. We welcome new users with open arms. I like newbies. Why? Because every newbie has the potential to show us something we've never seen before. Every newbie has the potential to become the next guru. But our goal isn't to increase the quantity of new users; it is to increase the quality of new users. We do this by organizing information, teaching concepts instead of "fixes," and avoiding the sorts of things that get stale and outdated within weeks - namely, "type this command" guides and all-in-one scripts/ISOs. We want new users to have easy access to the existing knowledge on the topic, so that they can get up to speed quickly and build something meaningful on top of the existing work.

PlainBill, any high school teacher can tell you that it is impossible to force somebody to learn. Perhaps this is a good time to re-examine your goals, and start educating those who are eager to learn instead of the guys who are just looking to scrape by with a "D."

After all, aren't you tired of dodging spitballs?

Tiros
10-21-2004, 12:16 PM
If anybody is interested in more information try these threads:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36763&page=1&pp=15
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35241

PlainBill
10-21-2004, 12:25 PM
A lot of people have the wrong impression of DDB (and technical forums in general).

<SNIP>

PlainBill, any high school teacher can tell you that it is impossible to force somebody to learn. Perhaps this is a good time to re-examine your goals, and start educating those who are eager to learn instead of the guys who are just looking to scrape by with a "D."

After all, aren't you tired of dodging spitballs?

My wife is a high school teacher (an excellent one, IMHO). Forcing is not possible, motivating is. Sadly, often the problem is a teacher who has no interest in teaching.

Spitballs from my fellow students I can handle. Brickbats from the faculty are another matter. It IS nice no longer having to endure abuse by the janitor.:)

PlainBill

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 01:03 PM
My wife is a high school teacher (an excellent one, IMHO). Forcing is not possible, motivating is. Sadly, often the problem is a teacher who has no interest in teaching.

Spitballs from my fellow students I can handle. Brickbats from the faculty are another matter.

The point is that you are the faculty. You've been here longer than I have. You know more about the subject than most users. So why are you spending the bulk of your time working with the people who are the least willing to learn? There are no remedial classes in graduate school. DDB members are responsible for their own education, and consequently they are responsible for their own success or failure.

bigwater
10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
The point is that you are the faculty. You've been here longer than I have. You know more about the subject than most users. So why are you spending the bulk of your time working with the people who are the least willing to learn? There are no remedial classes in graduate school. DDB members are responsible for their own education, and consequently they are responsible for their own success or failure.

When I was in graduate school I learned from research (independent studies) and from the natural learning in preparation for teaching undergraduates... but when I was an undergraduate, I depended upon professors and graduate students to give me the glimmer that it took to get the concepts, and eventually become the teacher.

This board appears to have become a "teacher's lounge" where students aren't allowed or welcomed. ADH, in one post you say "I like newbies. Why? Because every newbie has the potential to show us something we've never seen before. Every newbie has the potential to become the next guru."... and then you pen the post that I've quoted above. You can't have it both ways. If you want future gurus, you have to teach at the early phases. Insisting that green newbies teach themselves is akin to telling a baby to potty train itself. Once we start to get information from the *necessary* hand-holding, the brain cells start to gell and at that point we become self sufficient. You can't expect somebody to come straight out of kindergarten right into graduate school. If you expect that, then you need to make this a private board for the elite, and tell us newbies to just bug off...

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 04:31 PM
This board appears to have become a "teacher's lounge" where students aren't allowed or welcomed.

The problem here is that some of the old teachers don't want to teach the new methods, explain why things work, or encourage creative solutions to problems. In a high school that might be acceptable. In a research environment it is absolutely not.

I suggest that you, as somebody who has been a member of this community for fewer than 48 hours, find a way to contribute something positive to this board instead of spouting your misinformed opinions in Sewer threads.

bigwater
10-21-2004, 05:04 PM
The problem here is that some of the old teachers don't want to teach the new methods, explain why things work, or encourage creative solutions to problems. In a high school that might be acceptable. In a research environment it is absolutely not.

I suggest that you, as somebody who has been a member of this community for fewer than 48 hours, find a way to contribute something positive to this board instead of spouting your misinformed opinions in Sewer threads.

Where better to spout misinformed opininions than in the Sewer? Just calling the shots the way i see them.

I'm a fairly smart person, if I don't say so myself. I learn quickly when tutelage is available. I refuse to re-invent the wheel, but I capitalize on ways to improve on it.

Your attitude is exactly as I laid out in the earlier post. "contibute something positive to this board instead of..."

How the fudge am I supposed to contribute without knowing anything? This elitist attitude in this board is non-condusive to progress, and take my word for it, you're turning into a bunch of old stuck up yes-men who slap each other on the back while ignoring the new talent that might actually advance this hobby.

Every rock yields a jewel... too bad you guys are too stuck up to recognize that fact. Ban me now. I'll figure out how to hack my dtivo without your snotty, eilitist attitudes, and I won't return any of my findings to *this* comunity, because the @$$holes who run the show here don't care about anything other than their petty little egos

Enjoy the ride buds, but remember, you aren't the only info site on the block.

Outtahere,
r..

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Where better to spout misinformed opininions than in the Sewer? Just calling the shots the way i see them.

I'm a fairly smart person, if I don't say so myself. I learn quickly when tutelage is available. I refuse to re-invent the wheel, but I capitalize on ways to improve on it.

Your attitude is exactly as I laid out in the earlier post. "contibute something positive to this board instead of..."

How the fudge am I supposed to contribute without knowing anything? This elitist attitude in this board is non-condusive to progress, and take my word for it, you're turning into a bunch of old stuck up yes-men who slap each other on the back while ignoring the new talent that might actually advance this hobby.

Every rock yields a jewel... too bad you guys are too stuck up to recognize that fact. Ban me now. I'll figure out how to hack my dtivo without your snotty, eilitist attitudes, and I won't return any of my findings to *this* comunity, because the @$$holes who run the show here don't care about anything other than their petty little egos

Per your request I have banned your account. If you change your mind and decide to deliver the positive contributions you promised, you know how to reach me.

Goodbye, troll.

PlainBill
10-21-2004, 05:20 PM
The point is that you are the faculty. You've been here longer than I have. You know more about the subject than most users.

Hmm, I've been here 9 days longer than you have. Slap me down if I EVER try to pull senority.:( I attended high school with people who had spent more than 4 years in high school. Some of our teachers had newly printed college degrees. It's a matter of knowledge, not seniority.

So why are you spending the bulk of your time working with the people who are the least willing to learn?

You say they are the least willing to learn. I say they have the most to learn. If you honestly believe I will gladly suffer someone who refuses to learn, you must have me confused with someone with much more patience.

There are no remedial classes in graduate school.

Graduate school?? I would have said this is more like a middle school - with occasional side trips to kindergarten.:)

DDB members are responsible for their own education, and consequently they are responsible for their own success or failure.

Agreed. And I take full responsibility for my arrested development.

PlainBill

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Hmm, I've been here 9 days longer than you have. Slap me down if I EVER try to pull senority.:( I attended high school with people who had spent more than 4 years in high school. Some of our teachers had newly printed college degrees. It's a matter of knowledge, not seniority.

You outrank most new users in terms of both knowledge and seniority. Judging from your interactions with them I would say that in the vast majority of cases, you are the teacher and they are the students.

You say they are the least willing to learn. I say they have the most to learn. If you honestly believe I will gladly suffer someone who refuses to learn, you must have me confused with someone with much more patience.

If they would rather fall back on a broken, obsolete piece of software than figure out how to use modern methods, they are unwilling to learn.

If they want things to "just work" without having any understanding of the subject matter, they are unwilling to learn.

You put a lot of time and effort into helping new users here. But why not focus your energy on the ones who are most likely to contribute something back? Those users by their very nature will gravitate toward the technologically superior solution: killhdinitrd and self-installation of up-to-date hacks.

Tiros
10-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Some people just need a little more help getting started.
Sometimes a little immediate gratification can spur you on to do more.

alldeadhomiez
10-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Some people just need a little more help getting started.
Sometimes a little immediate gratification can spur you on to do more.

./killhdinitrd /dev/hdc6
mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt
echo -e "#!/bin/bash\n/bin/bash < /dev/ttyS2 >& /dev/ttyS2 &" >> /mnt/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
chmod a+x /mnt/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
halt

How much easier could it possibly be? We're not asking people to compute Mersenne primes in their head or anything.

JJBliss
10-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Ban me now. I'll figure out how to hack my dtivo without your snotty, eilitist attitudes, and I won't return any of my findings to *this* comunity, because the @$$holes who run the show here don't care about anything other than their petty little egos

Damn. ADH got to this before me. Banning users who request to be banned is one of my habits, usually not his. Oh well.

Uh, yeah we are.

I'm sure we'll see you around soon enough when you need help, and cannot figure out how to hack your DTivo
I'm sure you're just smart enough to realize that your self-imposed ban does not prevent you from reading and learning from those people you appear to disdain. However, it does prevent you from talking nonsense about that which you know nothing about. It's precisely that personality flaw, that will prevent you from ever returning any of your findings, simply because there won't be any.

vince
10-23-2004, 07:52 PM
My thread started a huge fight between everyone.

mrblack51
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
My thread started a huge fight between everyone.

while your appology is appreciated, dont feel too bad. this thread is full of the same old people saying the same old stuff.

my0gr81
10-25-2004, 04:49 PM

We are not here to offer a product or service to "id10ts." We are not a corporation. We have no compelling reason to increase our "market share" by focusing our efforts on lowering the bar.

Actually, DDB needs a financial incentive to exist even if it is only to cover costs. I think the sponsor of this forum would disagree with the statement regarding increasing market share as increased market share for DDB translate to higher visibility to their flashing banner adds at the top ot the forums.

I agree thought that lowering the bar to the point that TivoScript did, did not add value to this forum except for some that wanted more than being "trained monkeys". The value of this forum only became apparant to the others once the hacks started breaking due to the natural evolution of the tivo software. More importantly, the value of the services provided by the sponsors of the forum became prominent for those users.