PDA

View Full Version : what are my options?

RedGreenBlue
09-06-2001, 06:37 PM
hello, i'm new to the forum so i'm probably about to ask what every newbie has asked before, so thanks for your patience in advance! :D

i'm thinking of buying a 30 hour sony tivo. my friend and i are looking for good prices on one and when i find a good price, i'll buy it. he's fairly into these things so he knows quite a bit, but i'd like your 'expert' opinions as well.

here's my setup:

no phone line
only cable modem

i'm told that the TiVo doesn't need a subscription to work, but i have to be there in person to record. is this true?

i'm also told that without a subscription, the thing will nag me. is there a hack to disable that?

i've also been told that there is a hack that would allow me to connect to a serial port on my pc to download the subscription info from the net. is this true?

last, i've been told that i could throw a NIC into the unit and dump the recorded shows to my pc and then to CD. is this true? and if so, what type of NIC - 3c90x?

any help you could provide would be greately appreciated.

thanks,

zeek
09-06-2001, 08:24 PM
The FAQ will answer many of your questions, when those are answered you will be ready for the rest...

http://www.tivofaq.com/hack/faq.html

Not meant to be rude or offensive, but readreadread!

z33k

Lure
09-07-2001, 03:48 AM
to motivate you and to support the words of zeek: basicly you can say that all the things you heard are true.

Please read throu the FAQ and read old and new info on this board. everything you need and more is to be found with some effort.

goodluck:D :D