PDA

View Full Version : Networking problem, what's next??? Help Please

russ725
10-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Hello:
I have 2 HDVR2's that I am trying to network. This is what's happening. When I connect either box to my computer network, everything works great. When I use a switch or hub, I get 50-75% packet loss. That's with one box connected or both. If I remove the hub, insert a straight through connector to the same 2 cables, packet loss is gone. This seems so simple, but I just cant get it working. BTW: I've tried a new switch and a new hub. Same results. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

Yazhol
10-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Make sure your "switch" is really a switch and not just a hub labeled as a switch.

I had this issue a while back when I moved into a new place and I wired my new place to have a hub in my entertainment center for my TiVo, Xbox, MP3 interface, etc. I removed the hub and put in a Linksys 5 port switch and the problem was gone.

russ725
10-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I have a 5 port Linksys switch. Although I have tried 2 switches and 1 hub, all the same.

snowman
10-23-2004, 10:21 PM
no message

JJBliss
10-24-2004, 12:17 AM
Are the IP addresses different?

Woody Allen
10-24-2004, 12:55 AM
How do you know that you are getting packet loss? What utility are you using?

russ725
10-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Thanks all for the replies....

First, IP addresses are different and unique to each box. Also checked MAC addresses, both are different there also. I guess I wasn't clear on the way i checked out the connection before...I didn't use a crossover cable. I just plugged in one of those cheap cable couplers to 2 of the cables at the point where the switch is. (Physically connected the cable from the computer (router) end to 1 tivo box. When I connect either box this way, pings are perfect. When I connect either or both boxes using the same cables to the switch, packet loss goes to 75%. I am not using any special utility to ping, just a windows command prompt. If I try to telnet either box under these conditions, It just will not communicate, so ftp and such are out.

russ725
10-24-2004, 03:11 AM
oops, forgot... I'm going to play around with the speed settings next. I did try to go from auto to 10mbps full duplex, that didn't work, I'll try some others.

Thanks again.

russ725
10-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Finally fixed....turned out to be a problem with my router & switch. I had to move the switch to the opposite side of my router and reconfig some wiring.
Thanks to all..