PDA

View Full Version : snowman's advice (split from: How much space do I have)

snowman
10-23-2004, 10:38 PM
no message

JJBliss
10-24-2004, 12:15 AM
If you're asking how to telnet/bash in and get a directory like msdos where it tells you how much space is used and how much free, I haven't a clue. I tried dir --help (and ls --help) and didn't see anything.
That's because dir is not a linux command. You're looking for ls. Folks sometimes alias ls to dir to make it easier for them when coming from a DOS world.

Best _I_ can offer you is to
cd /
dir -R -l
copy the resulting info into Excel and sum it all up. I KNOW there's an easier way though.

If you KNEW that "dir" didn't exist, why would you offer it as a suggestion? Please only post answers that you know work. It is innappropriate to offer conjecture in the guise of a solution.

snowman
10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
I think I have an answer...

http://www.geocities.com/tipsforlinux/articles/22.html

du and df seem to be the ticket. Forgive me, but don't have access to a Linux box (or Tivo), so I'm ASSUMING these to be built in commands.

snowman
10-26-2004, 12:12 PM
That's because dir is not a linux command. You're looking for ls. Folks sometimes alias ls to dir to make it easier for them when coming from a DOS world.

If you KNEW that "dir" didn't exist, why would you offer it as a suggestion? Please only post answers that you know work. It is innappropriate to offer conjecture in the guise of a solution.

JJ, please read the above. YOU told me that dir was aliased to ls, and then IMMEDIATELY ask me why I'd offer it as a suggestion since I KNEW that dir didn't exist.

I type dir --help and get the usage for ls. Yep, I figured the Linux equivalent for dir was probably ls. But I also figured it was a native mapping in the OS. Since dir works, it seemed counter-intuitive to type ls instead of dir when dir is what I know. If DOS had aliased "catalog" to "dir", I very probably would still type catalog to this day, even though I haven't SEEN an Apple in 10+ years.

dave4089
10-26-2004, 12:13 PM
snowman,

How is he going to run du or df if he has not hacked his Tivo?

Dave

du and df seem to be the ticket. Forgive me, but don't have access to a Linux box (or Tivo), so I'm ASSUMING these to be built in commands.

snowman
10-26-2004, 12:29 PM
snowman,

How is he going to run du or df if he has not hacked his Tivo?

Dave

Aw crap! See, I did it again. I automatically assume that anyone here is either here to, or has already, hacked the unit. When he said he didn't know what backdoors were, etc, I simply assumed he'd used the Sleeper ISO.

I was unaware that anyone here even would answer a "how to" on using a stock Tivo.

rc3105
10-26-2004, 01:41 PM
which has absolutely nothing to do with the proprietary partitions where video is stored

as has been commented (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190207&postcount=4), you need to slow down and shut up until you have a clue

just read for a few weeks, every question you can possibly think of has probably allready been asked and answered at least twice

Jamie
10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
I would be happy with a single number. xx hours or xx gig available.
I thought maybe there was a native TIVO capability I wasn't aware of. What I'm hearing is that I must hack and I haven't done that yet and just hearing about how it is done.To come back to the original question: you can make a very crude estimate on an unhacked TiVo by looking at how many suggestions have been recorded, assuming you haven't turned that feature off. Once you've reached steady state, all "free" space on the TiVo will be used for suggestions.

snowman
10-26-2004, 03:49 PM
which has absolutely nothing to do with the proprietary partitions where video is stored

as has been commented (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190207&postcount=4), you need to slow down and shut up until you have a clue

WOW. One thing keeps coming back on these "comments". There are so many people here willing to call names and use phrases like "get a clue" to those who actually TRY to help, without actually doing anything to try to answer the original question. So, your purpose here is to tell everyone else how stupid they are without actually helping anyone other than to point out how superior you are?

I DID answer a question... how to find free disk space in Linux, a question I had. You didn't answer a single question in this, you just pointed fingers and tried to play bully on the playground.

rc3105
10-26-2004, 04:33 PM
as of right now you have 57 posts in 7 days and I can't see ANYTHING you've contributed besides confusion

It is innappropriate to offer conjecture in the guise of a solution.
JJBliss has allready admonished you about spouting off on topics you know nothing about - the letters Administrator under his name should have clued you in to heed those warnings

here's another clue in case you haven't read enough to notice yet - I'm also a mod - every time you make a mess confusing others WE get to clean it up

*mod hat on

Please refrain from posting conjecture, mis-information or wishfull thinking and be sure to use the search feature before posting redundant questions. slow down, read, learn how to use the forum as a resource

*losing the hat

this is not download.com or any of the other tivo sites, maybe you really don't realize it but you're acting like a troll and not very var from getting booted

JJBliss
10-26-2004, 04:39 PM

Please stop.

Please.

JJBliss
10-26-2004, 04:41 PM
JJ, please read the above. YOU told me that dir was aliased to ls, and then IMMEDIATELY ask me why I'd offer it as a suggestion since I KNEW that dir didn't exist.

<sigh> I said that Folks sometimes alias ls to dir to make it easier for them when coming from a DOS world

JJBliss
10-26-2004, 04:42 PM
I simply assumed he'd used the Sleeper ISO.

Please stop.

Please.

kadiir
10-26-2004, 04:44 PM
I know it would be a pain, but would it be possible to delete snowman's posts that are incorrect/misleading? I know he confused me a bit.

kad

JJBliss
10-26-2004, 04:50 PM
I know it would be a pain, but would it be possible to delete snowman's posts that are incorrect/misleading? I know he confused me a bit.

kad
Well, quite unfortunatley, he tends to that himself. If you notice a large percentage of his posts are self-edited with the text no message. I'm not sure where he learned this tidbit of poor netiquette, but it is disturbing to say the least.

It makes the threads all but useless in addition to spreading confusion and misinformation.

The effect is that the entire thread is trashed, and not just his posts.

My best recommendation for snowman is to STOP. Just stop. For a while.

I wonder if snowman walks into a room in real life and just begins talking to all the strangers about whatever they were talking about before he walked in, in the middle of their conversations. Or does he stop and listen for a while, and join in when appropriate?

kadiir
10-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Hmmm, makes me think snowman is one of my coworkers - she does that all day long. We all figure that if she didn't eavesdrop & force her way into other people's conversations no one would ever talk to her.

kad

snowman
10-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Well, quite unfortunatley, he tends to that himself. If you notice a large percentage of his posts are self-edited with the text no message. I'm not sure where he learned this tidbit of poor netiquette, but it is disturbing to say the least.

No, actually, it wasn't poor netiquette at all. I had just gotten sick of the endless bashing and people telling me that I'm not helping but refusing to offer any help themselves. I figured it was time to delete anything I had to say and be gone, rather than live on with "banned" under my name like so many others have done. I then realized that despite the few that want to treat others like dirt, there are some useful people and useful information to be had, so I'd just try to steer clear of the ****s instead. Of course, come to find out, they seem to like to follow me around.

I wonder if snowman walks into a room in real life and just begins talking to all the strangers about whatever they were talking about before he walked in, in the middle of their conversations. Or does he stop and listen for a while, and join in when appropriate?

No you don't. You wonder how you can make an underhanded insult without being TOO obvious. And that above is nothing more than an underhanded insult, trying to provoke a negative response. I believe that's called baiting.

alldeadhomiez
10-26-2004, 08:18 PM
I figured it was time to delete anything I had to say and be gone

No, it's time for you to stop talking and start reading. You're annoying the crap out of everyone else on this site. Since you can't take a hint I'm putting you in the penalty box.

Study and digest the sticky posts, learn basic UNIX commands, and switch to decaf. See you back in a few days.

(Guess that makes me one of the "****s" - oh well.)

rc3105
10-26-2004, 08:19 PM
...so I'd just try to steer clear of the ****s instead. Of course, come to find out, they seem to like to follow me around.
there's a forum option to search for all new posts - some people use it to stay current

can you think of a group of people that might do that on a regular basis? oh, that's right, the MODERATORS

there are people that've been here YEARS w/o feeling the need to post as much as you allready have - of course you're drawing attention

TCF is the social club if you just want to ramble on w/o learning anything or making a point

AVD
10-27-2004, 10:01 PM
<strike> test: the quick brown cow jumped over the two lazy geese </strike>

TiVoByte
11-03-2004, 09:14 PM
"please stop

Please"

The "fox"

Ok, I had a beer or two before I sifted thru the sewer, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but the simple truth of

please stop

please.

had me rolling on the floor.

Easily amused.

RS

tytyty
11-03-2004, 09:21 PM
<s>hockey</s>
<strike>back</strike>

mrblack51
11-03-2004, 11:05 PM
the strike code is [ s ] and [ / s ], without the spaces of course

tytyty
11-03-2004, 11:27 PM
the strike code is [ s ] and [ / s ], without the spaces of course
Great Il I'll make use of it in future, assmuing i ever make a mistake :)