PDA

View Full Version : Hacking 2.5 (what are we going to do?)

icetre
09-07-2001, 08:40 PM
In my opinion we need to look at the image of 2.5 that's on the aforementioned server and try to figure out how to get a working hack into the image itself, then someone that wants to install say---- the fixup script would just have to restore that image and presto! they have 2.5 and the fixup script running in a loop of course.

I am downloading the 2.5 backup image and I will be installing it here in a few, going to see what the deal with it is.

Tell you all later.:D

icetre
09-07-2001, 08:41 PM
We need to find a way to MOUNT the image first.

The very fact that 2.5 can be backed up tells us that all is not lost.

Adam

Juppers
09-07-2001, 09:52 PM
I hope something is figured out pretty darn quick cause it is downloading on my T60 right now. :)

icetre
09-07-2001, 10:27 PM
Couldn't we find some way to point the /var dir to /dev/null?
That would make it at least so when we DO have to call in we wouldn't have any logs to get them.

icetre
09-08-2001, 12:24 AM
OK, the install of 2.5 went bad-- Got an error #51, the tivo booted, but it seemed like there was something wrong. In the info screen everything was correct except the Account Status and the Tivo account number status was lifetime and account number was 00000000000 I am now restoring from backup, argh.

Does anyone know
a. what the hell sony error #51 is?
b. What I did wrong?

icetre
09-08-2001, 01:29 AM
Loaded again from a virgin image and it's looking like I am downloading 2.5 right now, though I can tell you how I did it is loading that bad 2.5 image, and forcing a call, then it loaded 2.5 again (I am assuming because the prom didn't match the os it was running) if it is downloading 2.5 I will back it up before I restart it, does anyone want to host the image? I will even remove my profile thereby making it virgin. I am hoping by posting this someone will take the time to look at it and possible someone smarter than I will play with it and figure out what we can do about the update lockout.

The only thing is that I am so excited, I can't wait for compression, so it's gonna have to be compressed via RAR or something cause I am so excited I am about to pee myself.

HACK THE PLANET..

Okay now that's out of my system.. :D

Adam

CyberDude
09-08-2001, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by icetre
Loaded again from a virgin image and it's looking like I am downloading 2.5 right now, though I can tell you how I did it is loading that bad 2.5 image, and forcing a call, then it loaded 2.5 again (I am assuming because the prom didn't match the os it was running) if it is downloading 2.5 I will back it up before I restart it, does anyone want to host the image? I will even remove my profile thereby making it virgin. I am hoping by posting this someone will take the time to look at it and possible someone smarter than I will play with it and figure out what we can do about the update lockout.

The only thing is that I am so excited, I can't wait for compression, so it's gonna have to be compressed via RAR or something cause I am so excited I am about to pee myself.

HACK THE PLANET..

Okay now that's out of my system.. :D

Adam

If you get a good backup image people can use, by all means upload it to ftp://ftp.abs.net/incoming/ :)

GoneSilent
09-08-2001, 02:38 AM
the drive is now locked to the box you will have to catch the and back up a unit before it reboots

CyberDude
09-08-2001, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by GoneSilent
the drive is now locked to the box you will have to catch the and back up a unit before it reboots

Humm, so your saying with 2.5 people will no longer be able to swap backups, as they are embedding test for the hardware serial number in the OS now?? If so that sucks, but sure someone will find a way to fix it, just has to get into circulation..

icetre
09-08-2001, 01:29 PM
I backed it up before it rebooted.

It's on cyberdude's site.
Go ahead try it.
The other image he has on there works just fine too

So in other words, (for the hearing impared)
I backed it up after download when it said pending restart, it's 2.0.1 with a pending restart. :) When booted from scratch, it will install 2.5 on ANY machine! :D

icetre
09-08-2001, 01:31 PM
Can someone try it and tell me if it works, I was so excited last night I didn't want to bother with testing or compression, (it's compressed with RAR

CyberDude
09-08-2001, 03:07 PM
OK, Image is available on the site. Now does it work, no idea, so if anyone tries it and can post and let us know, it would be appreicated..

surgeon
09-08-2001, 03:50 PM
If anyone can catch v2.5 for the Philip's DSR6000 or the Hughes' GXCEBOT and image it before it reboots I'd like to have a copy of the image to work with... Please post asap... Thanks!

CyberDude
09-08-2001, 04:13 PM
I'll be happy to put up images of them as well, just gotta find someone to send me a copy.. :)

mrblack51
09-08-2001, 04:57 PM
it would be appreciated if an sfv or md5 checksum could be sent with the backup, so it can be checked after downloading. i appreciate all the work people have put in to getting these backups out there.

icetre
09-08-2001, 06:31 PM
It was compressed on the source drive with winrar using the solid archive options. If something is wrong with the archive, you will know about it.

SuperVHS
09-08-2001, 09:22 PM
You can backup your hard drive while pending restart.

It might be a good idea for someone to try to catch it at this point.

Be sure to backup partitions 1-7 individually so you get the existing s/w and the next revision.

mfstools only backs up the active software.

Thanks all

icetre
09-08-2001, 11:25 PM
Quoting from the mfstool manual:

"everything that is not a recording is saved, Always."

That's exactly what I did.

mfstool backup -f2000 -i /mnt/c/ice2.5t-60.bak /dev/hdb

The machine had JUST downloaded and loaded the data, and call status was pending restart.

I went in, unhooked everything pull apart the hdd and backed it up.

Then after backup was complete I went in and put it all back together and booted up to Tivo is installing new software.

compressed with winrar in windows and uploaded to the site.

Is this clear enough?

Can someone let me know if it worked or not?

Adam

BubbaJ
09-11-2001, 11:34 PM
What would be REALLY useful is a dd archive of hda3/4 or hda6/7 (kernel/root) (whichever got the update) before allowing the machine to reboot.

I'd like not to lose my now showing list, etc

if anyone can verify that loading this backup will not trash the data important to me, let me know...

KRavEN
09-12-2001, 11:18 AM
This is the way to go for sure.

If anyone gets 2.5 and has the pending restart screen, please pull the drive and do a the following:

Boot with the bootcd

Mount your non tivo partition to /mnt

do a "dd if=/dev/hdx7 of=/mnt/pre25-p7.img bs=32k"
then "dd if=/dev/hdx6 of=/mnt/pre25-p6.img bs=32k"
next "dd if=/dev/hdx4 of=/mnt/pre25-p4.img bs=32k"
and finally "dd if=/dev/hdx3 of=/mnt/pre25-p3.img bs=32k"

x in hdx should be replaced with the proper device letter

then unmount your non tivo partition and gzip the files and send them to lure.

After the is done we simply restore these partitions to our own drives and we should be good.

If you've allready been updated to 2.5 and want to help us in getting these partition dumps, you can restore a non 2.5 backup and then let it dial in. It should get the update pretty quickly.

BubbaJ
09-12-2001, 05:28 PM
do a "dd if=/dev/hdx7|gzip|dd of=/mnt/pre25-p7.gz"
then "dd if=/dev/hdx6|gzip|dd of=/mnt/pre25-p6.gz"
next "dd if=/dev/hdx4|gzip|dd of=/mnt/pre25-p4.gz"
and finally "dd if=/dev/hdx3|gzip|dd of=/mnt/pre25-p3.gz"

is WAY cooler.. :) and saves time even....

KRavEN
09-12-2001, 05:43 PM
True, just wasn't thinking all fancy at the time. =]

KRavEN
09-12-2001, 05:46 PM
and as soon as I get the final 2.5, I should be able to figure out how to get rid of this problem fairly quickly. Then we can share backups again.

Funny how this isn't the case with the beta.

milhouse
09-12-2001, 06:30 PM
Couldn't we just restore icetre's image to a spare drive and then to the procedure mentioned above, or am I missing something.

Milhouse.

TheDoctor
09-12-2001, 09:31 PM
I have a question about this that I have not seen addressed. As I understand it, one of the features of 2.5 is that it will allow tivo to load data directly into the machine, calls will only be made up upload data. (I know on the SA units that software updates can be sent as slice files.)

What is the likelyhood that 2.5 will be the last version that you have a choice not to receive? I am not trying to spread FUD here, but currently the undate process requires a major effort for tivo to deploy. Under the new system, they may be able broadcast a new version to every 2.5 machine in operation in minutes. So within a week of a hack to 2.5 being posted, 2.6 could be deployed to prevent it.

Has anyone seen in writting that tivo/directtv has pledged not to disable the second tuner in a few months unless you are willing to a second subscription? What policies if any, has anyone seen posted? I know right now, DirectTv has a very tivo friendly policy, but I have not seen them put it out in writting. And tivo appears to be willing to go to unusual measure to "preserver market share"/"make a buck".

BubbaJ
09-13-2001, 10:30 AM
Ice Images: PROBABLY do not contain the pending reboot kernel and pending reboot root.. (I say probably because I read that mfstools would not back them up)

Updates: In theory, on a directivo, an update could be made at any time, as the packaging allows control sequences as well. In any event, If that becomes an issue, we can just remove that piece of the functionality, I'm not sure exactly how yet, but it would basically involve writing a debugger and seeing when the jump is made into the routine that decompresses the image, writes it to the spare partition and reboots, and replace it with a return or a NOP..

zeek
09-13-2001, 02:00 PM
Has anyone restored ICE's copy of 2.5?
I downloaded it with the intention of doing just that, but decided to wait until some of the more knowledgeable ppl here have overcome some of the issues with this release...

zeek

Klips
09-15-2001, 02:58 AM
I'm curious to when in the process does the PROM get updated. Is it when it is downloaded and pending a restart. Or is it done when it is restarted?

icetre
09-15-2001, 05:57 PM
Well at the very least. They got people thinking... :)

Glitched
09-17-2001, 05:39 PM
i never could get a concrete answer here..... so ice's 2.5 backup did not work??? has it been tested ? thanks..

BubbaJ
09-17-2001, 08:10 PM
AFAIK ices image has not been tested

ovit
09-17-2001, 09:24 PM
If your refering to the "restore" of ice's 2.5 yes it werked for me, ran it on new IBM deskstar and it werks fine, now if we can just get 2.5 "fixedup" we be set :)

surgeon
09-18-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by ovit
If your refering to the "restore" of ice's 2.5 yes it werked for me, ran it on new IBM deskstar and it werks fine, now if we can just get 2.5 "fixedup" we be set :)

Am I to understand that you were able to restore icetre's v2.5 files from CyberDude's ftp site to a totally different system and have it boot; do the upgrade; and end up with v2.5 running??? Did you restore it to another T60 or a DSR6000???

ovit
09-18-2001, 12:18 AM
This stuff is kinda new to me so my terminology might not be correct...........I restored ice 2.5 to a new drive, tivo booted up did some database updated and stuff and is now running, hope that answers your question.

Note the file name was Ice2.5t-60.bak

icetre
09-18-2001, 12:15 PM
Great, now we need to work on some of the problems with 2.5.

Some of the big ones are the daily call, and now I found a new one.

If you are emulating, the showcases and tivolution mag do not work.

Now the question -- Is tivo storing info on the card, and if so, where. This all might be easier than we thought.

icetre
09-18-2001, 12:17 PM
IF you guys really didn't think that my Images wouldn't work then why not try the method that I got to 2.5 posted elsewhere in the threads?

Juppers
09-18-2001, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by icetre
Great, now we need to work on some of the problems with 2.5.

Some of the big ones are the daily call, and now I found a new one.

If you are emulating, the showcases and tivolution mag do not work.

Now the question -- Is tivo storing info on the card, and if so, where. This all might be easier than we thought.

I am emulating and I have Showcases and Tivolution Mag. But to get it, I had to pull my drive, leave the DTiVo unplugged, mount the drive, remove /var, then boot with the sub card and make a daily call. Back to the emulator I went, and now I have both.

One thing I would REALLY like to find is the hard reset for the DTV
side of the unit. I have found some of the diagnostic screens that tell you prom versions and such with a combination of display and arrow keys on the unit itself, not the remote.

I don't think they are storing anything on the card, not really any room there for them to use. It more looks like they don't ok 2.5 units for the sat downloads until they call in a few times after they upgrade. If I stop getting those 2 features, I will post further.

surgeon
09-18-2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Juppers
I don't think they are storing anything on the card, not really any room there for them to use. It more looks like they don't ok 2.5 units for the sat downloads until they call in a few times after they upgrade. If I stop getting those 2 features, I will post further.

One possibility is that the showcase/magazine downloads are set up as a new DTV tier which is only activated by the unit dialing-in a few times. Tier activation is sent down with the normal data stream and targeted to a particular IRD which then stores the tier & it's expiration date on the card. This is a problem for EMU users, as the current EMU software(s) don't allow for additional tiers to be added. This is the same problem that causes the "call 745" to appear when an advance PPV recording is attempted under EMU. This appears to be an even bigger problem for the UltimateTV systems, so hopefully new EMU software will address this soon...

-Surgeon-

Juppers
09-18-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by surgeon

One possibility is that the showcase/magazine downloads are set up as a new DTV tier which is only activated by the unit dialing-in a few times. Tier activation is sent down with the normal data stream and targeted to a particular IRD which then stores the tier & it's expiration date on the card. This is a problem for EMU users, as the current EMU software(s) don't allow for additional tiers to be added. This is the same problem that causes the "call 745" to appear when an advance PPV recording is attempted under EMU. This appears to be an even bigger problem for the UltimateTV systems, so hopefully new EMU software will address this soon...

-Surgeon-

The current EMU software can handle all these troubles. Just turn off the 3m and run an image of a subscribed card. The PPV problem is because they were smart enough to realize legit users have to pay to view it. No purchase info, no reason to record it. Why don't 3ms allow for this? Cause most of them hide their code in the ever changing PPV areas of the card. If it was a tier added, then emu software would have no problem with that. 3Ms accept all tiers, targeted or not. So we can write that one off.

It seems to me, it is probably a MFS flag. Other than that, they are sending it via DTiVo serials after they see you dialup 72 hoursish after upgrading to 2.5. Just my observations.

Glitched
09-18-2001, 05:51 PM
the reason that you have no tivomag or showcases is simple... these are tivo specific functions. IE they are downloaded through the phoneline when a daily call is made(as juppers demonstrated), its NOT a tier for those features that much i am sure. The biggest thing here is to realize that althought a DirecTivo is a combo unit, you still have to seperate devices working in that one box.

EXAMPLE... notice that the combo unit will make two calls...one to directv, and one to tivo. As we all know the guide for the directivo comes through the satalite, but its not really a "tivo guide" in the sense of the way a standalone unit works. its still a standard directv guide the tivo part of a direstivo is adapted to be able to use this directv guide info. AS you all know im sure ;)

so the only way to get these features is to allow the tivo to make its calls in order to download these features, or it may be possible to add them manually as standalone users do with slice files. But really, do you miss the tivomag that much?? ;)

as far as the ppv record function using an emulator this can be solved very simply by using an actication script on your core file
(once again which jumpers hinted at) and turning the included 3m off(/n0 in SLE), but this brings about a worse problem of not having a ppv's open at all times.... i personally :D just have an activaion core i switch into if i REALLY want to record a ppv in advance(although it is kinda a pain in the ass).

these are mearly my obervations, as phone lines dont come near any of my televsion viewing equipment!! ;)

icetre
09-18-2001, 06:43 PM
And you don't need to download tivolution!
It comes in through the sat supposedly

superzap
09-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Glitched

as far as the ppv record function using an emulator this can be solved very simply by using an actication script on your core file
(once again which jumpers hinted at) and turning the included 3m off(/n0 in SLE), but this brings about a worse problem of not having a ppv's open at all times.... i personally :D just have an activaion core i switch into if i REALLY want to record a ppv in advance(although it is kinda a pain in the ass).

Running SummitStealth 3m on the emu cor should give you all ppv record functions, both ppv in progress and future. All ppv shows in progress are open, only future ppv shows have to be "bought" to record. I haven't tried it on a dtivo but it works on UTV, which probably uses the same ppv logic. Kalyna has just released KalynaEmuUltimate which has the cor with SS or easily build your own. :)

CyberDude
09-21-2001, 04:21 AM
Well I got my 2.5 update today, and turned around and shutdown right away and went to do some backups. Some of the partitions listed above seemed to be blank, but as it wasn't all that big I just backed up all the partitions from 0-8 on the A drive, so basically everything but the actual video streams..

Not sure if anyone has had any real luck with the 2.5 stuff or not, but for one I am happy to have dual tuners.. :)

surgeon
09-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by CyberDude
Well I got my 2.5 update today, and turned around and shutdown right away and went to do some backups. Some of the partitions listed above seemed to be blank, but as it wasn't all that big I just backed up all the partitions from 0-8 on the A drive, so basically everything but the actual video streams..

Not sure if anyone has had any real luck with the 2.5 stuff or not, but for one I am happy to have dual tuners.. :)

What model unit do you have and have you zip'ed the backup and posted it yet?

-surgeon-

Glitched
09-21-2001, 01:40 PM
in reference to superzaps post on how to fix the schedule a ppv to record in advance feature, using summit stealth on your cor DOES fix this... and to think i doubted you ;)

CyberDude
09-21-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by surgeon

What model unit do you have and have you zip'ed the backup and posted it yet?

-surgeon-

I have the Sony SAT-T60, and I have not posted it yet, as I know some of the partitions do contain ID information. As I said I backed up everything, once I figure out what filesystems really need to be provided I can make up a needed archive with no problem.

I backed the up and saved them as stuff like Root1, Root2, Var, and just followed the listing as I got from the Linux boot disk when I looked at the drive.

-CD

surgeon
09-21-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CyberDude
I have the Sony SAT-T60, and I have not posted it yet...

Damn! Doesn't *ANYBODY* but me have a Philips DSR6000 or Hughes GXCEBOT??? I'd *really* like to get my hands on a v2.5 "upgrade in progress" image to work with...

-surgeon-

WildCard
09-22-2001, 03:55 AM
I thought the phillips, sony and hughes were all the same, but for minor IR setting changes on the remote?

Is that not the case?
-WC-

surgeon
09-22-2001, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by WildCard
I thought the phillips, sony and hughes were all the same, but for minor IR setting changes on the remote?

Is that not the case?
-WC-

Philips DSR6000 and Hughes GXCEBOT are *exactly* the same including the remote codes. The Sony T60 uses different remote codes and mixing it into one of the other two can cause strange problems...

I want to try to hack v2.5 by combining it with parts of my current v2.01 and need to start with the right software... (IE: I need someone who has a Philips or Hughes DTivo to back it up when v2.5 downloads & while it's pending a restart to install it...)

-surgeon-