PDA

View Full Version : 4.01 on S2 help please :^)

shstevens
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I obtained a 4.01b image and a killhdinitrd'ed 4.01a kernel.

I restored the image successfully on my non-RID HDVR2 and booted just fine. I did a clear and delete all since it wasn't my original image, of course.

I then backed it up to get a new starting point.

bootpage -p showed me my bootpage was 7.

I dd'ed the killhdinitrd'ed 4.01a kernel to /dev/hdc6 (sec master in my case).
I put in a rc.sysinit.author that is right

When I boot up after the "Powering Up" screen, right when it would head to the "A few more seconds" screen it does a reboot and then hangs at that point with a black screen on the next cycle. There isn't a fallback OS as it is a fresh install so I suppose that is what is going on.

When I take the drive out again, all the modifications I did on the 7 partition are wiped.

Questions:
I should be able to run 4.01b with a hacked 4.01a kernel right?

Does my overall procedure sound right?

Any ideas what would cause the Tivo to do this? Could it possibly be a non-hacked 4.01a kernel that I am using by mistake, etc?

Thanks for your time with the newbies :^)

Shawn

NutKase
10-30-2004, 07:47 PM
It you'll post your serial output it would help a lot with troubleshooting.

Also, if your .author is still there you haven't used an unhacked 4.0.1a kernel. If you use an unhacked (killhdinitrd'd) kernel it will delete it and any other changed files... one way to check.

NutKase

shstevens
10-30-2004, 08:19 PM
My friend has my serial cable, so I will have to get it back. It does wipe out any files I put on the root partition (including the .author), so I guessed it wasn't a hacked kernel. I will try to run killhdinitrd on it to see what it tells me.

I should be able to just use the 4.01a kernel with 4.01b OS though right?

Thanks,
Shawn

pmn1
10-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Did you run killinitrd on the 4.01b image and killHDinitrd on the 4.01a?"

shstevens
10-30-2004, 11:23 PM
No, I think that is where I messed up. I thought they both were applied to a kernel. I need to killinit the 4.01b I think...

Thanks,
Shawn

shstevens
10-31-2004, 09:33 AM
nm, figured it out :^)

tadut
10-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Would you be so kind as to post what you've found.

shstevens
10-31-2004, 11:17 PM
I was confused on whether I needed to monte from the killhdinitrd'ed 4.01a kernel into a 4.01b kernel, but by playing with it I found that I could just do a kernel replacement and no monte was needed. I am finally up on 4.01b thanks to some research and the experiences and help of the people on this board and it is pretty cool. Now I am hoping to see the RID solution soon as I have one of those boxes :^)

Shawn

geminicat
10-31-2004, 11:44 PM
I am still running Monte on all my 4.0 HDVR2's. I guess I was still under the impression you had to Monte the unit if you were still using 4.0 on a DTiVo. I guess I should read more carefully since killhdinitrd has been out for so long now!!! Off to read Nutkases threads!!!!!!

shstevens
11-01-2004, 12:03 AM
I just gave it a stab, although I am sure someone said it could be done somewhere on the board.

I am not sure why NutKase is monte'ing, other than to keep a known bootable kernel that he can fallback to if his experimental kernel doesn't load. There is a killhdinitrd'ed kernel for pretty much all of the SW versions out there. In fact I am running a 3.1.1c to load 3.1.1e on my RID DVR40, a 4.01a to load a 4.01b-2003 on my HDVR2 and a 3.1.5 to load a 3.1.5d on my HD HR10-250. Guess I am benefitting from killhdinitrd in the biggest way, heh.

4.01b is really nice, the MP3 is sweet. I can't use the MRV until I get another HDVR2 or the RID 4.0 comes out - not sure which will happen first hehe.

I was having trouble eariler in the thread because I was putting a 4.01a kernel that WASN'T killhdinitrd'ed. I thought it was, but it wasn't patched so it was booting ok, but blowing away all my modifications (expected behavior now that I know what I was doing). I was incorrectly told I needed to killinit on the full version as the person must have assumed I was trying to monte from a killHDinit into another kernel (that would have to be killinit'ed if that is what I was doing).

Was really a simple procedure once all the lightbulbs went off, heh.

Shawn

magua
11-01-2004, 12:12 AM
I am not sure why NutKase is monte'ing, other than to keep a known bootable kernel that he can fallback to if his experimental kernel doesn't load.

I killhdinitrd + monte to have an LBA48 4.0.1 kernel.

NutKase
11-01-2004, 01:09 AM
I killhdinitrd + monte to have an LBA48 4.0.1 kernel.

And that OR the need to use another 'experimental-type' kernel is the only reason you still might need to monte.

The simple explanation is:

You don't need to monte to 'hack' your tivo to put your own custom software on it.

IOW, to enable... bash, telnet, ftp, etc. all you need to do is properly killhdinitrd a compatible kernel and install the appropriate software (installing your favorite hacks) in the / or root partition.

Monte is ONLY required if you want to run a NON-killhdinitrd supported kernel (like LBA48 et all) as your main tivo OS.

NutKase