PDA

View Full Version : Wow.

MunchE
10-31-2004, 08:39 AM
So, I've been reading around on here a lot, looking to mod my TiVo for extraction and whatnot, since it would make it a lot more useful for me. This is the most common forum linked, so I read around a lot.

I'm pretty astounded.

Of all of the modding communities I've ever seen, this has to be the worst. It looks like all of the hacks are made purposely unfriendly to people just to force them to "learn" so they can be part of your club. I am far from a novice, but it seems the things that make this easier (sleeper's iso) are frowned upon, and they tell everyone to go learn how to do it all manually. Wtf? I want to extract video from my tivo, not learn the inner workings of it. It was hopefully an ease of use thing, preventing me from having to get a capture card and rip that way. But it seems setting up a PVR box with a capture card is not only going to be easier, but have a community with a lot better attitude.

I've spent a lot of time reading posts on here tonight, and I consistently see an attitude from the people in charge that everyone else is someone who needs to learn the inner workings of tivo, or they don't DESERVE to be able to hack it. "enjoy your stock tivo" is said over and over again.

It really amazes me that a community can be so immature, both in the advancement sense (with the crudeness of all of the hacks) and in the attitude sense.

As a complete TiVo newbie on the outside looking in, I can say that I'm stepping away from this forum and never coming back. Maybe there's another forum on the internet that doesn't have this bad attitude...great, hope I find it.

I'm well aware this post will just be moved to the Sewer. But I hope the people on this forum realize, even outside the drama filled posts I see where people are shooting down the other people complaining about this community, to someone who's never been here before, this place is unfriendly, elitist, and lame. Why have a Sewer when you have bad attitudes in every post?

JJBliss
10-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Enjoy Tivocommunity Forum

Moved to Sewer.

AlphaWolf
10-31-2004, 10:52 AM
As a complete TiVo newbie on the outside looking in, I can say that I'm stepping away from this forum and never coming back. Maybe there's another forum on the internet that doesn't have this bad attitude...great, hope I find it.

www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb

Have fun.

Fugg
10-31-2004, 04:45 PM
So, I've been reading around on here a lot, happily modding my TiVo for extraction and whatnot, since it makes it a lot more useful for me. This is the most common forum linked, and I read around a lot.

I'm pretty astounded.

Of all of the modding communities I've ever seen, this one is pretty decent. It looks like all of the hacks are made purposely seperate and simplistic to allow newbies to "understand what they do and how to use them" so they can actually understand what they are doing to their tivo. I am actually not far from a novice, but it seems the things that at one time appeared to make this easier but now can do more harm than good (sleeper's iso) are frowned upon because of the development of newer, better methods, and they tell everyone to go learn how to do it all manually. Wtf? That kicks! I don't have to "trust" some all-in-one iso that loads way more hacks than I want on my tivo! I want to extract video from my tivo, not to have to learn the inner workings of how that all-in-one iso modified my box when I want to add something own my own, or (god forbid!) when something breaks. It was thankfully an ease of use thing, and it prevented me from having to get a capture card and rip that way. It seems setting up a PVR box with a capture card may seem easier, but I get to bypass another a-to-d step, get better quality AND have a community with a lot better attitude.

I've spent a lot of time reading posts here, and I consistently see an attitude from some of the people just getting started who refuse to learn about even the most simple inner workings of their tivo, when not given an "easy, no-thought method", they accuse folks (usually the mods) here of insisting they don't DESERVE to be able to hack their tivo. "enjoy your stock tivo" is said over and over again in response to their rantings, usually. (you can lead a horse to water,....)

It really amazes me that folks can be so immature, both in the advancement sense (with the unwillingness to attempt, even) and in the attitude sense.

As a almost complete TiVo newbie on the inside looking out, it amazes me that folks just don’t step away and stop trying to help anybody altogether. Maybe there's another forum on the internet that caters to the “I want it NOW” attitude... I hope the folks who want it that way can find one.

I'm well aware this post is in the Sewer but I hope the newbies find, even outside the drama filled posts I see where people are attempting to "shoot down" those who try to point them in the right direction, the other people who are not complaining about this community and are willing to help. This place can be friendly, full of information ready to find, and pretty much the best there is for this hobby. We have a Sewer for those who have bad attitudes, and a chance, maybe, to try again.

I wish them the best of luck, whatever they decide.

chrised
10-31-2004, 06:30 PM
As a almost complete TiVo newbie on the inside looking out, it amazes me that folks just don’t step away and stop trying to help anybody altogether.

I'd like to echo that. I'm a genuine newbie thats lurked here quite a while, and recently really dug in and done alot of the hacks (all manually. I refused to use Sleeper last February cuz I couldn't tell what it was going to do <now I fully understand the thing, but have no desire to use it> ).

I've found that virtually every question has been asked and answered here already. All you have to do is the famous "Search" and exercise some patience in finding your answers.

Even as a newbie monitoring all the new posts lately, I get disgusted seeing some of the pathetic basic "handholding/beginner" questions, and amazed at how politely (usually) they are helped, particularly coming from some of the best talent in group. I often ask "Why do they even take the time to respond?"

It just goes to show that people are helpful here, despite the opinion of the first poster in this thread.

Maybe there's another forum on the internet that caters to the “I want it NOW” attitude... I hope the folks who want it that way can find one.

I believe that would be "Ebay", where we have a few clowns selling "Fully modded" units. If they want everything handed to them, they should be willing to pay the premium up front and go elsewhere for support.

MunchE
10-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Ebay? Nah. I'm just going to set up a HTPC instead. More flexibility and multiple communities all working on it without the elitist attitude. Just realize your attitudes here have sent me off, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Just one of the ones who posted about it.

fixn278
10-31-2004, 11:43 PM
Ebay? Nah. I'm just going to set up a HTPC instead. More flexibility and multiple communities all working on it without the elitist attitude. Just realize your attitudes here have sent me off, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Just one of the ones who posted about it.

So why keep posting? Just go away.

cojonesdetoro
11-01-2004, 12:40 AM
You're looking for an appliance. Tivo is an appliance when you buy it but it can be made into so much more. The price for that is to learn how. No one here is paid to spoon feed you the ability to hack your tivo.

In some ways, it's like HAM radio. In order to get into that hobby you have to do some serious study, pass some tests and be licensed. If you don't want that hassle then go get an FRS radio or a CB. But, if you want to put up a big honkin' antenna, talk to the world and not piss off the FCC, then you gotta do your homework.

It's too bad that it upsets you but that's just the way it is. There are no easy answers.

BTW, You'll see that the PC route requires a lot of work and frustration tolerance as well. Have fun.

MunchE
11-01-2004, 12:58 AM
So why keep posting? Just go away.

Call it a naive hope that people will change their bad attitudes. :) Plus I'm really bored. Got playback and remote access into my HTPC set up quicker than it takes to even find the information on this forum. Glad to see some people out there are making professional software with professional attitudes.

fixn278
11-01-2004, 01:24 AM
... I can say that I'm stepping away from this forum and never coming back.

A complainer and a liar... Exactly what value do you think you are adding other than noise?

JohnSorTivo
11-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Other have said it, and I'll reiterate, no one is entitled to a hacked Tivo, bottom line. We particpate and contribute to this forum because it is a hobby we thoroughly enjoy. When other like-minded individuals come along, interested in the hobby, and willing to learn, they take to time to do so, and eventually become productive / contributing members of the forum themselves, and this is how the forum continues to grow.

When the leeches show up, looking to siphon off of other's contributions and efforts, and then get mad when these very people, who are under no obligation whatsoever, don't provide these passer-bys a step-by-step hand-held instruction booklet, I can't help but be bewildered.

It's the whole "I deserve it and give it to me now mentality" that turns many of the regulars users of this forum off.

MunchE
11-01-2004, 09:10 PM
A complainer and a liar... Exactly what value do you think you are adding other than noise?

I posted on the misguided notion that this community was out there to help people and promote modding. I realize now that it's a closed forum for a bunch of cranky hobbiests to stroke each other's egos.

If you guys were wondering, I have MCE 2k5 up and running doing everything a hacked TiVo would do but better, and oddly all of the plugins and features over at TGB aren't made by whining elitists. Good riddance.

PS: I'm still coming back because I enjoy annoying the stupid people of the internet. :)

JohnSorTivo
11-01-2004, 09:17 PM
If you guys were wondering, I have MCE 2k5 up and running doing everything a hacked TiVo would do but better
We weren't.

alldeadhomiez
11-01-2004, 09:46 PM
I posted on the misguided notion that this community was out there to help people and promote modding.

We don't need to "promote" anything. We provide information to people who want to learn, period.

Since you do not fit into that category (and there's nothing wrong with that; it's not for everyone), you will either cease posting snide comments or you will be permanently removed from our "closed, elitist forum."

mrblack51
11-01-2004, 09:52 PM
PS: I'm still coming back because I enjoy annoying the stupid people of the internet. :)

PS - you wont be doing that here - enjoy the ban

malfunct
11-02-2004, 10:54 AM
If you guys were wondering, I have MCE 2k5 up and running doing everything a hacked TiVo would do but better, and oddly all of the plugins and features over at TGB aren't made by whining elitists. Good riddance.

Been there, done that, like tivo better. MCE doesn't hook together so silky smooth (even the newest incarnation and yes I have access to the betas too) as the tivo software does.